Debate: THE OLD CROSS & the NEW (Tozer)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Please, brethren, if you desire posting to this thread, do with the intention to refrain from personal attacks which seem to be normal on CyB. That means, please: 'be gentle unto all [men], apt to teach, patient, in meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth...' 2 Timothy 2.

Tozer begins with comments about the 'new cross'.

It is like the old cross, but different: the likenesses are superficial; the differences, fundamental.

I will post his comments about the 'old cross', in a day or two.

ALL UNANNOUNCED AND MOSTLY UNDETECTED there has
come in modern times a new cross into popular evangelical circles.
It is like the old cross, but different: the likenesses are superficial;
the differences, fundamental. From this new cross has sprung a
new philosophy of the Christian life, and from that new philosophy
has come a new evangelical technique-a new type of meeting and
a new kind of preaching. This new evangelism employs the same
language as the old, but its content is not the same and its
emphasis not as before.

The old cross would have no truck with the world. For Adam's
proud flesh it meant the end of the journey. It carried into effect
the sentence imposed by the law of Sinai. The new cross is not
opposed to the human race; rather, it is a friendly pal and, if
understood aright, it is the source of oceans of good clean fun and
innocent enjoyment. It lets Adam live without interference. His life
motivation is unchanged; he still lives for his own pleasure, only
now he takes delight in singing choruses and watching religious
movies instead of singing bawdy songs and drinking hard liquor.
The accent is still on enjoyment, though the fun is now on a higher
plane morally if not intellectually.

The new cross encourages a new and entirely different evangelistic
approach. The evangelist does not demand abnegation of the old
life before a new life can be received. He preaches not contrasts
but similarities. He seeks to key into public interest by showing that
Christianity makes no unpleasant demands; rather, it offers
the same thing the world does, only on a higher level. Whatever
the sin-mad world happens to be clamoring after at the moment
is cleverly shown to be the very thing the gospel offers, only the
religious product is better.

The new cross does not slay the sinner, it redirects him. It gears
him into a cleaner and a jollier way of living and saves his self-
respect. To the self-assertive it says, "Come and assert yourself
for Christ." To the egotist it says, "Come and do your boasting
in the Lord." To the thrill-seeker it says, "Come and enjoy the
thrill of Christian fellowship."

To be continued.

jgnov99

May 31, 2012
We still read Tozer for a reason. Much of Paul Washer's sermons follow the same line of thinking though many find him harsh. Personally I am drawn to his passion and his mettle in delivering the Gospel in a way that tends to threaten our comfort with poor doctrine. The gospel is SUPPOSED to offend. We are ALL base, sinful creatures and need to be broken in the face of God before proper contrition is to be felt and we are ripe and ready for salvation. In our country in particular the Gospel has been and is being made to no effect by distinctly UN-Godly doctrines like political correctness, "tolerance", relativism, and multi-culturalism. Tozer's passion and devotion to our LORD and His Word are more than evident in his writings and I find them contagious. Thank you LORD for men like A.W.Tozer and Paul Washer.
grace and peace,
Joey

If I may.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COFC-Aue2rg&feature=related

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
There is something even more sinister than this "new cross". It is that which was there from the beginning; the resistance to the message that eternal life is a free gift of grace. This is a polar opposite to that which is described on this thread. It uses the threat of rejection and lost salvation to entice men into thinking and believeing that they have to participate in the work of salvation.

As well, it supports a non biblical understanding of the repentance that is required for salvation. There is no passage in the new testament which teaches repentance from sin as a requirement for eternal life. Repentance comes from two Greek words..."meta" (change) and "noya" (mind). In simple terms it means to change one's mind. There are several things that this can apply to.; For the self righteous, one needs to forsake any belief that he can earn or deserve life by what he does or doesn't do (works). He needs to come to the end of himself and humbly accept life as a free gift. For the unbeliever, he needs to turn and believe. For the one who rejected Christ, as those in Acts 2;36-38, they need to repent and receive Him as their Savior. And for all, they need to acknowledge that they are sinners and are in need of salvation, thus repenting from their indifference to the sin issue.

If only we could land somewhere inbetween these two polar opposties and come into a new life with Christ, free from condemnation and fear, but also free from a complacent mindset that interferes with one's call to bear fruit.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi williemac,

There is something even more sinister than this "new cross". It is that which was there from the beginning; the resistance to the message that eternal life is a free gift of grace. This is a polar opposite to that which is described on this thread. It uses the threat of rejection and lost salvation to entice men into thinking and believeing that they have to participate in the work of salvation.

As well, it supports a non biblical understanding of the repentance that is required for salvation. There is no passage in the new testament which teaches repentance from sin as a requirement for eternal life....

If only we could land somewhere inbetween these two polar opposties and come into a new life with Christ, free from condemnation and fear, but also free from a complacent mindset that interferes with one's call to bear fruit.

Either I'm misunderstanding your post, or, I can honestly say I'm astonished you think repentance is not mentioned in the New Testament nor required for salvation. Repentance is the first thing Jesus taught!

Why would a person who has not understood the need for repentance, ever want to be buried with Christ?

Jesus prefigured His own death for our sin when he was baptised.
Baptism was all about cleansing from sin. That's not possible (meaningfully) without repentance preceding it.

This is basic Christian doctrine. It's not a new idea. Ezekiel 36:25 Have I misunderstood you? In case not, here are some verses.

Matthew 3:7 But when he [John the Baptist] saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism,
he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father:
for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees:
therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:
but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear:
he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:
12 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner;
but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.

14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 2:36
Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles,
Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 19:paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?
And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people,
that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them;
and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

jgnov99

May 31, 2012
In keeping with the spirit of the original post I would add that we ALL should recognize that these are but a couple of the enemy"s "fiery darts" and the details actually start to fade to black in the face of the fact that the goal is exactly the same... to get us to take our eyes off of JESUS and somehow miss the boat or wander from the path. The enemy CARES NOT how it's done so long as we are distracted, misdirected, confused, or, in some other manner, led FROM Jesus rather than TOWARD Jesus. He doesn't care, he hates us so because God loves us so, and in his hatred for God and those who are or would be God's, he just wants to come between us. For Satan the ends justifies the means.

2Co 7:10
For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Hi williemac,

Either I'm misunderstanding your post, or, I can honestly say I'm astonished you think repentance is not mentioned in the New Testament nor required for salvation. Repentance is the first thing Jesus taught!

Why would a person who has not understood the need for repentance, ever want to be buried with Christ?
This reply is a prime example of where the confusion apparently comes from concerning this subject. I am talking about the lack of observation. You either have not actually paid attention to what I said, or you did not really understand it. This could be my fault, but I doubt it.

First of all, I never said that repentance was not required. I said repentance from sin is not taught as a requirement. Then I went ahead and qualified my statement by defining the word. Simply put, it means to change one's mind. One could also say it means to turn from something. The bible teaches that one must turn from something in order to be saved. But from what? Sin? Where does it say that? The usual definition of the word that is taught is that it means to turn from sin. That is an incorrect definition. There are many things that one can repent from or of. There has to be an object or subject in the context of the word. It is only from sin if it is mentioned in the context. So when we get to any context that talks about salvation, repentance specifically from sin is not included. Please read Rom.10:9,10. As well, in 1John 1:9, it is the confession of sin that God desires from us.
Jesus prefigured His own death for our sin when he was baptised.
Baptism was all about cleansing from sin. That's not possible (meaningfully) without repentance preceding it.
What is impossible is this logic. If one could actually repent from one's sin, there would be nothing to be cleansed from, since there would be no sin, since it had been repented from.
This is basic Christian doctrine. It's not a new idea. Ezekiel 36:25 Have I misunderstood you? In case not, here are some verses.

Matthew 3:7 But when he [John the Baptist] saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism,
he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to [our] father:
for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.

10 And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees:
therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance:
but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear:
he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and [with] fire:
12 Whose fan [is] in his hand, and he will throughly purge his floor, and gather his wheat into the garner;
but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire.

Mark 1:4 John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.
5 And there went out unto him all the land of Judaea, and they of Jerusalem, and were all baptized of him in the river of Jordan, confessing their sins.
6 And John was clothed with camel's hair, and with a girdle of a skin about his loins; and he did eat locusts and wild honey;
7 And preached, saying, There cometh one mightier than I after me, the latchet of whose shoes I am not worthy to stoop down and unloose.
8 I indeed have baptized you with water: but he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost.

9 And it came to pass in those days, that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized of John in Jordan.

14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.

Acts 2:36
Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
37 Now when they heard [this], they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles,
Men [and] brethren, what shall we do?
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins,
and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
I quoted from this passage already as well. So here is what I said in other words: Peter had just got through telling them that they had rejected and killed the One who was actually their Messiah. They were cut to the heart. Why? Because they realized their error. The they asked what they should do. Peter said "repent". But that word does not automatically mean "from sin" . What was their error? They had rejected Jesus. What was the solution? Be baptized in His name for the remission of sin. They needed to repent from their stance towards Jesus. They needed to turn from their unbelief in Him. Why on earth would they need to turn from their sin if they were just told that they would have their sin removed? Remission means removal.
Acts 19:paul having passed through the upper coasts came to Ephesus: and finding certain disciples,
2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed?
And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.

3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism.
4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people,
that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.

5 When they heard [this], they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
6 And when Paul had laid [his] hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them;
and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

Luke 24:45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
46 And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
I see that you have been possibly programmed the same way that many have, and that is, when you see the word 'repent', you apply the false meaning to it in your mind, that it means to turn from sin. What it really means is to change. The Jews were under the old covenant of law. A new covenant was coming. They needed to repent from the old way of trying to be justified by works, and turn to the new way of having their sins remitted freely. John paved the way for the change that was coming. You quoted that from Acts 19:2-5. John's baptism of repentance was to tell them to believe on He who was coming.

It was not about urging anyone to quit sinning. I am not saying that it is wrong to quit sinning. I am saying that if it were possible to be justified by quitting sin, then it would have remained as part of the covenant. On the contrary, no one succeeded under the law, of removing one's own sin. This is God's job, not ours. If there is anything that needs repenting from, it is the idea that one can add to his justification by his attempt to quit sinning. It is not a requirement for life. It is merely an outcome of our having received life. True change happens after one is saved, not before. It happens as a result of becoming a new creation. Therefore it cannot be a requirement for life or salvation. That would be putting the cart before the horse.

Life is a free gift, bought and paid for by our Savior. And even so, no one has attained a perfect moral lifestyle in this life, no matter what some may claim. A changed life is not of our own doing. And a changed life does not mean a perfect life. Not in this body. No way!

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi williemac,

Please could you clarify one thing for me?

Are you saying that turning from sin has no part to play in finally obtaining eternal life - only faith in Jesus Christ is required?

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Hi williemac,

Please could you clarify one thing for me?

Are you saying that turning from sin has no part to play in finally obtaining eternal life - only faith in Jesus Christ is required?
Thank you for this question. What I am saying is merely what I see in scripture. In a new thread on repentance, I alluded to the confusion between repentance and humilty. Humility is the requirement for salvation. It is seen in the confession of sin, as in the example used from Luke 18:10-14. It is also found in 1John 1:9. God gives grace to the humble.

What I have concluded is that there is a subtle stategy from the enemy to bring people back under legalism. Consider this, that sin is transgression of law. Therefore, if one is required to stop sinning to be saved, this is no different than saying one must keep the law to be saved. I am simply calling a spade...a spade. So the answer is yes. I am saying from my understanding of scripture that our turning from sin is not a requirement for obtaining eternal life. It is the ultimate goal, make no mistake. But the part it plays is not that of justifying a person for life. The part it plays is that it is the final result of having been made a new creation. It is the result of God's work in us, not our work for Him. Read Rom.10:9,10. We receive salvation by faith and confession. We obtain eternal life by faith alone. It is by the acceptance of that which is offered freely (Rom.5:1,15-18, 8:32) The works we do are called fruit. One must be an apple tree to bear apples. The new creation comes first.

Do we obtain anything from God by works? Do we obtain anything from God by our own goodness? We do what we do.."having obtained" by grace (freely), through faith.

RichardBurger

Jan 23, 2008
Southeast USA
Thank you for this question. What I am saying is merely what I see in scripture. In a new thread on repentance, I alluded to the confusion between repentance and humilty. Humility is the requirement for salvation. It is seen in the confession of sin, as in the example used from Luke 18:10-14. It is also found in 1John 1:9. God gives grace to the humble.

What I have concluded is that there is a subtle stategy from the enemy to bring people back under legalism. Consider this, that sin is transgression of law. Therefore, if one is required to stop sinning to be saved, this is no different than saying one must keep the law to be saved. I am simply calling a spade...a spade. So the answer is yes. I am saying from my understanding of scripture that our turning from sin is not a requirement for obtaining eternal life. It is the ultimate goal, make no mistake. But the part it plays is not that of justifying a person for life. The part it plays is that it is the final result of having been made a new creation. It is the result of God's work in us, not our work for Him. Read Rom.10:9,10. We receive salvation by faith and confession. We obtain eternal life by faith alone. It is by the acceptance of that which is offered freely (Rom.5:1,15-18, 8:32) The works we do are called fruit. One must be an apple tree to bear apples. The new creation comes first.

Do we obtain anything from God by works? Do we obtain anything from God by our own goodness? We do what we do.."having obtained" by grace (freely), through faith.

And the fruit is????

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi williemac,

I'm still pondering your posts, and whether to reply more fully.

Meantime, here are three verses I'd like to bring to your attention in response to this one sentence: 'There is no passage in the new testament which teaches repentance from sin as a requirement for eternal life....

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Hi williemac,

I'm still pondering your posts, and whether to reply more fully.

Meantime, here are three verses I'd like to bring to your attention in response to this one sentence: 'There is no passage in the new testament which teaches repentance from sin as a requirement for eternal life....

Acts 11:18 When they heard these things, they held their peace, and glorified God, saying, Then hath God also to the Gentiles granted repentance unto life.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Sorry, I only see two verses. As for Acts 11:18....As I shared earlier the passage does not say repentance from sin. It merely says repentance. I think it is often assumed by pre programming that the word repentance means to turn from sin. I can only repeat what I already said. The word by itself does not imply sin. Unless it is found in the context, we must refer to what we know about salvation. It comes by grace, through faith. There are more than a few references that confirm this. Therefore if one comes into faith, he must have come from someplace other than faith. He therefore changed his mind at some point, which is the definition of repentance. Is a change required? Yes, definately.

As for John 16:8, this is a wonderful verse. We know from Paul's letters that the law was given to identify sin and to reveal the need for salvation. There must be a conviction of sin. One needs to understand what he needs saving from. But beyond that, the only requirement given in scripture is the confession of it. Faith is not a qualification for life. It is merely the means by which one receives from God. One must come to a place of humility in order to receive what is offered freely. On that note, for many the requirement must be to repent from their pride.

God has excluded and removed any possiblity for a man to boast in his own salvation. If repentance from sin was required, or let me put it another way..if one must stop sinning on his own, one could boast in that. On the contrary, the very nature of humility is void of boasting. To repent of unbelief or pride, one must first humbly admit his need for rescue. Thus the acknowledgment of one's sin, along with the admission of one's inability to solve it. Is this repentance? If so, then fine. But many will insist that repentance is something more than that.

We cannot rescue ourselves. If a man is struggling to stay afloat in troubled water, what would he do if a lifeline was thrown in? He would grab hold and hang on for dear life while the rescuers dragged him to safety. This is salvation.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hello williemac,

The third verse in my previous post is this one:

John 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Jesus declared that unbelief is sin - which is in keeping with what happened in the garden of Eden, when Adam chose not to believe God's word, but to believe the word of his wife, and/or the serpent.

This also, was God's accusation against Moses in the wilderness, when he struck the rock twice instead of speaking to it as God had instructed him.

Numbers 20:7And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye to the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink. 9 And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him. 10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock? 11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts [also]. 12 And the LORD spake to Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.

In regard to your claim that
There is no passage in the new testament which teaches repentance from sin as a requirement for eternal life....

I dispute that strongly, as it flies in the face of logic and the New Testament; for, the reason we don't have eternal life now, is the sin which entered the world through Adam. Romans 5:12.

Looking back in scripture to Elijah's ministry, which was to restore Israel to fellowship with God (through repentance from idolatry - God's greatest rival) under the Old Covenant, the fact that John Baptist came 'in the spirit of Elijah' and then preached 'repentance from sin', had a deep meaning for 'Israel' which they understood; they repented from sin, and were baptised 'for the remission of sins', and were commanded by John to show the fruit of repentance in their lives. That meant putting things right with other people, according to the requirements of the Mosaic law.

All the outworkings of the sin, such as rebellion, pride, and the evil which proceeds from the heart of man, Mark 7:21, 22, 23, are sins for which we should repent (of course) and cease from (of course) to demonstate that we now have a new heart - a circumcised heart - through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, who became our propitiation for sin.

The gospel of Jesus Christ had a great appeal to Israel, as outlined in a key sentence by Paul:

Acts 13:38, 39 Be it known to you therefore, men [and] brethren, that through this man [Jesus Christ] is preached to you the forgiveness of sins: and by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

In other words, the death penalty for 'the sin' 'which entered into the world' through Adam, had been abolished.

2 Timothy 1:10.

John 3:20 For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Ephesians 5:13
But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light:
for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
Hello williemac,

The third verse in my previous post is this one:

John 16:9 Of sin, because they believe not on me;

Jesus declared that unbelief is sin - which is in keeping with what happened in the garden of Eden, when Adam chose not to believe God's word, but to believe the word of his wife, and/or the serpent.
Jesus was not declaring unbelief to be sin. He was explaining that unbelievers were the target of the conviction of sin. This is not the same as calling unbelief sin. We cannot confuse the cause with the effect. Sin is a result of unbelief, the same as smoke being the result of fire. One causes the other. One isn't the other. Don't get me wrong. I am a promoter of faith. I do not wish to undermine its importance.
This also, was God's accusation against Moses in the wilderness, when he struck the rock twice instead of speaking to it as God had instructed him.

Numbers 20:7And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying, 8 Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye to the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink. 9 And Moses took the rod from before the LORD, as he commanded him. 10 And Moses and Aaron gathered the congregation together before the rock, and he said unto them, Hear now, ye rebels; must we fetch you water out of this rock? 11 And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts [also]. 12 And the LORD spake to Moses and Aaron, Because ye believed me not, to sanctify me in the eyes of the children of Israel, therefore ye shall not bring this congregation into the land which I have given them.
You are preaching to the choir, here. I agree with scripture that the failure to believe God is probably His biggest issue with mankind. He has repeated over and over and proven over and over that He can be trusted. This is a trust issue as much as anything.

(re: " there is no passage in new testament scripture that teaches repentance from sin as a reuqirement for life")
I dispute that strongly, as it flies in the face of logic and the New Testament; for, the reason we don't have eternal life now, is the sin which entered the world through Adam. Romans 5:12.
What has that got to do with what I said? Have you been reading my posts? I already expalined why I said what I said.
Looking back in scripture to Elijah's ministry, which was to restore Israel to fellowship with God (through repentance from idolatry - God's greatest rival) under the Old Covenant, the fact that John Baptist came 'in the spirit of Elijah' and then preached 'repentance from sin', had a deep meaning for 'Israel' which they understood; they repented from sin, and were baptised 'for the remission of sins', and were commanded by John to show the fruit of repentance in their lives. That meant putting things right with other people, according to the requirements of the Mosaic law.
If this was all that was needed then there would have been no further need to remedy the sin problem. However, these are temporary fixes, as no man has ever or will ever change his nature. One can be on his best behavior throughout his lifetime but his offspring can turn out totally opposite. The significance of the new covenant is not just a behavior modification, it is rather a new creation. The real and permanent remedy for sin is to re create the species. This is God's role, not ours. This does not happen as a result of repenting from one's sin. It rather happens when a person rather humbles himself in acknowledgment of his sin and acknowledgment of his helplessness in it and allows God to fix the problem.
All the outworkings of the sin, such as rebellion, pride, and the evil which proceeds from the heart of man, Mark 7:21, 22, 23, are sins for which we should repent (of course) and cease from (of course) to demonstate that we now have a new heart - a circumcised heart - through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, who became our propitiation for sin.
And just how did we get this new heart? As you said; through faith. Therefore the repentance you are describing did not contribute to the receiving of anything, but is merely the result of it. This complies with my observation, that eternal life was/is not given as a result of our repentance from sin, but just the other way around. We cannot put the cart before the horse. Salvation comes first. A changed life is the result. The degree of change can vary from person to person. The amount of fruit can vary from person to person. The speed at which change happens in a life can vary also. The completion date is the resurrection.
The gospel of Jesus Christ had a great appeal to Israel, as outlined in a key sentence by Paul:

Acts 13:38, 39 Be it known to you therefore, men [and] brethren, that through this man [Jesus Christ] is preached to you the forgiveness of sins: and by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.
Exactly my point. The law of Moses demands that one turns from his sin. No one could comply with that demand. The law rather was meant to convict a person of his sin (transgression of law) which is the Holy Spirit's agenda concerning the unbeliever. On that note, I must mention that it is an errant belief that some have, that the Holt Spirit convicts believers of sin. He rather has a more important conviction for us. Righteousness. What better way is there to cause a person to walk in righteousness than to convince them that they are in fact righteous? (refer to Eph.4:24.."put on the new man")
In other words, the death penalty for 'the sin' 'which entered into the world' through Adam, had been abolished.

2 Timothy 1:10.

John 3:20 For every one that does evil hates the light, neither comes to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that does truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

Ephesians 5:13
But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light:
for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.
I think there is confusion with what I decalred about repentance. I see in scripture and agree wholeheartedly that one must be honest with himself and with God about his sin nature and be willing to come to the light in order to be forgiven, cleansed, and born again. I do not call this repentance from sin. I call this humility, which I see in scripture. God gives grace to the humble, resists the proud. Therefore if anything, many need to repent from pride and self righteousness. These are attitudes, not actions, not behavior. Repentance literally means a change of mind. Most of christianity defines it as a turning from sin. This is not a correct definition.
Blessings, Howie

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hello Howie,

I did read your post, but you will understand that this is the first time we've discussed these things, and while I am used to trying to understand biblical words such as 'repentance' and 'humility' in their biblical context, I'm not used to some of the assertions you've made, which are giving me cause to stop and think about how your way of putting things fits scripture.

Sin is a result of unbelief

This is an interesting point, because without doubt it applied to Adam. Since then, the rest of us have been born in sin, and so our unbelief is a result of sin. We were born already alientated from God.

Before you come down on me too hard, please consider that even that statement is not as straightforward as it may first appear, because no-one is surprised by unbelief per se amongst, well, unbelievers (for want of a better term); but when Jesus said the Holy Spirit would convict of sin because they don't 'believe' in Him, He was talking about people who were aware of Him, who heard His claims, and yet still refused to 'believe'.

This same kind of unbelief applies to those who hear the gospel today, who understand what they are being invited to believe, but who choose not to receive the word which is offered to them. This kind of unbelief is, therefore, sin. This was the kind of unbelief for which God left all but two members of the older generation who had left Egypt, dead in the desert, They knew what they were doing.

In that sense, I read Jesus' words as a statement that those who never turn to Him will, one day, be convicted of the sin of unbelief, and this will seal their eternal fate.

You are preaching to the choir, here. I agree with scripture that the failure to believe God is probably His biggest issue with mankind. He has repeated over and over and proven over and over that He can be trusted. This is a trust issue as much as anything.

True. I think it also depends what a person wants. To walk with God means to leave one's own agenda.

dragonfly, on 14 July 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

(re: " there is no passage in new testament scripture that teaches repentance from sin as a reuqirement for life")

williemac replied
What has that got to do with what I said? Have you been reading my posts? I already expalined why I said what I said.

Well, I read what you said and I thought about it, and the major disconnect in your statement was the cosmic context in which Jesus came preaching, 'Repent', to Israel, on the heels of John the Baptist's calls for repentance.

According to your analysis, they could have called for 'Humility'. Why didn't they?

My question is around whether stepping over one's pride for a moment, really counts as repentance?

What is the difference? The first thing that strikes me, is that humility is the opposite of pride. Jesus was humble. He had not a speck of pride in Him. Humility is one of the qualities in the Godhead. But is it enough to invite people to turn from their pride, which is only one outworking of the sin nature. Or, is God asking them to turn from sin altogether?

I believe it is the latter, and that is what distinguishes repentance from humlity. Because until the cross, sin and eternal death (the death) were at work in mankind. ('The wages of sin is the death', still applies to unbelievers.)

Leviticus 26:41 And [that] I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:

So, while I acknowledge God sees humility as a desirable step in the right direction, it didn't deliver them from their punishment. It's not even clear whether God considers humility enough to circumcise the heart.

dragonfly, on 14 July 2012 - 02:43 PM, said:

williemac commented
If this was all that was needed then there would have been no further need to remedy the sin problem. However, these are temporary fixes, as no man has ever or will ever change his nature. One can be on his best behavior throughout his lifetime but his offspring can turn out totally opposite. The significance of the new covenant is not just a behavior modification, it is rather a new creation. The real and permanent remedy for sin is to re create the species. This is God's role, not ours. This does not happen as a result of repenting from one's sin. It rather happens when a person rather humbles himself in acknowledgment of his sin and acknowledgment of his helplessness in it and allows God to fix the problem.

I agree this was a temporary measure with regard to sin, but for the people who had repented and put things right, it was 'remission of sins' - which is a prize.

the repentance you are describing did not contribute to the receiving of anything, but is merely the result of it. This complies with my observation, that eternal life was/is not given as a result of our repentance from sin, but just the other way around. We cannot put the cart before the horse. Salvation comes first. A changed life is the result. The degree of change can vary from person to person. The amount of fruit can vary from person to person. The speed at which change happens in a life can vary also. The completion date is the resurrection.

I fully accept that some people do not experience conviction of sin until after they have actually received the Holy Spirit and been born again. This is a reasonable observation to make, and for me to acknowledge.

But, it is clear from scripture and from the experience of some Christians, that God is able to convict of sin before new birth, and that this is His preferred modus operandus, for then, when the Holy Spirit is given, the person has already turned away from sin in their heart, and already has a desire to walk with God.

On that note, I must mention that it is an errant belief that some have, that the Holt Spirit convicts believers of sin.

So... how would you explain the conviction of sin a believer may feel when he has sinned?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The first part of the piece by Tozer ended with these words:

The new cross does not slay the sinner, it redirects him. It gears
him into a cleaner and a jollier way of living and saves his self-
respect. To the self-assertive it says, "Come and assert yourself
for Christ." To the egotist it says, "Come and do your boasting
in the Lord." To the thrill-seeker it says, "Come and enjoy the
thrill of Christian fellowship."

The Christian message is slanted in the direction of the current
vogue in order to make it acceptable to the public. The philosophy
back of this kind of thing may be sincere but its sincerity does not
save it from being false.

Here is the second part.

It is false because it is blind. It misses completely the whole meaning
of the cross. The old cross is a symbol of death. It stands for the abrupt,
violent end of a human being. The man in Roman times who took up
his cross and started down the road had already said good-by to his
friends. He was not coming back. He was going out to have it ended.

The cross made no compromise, modified nothing, spared nothing;
it slew all of the man, completely and for good. It did not try to keep
on good terms with its victim. It struck cruel and hard, and when it
had finished its work, the man was no more. The race of Adam is
under death sentence. There is no commutation and no escape. God
cannot approve any of the fruits of sin, however innocent they
may appear or beautiful to the eyes of men. God salvages the
individual by liquidating him and then raising him again to newness
of life. That evangelism which draws friendly parallels between the
ways of God and the ways of men is false to the Bible and cruel to
the souls of its hearers.

The faith of Christ does not parallel the world, it intersects it. In
coming to Christ we do not bring our old life up onto a higher plane;
we leave it at the cross. The corn of wheat must fall into the ground
and die. We who preach the gospel must not think of ourselves as
public relations agents sent to establish good will between Christ
and the world. We must not imagine ourselves commissioned to
make Christ acceptable to big business, the press, the world of
sports or modern education. We are not diplomats but prophets,
and our message is not a compromise but an ultimatum.

God offers life, but not an improved old life. The life He offers is life
out of death. It stands always on the far side of the cross. Whoever
would possess it must pass under the rod. He must repudiate
himself and concur in God's just sentence against him. What does
this mean to the individual, the condemned man who would find life
in Christ Jesus? How can this theology be translated into life?
Simply, he must repent and believe. He must forsake his sins and
then go on to forsake himself. Let him cover nothing, defend nothing,
excuse nothing. Let him not seek to make terms with God, but let
him bow his head before the stroke of God's stern displeasure and
acknowledge himself worthy to die. Having done this let him gaze
with simple trust upon the risen Saviour, and from Him will come
life and rebirth and cleansing and power.

The cross that ended the earthly life of Jesus now puts an end to
the sinner; and the power that raised Christ from the dead now
raises him to a new life along with Christ. To any who may object
to this or count it merely a narrow and private view of truth, let me
say God has set His hallmark of approval upon this message from
Paul's day to the present. Whether stated in these exact words
or not, this has been the content of all preaching that has brought
life and power to the world through the centuries. The mystics,
the reformers, the revivalists have put their emphasis here, and
signs and wonders and mighty operations of the Holy Ghost gave
witness to God's approval. Dare we, the heirs of such a legacy of
power, tamper with the truth? Dare we with our stubby pencils erase
the lines of the blueprint or alter the pattern shown us in the Mount?
May God forbid. Let us preach the old cross and we will know the
old power.

~ A. W. Tozer, Man, the Dwelling Place of God, 1966

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Well... I thought Tozer's comparison of crosses was a useful way to examine the gospel and how it's been warped in the last thirty years.

Praise the Lord for men who understood the power of the old cross, and that's what they preached!