Buying and selling in the last days

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... should we accept what comes through #1, your interpretation; or #2, mine ...

Luke 22:35 When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

Please ANSWER your own question!

According to my understanding, Jesus was giving his Disciples HIS Final NEW guidance before going to the Garden as to their personal responsibilities when HE will no longer be there to meet all their needs. Thus HE commands ALL his PRESENT and FUTURE disciples to use their LITERAL Purse, Bag, and Sword, to meet their needs and not suffer any loss.

Now if you have a different explanation why the words are not LITERAL, or some other excuse why we shouldn't OBEY what Jesus specifically stated, PLEASE share YOUR "interpretation" with us.

And if you have NO "interpretation", then please default to the LITERAL text.
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 22:35 When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

According to my understanding, Jesus was giving his Disciples HIS Final NEW guidance before going to the Garden as to their personal responsibilities when HE will no longer be there to meet all their needs. Thus HE commands ALL his PRESENT and FUTURE disciples to use their LITERAL Purse, Bag, and Sword, to meet their needs and not suffer any loss.

Now if you have a different explanation why the words are not LITERAL, or some other excuse why we shouldn't OBEY what Jesus specifically stated, PLEASE share YOUR "interpretation" with us.

Bobby Jo
I don't have a mantle, so I guess it doesn't apply to me.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bobby Jo

More bs

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bobby Jo
You think Stephen should have had a sword? The other martyrs should have?

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus
You think Stephen should have had a sword? The other martyrs should have?

Please feel free to offer an alternate "interpretation" of Luke 22:35-36. Or just throw it out.

And please feel free to DISREGARD any other words which Jesus spoke which you don't like! -- Don't be bashful, how about the other writers of the OT and NT? Tear out their Verses, Chapters, and/or Books! In fact, throw the ENTIRE Bible in the fire. -- I'm sure YOU know better than GOD.

:)
Bobby Jo

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus

Please feel free to offer an alternate "interpretation" of Luke 22:35-36. Or just throw it out.

And please feel free to DISREGARD any other words which Jesus spoke which you don't like! -- Don't be bashful, how about the other writers of the OT and NT? Tear out their Verses, Chapters, and/or Books! In fact, throw the ENTIRE Bible in the fire. -- I'm sure YOU know better than GOD.

:)
Bobby Jo
Jesus was talking to his disciples about a possible attempt of the Jews to kill him and them in secret. That wouldn't have been worked. Jesus' crucifixion had to be done in public and with the co-operation of the Romans.

Then again he may have meant something else. He had to know Peter already had a sword; but then he said one was enough. Perhaps he meant a spiritual sword. I don't know.

Last edited:

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was talking to his disciples about a possible attempt of the Jews to kill him and them in secret. That wouldn't have been worked. Jesus' crucifixion had to be done in public and with the co-operation of the Romans.

Good start. Now how about the Purse and the Bag? Was the Garden in a Mall? Were there irresistible sales going on which required bringing cash and your own shopping-bags?

Last night my wife and I went to a W/M where Plastic Bags are BANNED, so they sell Paper Bags for $0.10 each, except the ENTIRE STORE had NO Paper Bags. -- And my wife said that in her previous trip, THE STORE HAD NO PAPER BAGS AT THAT TIME EITHER. -- Of course I called the Store first thing today to explain that having NO Paper Bags for their customers was UNSATISFACTORY; and then called W/M Corporate and explained how this Store's Manager was FAILING their customers.​

So it's perfectly understandable that Jesus not only told the Disciples to bring a Purse, but also to bring a Bag -- because Jesus was environmentally conscious and never used disposable Paper or Plastic BAGS.

Of course that additional bit of History was lost in the original manuscripts, but provided here for your information! :)
Bobby Jo

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good start. Now how about the Purse and the Bag? Was the Garden in a Mall? Were there irresistible sales going on which required bringing cash and your own shopping-bags?

Last night my wife and I went to a W/M where Plastic Bags are BANNED, so they sell Paper Bags for $0.10 each, except the ENTIRE STORE had NO Paper Bags. -- And my wife said that in her previous trip, THE STORE HAD NO PAPER BAGS AT THAT TIME EITHER. -- Of course I called the Store first thing today to explain that having NO Paper Bags for their customers was UNSATISFACTORY; and then called W/M Corporate and explained how this Store's Manager was FAILING their customers.​

So it's perfectly understandable that Jesus not only told the Disciples to bring a Purse, but also to bring a Bag -- because Jesus was environmentally conscious and never used disposable Paper or Plastic BAGS.

Of course that additional bit of History was lost in the original manuscripts, but provided here for your information! :)
Bobby Jo
Next time, maybe you should obey Jesus and take your own bag? :D

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 13:10 He that leadeth into captivity shall go into captivity: he that killeth with the sword must be killed with the sword. Here is the patience and the faith of the saints.

never heard anyone turn the sword into a firearm and then claim it is commanded: you must carry a firearm or you disobey Christ. Talk about forcing the word to say whatever you want it to say to justify what you desire. Just coming in on the tail-end of the conversation and haven’t read all the responses but (Imo) you gave the best in even Jesus Christ spoke it in regards to the sword (firearmo_O). Matthew 26:51-54 And, behold, one of them which were with Jesus stretched out his hand, and drew his sword, and struck a servant of the high priest's, and smote off his ear. [52] Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword. [53] Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels? [54] But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?

doubtfully they will receive it though ...fully convinced there is no suffering or loss when Paul said he had suffered the loss of all things...and counted it dung in the light of Christ.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bobby Jo

Luke 12:33-34 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. [34] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Bobby Jo
Starting with the proper tool is the beginning when one undertakes a construction job. If you are a carpenter a hammer with nails is certainly to included and then the lumber to put together with the hammer and nails.

In this case you, my friend, want to take the literal meaning of what is printed with ink on a bit of wood made into paper and expect wonders without communicating with God now? In the verse cited you seem to think there are no tools apparent but what did Jesus send them with? Empty? By no means:

"After these things the Lord appointed other seventy also, and sent them two and two before his face into every city and place, whither he himself would come.
Therefore said he unto them, The harvest truly is great, but the labourers are few: pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he would send forth labourers into his harvest.
Go your ways: behold, I send you forth as lambs among wolves.
Carry neither purse, nor scrip, nor shoes: and salute no man by the way.
And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.
And if the son of peace be there, your peace shall rest upon it: if not, it shall turn to you again.
And in the same house remain, eating and drinking such things as they give: for the labourer is worthy of his hire. Go not from house to house.
And into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you, eat such things as are set before you:
And heal the sick that are therein, and say unto them, The kingdom of God is come nigh unto you.

But into whatsoever city ye enter, and they receive you not, go your ways out into the streets of the same, and say,
Even the very dust of your city, which cleaveth on us, we do wipe off against you: notwithstanding be ye sure of this, that the kingdom of God is come nigh unto you." Luke 10:1-11

Jesus gave them the Word of God to speak with the power to heal according to His instructions or to simply walk away if they were not received by those who saw only the letters of death. When we take the scripture, without the quickening Spirit, the words are dead words as you have rendered them:

"It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life" John 6:63

"Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life." II Cor 3:6

What is the "purse"or the "bag"? It is a container of money, but what money is needed to do God's work? How much bread and fish did Jesus require to feed 5,000 or 4,000? And the Apostle Paul explains this business of the sword for us. He tells us take with us what those 72 took with them, the Word of God:

"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:" Eph 6:17

Further questions? No, then...

Give God the glory!

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Next time, maybe you should obey Jesus and take your own bag? :D

EXACTLY, -- and purse and sword. ALWAYS take the things you need, because JESUS will not FALL OUT OF THE SKY to give you what you were instructed to ALREADY HAVE.

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Luke 12:33-34 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth. [34] For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

You use Scripture to CONTRADICT Scripture. Perhaps you should obey BOTH. :)

Bobby Jo

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
sorry do not see your point? Luke 12:35 Let your loins be girded about, and your lights burning;

The discussion is regarding Luke Chapter 22, Verses 35 & 36.

In 35 Jesus acknowledges where the Disciples didn't need any provisions while Jesus was with them. In 36 Jesus gives NEW instructions for their OWN SELF SUFFICIENCY from that point on. And we're in the span of "from that point on" so YOU should use your Purse to fill your Bag, and carry a Sword.

OR -- hope that when you have needs, that JESUS will FALL FROM THE SKY to meet your needs.

It's called "Christianity". And we're supposed to OBEY what GOD and JESUS tell us,
Bobby Jo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The discussion is regarding Luke Chapter 22, Verses 35 & 36.

In 35 Jesus acknowledges where the Disciples didn't need any provisions while Jesus was with them. In 36 Jesus gives NEW instructions for their OWN SELF SUFFICIENCY from that point on. And we're in the span of "from that point on" so YOU should use your Purse to fill your Bag, and carry a Sword.

OR -- hope that when you have needs, that JESUS will FALL FROM THE SKY to meet your needs.

It's called "Christianity". And we're supposed to OBEY what GOD and JESUS tell us,
Bobby Jo

“own self-sufficiency”? Don’t know about that. His word says to not fear what men can do to the body. And that every hair is numbered and God is sufficient in all things. Yet...My husbands pistol is up stairs and if someone broke in when he wasn’t here and threatened the life of my grandchildren ...undoubtedly I would go straight for the pistol. So I’m not condemning you or bad-mouthing what is your choice. Only saying what you said to support carrying a pistol contradicts everything The word says ...even if I also am fearful of what men can do to the body.

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“own self-sufficiency”? ...

Yep:

Luke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

It kinda goes against everything we're lied to from behind the pulpit, doesn't it?!? -- Welcome to "christianity" (small "c"). :)

But the point being, we're going to see the day, -- in about a year and a half, according to my best understanding --, when we won't be able to buy or sell. So if you and your loved ones want to get through this, you might wish to consider getting out of any major citiy, having a shelter, a provisioned pantry, and necessities. Because JESUS will not FALL OUT OF THE SKY to meet your needs.

Good Luck,
Bobby Jo

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yep:

Luke 22:35 And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no purse or bag or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” 36 He said to them, “But now, let him who has a purse take it, and likewise a bag. And let him who has no sword sell his mantle and buy one.

It kinda goes against everything we're lied to from behind the pulpit, doesn't it?!? -- Welcome to "christianity" (small "c"). :)

But the point being, we're going to see the day, -- in about a year and a half, according to my best understanding --, when we won't be able to buy or sell. So if you and your loved ones want to get through this, you might wish to consider getting out of any major citiy, having a shelter, a provisioned pantry, and necessities. Because JESUS will not FALL OUT OF THE SKY to meet your needs.

Good Luck,
Bobby Jo

Don’t see it going that way. “Buy and sell” what?? For gain. leaving major cities is not going to do anything ...There is no rock that will not be turned over. Nothing hidden that is not revealed.

James 4:12-15 There is one lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy: who art thou that judgest another? [13] Go to now, ye that say, To day or to morrow we will go into such a city, and continue there a year, and buy and sell, and get gain: [14] Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away. [15] For that ye ought to say, If the Lord will, we shall live, and do this, or that.

You do realize the whore becomes unprofitable. in one hour. Revelation 18:7-11 How much she hath glorified herself, and lived deliciously, so much torment and sorrow give her: for she saith in her heart, I sit a queen, and am no widow, and shall see no sorrow. [8] Therefore shall her plagues come in one day, death, and mourning, and famine; and she shall be utterly burned with fire: for strong is the Lord God who judgeth her. [9] And the kings of the earth, who have committed fornication and lived deliciously with her, shall bewail her, and lament for her, when they shall see the smoke of her burning, [10] Standing afar off for the fear of her torment, saying, Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come. [11] And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

Revelation 18:17-19 For in one hour so great riches is come to nought.(Nothing) And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, [18] And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What city is like unto this great city! [19] And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

continue in the Word...we shouldn’t be so fearful.

Last edited: