Hello!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T. E. Smith

Apr 21, 2022
USA
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
After trying everything I could think of, I gave up, I lie in my bed one night and began talking to a God I had no idea even existed, and said-- "If you are there--I need some answers. I need to what life is all about and what my part in it is. If it all just ends in failure upon failure--what's the use? I know this is the place where people take their own life--but I am not going to do it--if you want my life You can take it--You can have it! If I don't get some answers, I have just one thing left that has not failed me--I am going to go live in the woods."
I have done the same. Talked to God regularly back when I was a Christian and during my period of deconversion. I never felt or heard anything. When I was a Christian, I just thought I was not strong enough in the faith and had to read and meditate on the Bible more to be able to interact with God. My pastor told me to pray that God would convict me of my sin - but I believed I had sin, yet I received nothing from God. As my religion was slipping away I talked to God perhaps more than I'd ever had, like when you know a friend is moving away and you try to spend as much time with them as possible. But he was as silent as ever. Eventually I realized that he had never been there for me in the first place.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I do want to know you all's thoughts on the matter, but to me, yes it is a discussion. A discussion that I am interested in and consider important, though.
You mentioned that you were brought up Baptist; I was brought up Anglican/Church of England so i thought I was a Christian and stopped attending services as soon as I was old enough to make my own choice. I still thought I was Christian because I believed in God. But many years later I was given a little booklet which on reading, opened my eyes to the truth that I wasn't and never had been a Christian in the true sense - that is born again. I saw the truth explained simply and used the prayer in the book to offer repentance and ask Jesus into my life and have never looked back.

During my early years I knew about Jesus and knew about God but - a big but - I didn't know them in a personal way it was a bit like I know about our Queen Elizabeth or David Beckham or Tom Cruise but they are really strangers. Until I received Jesus he too was a stranger and now he isn't and I am in love with him and know he loves me.

Journey into Life: Amazon.co.uk: Warren, Norman: 9781842912386: Books
This is the booklet but there are many others with the same message.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have done the same. Talked to God regularly back when I was a Christian and during my period of deconversion. I never felt or heard anything. When I was a Christian, I just thought I was not strong enough in the faith and had to read and meditate on the Bible more to be able to interact with God. My pastor told me to pray that God would convict me of my sin - but I believed I had sin, yet I received nothing from God. As my religion was slipping away I talked to God perhaps more than I'd ever had, like when you know a friend is moving away and you try to spend as much time with them as possible. But he was as silent as ever. Eventually I realized that he had never been there for me in the first place.
That's just God giving you more time (not because He needs it, but you apparently).

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello everyone! To introduce myself: I'm an atheist teenager from Kentucky. I'd been religious (Baptist) most of my life, until nearly my sixteenth birthday, at which point my deconversion, lasting roughly a year, began. Despite my religious preferences, I still regularly read and study the Bible and have a great appreciation for it. And though I'm now a fulfilled atheist, I'm still glad to be here on the forums to discuss the Bible, apologetics, and other topics with all of you :)
G'day Mr Smith.....glad you checked in!
If self honesty is of value to you, you will go places few go. On the other hand, if self justification is the priority you will get lost in the labyrinth like most.

Reactions: bbyrd009

JPPT1974

Flowers of May
Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 23, 2012
East TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello and welcome. Feel free to post. Hope you enjoy your stay on. God bless!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Welcome to the forum T. E. Smith. :)

Interesting that at 17 you have lost something you probably never had.....?
Can you outline for me what it was that caused you to doubt the most?
Unanswered prayers seem to feature strongly, so can I ask you what you expected those prayers to accomplish?

I see that you prayed a lot...can I also ask you who you prayed to?
And if it was to "God", who did you think you were addressing? What concept do you have of Him?
What relationship do you think he has with Jesus?

What happened during your period of 'deconversion'?

I guess your family were very disappointed if they have stayed with the church?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum,
It’s not unusual to rethink what you believe as you go through the teenage years. All my children came to church with me, but In their teenage years they started to think for themselves rather than believe just because ‘ mum did ‘. That is part of the journey as you evaluate your own thoughts on the whole matter.
My youngest was pretty much where you were up until last year ( he is now 28 )
He had a respect for Jesus and the New Testament and would listen to Jordon Peterson discuss the Bible. He would have classed himself an atheist. Gradually over many years, and after he decided to re read scripture, he found that He believed it and came to faith last year.
The Lord used many things, including an accident to get his attention but Jordon Peterson ( who was not a believer as such ) played a big part. Also I never preached to him, just discussed things when he had questions………..
My other three children have mixed views, my oldest is a skeptic, my middle son is t sure , my daughter was a believer but the church didn’t really act in the right way towards her and she drew back. She still has her Bible but it’s difficult to know exactly where she is, she is still open and my youngest often discusses things with her. Me, I pray for them but know they have Togo on their own journeys as it has to be real and not just to fall in line with me xx
Rita

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello everyone! To introduce myself: I'm an atheist teenager from Kentucky. I'd been religious (Baptist) most of my life, until nearly my sixteenth birthday, at which point my deconversion, lasting roughly a year, began. Despite my religious preferences, I still regularly read and study the Bible and have a great appreciation for it. And though I'm now a fulfilled atheist, I'm still glad to be here on the forums to discuss the Bible, apologetics, and other topics with all of you :)

Hello, welcome to the forum.

Curious, about your point of saying “deconversion”.
Care to expound?
How you believe you became “converted”...?
How you believe you became “reconverted”...?

Thanks,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You say back when you “was” a Christian...
What does being “a Christian” mean to you?

You say you “believed” you “had” sin, yet received nothing from God.
Are you familiar with the Passage; ?
John 9:
[31] Now we know that God heareth not sinners: but if any man be a worshipper of God, and doeth his will, him heareth.

Thanks,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Welcome to the forum,
It’s not unusual to rethink what you believe as you go through the teenage years. All my children came to church with me, but In their teenage years they started to think for themselves rather than believe just because ‘ mum did ‘. That is part of the journey as you evaluate your own thoughts on the whole matter.
My youngest was pretty much where you were up until last year ( he is now 28 )
He had a respect for Jesus and the New Testament and would listen to Jordon Peterson discuss the Bible. He would have classed himself an atheist. Gradually over many years, and after he decided to re read scripture, he found that He believed it and came to faith last year.
The Lord used many things, including an accident to get his attention but Jordon Peterson ( who was not a believer as such ) played a big part. Also I never preached to him, just discussed things when he had questions………..
My other three children have mixed views, my oldest is a skeptic, my middle son is t sure , my daughter was a believer but the church didn’t really act in the right way towards her and she drew back. She still has her Bible but it’s difficult to know exactly where she is, she is still open and my youngest often discusses things with her. Me, I pray for them but know they have Togo on their own journeys as it has to be real and not just to fall in line with me xx
Rita
@Rita A privilege to be a prayer warrior, right? trusting that the Word of God will take effect in their lives.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
What parts of the Bible do you appreciate?