Is Jesus the "third temple"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

jeffweeder

Jul 6, 2007
South Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 2:19 ESV
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
No.
Those who are redeemed by his blood having faith in Jesus become the place where God dwells.

2 Corinthians 6:16
What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said: “I will dwell among them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No.
Those who are redeemed by his blood having faith in Jesus become the place where God dwells.

2 Corinthians 6:16
What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said: “I will dwell among them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people.

If Jesus is not the third temple, is it possible that it's something else, perhaps something figurative rather than literal as in someone actually building a massive "third" temple in Jerusalem? To me that just seems too obvious, and unlikely. I think it's something, or someone, else.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think!!! Jesus and a believer's body iare a temple but not the temple that Rome tore down in 70AD.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 2:19 ESV
Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.”
Christ is not the 3rd temple, as the other two were built with human hands for the worship of God before Christ's death. Christ, his risen spirit with a new spirit-only body became the 1st fully spiritual human temple and member of God's family. This act of Christ's resurrection automatically rescinded and made the function of the previous style of physical temples obsolete for good, never to be reconstructed anew for the purpose of worship again. And the physical destruction of the 2nd temple in 70 AD is God's work to make the point he is done with physical temple worship once and for all. To show humanity he is truly spirit and he demands worship in spiritual 'form' not of physical movements, acts or events and ceremonies and rites.

And have we considered God's ways, purpose and his will today especially regarding worship...? Not at all...Many over the centuries carried on construction of their own temples/churches and some are still hoping for a 3rd physical 'Jewish' temple to be build...in defiance of his wishes..

Reactions: face2face

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ is not the 3rd temple, as the other two were built with human hands for the worship of God before Christ's death. Christ, his risen spirit with a new spirit-only body became the 1st fully spiritual human temple and member of God's family. This act of Christ's resurrection automatically rescinded and made the function of the previous style of physical temples obsolete for good, never to be reconstructed anew for the purpose of worship again. And the physical destruction of the 2nd temple in 70 AD is God's work to make the point he is done with physical temple worship once and for all. To show humanity he is truly spirit and he demands worship in spiritual 'form' not of physical movements, acts or events and ceremonies and rites.

And have we considered God's ways, purpose and his will today especially regarding worship...? Not at all...Many over the centuries carried on construction of their own temples/churches and some are still hoping for a 3rd physical 'Jewish' temple to be build...in defiance of his wishes..

Is there a third temple or will there be?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between the actual built temple of God by men out of stone, and symbolic temples which are our bodies.

God has not commanded in scripture for a third stone building to be built.

Reactions: DavidTaylor

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there verses wherein God commanded the building of the previous two?

Yes.

1Ch 28:10 Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.
1Ch 28:11 Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,

Hag 1:2 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD'S house should be built.
Hag 1:3 Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
Hag 1:4 Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?
Hag 1:5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
Hag 1:6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
Hag 1:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
Hag 1:8 Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the LORD.

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

1Ch 28:10 Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.
1Ch 28:11 Then David gave to Solomon his son the pattern of the porch, and of the houses thereof, and of the treasuries thereof, and of the upper chambers thereof, and of the inner parlours thereof, and of the place of the mercy seat,

Hag 1:2 Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD'S house should be built.
Hag 1:3 Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,
Hag 1:4 Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?
Hag 1:5 Now therefore thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
Hag 1:6 Ye have sown much, and bring in little; ye eat, but ye have not enough; ye drink, but ye are not filled with drink; ye clothe you, but there is none warm; and he that earneth wages earneth wages to put it into a bag with holes.
Hag 1:7 Thus saith the LORD of hosts; Consider your ways.
Hag 1:8 Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the LORD.

Thank you.

Is the "third" temple even Biblical?

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you.

Is the "third" temple even Biblical?

It's debatable. A temple is mentioned in Rev 11. Some believe it was a previous temple, a future temple or a symbolic temple. I believe it is symbolic. Another refers to the man of sin standing in the temple claiming to be God. I believe that is also symbolic.

Reactions: Patrick1966

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's debatable. A temple is mentioned in Rev 11. Some believe it was a previous temple, a future temple or a symbolic temple. I believe it is symbolic. Another refers to the man of sin standing in the temple claiming to be God. I believe that is also symbolic.
I didn't see anything about that in Revelation 11 but it is mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:4.

4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't see anything about that in Revelation 11

I was talking about this temple:

Rev 11:1 And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't see anything about that in Revelation 11 but it is mentioned in 2 Thessalonians 2:4.

4 who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God.
Yes, a "temple" is mentioned in 2 Thes 2.4, but certainly doesn't qualify to be compared with either of the 1st two temples! They were built with fanfare and regalia. There was a lot of Scripture devoted to preparing for them.

But the temple in 2 Thes 2.4 that Antichrist will sit in? Nothing. It can't be a "3rd temple." ...in my opinion.

What is the temple of Antichrist then? Since Herod's Temple is gone, it seems there is no temple for Antichrist to take his seat in? Perhaps Paul just meant this figuratively, stating that like Antiochus 4 and the Roman Army in 70 AD, defiling the OT Temple, Antichrist will assume the position of Deity with respect to Christianity, which is God's NT Temple?

I find that biblical prophecy is not averse to utilize OT images to prophesy NT truths. Certainly, Rev 11 does this!

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yea, maybe the antichrist declares his deity in just a typical place of worship.

It says he does this in the temple of God, not just any old place.

2Th_2:4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If Jesus is not the third temple, is it possible that it's something else, perhaps something figurative rather than literal as in someone actually building a massive "third" temple in Jerusalem? To me that just seems too obvious, and unlikely. I think it's something, or someone, else.
Patrick 1966, you are absolutely correct!
In fact, you are so correct, that most all of "church-ianity" has missed it for centuries, through the words: "the abomination that maketh desolate", of which Jesus Himself was pointing to, through Daniel's prophetic words.
Your first 7 words of question in post #3 , answered your quote in post #1.

God gave us the clue in Proverbs 6
[16] These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
[17]
1. A proud look,
2. a lying tongue,
7. and hands that shed innocent blood,
[18]
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations,
5. feet that be swift in running to mischief,
[19]
6. A false witness that speaketh lies,
3. And he that soweth discord among brethren.

Can you discover the hidden seventh abomination that God was pointing to, that had to do with Jesus, as it is written in John 2:19?

Edit: in Proverbs 6:16-19, you should remember that God originally called out six abominations that he hated, but then interjected with the seventh.

Do you recall Jesus being at the Govenor's seat of Pontius Pilate? If not, you should re-read it, for in it, you will discover who it was that committed the 7th abomination against God, aka "the abomination that maketh desolate". Mat. 27:11-25. Especially vs. 24-25.

You should now KNOW, that the "AoD" IS PAST!!

Most Christians can't handle the truth of it!!
Not that they wouldn't, but because of the grievious errors of interpretation in Daniel, by church-ianity, they have been deceived by "the wisdom of men", and led astray. 1 Cor. 2:5

Last edited:

Patrick1966

Dec 21, 2022
Orlando, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Patrick 1966, you are absolutely correct!
In fact, you are so correct, that most all of "church-ianity" has missed it for centuries, through the words: "the abomination that maketh desolate", of which Jesus Himself was pointing to, through Daniel's prophetic words.
Your first 7 words of question in post #3 , answered your quote in post #1.

God gave us the clue in Proverbs 6
[16] These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:
[17]
1. A proud look,
2. a lying tongue,
3.and hands that shed innocent blood,
[18]
4. An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations,
5. feet that be swift in running to mischief,
[19]
6. A false witness that speaketh lies, and
7. he that soweth discord among brethren.

Can you discover the hidden seventh abomination that God was pointing to, that had to do with what Jesus said in John 2:19?

I'm doing good just to properly spell my own name.