Any other horror fans in here?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As y’all should know, this is a fellowship forum and so hopefully others have the emotional intelligence to not try to turn this into a debate. I promise if you disagree, those of us who enjoy it have read that book and understand your position. By all means create a thread on debating it. This is for those who enjoy horror.

I am a really into horror. I listen to a lot of horror podcasts like “ Creepy , Wicked Librarian, No Sleep , Psudopod , Bleeder’s DIEgest and others that are fictional stories. I listen to critical analysis of horror tropes, films and books on podcasts like “ evolution of horror and the faculty of horror”. I also listen to a handful of Christian horror podcasts such as Peter Law’s “ Creepy Cove Community Church , Horror Nerds at Church and 10xTheTerror which is also a horror criticism podcast. I’ve read the Christian horror books by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker and so many others. Three of my favorite Christian horror novels are FP’s “ Monster “ , TD’s “ Immanuel Veins” and Tosca Lee’s “ Demon A memoir and obviously books by CS Lewis like “ The Screwtape Letters.”

out of all the genre of horror my favorite is body horror and natural horror ( think campfire stories of a bear stalking campers )

Some of my favorite stories in the Bible fits the genre of horror. Scary tales are woven throughout the entire Bible. We have short stories like the flood and various dark war tales. We have hints of hybrid humans being slain , ghosts , dragons and so many other cool things that wax and wane between fiction ( like psalms 74 ) and nonfiction. To the symbolism of hell ( the second death ) and the valley of Gehenna.

horror is also a genre that most often pits good vs evil. Almost every horror story is of a group of friends and loved ones disbelieving they warnings of someone and going or doing something that brings them into the lines of something evil and on their own they can’t win but as a group focused on love and faith they overcome whatever mighty darkness is trying to get them. Horror also just happens to be the genre that brings up Christianity the most, even if it’s fictional used versions of it. Such as vampires can’t cross moving ( living waters ) because of baptism and they can’t enter a house without permission and they are harmed by the cross. Every possession horror story essentially has priests that battle evil. Hope is one of the key ingredients to the final girl surviving the slasher.
If there are any here I look forward to chatting and sharing favorites.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me — put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:8-9).

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable — if anything is excellent or praiseworthy — think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me — put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you (Philippians 4:8-9).

I agree 100%. It’s why I feel horror is the best genre out there. Thanks for the verse.

Reactions: dhh712

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I’m a longtime fan of The Twilight Zone.

I don’t know if you would count that or not, but that’s as close as I come to being a horror fan.

Reactions: Skovand1075

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
horror is also a genre that most often pits good vs evil.

Yes, and often genuinely, as the ones based on demon possession are often based in fact, albeit loosely sometimes.

I don't go in for slasher films - that just seems to glorify violence - but there have been a few periods in my life where I got into films on possession: The Rite, The Possession, The Conjuring, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Exorcist, etc.

Not sure I would advocate it for anyone not well disposed temperamentally, but exorcism is a very real gift, and we should never shy away from the powers of evil.

Welcome to the forum.

P.S. Just a heads up; Almost everything is a debate around here.

God bless,
- H

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m a longtime fan of The Twilight Zone.

I don’t know if you would count that or not, but that’s as close as I come to being a horror fan.
I think it definitely blends sci fi and horror. I like a lot of older horror. I’ve even listened to “witch’s tale “ which was a 1930s radio drama. The first serialized horror radio drama ever. It’s been uploaded throughout numerous podcasts. Dimension X is a sci fi radio horror from the early 1900s as well that’s been uploaded into podcasts and it’s very similar to twilight zone or outer limits. I’ve not seen the Peele remake though.

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and often genuinely, as the ones based on demon possession are often based in fact, albeit loosely sometimes.

I don't go in for slasher films - that just seems to glorify violence - but there have been a few periods in my life where I got into films on possession: The Rite, The Possession, The Conjuring, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, The Exorcist, etc.

Not sure I would advocate it for anyone not well disposed temperamentally, but exorcism is a very real gift, and we should never shy away from the powers of evil.

Welcome to the forum.

God bless,
- H
I’m quick to ignore those who just want to debate in spaces like this. I get everything I’d debatable, but you can tell when someone is trying to have a actual conversation bs someone who just wants to be rude and throw a alphabet tantrum.

slashers are some of my favorite villains. Chucky, Freddy , Michael and of course the Giallo and new French wave slashers. My favorite is probably Ghostface because of how it mocks the tropes and typical patterns and shows self awareness.

Cronenberg, Ridley Scott and Mike Flanagan are probably my favorite writers and directors though. Midnight Mass was very religious in nature and I just today watched “ Crimes of the Future “ as Cronenberg’s return.

Anyways about to pass out. Have to wake up in 5 hours.

L.A.M.B.

Mar 22, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like,and always have liked simple scary or horror movies. My very favorite is " Halloween".
It is only creepy scary with very little violence,much is implied though.I don't like slasher films either.

I grew up watching Dracula movies with Bela Lugosi, Peter Cushing, Boris Karloff,and Vincent Price as well as werewolves and hauntings. The spookiest old B / W ghost movie is the Haunting 1963. Liam Neeson did a remake in the ' 90's I think but it wasn't as scary.

I like some alien movies too. Sigourney Weaver in Alien is my favorite sequels. I like the Predators and Terminators also......lol

Of course we will be castigated for liking horror but some ppl drive to fast and like it......lol

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I must admit I don’t watch horror films anymore, was a fan way back but I just find they play into my imagination to much at night.
I was interested to see Frank Peretti on your list, I absolutely loved ‘ This Present Darkness ‘ ‘ Piercing the darkness ‘ and I see it has a third book which I have not read in the series ‘ Prophet ‘. However I have never classed them as Horror as such. I found them really helpful in understanding spiritual warfare.
As a teenager I went to see the film ‘ The exorcist ‘ , I was 16 and I remember there were Christians outside warning people not to go in and watch the film. I must admit, with me, it opened my mind to something that was not good and it really impacted me for years. At the time it also gave me a thirst for more of those type of films. It did create in me a fear of satan, which stayed with me long after I came to faith and something that has taken time, and truth , to deal with.
I did watch a film some years ago, thinking it was a sci fi film, Event Horizon. I watched it with my adult son, it’s a film he or I would not watch again !
Rita

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
As y’all should know, this is a fellowship forum and so hopefully others have the emotional intelligence to not try to turn this into a debate. I promise if you disagree, those of us who enjoy it have read that book and understand your position. By all means create a thread on debating it. This is for those who enjoy horror.

I am a really into horror. I listen to a lot of horror podcasts like “ Creepy , Wicked Librarian, No Sleep , Psudopod , Bleeder’s DIEgest and others that are fictional stories. I listen to critical analysis of horror tropes, films and books on podcasts like “ evolution of horror and the faculty of horror”. I also listen to a handful of Christian horror podcasts such as Peter Law’s “ Creepy Cove Community Church , Horror Nerds at Church and 10xTheTerror which is also a horror criticism podcast. I’ve read the Christian horror books by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker and so many others. Three of my favorite Christian horror novels are FP’s “ Monster “ , TD’s “ Immanuel Veins” and Tosca Lee’s “ Demon A memoir and obviously books by CS Lewis like “ The Screwtape Letters.”

out of all the genre of horror my favorite is body horror and natural horror ( think campfire stories of a bear stalking campers )

Some of my favorite stories in the Bible fits the genre of horror. Scary tales are woven throughout the entire Bible. We have short stories like the flood and various dark war tales. We have hints of hybrid humans being slain , ghosts , dragons and so many other cool things that wax and wane between fiction ( like psalms 74 ) and nonfiction. To the symbolism of hell ( the second death ) and the valley of Gehenna.

horror is also a genre that most often pits good vs evil. Almost every horror story is of a group of friends and loved ones disbelieving they warnings of someone and going or doing something that brings them into the lines of something evil and on their own they can’t win but as a group focused on love and faith they overcome whatever mighty darkness is trying to get them. Horror also just happens to be the genre that brings up Christianity the most, even if it’s fictional used versions of it. Such as vampires can’t cross moving ( living waters ) because of baptism and they can’t enter a house without permission and they are harmed by the cross. Every possession horror story essentially has priests that battle evil. Hope is one of the key ingredients to the final girl surviving the slasher.
If there are any here I look forward to chatting and sharing favorites.
You make your choices. What you love is revealed in what you expose yourself to!

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I must admit I don’t watch horror films anymore, was a fan way back but I just find they play into my imagination to much at night.
I was interested to see Frank Peretti on your list, I absolutely loved ‘ This Present Darkness ‘ ‘ Piercing the darkness ‘ and I see it has a third book which I have not read in the series ‘ Prophet ‘. However I have never classed them as Horror as such. I found them really helpful in understanding spiritual warfare.
As a teenager I went to see the film ‘ The exorcist ‘ , I was 16 and I remember there were Christians outside warning people not to go in and watch the film. I must admit, with me, it opened my mind to something that was not good and it really impacted me for years. At the time it also gave me a thirst for more of those type of films. It did create in me a fear of satan, which stayed with me long after I came to faith and something that has taken time, and truth , to deal with.
I did watch a film some years ago, thinking it was a sci fi film, Event Horizon. I watched it with my adult son, it’s a film he or I would not watch again !
Rita

i like event horizon. Always been a fan of body horror. It was heavily influenced visually by Clive barker based films and they are supposed to be making a tv series based off it. But body horror and gory films are definitely not for everyone. The main reason why I’m perfectly fine with horror as previously mentioned is because the Bible is full of it.

Genesis one opens up with the Jewish version of nothingness. A dark universe and a watery formless void of a earth. In the creation story it says that the sea is full of beasts called tannin which is normally translated as “ great sea creatures “ but it’s actual meaning is sea serpent as in the monster retold about in job “ leviathan “ and in psalms 74. It was a representation of the chaos creatures. It’s the reason why water is tied to destruction throughout the Bible from the watery void, the flood of Noah, the Nile and baby Moses, the Red Sea and the Israelites all the way to baptism. In all the stories the water is what is killing either a “sin nature “ or sinful people. It’s why one of the random miracles of Jesus was he walked on water showing dominion over it. A foreshadowing of death , burial and resurrection. It’s even why in revelation in the highly symbolic and stylized work of John it mentions “ no sea in the restored heaven and earth “ and many often wonder why does it say that. But the reason why is because of what the watery void represented throughout the scriptures.

But as we go we see the horror of Cain and Abel , the battle between Moses and the Egyptian “wizards” , the angel of death. There is the vision of Ezekiel 37 where someone in a vision sees these skeletons behind to attach and grow tendons, flesh and so on. The stories of the supernatural horror such as the tale of legion. Naked men living among a cemetery that cut themselves and was super strong until defeated and the men restored as demons poured into pigs that downed themselves. It was a hyperlink to the flood again. Not to mention the imagery used to represent hell. Revelation is basically a short horror story. As a kid one of the most gruesome stories to me came from the Bible.

Absalom's his horse under a tree in which his hair gets caught snatching him off breaking his neck. Jezebel falling to her death smashing on the ground below and having dogs begin to lick up her blood. The Levite concubine whose tragic story was of her being raped and then her master in his anger dismembering her into 12 pieces and sending them to the tribes. If the Bible was turned into an accurate film, showing all these scenes , it would be a very terrifying violet gory film. So I feel like we know Yahweh does not take issue with horror and that the holy spirit itself inspired these tales of terror.

dhh712

Jun 12, 2022
Gettysburg
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

God bless,
- H

I know, and it seems that way on most forums. People are often just so quick to be dissentious. I'm not interested. I'm glad Slovak and a few others (Matthew G I believe his screen name is) are interested in discussion and make it clear they do not care for aggressive debate as it is with me. Dissension comes from Satan. Discussion is good, to be done politely and respectfully. This can be accomplished by all no matter what opposing opinion you may encounter. Thus, typically as soon as dissension comes up (disrespectful, antagonistic and/or rude replies to a post), I will leave the thread. I just try to steer clear of the influences of the demonic spirits out there.

I like some alien movies too. Sigourney Weaver in Alien is my favorite sequels. I like the Predators and Terminators also......lol

Of course we will be castigated for liking horror but some ppl drive to fast and like it......lol

Love those Alien movies with Sigourney Weaver. They're some of my favorite. The Terminator ones are pretty good too. Haven't gotten into the Predator series, but I don't think we as a family ever got into them as we did the other two; I actually can't recall much of them.

There were some awesome action/adventure movies from the 80s and 90s; I'm sure it's a generational thing, but I just don't see anything quite like them that have been made since (like the Indiana Jones movies, Back to the Future series, even the Jurassic Parks--haven't seen the newest one but my friend says it's pretty good. I thought the first two were great). Alright, I'm straying off topic now.

Oh yeah, one more "off-topic"--driving too fast. But when I'm in the middle of nowhere and have to get to work 30 miles away, how else am I going to get there on time??!!!! : )

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
i was going to post exactly that verse. I think horror in any form should be avoided by those who love Jesus.

Reactions: Michiah-Imla

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

slashers are some of my favorite villains.

Just sharing a scripture verse.

“…Who among us shall dwell with the devouring fire? who among us shall dwell with everlasting burnings? He that walketh righteously, and speaketh uprightly; he that despiseth the gain of oppressions, that shaketh his hands from holding of bribes, that stoppeth his ears from hearing of blood, and shutteth his eyes from seeing evil; He shall dwell on high: his place of defence shall be the munitions of rocks: bread shall be given him; his waters shall be sure.” (Isaiah 33:14-16)

Reactions: marks

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yahweh does not take issue with horror and that the holy spirit itself inspired these tales of terror.

In the Bible actual events are recorded with a righteous purpose in the end.

Horror movies are not but for “entertainment” as you admitted.

I read the Bible for spiritual nurturing, not entertainment. If you approach the Bible as an entertainment object, you may not reap it’s beneficial application of righteousness.

Reactions: marks

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I know, and it seems that way on most forums. People are often just so quick to be dissentious. I'm not interested. I'm glad Slovak and a few others (Matthew G I believe his screen name is) are interested in discussion and make it clear they do not care for aggressive debate as it is with me. Dissension comes from Satan. Discussion is good, to be done politely and respectfully. This can be accomplished by all no matter what opposing opinion you may encounter. Thus, typically as soon as dissension comes up (disrespectful, antagonistic and/or rude replies to a post), I will leave the thread. I just try to steer clear of the influences of the demonic spirits out there.

I'm not going to lie, there are still some things that will set me off. But I don't go looking for it. If anything I do my best to avoid it, while nevertheless defending what I believe has to be for the benefit of others.

Reactions: dhh712

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve read the Christian horror books by Frank Peretti, Ted Dekker and so many others. Three of my favorite Christian horror novels are FP’s “ Monster “ , TD’s “ Immanuel Veins” and Tosca Lee’s “Demon A memoir"

I love Peretti, though I'm not sure I would classify Monster in the "Horror" genre. Well, maybe. I think I'll re-read it just to make sure... I've read Dekker. House was outstanding; not sure I liked the Circle Trilogy (which became a quadrilogy). There's a few more of his that I'd like to try.

Dean Koontz rediscovered his Catholicism late in life, and it has been reflected in his writing. I would classify some of his later novels in the "Christian Horror" genre. (And please, people, let's not turn this thread into another anti-Catholic screed.) I've found his latter-day books that have more of a Christian worldview to be more enjoyable than some of his earlier stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: dev553344

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My little brother gave me Piercing the Darkness for Christmas. Never give someone the sequel of a book before the recipient has read the original. I forgave him for that horrible trespass. For some reason known only to God, Piercing the Darkness had a profound effect on me in turning my thinking back to God. I don't know why. I went back and bought This Present Darkness and found it pretty "meh". One of the rare cases where the sequel was far better than the original. Prophet is actually not part of the series, but it stands on its own.

Reactions: Skovand1075

Skovand1075

Jul 13, 2022
Alabama.
www.instagram.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love Peretti, though I'm not sure I would classify Monster in the "Horror" genre. Well, maybe. I think I'll re-read it just to make sure... I've read Dekker. House was outstanding; not sure I liked the Circle Trilogy (which became a quadrilogy). There's a few more of his that I'd like to try.

Dean Koontz rediscovered his Catholicism late in life, and it has been reflected in his writing. I would classify his some of his later novels in the "Christian Horror" genre. (And please, people, let's not turn this thread into another anti-Catholic screed.)

well the name of the book is Monster xd. It’s a cryptid horror. Cryptid horrors are a sort of creature feature x natural horror mix. It’s like Bigfoot, Mothman and so on. Monster was inspired by the work being carried out in the human genome project and about how crisper could be used. I liked Max Brooks’s book “ Devolution more though.

Reactions: Lambano