Growing in Spiritual Maturity - Being, not doing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the stuff we do to be Christians. The expectations... (sigh)
I thought salvation was a free gift, until I learned that it will cost me everything. (sigh)
This isn't what I signed up for. (Grr...)

- Did you have your quiet time devotions this morning? (shame)
- Did you study your Bible today? (shame)
- Did you witness to someone about Jesus today? (shame)
- Did you make it to church on Sunday morning? (shame)
- How is your scripture memory program? (shame)
- Did you sign up for that project at church? (shame)
- How much time did you spend in prayer today? (shame)
- Are you going on the mission trip this year? (shame)

And on and on it goes...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these things.
But is this what spiritual maturity is about?
Seems more like a hamster wheel of activity. Going nowhere...

Jesus said to rest in him. That his yoke is easy, his burden is light.
That doesn't seem to level with the list the church gave you.

Maybe the Christian life is more about being than doing?
After all, you are a human being, not a human doing.

Ask yourself...
What does it mean to BE a Christian? (or Christ follower, if you prefer)

Maybe you need a day off from DOING, and a day on of BEING.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps if we were being led by the Spirit of God instead of being engaged in all of men's programs we would fare better with God:

Ro 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps if we were being led by the Spirit of God instead of being engaged in all of men's programs we would fare better with God:

Ro 8:14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
How does a growing Christian learn to be led by the Spirit?

Reactions: marks

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does a growing Christian learn to be led by the Spirit?
Learn to surrender to the Head of the Body, which is Jesus... The connection between Body parts and the Head, I believe, is the Holy Spirit or the white Blood. The red blood is of the flesh and is not to be consumed.

Joh 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Learn to surrender to the Head of the Body, which is Jesus... The connection between Body parts and the Head, I believe, is the Holy Spirit or the white Blood. The red blood is of the flesh and is not to be consumed.

Joh 6:53Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
Joh 6:54Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Joh 6:55For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.
Not sure that is helpful to growing Christians. Especially Protestants.

I've never even heard of "white Blood". ???
I assume that is a Catholic thing? (Eucharist/transubstantiation)

And what that has to do with being led by the Spirit... you'll need to explain... or not?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure that is helpful to growing Christians. Especially Protestants.
How is it we are to grow, but by the Holy Spirit quickening the Words we consume? However, what we should feed to a new person who is both hungry and thirsty for the righteousness may indeed vary some according to the need and according to how the Spirit leads.
I've never even heard of "white Blood". ???
I assume that is a Catholic thing? (Eucharist/transubstantiation)
Certainly not a Catholic thing! I left active Catholicism in 1961 when I graduated from high school.

It was a man on this forum who introduced me to the white blood quite a few years ago. He is no longer on this forum. Consider these two verses :

Joe 3:21For I will cleanse their blood that I have not cleansed: for the LORD dwelleth in Zion.

Re 7:14And I said unto him, Sir, thou knowest. And he said to me, These are they which came out of great tribulation, and have washed their robes, and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.
I won't write any more about that.
And what that has to do with being led by the Spirit... you'll need to explain... or not?
Are we the sons of God? Are becoming sons of God? Are we becoming more like Jesus?
Joh 17:21That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
Joh 17:22And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are we becoming more like Jesus?
This has become something of a catch-phrase. Worth exploring.

Even claiming to follow Jesus is curious.

By example we should be a gang of wandering homeless people going from town to town healing the sick, raising the dead, driving out demons, and preaching in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Not sure that was the intention. Certainly not where we ended up.

So, what does Jesus want for us?

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

By example we should be a gang of wandering homeless people going from town to town healing the sick, raising the dead, driving out demons, and preaching in the synagogue on the Sabbath. Not sure that was the intention. Certainly not where we ended up.

We each follow Christ at whatever distance we find reasonable and comfortable. The deeper blessings come from the Lord when we are no longer measuring our devotion to what we think is reasonable....but allowing our devotion to Him to get us swept up into His presence. Remember Mary who poured out the costly perfume on Jesus after the alabaster container was broken.

When we are broken in the outer man, we give God access to our worship from the inner man in an offering that is as a sweet smelling fragrance that is pleasing to the Lord.

We will do that when we desire the sweet fragrance of His presence in our every moment.

Keturah

Dec 19, 2022
Here
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"So, what does Jesus want for us?"....St. SteVen

IMHO.......

JOHN 12:26 KJV
"If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour."
MATTHEW 10:24 KJV
"The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord."

Words of Jesus, the 1st was when Jesus was doing the will of the Father & they called him a devil. We will suffer persecution if we carry the  truth to an unbelieving & rebellious world. Jesus said to take up  our cross & follow him. This means we must crucify our fleshly desires and be led of the Spirit & portray his fruit.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Romans 81 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, [1]2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death.3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, [2] God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. [3] And so he condemned sin in sinful man, [4]4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.5Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires.6 The mind of sinful man [5] is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace;7 the sinful mind [6] is hostile to God. It does not submit to God's law, nor can it do so.8 Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God.9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ.10 But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness.11 And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you.12 Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation--but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it.13 For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live,14 because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. [7] And by him we cry, "Abba, [8]Father."16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.19The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed.20 For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope21 that [9] the creation itself will be liberated from its bondage to decay and brought into the glorious freedom of the children of God.22 We know that the whole creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time.23 Not only so, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for our adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.24 For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has?25 But if we hope for what we do not yet have, we wait for it patiently.26 In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express.27And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God's will.28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, [10] who [11] have been called according to his purpose.29 For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.30 And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified.31 What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us?32 He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?33 Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies.34 Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?36 As it is written: "For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered." [12]37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, [13] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers,39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Reactions: Behold

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

See what occurs here:

Joh 6:25And when they had found him on the other side of the sea, they said unto him, Rabbi, when camest thou hither?
Joh 6:26Jesus answered them and said, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Ye seek me, not because ye saw the miracles, but because ye did eat of the loaves, and were filled.

Some people are pressing for more of the physical miracles, the free meals here from God but today how many are putting Uncle Sam or their own governments in the place of God simply to satisfy their carnal desires, to fill their bellies as if that were the most important thing.... then hear Jesus again:

Joh 6:27Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you: for him hath God the Father sealed.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All the stuff we do to be Christians. The expectations... (sigh)
I thought salvation was a free gift, until I learned that it will cost me everything. (sigh)
This isn't what I signed up for. (Grr...)

- Did you have your quiet time devotions this morning? (shame)
- Did you study your Bible today? (shame)
- Did you witness to someone about Jesus today? (shame)
- Did you make it to church on Sunday morning? (shame)
- How is your scripture memory program? (shame)
- Did you sign up for that project at church? (shame)
- How much time did you spend in prayer today? (shame)
- Are you going on the mission trip this year? (shame)

And on and on it goes...

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with these things.
But is this what spiritual maturity is about?
Seems more like a hamster wheel of activity. Going nowhere...

Jesus said to rest in him. That his yoke is easy, his burden is light.
That doesn't seem to level with the list the church gave you.

Maybe the Christian life is more about being than doing?
After all, you are a human being, not a human doing.

Ask yourself...
What does it mean to BE a Christian? (or Christ follower, if you prefer)

Maybe you need a day off from DOING, and a day on of BEING.

Indeed, at the finish line of arriving at the house of God should be a cool drink of water, rest, and celebration.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BEING = DOING = BEING
That is the example of Christ Himself.
Right.
BEING gives meaning to the DOING.
DOING, as you pointed out, should be the outcome of BEING.

Could you explain why you put BEING at the end of the equation?

In a sense, BEING does not automatically equal DOING.
And DOING does not automatically equal BEING.

To put it in context...
There are Christians that are fully aware of WHO they are in Christ.
But it does not manifest in DOING. Or at least not at level one would expect.
And there are Christians that are very active in DOING with little thought to who they are in Christ.
That's the group I am addressing in my statement, "Maybe the Christian life is more about being than doing?"

It's as if the BEING aspect is swept aside by the overwhelming activity of DOING.

Reactions: marks

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. But because what we DO reflects who we ARE, this dichotomy causes the cognitive dissonance Paul describes so well in Romans 7. (And yes, the debate on who the "I" is in Romans 7 has kept the theologians busy since the time of Luther.)

And frankly, I don't think Paul's disassociation of "the flesh" with the "self" in verse 20 is helpful. (Even though that's what this thread is about, isn't it?)

Last edited:
Reactions: St. SteVen

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Right.
BEING gives meaning to the DOING.
DOING, as you pointed out, should be the outcome of BEING.

Could you explain why you put BEING at the end of the equation?

To put it in context...
There are Christians that are fully aware of WHO they are in Christ.
But it does not manifest in DOING. Or at least not at level one would expect.
And there are Christians that are very active in DOING with little thought to who they are in Christ.
That's the group I am addressing in my statement, "Maybe the Christian life is more about being than doing?"

It's as if the BEING aspect is swept aside by the overwhelming activity of DOING.
Spiritual balance is very hard to achieve. If we are "doing" what we ought to do ...we don't need to claim to "be" anything at all. in fact, it's an ego trap to claim to be anything. As Jesus said...we should not let our left hand know what our right hand is doing. Sometimes trying to "be" something is trying to be something we are not.

If we truly "are" then the doing will follow naturally. If we ARE kind then we will act with kindness. If we are in the Spirit we will produce the fruit of the Spirit.