Bible Passages Can Be Hidden In Plain Sight!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There are so many bible passages that we may have read many times but not necessarily noticed it's significance.

My neighbor came over a few days ago and while in a conversation about my overgrown grapevine that was slowly creeping over to his property, he mentioned a story in the bible where Moses was noted to be the only person in the bible that God had personally buried.

Of course I had to hunt that verse down. Deuteronomy 34:5-7. What is your impression on this verse?..
and please read the passages surrounding it so that it is in context. Blessed!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are so many bible passages that we may have read many times but not necessarily noticed it's significance.

My neighbor came over a few days ago and while in a conversation about my overgrown grapevine that was slowly creeping over to his property, he mentioned a story in the bible where Moses was noted to be the only person in the bible that God had personally buried.

Of course I had to hunt that verse down. Deuteronomy 34:5-7. What is your impression on this verse?..

How about the sons of Korah? (Num 16)

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands

man, ive always wondered about the Moses story, and it might be that he was the only one God buried has some significance? My impression is that we are never satisfied, and i (for better or worse) have always related that to the “promised land” always being a thing that our progeny would inherit?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
It is true that God swolled them up but they were punished by God and they went down alive into sheol. Not buried by God at the end of their days like Moses was.. .

If you taught that verse as....

"HE" buried Him.....using that Personal Pronoun.... then that can be that Moses told them where HE was to be buried, ... so then, you are not offending the scripture.
And if you use the "HE" as Yahweh buried Him, then that is also correct, as God told Moses where to be buried.

Reactions: Angelina

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is true that God swolled them up but they were punished by God and they went down alive into sheol. Not buried by God at the end of their days like Moses was.. .

I’d call that ‘buried by God’ in the most explicit manner of understanding. The fact is you have no idea what became of Moses or the manner with which God buried him. I know you are trying to build a fence around a narrative, but facts are stubborn.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you taught that verse as....

"HE" buried Him.....using that Personal Pronoun.... then that can be that Moses told them where HE was to be buried, ... so then, you are not offending the scripture.
And if you use the "HE" as Yahweh buried Him, then that is also correct, as God told Moses where to be buried.

That’s a rather silly and unnecessary massaging of the text which does, actually, violate the text which stipulates that no one knows where God buried him.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’d call that ‘buried by God’ in the most explicit manner of understanding. The fact is you have no idea what became of Moses or the manner with which God buried him. I know you are trying to build a fence around a narrative, but facts are stubborn.
What a minute. A burial is not the same as a trap.

God trapped sinful the sons of Korah in Numbers 16 as a form of judgment. This is not the same at all as ritual burying someone out of respect.

Reactions: Angelina and ScottA

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

All I remember is that Satan fought Michael for Moses body, I've zero idea why. Wonder why did God bury Moses "facing behth-pee' awr" "A temple for the god Peor or Baal Peor probably stood there. Good catch!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a minute. A burial is not the same as a trap.

God trapped sinful the sons of Korah in Numbers 16 as a form of judgment. This is not the same at all as ritual burying someone out of respect.

Where does it say that Moses was given a ritual burial out of respect?

He was denied entry into the Promised Land. Don’t read into the text. Just read the text.

Moses didn’t get old and sick and ‘pass away’ quietly in his sleep. He met his demise suddenly and while he was yer strong and full of vigor.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here is the NET footnote regarding those verses:

Smr and some LXX mss read “they buried him,” that is, the Israelites. The MT reads “he buried him,” meaning in the context that “the Lord buried him.” This understanding, combined with the statement at the end of the verse that Moses’ burial place is unknown, gave rise to traditions during the intertestamental period that are reflected in the NT in Jude 9 and in OT pseudepigraphic works like the Assumption of Moses.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Unchecked Copy Box
Deu 34:5
So Moses H4872 the servant H5650 of the LORD H3068 died H4191 there in the land H776 of Moab, H4124 according to the word H6310 of the LORD. H3068
TOOLS​
And he buried H6912 him in a valley H1516 in the land H776 of Moab, H4124 over against H4136 Bethpeor: H1047 but no man H376 knoweth H3045 of his sepulchre H6900 unto this day. H3117
TOOLS​
And Moses H4872 was an hundred H3967 and twenty H6242 years H8141 old H1121 when he died: H4194 his eye H5869 was not dim, H3543 nor his natural force H3893 abated. H5127

In translation the word says that Moses died there in the land of his father (meaning Adam, meaning Israel, and in the earth, dust); in a valley (meaning at a low point before Christ); against Bethpeor (meaning against the Son); in an unknown grave (meaning a grave but no body, as with Christ); but his eyes were not dim nor his force abated (meaning...though he died, he lives).

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
This is not the point of my thread. The bible clearly states:

"5 So Moses the servant of the Lord died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the Lord, 6 and he buried him in the valley in the land of Moab opposite Beth-peor; but no one knows the place of his burial to this day."

I'm merely pointing out that we can read a bible passage many times but not necessarily be consciously aware of what it's actually saying. I think it's cool anyway, even though we don't know where Moses is buried, God does and so does his angels and the devil. Jude 1:9 aye! @Nancy
:Broadly:

Also note: 10 And there has not arisen a prophet since in Israel like Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, 11 none like him for all the signs and the wonders that the Lord sent him to do in the land of Egypt, to Pharaoh and to all his servants and to all his land, 12 and for all the mighty power and all the great deeds of terror that Moses did in the sight of all Israel.

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jud 1:9 But Michael the archangel, when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, "The Lord rebuke you!"

Let me add more...

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a particular bible that I have written question marks next to these things that jump out, we have read before but did not have understanding at that time but, they suddenly mean something to u after reading it for the second, third and fourth, so on, time that. I must dig that one out from where it is...I still do it but not as much these days.
"See, He makes a new thing!!"

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a particular bible that I have written question marks next to these things that jump out, we have read before but did not have understanding at that time but, they suddenly mean something to u after reading it for the second, third and fourth, so on, time that. I must dig that one out from where it is...I still do it but not as much these days.
"See, He makes a new thing!!"
What is this supposed to mean?

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Blessings in Christ Jesus Angelina. It is The Holy Spirit that searches out all things. There is more to unpack in those verses.
7. Moses was 120 years old when he died; his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated.

Gen. 6 vs 3. Then The Lord said, "My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh, but his days shall be numbered a hundred and twenty years." This is the word of The Lord. And verse5 also says "according to the the Word of The Lord"
So it looks like Moses(The friend of God) lived out all that is appointed unto man. Blessings!

• Love
Reactions: Nancy and Angelina

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hi Angelina, I was looking at a few reference views on Deuteronomy 34:5-7 and was wondering whether or not it has any context or significance to what you are saying.

b. Moses the servant of the LORD died: Moses died just as God promised. The promises of God are sure, including His more severe promises. It all happened according to the word of the LORD.

i. Literally, the phrase according to the word of the LORD means upon the mouth of the LORD. From this, ancient Jewish traditions say that Moses died as God took away his soul with a kiss. The medieval Jewish rabbi Maimonides wrote that of the 903 different ways to die, this was the best.

ii. According to ancient Jewish legends – which should be regarded only as legends – the death of Moses was tender and full of God’s compassion.

“In the meanwhile, Moses’ time was at an end. A voice from heaven resounded, saying: ‘Why, Moses, dost thou strive in vain? Thy last second is at hand.’ Moses instantly stood up for prayer, and said: ‘Lord of the world! Be mindful of the day on which Thou didst reveal Thyself to me in the bush of thorns, and be mindful also of the day when I ascended into heaven and during forty days partook of neither food nor drink. Thou, Gracious and Merciful, deliver me not into the hand of [Satan].’ God replied: ‘I have heard thy prayer. I Myself shall attend to thee and bury thee.’ Moses now sanctified himself as do the Seraphim that surround the Divine Majesty, whereupon God from the highest heavens revealed Himself to receive Moses’ soul. When Moses beheld the Holy One, blessed be His Name, he fell upon his face and said: ‘Lord of the world! In love didst Thou create the world, and in love Thou guidest it. Treat me also with love, and deliver me not into the hands of the Angel of Death.’ A heavenly voice sounded and said: ‘Moses, be not afraid. “Thy righteousness shall go before thee; the glory of the Lord shall be thy rearward.”’”

“With God descended from heaven three angels, Michael, Gabriel, and Zagzagel. Gabriel arranged Moses’ couch, Michael spread upon it a purple garment, and Zagzagel laid down a woolen pillow. God stationed Himself over Moses’ head, Michael to his right, Gabriel to his left, and Zagzagel at his feet, whereupon God addressed Moses: ‘Cross thy feet,’ and Moses did so. He then said, ‘Fold thy hands and lay them upon thy breast,’ and Moses did so. Then God said, ‘Close thine eyes,’ and Moses did so. Then God spake to Moses’ soul: ‘My daughter, one hundred and twenty years had I decreed that thou shouldst dwell in this righteous man’s body, but hesitate not now to leave it, for thy time has run….I Myself shall take thee to the highest heavens and let thee dwell under the Throne of My Glory’….When Moses heard these words, he permitted his soul to leave him, saying to her: ‘Return to thy rest, O my soul, for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.’ God thereupon took Moses’ soul by kissing him on the mouth.” (Ginzberg, Legends of the Jews)

iii. “As a mother takes her child and kisses it, and then lays it down to sleep in its own bed; so did the Lord kiss the soul of Moses away to be with him for ever, and then he hid is body we know not where.” (Spurgeon)

c. And He buried him in a valley: Notably, the LORD buried Moses. This was more complicated than it sounds because the devil contended with God over the body of Moses.

i. Jude 9 speaks of an occasion when Michael the archangel, in contending with the devil, when he disputed about the body of Moses. Apparently, there was a contention over the body of Moses, and according to Jude Michael the archangel won this contest as he appealed to the Lord’s authority: “The Lord rebuke you!” Yet why Michael contended with Satan over the body of Moses is less clear.

ii. Some say that the devil wanted to use Moses’ body as an object of worship to lead Israel astray into idolatry. Others think that Satan wanted to desecrate the body of Moses and claimed a right to it because Moses had murdered an Egyptian.

iii. But consider that God had another purpose for Moses’ body, which Satan wanted to defeat: Moses appears in bodily form with Elijah (whose body was caught up to heaven [2 Kings 2]) at the Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-3); and perhaps Moses and Elijah are the two witnesses of Revelation 11.

iv. Apparently, God had a purpose to fulfill with the body of Moses before the time of general resurrection, so God made special provision to bury the body of Moses Himself. And, perhaps, God preserved the body of Moses in some way. God wanted to protect the body of Moses, so no one knows his grave to this day. Seemingly, they searched for it (as would be expected) out of a desire to memorialize this great leader of the nation.

Source: Enduring Word Bible Commentary Deuteronomy Chapter 34

Another view:
An Undiscovered Grave

There is something strange and altogether singular in this, that Moses, the greatest of all the Old Testament prophets, should find a resting-place in the earth and no man be able to point it out. The sepulchres of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are known among the groves of Hebron; the bones of Joseph, after many wanderings, rest in Shechem, in that parcel of ground which his father gave to him, the best beloved son. Rachel’s tomb, watered by many a tear, stands on the way to “Ephrath, which is Bethlehem”; for there her strength failed her, and she sank, as did all the ancient saints on the way to that birthplace of hope. The sepulchre of David is by Jerusalem, the home of his heart. But the last abode of Moses, the servant of God and the lawgiver of Israel, is claimed by no city in the wide land.

1. The first thing to notice is that the grave is not unknown to God. As it is in death, so is it in the grave—alone yet not alone. Moses dies alone, with no hand to clasp his, none to close his eyes; but God’s finger does it. The outward form of his death is but putting into symbol and visibility the awful characteristics of that last moment for us all. However closely we have been twined with others, each of us has to unclasp all hands, and make that journey through the narrow, dark tunnel by ourselves. We even live alone in a real sense, but we each have to die as if there were not another human being in the whole universe but ourselves. But the solitude may be a solitude with God. Up there alone, with the stars and the sky and the everlasting rocks and menacing death, Moses had for companion the supporting God. That awful path is not too desolate and lonely to be trodden if we tread it with Him. Moses’ lonely death leads to a society yonder. If you refer to the 32nd chapter you will find that when he was summoned to the mountain God said to him, “Die in the mount whither thou goest up, and be gathered unto thy people.” He was to be buried there, up amongst the rocks of Moab, and no man was ever to visit his sepulchre to drop a tear over it. How was he “gathered unto his people”? Surely only thus, that, dying in the desert alone, he opened his eyes in the city, surrounded by “solemn troops and sweet societies” of those to whom he was kindred. So the solitude of a moment leads on to blessed and eternal companionship.

As we trust God to supply the needs of the body in life, so let us trust Him for its burial in death. He marks where the dust of each of His children mingles with its mother earth. When a grave is opened, His eye rests on it; and though no foot may ever tread its soil, no hand keep it decked with flowers, He never forgets it; and none will be overlooked when the archangel blows his trumpet over land and sea.1 [Note: F. B. Meyer.]

Source: Deuteronomy 34:5-6 The Death and Burial of Moses

Love, Walter

• Wow
Reactions: Nancy and Angelina