Did Jesus REALLY know what it was like to be human?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

PossibleThrowawayAccount

Oct 1, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This might sound blasphemous and I do not mean any disrespect towards the Lord but did Jesus really know what it was like to be human? I know he came as a man, was born and suffered many things but I don't think he actually had to deal with the things we have to.

It seems that he chose a lot of the things that happened to him. He chose to be unemployed and as far as we know did not suffer from job loss, he chose to fast for forty days and he probably could have saved himself from crucifixion. What makes it harder to understand is that he had knowledge and power we do not.

He knew for sure there is God, he knew what heaven was like, he had the ability to heal his friends and raise them from the dead, he could divide small quantities of food and stretch them out so starvation was not as dire for him as it is us, he did not need to worry about his health and I feel like it was the easy for him to tell us to forgive our enemies when his are all going to Hell.

Again I don't mean any disrespect. I just want to know what everyone else thinks. I feel like Jesus knew what it was like to be a mortal human like us but that it only goes so far.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
This might sound blasphemous and I do not mean any disrespect towards the Lord but did Jesus really know what it was like to be human? I know he came as a man, was born and suffered many things but I don't think he actually had to deal with the things we have to.

It seems that he chose a lot of the things that happened to him. He chose to be unemployed and as far as we know did not suffer from job loss, he chose to fast for forty days and he probably could have saved himself from crucifixion. What makes it harder to understand is that he had knowledge and power we do not.

He knew for sure there is God, he knew what heaven was like, he had the ability to heal his friends and raise them from the dead, he could divide small quantities of food and stretch them out so starvation was not as dire for him as it is us, he did not need to worry about his health and I feel like it was the easy for him to tell us to forgive our enemies when his are all going to Hell.

Again I don't mean any disrespect. I just want to know what everyone else thinks. I feel like Jesus knew what it was like to be a mortal human like us but that it only goes so far.

Jesus is a human person. It’s post-biblical theology which says that he isn’t.

”There is only one person who is Christ, and that person is divine. Thus, there is no human person named ‘Jesus of Nazareth.’ Jesus is a divine person, and medieval theologians were careful never to refer to Jesus as a human person.”

(William Lane Craig, “Is Worship of Jesus Idolatry?”)

Is Worship of Jesus Idolatry?

Last edited:

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think it is sometimes easy to look at the way he lived and co pare it to our own lives, but the cultures would have had very different issues to face. Who said he was unemployed, he was a carpenter until his ministry began and then he was still working. We know that his earthly father was not around, so had he already dealt with the loss of a parent. The culture at the time was under Roman rule, do you think that was easy to deal with or just because he was Jesus that somehow he just strolled through life without having bad days. The only thing he did not have to deal with until the cross was facing the consequences of sin and the separation it causes us, but he took on our sin on the cross and I believe felt the impact and weight of that…..
At the age of 30 he began his ministry knowing that it would cost him his life, do you think he wouldnthave felt that impact on a human level.
I understand the questioning as I have questioned certain things in my Christian life ,wondering whether Jesus fully understood. However, for me, it was usually the guilt and continuous frustration of making mistakes.

I don’t think I have ever considered that Jesus had an easy life on a human level though, there are many things we are simply not told with regards to what his life was like.
His attitudes to those around him showed empathy and understanding , he cared. As far as I am concerned he is the only one who truly understand me and what I face, so comparing his earthly life and mine simply don’t come into it anymore, I no longer question whether he understands because I just know he does.
Rita

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Proverbs 8:22-27 gives a good account of the Eternal existence of Jesus before He was made to be flesh.
He has always been One in the Father and with the Father, and therefore had no experiential knowledge of what it means to be separated from God, to be forsaken of God or to be mortally dead to God.
It wasn't until His Baptism, that He had the fulness of the Father dwelling WITHIN HIM.
In essence, Jesus really did not know what to expect, and therefore had to live by faith of His Father's will for him.

His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane (John 17:5, Luke 22:44) reveals the agony and stress that he went through of knowing that he would be forsaken, separated and dead from God. THAT ALSO he never experienced.
We however, are born separated, born forsaken and born dead to God, condemned ALREADY, expecting death. John 3:18.
For the first time, the everlasting Son of God tasted [experienced] death for every man.

Hebrews 2[9] But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Reactions: dhh712

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus knows EVERYTHING. He is God the ONLY Savior.

Hosea 13:4 (NKJV)
4 You shall know no God but Me; For there is no Savior besides Me.

Last edited:

robert derrick

Apr 13, 2021
Houston, tx
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus was a man with mortal flesh and temptations like all men.

Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

He set aside His glory and power of God on the throne, where He could not sin, nor even be tempted to sin.

Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man.

He did not however cast aside His love of God to sin against Him.

And so, He is our example to follow as men, and He lives within us to do so as He did in the days of His flesh.

Reactions: Lambano

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus was born a human man. He did not become God until the Catholics made him God in the 4th to 5th century.

Reactions: APAK and Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Jesus was born a human man. He did not become God until the Catholics made him God in the 4th to 5th century.

I was informed a few minutes ago that your post has been reviewed by the staff and found not to be in violation of the new policy! Having received that notification, I feel at liberty to comment on your assertion.

You’ve hit upon an acceptable means of saying “Jesus is not God” while not using the phrase “Jesus is not God”. The key, apparently, is saying that Jesus became God in the 4th to 5th century. In other words, Jesus is God by decree of the church four centuries after earthly ministry of the human man, Jesus of Nazareth, the Messiah promised by God.

Reactions: APAK

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods

If the idesa of a sin nature, total depravity are true where men are innately born with a nature that forces men to sin leaving man with no option but to sin. Yet Christ was not born with a sin nature/total depravity how can it be said Christ understands what it's like to be human?

Peterlag

Jul 20, 2022
New York
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the idesa of a sin nature, total depravity are true where men are innately born with a nature that forces men to sin leaving man with no option but to sin. Yet Christ was not born with a sin nature/total depravity how can it be said Christ understands what it's like to be human?

Bingo