Why I observe the Sabbath.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ALL my brothers and sisters in Christ.
May God richly bless you all, and thank you for taking the time to stop by and read this and maybe participate.

I know we are just coming off another similar post, but most of the discussion was on the pros and cons of observing the Sabbath using verses and "logic" as to the whys and why not's.

I'm not sure how many here have heard WHY a person observes the Sabbath. beyond the obvious verses we have to choose from throughout the entire bible, or what we've read or heard.
So...in my love for all of you I will share my more intimate and emotional reason's and thoughts, and why I have taken this path, so you can at least have one mans perspective, and more hopefully, maybe new understandings to draw from about others choices.
I'm not trying to convert anyone here so relax. This is just so you understand one Sabbath Keepers perspective. IT'LL BE PRETTY SHORT.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a 76 year old male (Almost 77in May), and have been a believer in Christ 42 years this year in July. That's exciting for me :).
I have preached in 2 churches off and on, did homeless men's ministry for 12 years, and a host of other ministries. God has been wonderfully gracious to me and allowed me to care for those hurting and in need of comfort and support.
Just an intro,so you know me a bit, as I'm new here just a few days ago. nN bragging, arrogance or egotism intended.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MY CONVERSION TO SABBATH KEEPING
About 12 years ago, 30 years into my faith, I was walking out of my church, after a wonderful message from the pastor that included thoughts on the Sabbath as part of a larger message, which I had heard at several churches that I attended, but always, for me, had a problem with the logic, and how the verses and thoughts were blended to form a conclusion.
I got up when service was over, still muling over the pastors thoughts and all the other 30 years worth I had heard on the same subject, and began walking to the exit doors.
As I approached the doors, a very strong impression came over me like a voice in my head. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. I've heard His Voice before and it wasn't satan's tempting me.
The Holy Spirit told me to be begin honoring the Sabbath ON SUNDAY"S and He would show me how.
It took me about a year to adjust my activities to 6 days, and some of it was pretty difficult, as I was asked to give up several things I really enjoyed that day, and I would have to prepare my meals for Sunday on Saturday. No cooking or other things on Sunday. I slipped a few times in the early stages, but God was patient and forgiving with me, as I struggled with the changes.

12 years later

A few years ago God called me to study the Sabbath, and to validate His calling on my life to observe the Sabbath.
It took me about 2 years of constant study and leading by the Holy Spirit, but in the end I was not only convinced for my own faith, but educated as to why I should continue for the rest of my life.
What an amazing 12 years it has been. For me, I feel complete as a Christian now, and look forward to each Sabbath with anticipation as some of us do about going to church, and now understand the "Olive Tree Theology" in Romans 11: 14-28, and the verses in Exodus chapters 19 and 31 where God came to Moses and the children of Israel, and how it all fits together for the brining together of both remnants of Jews and gentiles at the end to be as God puts it - "ONE NEW MAN."
What an amazing teaching God took me through, and the wonderful gift of entering His Sabbath rest.
None of this explaination is about me being better than anyone else to myself or to God, it's just and explaination about how God chose to deal with me personally, and how He made the Sabbath available for me to choose or not to choose.
Kind of like when He called me to be a believer. I had a choice to accept His offer or reject it.
Thank you for taking the time to be here. I probably left things out I should have included, so If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
God bless you all
My name is OLIGOS

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Seasoned by Grace ,

If I'm understanding correctly, you are keeping the Sabbath in the way that you've outlined in answer to your conscience, that you believe God wants you to, this is right? May I ask, do you believe others should also?

Much love!

Reactions: Helen

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello ALL my brothers and sisters in Christ.
May God richly bless you all, and thank you for taking the time to stop by and read this and maybe participate.

I know we are just coming off another similar post, but most of the discussion was on the pros and cons of observing the Sabbath using verses and "logic" as to the whys and why not's.

I'm not sure how many here have heard WHY a person observes the Sabbath. beyond the obvious verses we have to choose from throughout the entire bible, or what we've read or heard.
So...in my love for all of you I will share my more intimate and emotional reason's and thoughts, and why I have taken this path, so you can at least have one mans perspective, and more hopefully, maybe new understandings to draw from about others choices.
I'm not trying to convert anyone here so relax. This is just so you understand one Sabbath Keepers perspective. IT'LL BE PRETTY SHORT.
I am a 76 year old male (Almost 77in May), and have been a believer in Christ 42 years this year in July. That's exciting for me :).
I have preached in 2 churches off and on, did homeless men's ministry for 12 years, and a host of other ministries. God has been wonderfully gracious to me and allowed me to care for those hurting and in need of comfort and support.
Just an intro,so you know me a bit, as I'm new here just a few days ago. nN bragging, arrogance or egotism intended.
MY CONVERSION TO SABBATH KEEPING
About 12 years ago, 30 years into my faith, I was walking out of my church, after a wonderful message from the pastor that included thoughts on the Sabbath as part of a larger message, which I had heard at several churches that I attended, but always, for me, had a problem with the logic, and how the verses and thoughts were blended to form a conclusion.
I got up when service was over, still muling over the pastors thoughts and all the other 30 years worth I had heard on the same subject, and began walking to the exit doors.
As I approached the doors, a very strong impression came over me like a voice in my head. I'm sure most of you know what I'm talking about. I've heard His Voice before and it wasn't satan's tempting me.
The Holy Spirit told me to be begin honoring the Sabbath ON SUNDAY"S and He would show me how.
It took me about a year to adjust my activities to 6 days, and some of it was pretty difficult, as I was asked to give up several things I really enjoyed that day, and I would have to prepare my meals for Sunday on Saturday. No cooking or other things on Sunday. I slipped a few times in the early stages, but God was patient and forgiving with me, as I struggled with the changes.

12 years later

A few years ago God called me to study the Sabbath, and to validate His calling on my life to observe the Sabbath.
It took me about 2 years of constant study and leading by the Holy Spirit, but in the end I was not only convinced for my own faith, but educated as to why I should continue for the rest of my life.
What an amazing 12 years it has been. For me, I feel complete as a Christian now, and look forward to each Sabbath with anticipation as some of us do about going to church, and now understand the "Olive Tree Theology" in Romans 11: 14-28, and the verses in Exodus chapters 19 and 31 where God came to Moses and the children of Israel, and how it all fits together for the brining together of both remnants of Jews and gentiles at the end to be as God puts it - "ONE NEW MAN."
What an amazing teaching God took me through, and the wonderful gift of entering His Sabbath rest.
None of this explaination is about me being better than anyone else to myself or to God, it's just and explaination about how God chose to deal with me personally, and how He made the Sabbath available for me to choose or not to choose.
Kind of like when He called me to be a believer. I had a choice to accept His offer or reject it.
Thank you for taking the time to be here. I probably left things out I should have included, so If you have any questions, please feel free to ask
God bless you all
My name is OLIGOS

I love this testimony about keeping the Sabbath on Sunday! I also hear God's voice, and your testimony rang true and witnesses to my spirit, so I do believe you heard from God. It certainly honors Jesus, the reason for the original Sabbath in the first place; Jesus as Creator, without Whom nothing was made that was made.

As a child raised in the Seventh-day Adventist denomination, I used to love Friday night Vespers, where after sundown we would go to church, and all the ladies would have already showered and have their hair in pin-curls or rollers so that these preparations were already completed before the Sabbath started. When I was 23 I learned about grace replacing the law, so I left the denomination, but always missed Vespers and the honor it gave to God. To this day, I still cannot lay my keys or anything else on top of my Bible in church as many do; an object lesson I learned in Sabbath School as a child. I know in my head it is not a law, but my heart cries otherwise. It is all about honoring His Word, and the fear of the Lord.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seasoned by Grace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To this day, I still cannot lay my keys or anything else on top of my Bible in church as many do;
That's interesting. I'm never comfortable setting anything on top of a Bible except the glasses I need to read it.

And yes, I heard a good testimony there also!

Much love!

Reactions: CharismaticLady

Seasoned by Grace

Feb 15, 2020
Northwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi @Seasoned by Grace ,

If I'm understanding correctly, you are keeping the Sabbath in the way that you've outlined in answer to your conscience, that you believe God wants you to, this is right? May I ask, do you believe others should also?

Much love!

Great question my brother Marks :).

Your first question is correct.
2nd Question - I believe there is more to our faith than just the scriptures to guide us.
We have the Holy Spirit, who guides us according to scripture, even when we don't understand all scripture, he does, and will eventually lead us to the truth if it's His will to do so, and we know it is. PRAISE GOD,

I believe others should pray and ask for wisdom, knowledge, understanding and discernment, and sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit, who will guide them in the plans God has Just for them personally.

Surrender your life to God in any way He calls you to, but be careful in what you think your called to, as I was careful and prayed, always pray, and watch for the results. I've seen lives and families ruined because of over zealousness and mis-guided intentions and lack of prayer. Satan is an "Angel of light" and can distract us as He did Eve in the garden.

As I was lead, I did as the Bearens did constantly in acts, I constantly checked and prayed to make sure of the truth. Did everything line up with scripture as I learned? That's how I still learn today.

God bless you on your search.
My name is OLIGOS

Last edited: