Do you still sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

tabletalk

Feb 6, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct answer is: Yes.
This is true for Christian and non-Christian; even the virgin Mary sinned.

Reactions: Job

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And your evidence that the Virgin Mary sinned is what?

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you are not trying to prove we ARE sinners.
If this is your attemp to prove we are sinners I would have to ask what is YOUR motive for this?
If you have seen the other threads where I asked anyone in the whole world to provide a SINGLE scripture where God call Christians sinners. Again I would have to ask who are YOU working for?

What part of what is not in the new covanant do we not get here?

No one is saying we dont sin. No one is saying we havent sinned.
But I am inclined to believe what God says about anything. If God says I am holy and I sinned fives minutes ago Then who is correct God who says I am holy. OR YOU who says I am a sinner?
In case you miss them there are three questions here for YOU to answer.
I am trying to undersatnd. To be honest li looks like self all over the Christian world. All because of poor mistaught souls.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
man i knew Catholics held Mary to be a god too, but i did not realize it extended this far. Yikes.

a "man i knew". Well that just about wraps it up. No further proof needed! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct answer is: Yes.
This is true for Christian and non-Christian; even the virgin Mary sinned.
That is not biblically correct.

Of course your point is well taken and appreciated, for we do know our [old] self. Yet, biblically, we should not contradict the message with our attempt at honesty. Especially, when we are wrong.

We should instead, consider how it is even possible that it has been preached to us differently than we experience it, and why.

The answer...is that we have not embraced what we were taught. So, then, is our confession to be commended? Not at all. Nonetheless, we are under grace, and it is a good thing - because we now preach a different gospel than was taught to us (if we say we sin after being saved).

Knowing the truth, what shall we therefore do? How shall we live? And what shall we tell our conscience, who thinks it a lie?

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Romans is a great reference for this topic; specifically chapters 4 - 8.

In ch 4:7-8 Paul quotes a Psalm by saying are inquities a forgiven, sins are covered and God will not impute sin. The latter point notes a future tense: God will not impute sin. It won't be accounted to us.

Chapter 5 notes that by grace we are justified by his blood. The chapter ends with a very bold statement: where sin abounded, grace did much more abound. It sets up a very misunderstood question and statement in chapter 6.

That chapter begins by asking shall we continue in sin? God forbid! Most stop there but there is more. It says how shall we continue in sin if we are dead to sin? Some stop there, but again there is more. We (our old man) died with Christ. The old man is our flesh, not our formal life. Go back to Roman4 4.... Sin is no longer imputed to us.

That chapter goes on to say let not sin reign in your mortal body.... I know. But thats the point of the chapter... It can't reign if you died with Christ.

Chapters 7 and 8 are also just as potent. In these 5 chapters I conclude that if you are looking at the flesh, we all sin. But if you look at the spirit, we do not sin.

God is not looking at the flesh. Neither should we.

No, we do not sin.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 1
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
I absolutely agree with what you quoted, especially the words you did not underline and put in red. We are forgiven. Go back to Romans 4... Sin is not imputed. Now since you want to draw from 1 John, go to chapter 3:9. It says if we are born of God we do not sin and CANNOT sin.

It gels perfectly with what Paul was saying.

Job

Feb 5, 2014
somewhere
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I absolutely agree with what you quoted, especially the words you did not underline and put in red. We are forgiven. Go back to Romans 4... Sin is not imputed. Now since you want to draw from 1 John, go to chapter 3:9. It says if we are born of God we do not sin and CANNOT sin.

It gels perfectly with what Paul was saying.

If you catch yourself doing or thinking something sinful, do you ask for forgiveness or do you just ignore it?

Just curious...

m

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you catch yourself doing or thinking something sinful, do you ask for forgiveness or do you just ignore it?

Just curious...

m
I dont ask entrapping questions, nor do I answer them. If you have something to say, say it.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everybody sins.
I absolutely agree with that notion. But I add that it only applies when you look at the flesh. God doesn't look at the flesh of a Christian. Neither should we as it pertains to salvation.