"Hallowed be thy Name!" - WHAT name?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just what IS God's Name?

• LORD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • GOD

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Jehovah ("Yahweh" in Hebrew)

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Jun2u

Mar 6, 2014
Southern CA.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no "Bet".
He has a few SYMBOLIC 'names', but only one PERSONAL name.
Why don't you ever accept it- since you claim to BELIEVE the Bible?

“Bet” was designed to be a figure of speech, knowing you will decline the offer thinking, with doubt, ‘is there really another name for God?’

To assure you, there is another name for God known only to a child of God!

For that, you will have to search Scriptures like any other Christian. Oops, did I asked if you were a Christian, because you do not support with Scriptures what you declare?

To God Be The Glory

Reactions: Helen

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what is known as "deflection".
Rather than to actually cite a verse or two in support of your statements / claims. You redirect / deflect and attempt to insinuate that it is now my fault in that it doesn't mean anything to me. You love to throw out bait, then verbally provoke / abuse. Those that engage in such, have no respect whatsoever for the target person / group. Which, is self-evident by the actions of those who engage in such.
So bring forth some verses in support.

Lol.... no depth of understanding. He can't go past what someone else has provided. An attempt to appear knowledgeable by standing on anothers foundation which appears to have been in error from its inception.
It would seem that this one and the question (who I finally had to ignore for his blasphemy) are one flesh...
If heaven were full of such behavior I would rather not exist.

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You STILL don't understand?
You are correct in that.......I am not a learned person neither in Greek, Hebrew or even to some extent English ( as it was not my first language ), so I can't disagree with what you say in regard to the various written accounts......All I am able to do, is to pass on that Jesus responded to me, as I called His name, the same way we say it in English and helped me to understand that He KNOWS who is calling Him, with all their heart and that it is the faith with which we call upon His name, that gets His attention, not the pronunciation of His name. Isn't it time we all stop putting so many limitations upon God and just let Him do as He pleases? lol.............I have met and keep coming across Christians who insist on 'keeping' God in a box still ( like a modern Ark of the covenant ), like He can't do as He sees fit, and far too few treat Him as Jesus suggested, as our Loving Father.
One thing I have not heard much teaching on is how odd it is, that at first we are told God has a name which is basically unpronounceable and ( I have heard some say ) became a 'crime' somewhat to even speak.........Then we come to Jesus or Yeshua ( as some prefer) which within the Hebrew nation, is a very common name, much like our 'John' or 'Joe' .........I am sure there is a clue for us in this :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@pia well said.
And, what happened to "the simplicity that is in Christ." And Mark 10 "receiving the kingdom as a child." :)
2 Cor 11:3 "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ."

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You STILL don't understand
I am having a hard time understanding what it is you find ever so important about this ?....As I wrote somewhere else to you, I can't say that you are wrong about His name, nor am I trying to, but please can you help me comprehend WHY you think it so important ?

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
Lol.... no depth of understanding.

Indubitably. Which is why my very first reply was designed to reveal of the one IF there was 'emet, if there was understanding, and if there was depth. The answer was no on all three counts. And the answer remained illusive to that one.

He can't go past what someone else has provided. An attempt to appear knowledgeable by standing on anothers foundation which appears to have been in error from its inception.

Indubitably. However, coming out of one thing to find another, I can see how it happens. I spent too much time amoung the cults of this world. Those disillusioned are ripe and easy pickens for such. They are all too easy prey. However the prey, has become the predator. In more ways than one, for it was also always a predator.

<snip>
If heaven were full of such behavior I would rather not exist.

I am speechless. For that is my sentiment(s) upon it exactly and has been for many a long year!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indubitably. Which is why my very first reply was designed to reveal of the one IF there was 'emet, if there was understanding, and if there was depth. The answer was no on all three counts. And the answer remained illusive to that one.

I had hope and it pains me to have to give up.

Indubitably. However, coming out of one thing to find another, I can see how it happens. I spent too much time amoung the cults of this world. Those disillusioned are ripe and easy pickens for such. They are all too easy prey. However the prey, has become the predator. In more ways than one, for it was also always a predator.

God has had mercy on you Richard and I bow to the Father of all life that he has seen you through those times.

I am speechless. For that is my sentiment(s) upon it exactly and has been for many a long year!

Seek ye first the kingdom....
What kingdom do we seek? remember I asked of what feather you are... My feather is to be good like God, I seek a kingdom where all of his creations can live without fear and locks and guards and police. I seek a kingdom where I can be what I desire to be... among those of a feather.
God has had mercy on me and shown that there are feathers like me existing in this time and I thank the Father daily for his mercies.

Reactions: Richard_oti

Richard_oti

Mar 17, 2008
I had hope and it pains me to have to give up.

Yeah, I saw that in you. My heart went out to you in that. But, I also knew there was a lesson in it.

God has had mercy on you Richard and I bow to the Father of all life that he has seen you through those times.

I am not sure if you understood correctly, for I was not plain. He sent me there. It was an odyssey indeed. My apologies if I misunderstood you.

Seek ye first the kingdom....
What kingdom do we seek? remember I asked of what feather you are... My feather is to be good like God, I seek a kingdom where all of his creations can live without fear and locks and guards and police. I seek a kingdom where I can be what I desire to be... among those of a feather.
God has had mercy on me and shown that there are feathers like me existing in this time and I thank the Father daily for his mercies.

Indeed!

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not sure if you understood correctly, for I was not plain. He sent me there. It was an odyssey indeed. My apologies if I misunderstood you.
I did not. I presumed you were in a time of still being veiled and learning.
You never need apologize to me.

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“Bet” was designed to be a figure of speech, knowing you will decline the offer thinking, with doubt, ‘is there really another name for God?’

To assure you, there is another name for God known only to a child of God!

For that, you will have to search Scriptures like any other Christian. Oops, did I asked if you were a Christian, because you do not support with Scriptures what you declare?

To God Be The Glory

I guess you think you're being clever.
yawn

What is the definition of "Forever" in churchese?

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are correct in that.......I am not a learned person neither in Greek, Hebrew or even to some extent English ( as it was not my first language ), so I can't disagree with what you say in regard to the various written accounts......All I am able to do, is to pass on that Jesus responded to me, as I called His name, the same way we say it in English and helped me to understand that He KNOWS who is calling Him, with all their heart and that it is the faith with which we call upon His name, that gets His attention, not the pronunciation of His name. Isn't it time we all stop putting so many limitations upon God and just let Him do as He pleases? lol.............I have met and keep coming across Christians who insist on 'keeping' God in a box still ( like a modern Ark of the covenant ), like He can't do as He sees fit, and far too few treat Him as Jesus suggested, as our Loving Father.
One thing I have not heard much teaching on is how odd it is, that at first we are told God has a name which is basically unpronounceable and ( I have heard some say ) became a 'crime' somewhat to even speak.........Then we come to Jesus or Yeshua ( as some prefer) which within the Hebrew nation, is a very common name, much like our 'John' or 'Joe' .........I am sure there is a clue for us in this :)

That's just it- it IS pronounceable, once the spirit lets you see thru the Name Game!
Do you think he would LET His Name become unknown to His people- even after Jesus told us to HONOR it?
VERY good points!
That is exactly how Jesus works and responds- to sincerity!
And whether we call out to Jehovah or Yahweh, it's whether we are sincere or not that determines if Jehovah will lead us to His son!
Unlike churchoids, you ADMIT it when you don't know the facts yet!

AGAPE, PIA!
(PS- Never forget that God's Name is a part of many OTHER names- like "Jesus", the English version COMPLETELY different from the original "Yehoshua"!)

pia

May 30, 2009
West Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is exactly how Jesus works and responds- to sincerity!
Thank you.....I am still learning and expect to be doing so, till my time comes ( perhaps even more after )....It is what makes my life livable .
Much peace to you and yes Agape ( a surely lovely Word )......Pia :D

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Games Churchoids Play.
Regardless of how the pronunciation began, Jehovah IS his name in ENGLISH, it was even in the Bible brought over on the Mayflower.
The vowels for YHWH are not lost, since it is a part of so MANY names in the 'Old Testament'...or are you saying the names such as Hezekiah, Jonah, Micah, Jeremiah, etc are ALL lost- and are real names, either?

That, unless we speak ancient Hebrew we are wrong?

What church do you go to?
Soooo, the Mayflower is the origin of truth??

The UNBIBLICAL word, "Jehovah" is not in ANY manuscript before the 13th century, when the Dominican friar, Raymundo Martini first formulated it. I believe the Mayflower sailed about 350 years later . . .

God's name is not now - nor was it ever "Jehovah".
It's just a word that your founder, Charles Taze Russell attached his cult to.

Last edited:

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even today, the Name of God shows up in people's names. Benjamin Netanyahu, current prime minister of Israel for one. Netahyahu means "gift of Yahweh".

And is Yeshua (Jesus) the Yahweh of scripture?

Isaiah 41:4 (NKJV) Who has performed and done it,
Calling the generations from the beginning?
‘I, the Lord (YHWH), am the first;
And with the last I am He

Isaiah 44:6 (NKJV) Thus says the Lord (YHWH), the King of Israel,
And his Redeemer, the Lord of hosts:
‘I am the First and I am the Last;
Besides Me there is no God.

Isaiah 48:12 (NKJV) Listen to Me, O Jacob,
And Israel, My called:
I am He, I am the First,
I am also the Last.

And is Yeshua the first and the last?

Revelation 1:17-18 (NKJV ) And when I saw Him, I fell at His feet as dead. But He laid His right hand on me, saying to me, “Do not be afraid; I am the First and the Last. 18 I am He who lives, and was dead, and behold, I am alive forevermore. Amen. And I have the keys of Hades and of Death.

Revelation 2:8 (NKJV) And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write,
‘These things says the First and the Last, who was dead, and came to life:

Last edited:

KBCid

Dec 22, 2011
Atlanta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Col1:12 Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13 Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: 14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: 17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

Indeed Christ was the firstborn and the last....the bright Morning Star.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

Copperhead

Jul 3, 2017
iowa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep in mind, firstborn is a designation of position by election. Even thought Esau was "firstborn" in the sense of birth, Jacob was considered the firstborn by standing. This is what confuses folks like JW's. They think Yeshua was created as the first born. No. He is firstborn as a title of position, yet still the one God, Elohim.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep in mind, firstborn is a designation of position by election. Even thought Esau was "firstborn" in the sense of birth, Jacob was considered the firstborn by standing. This is what confuses folks like JW's. They think Yeshua was created as the first born. No. He is firstborn as a title of position, yet still the one God, Elohim.
good response on "First Born", correct.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hallowed be thy Name...it is the same Name we are not to take in vain.
So it must be pretty important.