Why are so many Christians still so confused about the afterlife?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PART I
One of the most misunderstood doctrines in Christendom is the doctrine of the afterlife. And part of the reason for this is that the Hebrew and Greek words Sheol, Hades, and Tartarus were all translated as either “hell” or “the grave” by the King James translators. Had they simply transliterated them, much confusion could have been avoided. Therefore the correct word has been inserted in the quotations from the King James Bible (shown below).

Many people believe that no one goes to Heaven after they die, even if they are saved. Many others believe that souls sleep in the ground six feet under the soil. Many others believe that Christians go to Purgatory until they are prayed out of it. Many believe that people are simply annihilated in the end. Many others think that there is no eternal Hell. All of this is because many groups have promoted false doctrines about these matters for a long time, and people have failed to examine them carefully. Behind all this is Satan, who loves to sow spiritual confusion, and does not want people to see the reality of Hell.

However, there is no need to be confused if we take all the relevant Scriptures into account and see what God and Christ have revealed to us, since only they know what is true and what is false about the afterlife. So what the Bible says -- rightly divided -- is all that matters.

A. Physical death
When people die, their souls and spirits are separated from their bodies, and the bodies are buried in graves:
And it came to pass, as her soul was in departing, (for she died) that she called his name Benoni: but his father called him Benjamin. And Rachel died, and was buried in the way to Ephrath, which is Bethlehem. (Gen 35:18,19). It should be noted that many pagan religions either burn the bodies of the deceased, or give them to the carrion to be consumed. But Christians are to be buried, not cremated like the pagans. Also, the spirits of unbelievers are already dead “in trespasses and sins”, so only their souls go to Sheol/Hades. But the spirits of believers are alive, and very closely associated with their souls (though distinct from each other). Thus souls and spirits stay together.

B. All souls went to Sheol/Hades before Christ’s resurrection
I said,“In the prime of my life I shall go to the gates of Sheol; I am deprived of the remainder of my years.” (the words of Hezekiah in Isaiah 38:10 NKJV). Unfortunately, the KJV has “the grave” for “Sheol”, which has led to a lot of confusion. Sheol may literally have gates, since Christ spoke of “the gates of Hades” (which is the Greek word for “Sheol”). Sheol/Hades is located near the core of the earth (called “the heart of the earth” or “the lower parts of the earth”).

C. Both the righteous and the unrighteous went to Sheol from the beginning
And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom [in Sheol/Hades]: the rich man also died, and was buried; And in Sheol/Hades he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame. (Luke 16:22-24)

D. Christ was in Sheol/Hades for three days and three nights
This is rather important, since it establishes the reality of Sheol/Hades.
He had already prophesied that He would be there. He had also prophetically stated that He would not be there for more than three days and three nights. Then Peter revealed that while He was there He preached to the spirits in prison (since Sheol/Hades was indeed a prison for souls and spirits).
1. Christ prophesied about being in Sheol/Hades
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth. (Mt 12:39,40) While Jonah was in the whale’s belly, his soul and spirit were in Sheol: And [Jonah] said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of Sheol שְׁא֛וֹל cried I, and thou heardest my voice. (Jonah 2:2)
2. Christ would not be in Sheol/Hades beyond three days and three nights
This is what Christ said through David about 1,000 years before He died: For thou wilt not leave my soul in Sheol; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. (Psalm 16:10). Peter quoted this verse from David and confirmed that it was fulfilled at the resurrection: Because thou wilt not leave my soul in Hades, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption... He [David] seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in Hades, neither his flesh did see corruption. (Acts 2:27,31)
3. Christ preached to the spirits in prison while in Sheol/Hades
While the body of Jesus lay in the tomb of Joseph of Arimathea, He proclaimed to the spirits in Sheol/Hades His victory at the cross (1 Peter 3:18,19): For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison. Since no one can be saved after they die (Heb 9:27), Christ did not preach the Gospel of salvation in Sheol/Hades. That word “preached” means “proclaimed”, so what else would Christ have proclaimed other than His victory over sin, death, Hades, Hell, Satan, and all his evil spirits? This victory would include the removal of the saints from Sheol/Hades to Paradise in the New Jerusalem. Thus the gates of Hades would not prevail against the Church.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
PART II
E. The righteous dead went to Heaven from Sheol/Hades at Christ’s resurrection

We know from the above historical narrative (not a parable) that there was a “great gulf” or huge chasm fixed between the righteous and the unrighteous dead. However, at the time of the resurrection of Christ, all the righteous dead (the OT saints) were taken by Christ to Heaven: Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things. (Eph 4:8-10) This is confirmed in Hebrews 12:22-24 where the OT saints are called “the spirits of just men made perfect” and found in the New Jerusalem.

F. Since the resurrection all the New Testament saints go directly to Heaven
The example of the first martyr -- Stephen -- is sufficient to establish the fact that when the saints are buried their souls and spirits go directly to Heaven, not six feet under the soil (Acts 7:55-60;8:1,2): But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep [died]. And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles. And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.

In view of this here is what Paul said to Christians: Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight: We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. (2 Cor 5:6-8)

G. The Bible shows that both OT and NT saints are now in Heaven
One of the most significant passages in the Bible which is generally overlooked is Hebrews 12:22-24. It shows us all the occupants of the New Jerusalem at the present time: But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

There are two groups of saints shown here in the New Jerusalem: (1) the NT saints described as
the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and (2) the OT saints, described as the spirits of just men made perfect. So all the saints are very much awake and alive in Heaven, and are in fact called “a great cloud of witnesses” (Heb 12:1)

H. The unrighteous dead in Sheol/Hades will face the Second Death
Those who are presently in Sheol/Hades will be resurrected at the resurrection of damnation (John 5:29), then judged at the Great White Throne Judgment, then cast into the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death (Rev 20). But God does not want anyone to face the Second Death, and that is why the Gospel is to be preached in all the world and to “every creature” (Mt 28:18-20; Mk 16:15,26):

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and Hades delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Death and Hades are personified in this passage, and when they are “cast into the Lake of Fire” it means that they are terminated. That is the end of death and Hades. But as we can see there is eternal torment in Hell: and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very good @Enoch111 and thanks for taking the time in putting this together. This is essentially what Easter Orthodox Christians believe and I’m surprised because aren’t you a Protestant …. Or something? :)

This is also one of the main reasons why in our church we pray for the souls of the dead and we don’t forget them like they were nothing once they drop dead.

atpollard

Jun 30, 2019
Port Richey, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is also one of the main reasons why in our church we pray for the souls of the dead and we don’t forget them like they were nothing once they drop dead.
Aren't they past needing prayer?

In Hades awaiting Hell, they seem past making a choice.
In Heaven, they seem past needing anything from us.

(Not arguing, just curious what the dead gain from our prayers.)

GaryAnderson

Aug 10, 2021
Massachusetts
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

We pray for their salvation and the forgiveness of their sins, voluntary and involuntary … that’s the prayer in a special service at the church which is called a Memorial Service for the departed.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
B. All souls went to Sheol/Hades before Christ’s resurrection
I said,“In the prime of my life I shall go to the gates of Sheol; I am deprived of the remainder of my years.” (the words of Hezekiah in Isaiah 38:10 NKJV). Unfortunately, the KJV has “the grave” for “Sheol”, which has led to a lot of confusion. Sheol may literally have gates, since Christ spoke of “the gates of Hades” (which is the Greek word for “Sheol”). Sheol/Hades is located near the core of the earth (called “the heart of the earth” or “the lower parts of the earth”).

This is excellent. I'd never noticed this verse before.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While Jonah was in the whale’s belly, his soul and spirit were in Sheol: And [Jonah] said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of Sheol שְׁא֛וֹל cried I, and thou heardest my voice. (Jonah 2:2)

This is especially helpful. For some reason I had always thought Jonah was preserved alive while in the belly of the whale, but in light of this verse that's not what the passage actually teaches. In Septuagint it has Sheol as well (i.e. Hades). εκ κοιλιασ αδου = "In the belly of Hades."

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent post! I just have a few observations, not criticisms, just maybe things you should have emphasized and elaborated on.
Maybe you'll agree. Some of it is conjecture because details are left out.

C. Both the righteous and the unrighteous went to Sheol from the beginning

You did mention that there was a "gulf" between Abraham's bosom and where the Rich man was in Hades.
Hades was divided, part prison and the other part completely opposite. Where Abraham was, there was comfort, water, love peace and joy.
The Rich man was in torment.
People often wonder about "Abraham's Bosom". I just view it as a place where when you arrived, Father Abraham gave you a greeting, a hug, pulled you to his bosom, put his arm around you and comforted you. And while you had a thousand questions, he talked with you and answered them.
This was PARADISE.
JESUS told the thief next to him on the cross that TODAY, you will be in Paradise ( the blessed section of Sheol).
Since Abraham was able to speak with the Rich man in Hades, though separated by a huge gulf, then we can imagine that Jesus preaching could be heard in both realms. Mayne he allowed the wicked prisoners to hear Him? Though preaching to them would be of no benefit to them other than a clearer understanding of their judgment and it would also cause even more torment in light of what they missed out on. There would be no change of judgment, no release, not even a drop of water. Rheidbstae was fixed.
Would the wicked be allowed to speak to Him? Doubt it. Imagine millions of souls pleading out, asking for mercy, talking all at once - a massive chatter of crying noise and gnashing of teeth. I don't think God would allow that, it would certainly disrupt the peace that was enjoyed on the other side, in Paradise. No, they were already judged, their state was fixed, awaiting their final judgment - to be cast into the Lake of Fire and destroyed.

; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
Many are confused about the story of Jonah. People think he was actually kept alive for three days --under water? Jonah cried out from the depth of Sheol. Sheol was not the belly if the fish, he died and his soul descended into Sheol, the underworld. He experienced a state of fear and prayed quickly to God. His death came within minutes. Oh maybe there was a pocket of air? The fish didn't swim to the " roots of the mountains" "The earth with it's bars around was around me ..." No, Jonah's soul descended. Then after three days, God answered his prayers and brought him back from "the pit", back to life and had the fish vomiit him out onto the beach.
For those who would argue his death, why would Jesus compare his death with Jonah's story if Jonah did not die? Why was this fishy tale compared to the most important event in history.

An extra added morsel:
The other mystery to me was why and how did Jonah convince the wicked ruler and Nineveh, a kingdom of 120,000, to repent? Why would they listen to some stranger who comes into town and threatens them with God's judgement? Did they believe in Jonah's God or did they worship other gods? Can you imagine some rag tag nobody coming into town, whom no one has ever seen him, presents himself to their king and demands them to repent and change their ways or else? Wouldn't the king just laugh like Herod laughed at Jesus and then just kill him? How did they respond to his fish story? Maybe they received confirmation from the men on that ship who threw him overboard? That would take some time. Nevertheless, details are missing and we can only speculate. Maybe initially they did laugh and mock him and so it took some time. He did give them a time limit.
I have a different slant that uses a little logic and science. Something shocked them into believing him, causing them to pray, fast and relent. Was it just his words? Wow, we need someone with that kind of influence today.
I would submit this to all. I think it was more than just words that did it.
What happens to flesh when it is soaked in hydrochloric stomach acid? It begins to digest, right. At best, Jonah was spit out looking like a half digested, bleached burn victim, a horrifying corpse from the dead. They believed him and his story and were terrifed. It would het your attention, send a cold chill down your spine when you saw this man walking down the street.
Even Freddy Kruger would repent after seeing Jonah.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For those who would argue his death, why would Jesus compare his death with Jonah's story if Jonah did not die? Why was this fishy tale compared to the most important event in history.
But why would Jesus say, "just as Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the fish, the Son of Man will be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth"? Wouldn't that mean Jonah remained in the fish, while Jesus went to sheol?

Much love!

Reactions: Mugre Pinzon

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PART II

We know from the above historical narrative (not a parable) that there was a “great gulf” or huge chasm fixed between the righteous and the unrighteous dead. However, at the time of the resurrection of Christ, all the righteous dead (the OT saints) were taken by Christ to Heaven: Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things. (Eph 4:8-10) This is confirmed in Hebrews 12:22-24 where the OT saints are called “the spirits of just men made perfect” and found in the New Jerusalem.

The example of the first martyr -- Stephen -- is sufficient to establish the fact that when the saints are buried their souls and spirits go directly to Heaven, not six feet under the soil (Acts 7:55-60;8:1,2): But he, being full of the Holy Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the right hand of God And said, Behold, I see the heavens opened, and the Son of Man standing on the right hand of God. Then they cried out with a loud voice, and stopped their ears, and ran upon him with one accord, And cast him out of the city, and stoned him: and the witnesses laid down their clothes at a young man's feet, whose name was Saul. And they stoned Stephen, calling upon God, and saying, Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And he kneeled down, and cried with a loud voice, Lord, lay not this sin to their charge. And when he had said this, he fell asleep [died]. And Saul was consenting unto his death. And at that time there was a great persecution against the church which was at Jerusalem; and they were all scattered abroad throughout the regions of Judaea and Samaria, except the apostles. And devout men carried Stephen to his burial, and made great lamentation over him.

In view of this here is what Paul said to Christians: Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord: (For we walk by faith, not by sight: We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord. Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him. (2 Cor 5:6-8)

One of the most significant passages in the Bible which is generally overlooked is Hebrews 12:22-24. It shows us all the occupants of the New Jerusalem at the present time: But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, To the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

There are two groups of saints shown here in the New Jerusalem: (1) the NT saints described as
the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and (2) the OT saints, described as the spirits of just men made perfect. So all the saints are very much awake and alive in Heaven, and are in fact called “a great cloud of witnesses” (Heb 12:1)

Those who are presently in Sheol/Hades will be resurrected at the resurrection of damnation (John 5:29), then judged at the Great White Throne Judgment, then cast into the Lake of Fire, which is the Second Death (Rev 20). But God does not want anyone to face the Second Death, and that is why the Gospel is to be preached in all the world and to “every creature” (Mt 28:18-20; Mk 16:15,26):

10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
11 And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.
12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and Hades delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
14 And death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

Death and Hades are personified in this passage, and when they are “cast into the Lake of Fire” it means that they are terminated. That is the end of death and Hades. But as we can see there is eternal torment in Hell: and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Excellent work! NOw be ready for all the allegorists who will add private interpretations to try to prove Gods Word wrrong.

Reactions: Nancy

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But why would Jesus say, "just as Jonah was 3 days and 3 nights in the belly of the fish, the Son of Man will be 3 days and 3 nights in the heart of the earth"? Wouldn't that mean Jonah remained in the fish, while Jesus went to sheol?

Much love!
Jonah's body was in the fish, so a time lapse comparison is made. But the scripture describes Jonah's soul crying out from the depth of Sheol, "the roots of the mountains" ... " the earth with its bars around me". Sounds like the gates of Hades to me, not the inside of a fish.

Last edited:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PART II

It’s a minor point, but hell is the holding cell/jail that the damned are held in, awaiting trial/judgment, and after that, the contents of hell are thrown into the lake of fire, for eternity.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are so many Christians still so confused about the afterlife?
OP ^

Well done Enoch.

Inanutshell, I would say the WHY, is:
Men sitting in places of leadership roles (ie Clerics), are human.
Their “Title and Position”, does not relieve them from scrutiny of WHAT they teach.

Men are “LAZY’. Men are conditioned year after year, more and more so, to demand “easy”, quick, convenient, receive without effort.

It is “easy”, to hear another tell a man WHAT to believe. If it makes sense to their MIND, easy peasy, good enough.

The FACT is, God has revealed His WAY. His WAY requires EFFORT. Hear a Cleric, then Verify WHAT the cleric says IS TRUE, according TO Scripture....(not according to books, letters, writings, booklets, manuals, pamphlets, diaries, or other writings).

The FACT is, Gods Word is FOR the thoughts of the Heart. And thereafter the individual mans EFFORT IS to make the thoughts of his MIND, subject to, the Thoughts of his Heart.

* Cleric’s teaching to Thoughts of mens MINDS, can easily trick, fool, control, and keep the focus on the MIND.
* Cleric’s teaching to Thoughts of mens HEARTS, will be the Cleric’s whose Teaching WILL be verified in Scripture.

So many Confused about the afterlife? IMHO, reveals they are content with the easy, and many have lived a long life with easy, being told what to believe and being given kudos for going along....it is easier to argue, save face, than make the effort, and risk losing the kudos for going along.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Spot on! Yet individuals maintain ancient beliefs, as if new revelations are irrelevant to long standing Traditions taking precedence.

From the beginning of mankind, man was taught bit by bit, little by little.
Teaching is giving knowledge. Bit by bit more and more Knowledge is revealed IN Scripture....and The Understanding of the knowledge comes much later.

* Jews, are always waiting for a SIGN....to Understand the mystery of Creation.

* Greeks/Gentiles, favored more so, men who sat and THOUGHT in their MINDS, concluding and speaking their impressive sounding PHILOSOPHICAL Ideas....to Understand the mystery of Creation. (And BTW Philosophical ideals, has for decades been a huge advocacy in US educational institutions...government run public schools AND colleges/universities).

From the beginning, not one generation has come and gone, without men being curious, and trying to figure out the mystery of creation....and try to put in their native language words an explanation of the mystery.

HELL called by any word, language, description...imprints an image of a DIVISION of COMFORT and DISTRESS...divided by a Great Gulf.
The faithful in Comfort....The unfaithful in Distress.

And horrific distressful things SEEN occurring ON Earth, would become equated with an image of the DISTRESS in Hell.
(Such as the literal Valley of Hinnon near Jerusalem, whereby men burned children alive...Hinnon, called Gehenna...a horrible visual, screams, stench of burning flesh)

And peaceful things SEEN occurring ON Earth, would become equated with an image of souls of dead men resting in COMFORT in Hell.
(Such as Abraham’s soul and those with him, in peace and comfort, without distress, same as a dead body lying in a grave, subject to no negative feeling of anything)...ie the Grave.

* Did men USE to pray for the souls of men IN Hell? Which souls? Souls of the Faithful to be released from Hell and go to Heaven? Or the souls of men who were unfaithful to God? IDK.
* DO men Today pray for the souls of men IN Hell? If so Which souls?
(The souls of men IN Hell, IN comfort, have already been released, and escorted to Heaven), and we are given the knowledge of WHY.
* ARE men TODAY thus praying for souls of men who were unfaithful to God?
Praying for what? They be released? They be forgiven? They be changed?
WHY? Scriptural basis? IDK
* Are men TODAY praying for body’s in the grave? IDK.
(Body’s in the grave, are not body’s IN Hell. They are put in dirt, under the surface of the face of the ground, BY men, (not God). They are decaying, rotting, returning to dust, and the dirt that covers them was to cover the stench of rotting flesh.) If men are praying for them... WHY? Scriptural basis? IDK

Beliefs and Traditions from ancient days, have generationally filtered into Present day Beliefs and Traditions.
I get it with the men called Jews, as if the paper and ink stopped after the Old Testament.
I don’t get it with so many Gentiles, having the Knowledge of the New Testament, but still trying to retro fit themselves into the OT.

Glory to God,
Taken

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It’s a minor point, but hell is the holding cell/jail that the damned are held in, awaiting trial/judgment, and after that, the contents of hell are thrown into the lake of fire, for eternity.
If you look at the Greek it is not Hell but Hades -- ᾅδης -- which is thrown into the Lake of Fire. The KJV translators -- for all their excellence -- caused a lot of confusion by the indiscriminate use of "hell". Yes, Hades is a virtual prison as I have noted.

New King James Version
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
New American Standard Bible
Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jonan's body was in the fish, so a time lapse comparison is made. But the scripture describes Jonah's soul crying out from the depth of Sheol, "the roots of the mountains" ... " the earth with its bars around me". Sounds like the gates of Hades to me, not the inside of a fish.
I've actually flopped back and forth just like a fish over whether Jonah was dead or not. I just can't say I feel like I know, but I think I'm going to read through it again after this.
:)

Much love!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you look at the Greek it is not Hell but Hades -- ᾅδης -- which is thrown into the Lake of Fire. The KJV translators -- for all their excellence -- caused a lot of confusion by the indiscriminate use of "hell". Yes, Hades is a virtual prison as I have noted.

New King James Version
Then Death and Hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
New American Standard Bible
Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire.
The definition of hades is hell, per Strongs:

G86 (Strong)

ᾅδης

hadēs

hah'-dace

From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.

Total KJV occurrences: 11

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.
Both these words have been used INCORRECTLY in the KJV (which I use all the time).

Since Sheol/Hades is in the lower parts of the earth (or near the core of the earth) it cannot possibly be the grave (six feet under). And since Hell is Gehenna -- the Lake of Fire in "outer darkness" -- it cannot possibly be Sheol/Hades.

TEXBOW

Jul 8, 2021
Cypress
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PART II

This is exactly as I believe. Thanks for taking the time to present it. I think that Matthew 27:52 is referring to the O.T. Saints (or at least some of the O.T Saints). Jesus says in Matthew 8:11 many will come from the east and west and will sit down with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in the Kingdom of Heaven so we know at some point they made an exit from Sheol.