KJV Only...which one!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
(2) The Greek text used for the KJV is based on Byzantine Greek manuscripts, the oldest and most error-filled manuscripts that had to be used because older, more accurate manuscripts were not yet available.
And you need to be educated on the difference between truth and lies. What you have stated here is TOTAL NONSENSE. The so-called "older and more accurate" manuscripts were the most corrupt in existence! Aleph, A, B, C, D have all been shown to be a bunch of corrupt manuscripts, and Aleph and B are the primary manuscripts used in the critical texts.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
(2) A more substantial error is the ending of Mark (16:9-20) that was invented because scribes could tolerate the current ending, "But they told no one; for they [the women at the tomb] were afraid (16:8)." There are other invented endings, but the one in the false ending used in the KJV is written in a different Greek style from Mark and is missing from some early manuscripts.
More lies and nonsense from Berserk. Do you know that Codex Sinaiticus has a blank space which exactly matches the space required for the last twelve verses of Mark? And do you know that Dean John William Burgon actually wrote a book titled The Last Twelve Verses of Mark to prove that people like yourself have no clue about the truth of the matter? That portion of Scripture is as authentic as the rest of the Gospel of Mark.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And you need to be educated on the difference between truth and lies. What you have stated here is TOTAL NONSENSE. The so-called "older and more accurate" manuscripts were the most corrupt in existence! Aleph, A, B, C, D have all been shown to be a bunch of corrupt manuscripts, and Aleph and B are the primary manuscripts used in the critical texts.
More lies and nonsense from Berserk. Do you know that Codex Sinaiticus has a blank space which exactly matches the space required for the last twelve verses of Mark? And do you know that Dean John William Burgon actually wrote a book titled The Last Twelve Verses of Mark to prove that people like yourself have no clue about the truth of the matter? That portion of Scripture is as authentic as the rest of the Gospel of Mark.

Enoch's typical mindless pontification written by one who has never even read a book written by a universally recognized competent Text Critic. I happened to study under the world's leading expert on Text Criticism at Princeton, Bruce Metzger, who edited the standard modern critical NT Greek text. Readers will also note that Enoch ducked both my examples of errors in the KJV's Greek text. Enoch, actually read those examples and respond specifically their rationals. Speculation about blank space in one ancient manuscript is too subjective to outweigh the evidence I provide and in any case can't explain why that space is blank! I hope you've go your rat poison and pet rattler so you can obey Jesus' "signs' of the true believer.:rolleyes:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Enoch's typical mindless pontification written by one who has never even read a book written by a universally recognized competent Text Critic.
Actually I have a whole collection of books written by outstanding textual scholars who thoroughly refuted all the lies and nonsense about the "oldest and best" (read oldest and worst) manuscripts.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to be educated in the modern discipline of Text Criticism. Let's begin with 3 observations:
(1) There are 400,000 variant readings in the NT manuscripts alone.
(2) The Greek text used for the KJV is based on Byzantine Greek manuscripts, the oldest and most error-filled manuscripts that had to be used because older, more accurate manuscripts were not yet available.
(3) Even common sense dictates that the more tired scribes hand-cope the countless words of biblical manuscripts, the more miscopying, accidental or willful, will creep into the text to deceive subsequent copiers.
To identify and correct these errors, Text Critics group the manuscripts by date, text type, and region of origin. Then it becomes easy to identify when, where, and why most errors crept into the text. These corrections can then be compared with exact Bible quotations from Church Fathers who wrote earlier than the Greek NT manuscripts available to us and had access to still earlier NT manuscripts.

And only One Holy Spirit in us to teach us and not men. Just saying, I hoped you discerned with the Lord Jesus Christ everything you had been taught and especially when you translate because I have seen Greek scholars contend over the meaning of verses like John 6:63 & 2 Corinthians 3:6 That should prove to you that wisdom still has to come from the Lord, right?

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Here are just 2 of the countless examples of KJV errors:
(1) In John 1:28 the earliest and best manuscript evidence says that John preached and baptized at "Bethany beyond the Jordan." In Aramaic "Bethany" can mean "house of the ferry boat." We know from the most ancient maps that there were no bridges over the Jordan. Instead, travelers pulled themselves across by hanging on to a rope bridging the river to pull themselves across in a boat. Hence, ferry boat. The early church father Origin c. 220 AD) didn't know this when he went to the traditional spot of John's baptism south near Jericho and asked where Bethay is. He guy he asked didn't know, but pointed to "Bethabara" as a good candidate for the locale of John's preaching. Thus, "Bethabara" crept into the text as a replacement of "Bethany in John 1:28. But Origen admits that earlier NT manuscripts available to him (but not to us) read "Bethany" instead. A simple example of the corrupt text used by the KJV translators.

Interesting background information. Just so you know I believe the KJV can be better translated in some places in English like Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37 & Acts 12:4 as Tyndale was responsible for translating "pascha" as Passover first in the O.T. to be the same as Easter in the N.T.

Did Origin said that is why he had changed the text? Not sure he can change all those manuscripts though but it is a valid question.

Looking on the internet; I have fond this;

BETHABARA

""House of the ford, a place on the east bank of the Jordan, where" John was baptizing (John 1:28). It may be identical with "Bethbarah, the ancient ford of Jordan of which the men of" Ephraim took possession (Judg. 7:24). The Revised Version reads "Bethany beyond Jordan. It was the great ford, and still bears" "the name of "the ford," Makhadhet `Abarah, "the ford of crossing" "over," about 25 miles from Nazareth. (See [61]BETHBARAH.)"

So I went to Bible Gateway and compared the KJV with the ESV of John 1:28 wit Judges 7:24

John 1:28;Judges 7:24 KJV;ESV - These things were done in Bethabara - Bible Gateway

Both KJV & ESV of Judges 7:24 refers to Bethbarah so God be willing, I reckon you & I need to investigate this more so by that reference to Origin.

(2) A more substantial error is the ending of Mark (16:9-20) that was invented because scribes could tolerate the current ending, "But they told no one; for they [the women at the tomb] were afraid (16:8)." There are other invented endings, but the one in the false ending used in the KJV is written in a different Greek style from Mark and is missing from some early manuscripts. Indeed, one ancient manuscript of this ending actually identifies the forger as Aristo of Pella (c. 165 AD). And do you really think that the risen Lord would identify "poison-drinking and snake-handling with impunity as a "sign" of the true believer, as the KJV's bogus ending of Mark claims? (16:17).

I am not sure if any message has been changed that would lead a believer astray if that be the case except for that last one.

You should make a thread on that Mark 16:17 alone since some Pentecostals/ Charismatics actually risks their lives and a few have died doing that. Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow believers like it did to Paul.

Acts 28:1And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita. 2 And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold. 3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. 5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm. 6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

Just sharing an example for why saved believers should not be following signs or seeking after the Holy Spirit for a sign when signs follow them and it is still for the unbelievers; not for the believers as proof of anything.

I have noticed that not all manuscripts of the N.T. are the same and I do not believe every translation from the Greek to English has been fully conveyed like those examples of Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37.

Thank you for sharing, brother.

Reactions: Nancy

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ4Me: "And only One Holy Spirit in us to teach us and not men. Just saying, I hoped you discerned with the Lord Jesus Christ everything you had been taught and especially when you translate because I have seen Greek scholars contend over the meaning of verses like John 6:63 & 2 Corinthians 3:6 That should prove to you that wisdom still has to come from the Lord, right?

The Bible becomes the Word of God for the believer only when its reading is made alive and applicable by the Holy Spirit.

C4M: "Did Origin said that is why he had changed the text? Not sure he can change all those manuscripts though but it is a valid question."

Origen was the bishop of Caesarea in Palestine in the early 200s and he went looking for the historical sites from the life of Jesus. The important point is that Origen wrote long before our earliest extant NT manuscript (apart from a few small papyrus fragments that are irrelevant to this issue) and Origen says these earlier manuscripts read "Bethay beyond the Jordan," not "Bethabara." Case settled and Enoch refuted!

The devastating point about Mark 16:17 says nothing about accidentally picking up a poisonous snake (as does Acts 28:1-4), but implies that this is a deliberate act to put God to the test: "They shall pick up serpents." The same is true of the poison-drinking.

Some Pentecostals make much of the identification of "new tongues" (16:17) as a sign of the true believer and that has prompted some to embrace the error that speaking in tongues is a necessary condition for salvation. That problem vanishes once it is recognized that Mark's KJV ending is bogus.

Christ4Me: "Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow."
But the series in 16:17 is intended as just such "signs." We are to heal the sick and cast out demons. In fact, Jesus identifies casting out demons by the Spirit of God as a sign that "the kingdom of God has come upon you (Luke 11:20)."

C4M: "I have noticed that not all manuscripts of the N.T. are the same"

Remember. there are 400,000 variant readings in these Greek manuscripts and the KJV is based and the latest and therefore the most erroneous manuscripts, though of course the earlier manuscripts also contain errors that need to be identified.

C4M: "and I do not believe every translation from the Greek to English has been fully conveyed like those examples of Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37."

Yes, the KJV contains translation errors, but those mistakes are minor compared to the corrup manuscripts that were the basis for this translation.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what I like about King James threads? The amazing display of brotherly love that, without fail, always ensues. :D

Having said that, here's my two cents' worth:

I was born and raised a Southern Baptist, and I learned to love the King James Version very early on (I still do, in fact). And I was taught and believed that all other translations were influenced by evil, usually credited directly to the devil (though I had no idea how or why).

Since becoming a studious Christian 32 years ago, I've read countless books on the subject (I've never been able to make it through a single chapter of any of Peter Ruckman's junk, tho) and I've come to a near epiphanic conclusion on the matter:

Textual criticism (at the very least, as practiced by information-age, armchair scholars) probably makes God laugh and cry both at the same time.

(Remember, now, this is just my two cents' worth.)

There are too many practical considerations that textual critics of today won't acknowledge practically.

How could someone believe that the Bible contains the mind of God? But this is practically what one would have to believe textual critics believe when they make so much of the human language God has been pleased to convey what He wants us to know about the Atonement provided by His Son.

Paul knew a man in Christ who was taken to Heaven and was permitted to to hear words that no man could utter and yet some folks down here carry on like medieval English is the native language up there. And even though there are treasures in the Bible that it will take the redeemed an eternity to mine, yet is still only that which belongs to us and to our children, which cannot compare to the secret things which belong to the LORD our God.

Well-meaning, conscientious people on both (or all, as the case may be) sides of the argument strain credulity in ways that the Bible itself never does, and I've yet to get any edifying information from any of the data and evidence presented on the issue.

And, worse yet, I've never heard tell of the fruits of this labor winning a single soul for Christ.

Not one.

God laughs... and cries. :D:(

Reactions: amadeus and Lambano

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you and your wife heal quickly from this point onwards.
May God's good ways shine upon you.
Thank you so much. Welcome to the forum! And, may I say, I feel certain you'll find CB to be a hospitable platform for your interests. :)

Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And only One Holy Spirit in us to teach us and not men. Just saying, I hoped you discerned with the Lord Jesus Christ everything you had been taught and especially when you translate because I have seen Greek scholars contend over the meaning of verses like John 6:63 & 2 Corinthians 3:6 That should prove to you that wisdom still has to come from the Lord, right?

1 John 2:20 But ye have an unction from the Holy One, and ye know all things. 21 I have not written unto you because ye know not the truth, but because ye know it, and that no lie is of the truth.

26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you. 27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him. 28 And now, little children, abide in him; that, when he shall appear, we may have confidence, and not be ashamed before him at his coming.

Interesting background information. Just so you know I believe the KJV can be better translated in some places in English like Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37 & Acts 12:4 as Tyndale was responsible for translating "pascha" as Passover first in the O.T. to be the same as Easter in the N.T.

Did Origin said that is why he had changed the text? Not sure he can change all those manuscripts though but it is a valid question.

Looking on the internet; I have fond this;

BETHABARA

""House of the ford, a place on the east bank of the Jordan, where" John was baptizing (John 1:28). It may be identical with "Bethbarah, the ancient ford of Jordan of which the men of" Ephraim took possession (Judg. 7:24). The Revised Version reads "Bethany beyond Jordan. It was the great ford, and still bears" "the name of "the ford," Makhadhet `Abarah, "the ford of crossing" "over," about 25 miles from Nazareth. (See [61]BETHBARAH.)"

So I went to Bible Gateway and compared the KJV with the ESV of John 1:28 wit Judges 7:24

John 1:28;Judges 7:24 KJV;ESV - These things were done in Bethabara - Bible Gateway

Both KJV & ESV of Judges 7:24 refers to Bethbarah so God be willing, I reckon you & I need to investigate this more so by that reference to Origin.

I am not sure if any message has been changed that would lead a believer astray if that be the case except for that last one.

You should make a thread on that Mark 16:17 alone since some Pentecostals/ Charismatics actually risks their lives and a few have died doing that. Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow believers like it did to Paul.

Acts 28:1And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita. 2 And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold. 3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. 5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm. 6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

Just sharing an example for why saved believers should not be following signs or seeking after the Holy Spirit for a sign when signs follow them and it is still for the unbelievers; not for the believers as proof of anything.

I have noticed that not all manuscripts of the N.T. are the same and I do not believe every translation from the Greek to English has been fully conveyed like those examples of Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37.

Thank you for sharing, brother.

Hello Christ4Me,

I enjoyed your post!

"You should make a thread on that Mark 16:17 alone since some Pentecostals/ Charismatics actually risks their lives and a few have died doing that. Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow believers like it did to Paul."

So perfectly and logically put. My personal take on these particular signs, the poison and venomous snakes, was definitely for unbelievers but also, to keep them all safe, those He sent out. There many who hated them (as they did Jesus) and could possibly pretend to be a Christ follower, invite them in their homes or wherever and give them something poisoned to drink, seems reasonable. How simple would it have been for satan to have stopped the gospel in it's tracks? God protected the trailblazers! Opened the Red Sea, and gave many a victory over Israel, and He did it again with His disciples.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Christ4Me,

I enjoyed your post!

"You should make a thread on that Mark 16:17 alone since some Pentecostals/ Charismatics actually risks their lives and a few have died doing that. Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow believers like it did to Paul."

So perfectly and logically put. My personal take on these particular signs, the poison and venomous snakes, was definitely for unbelievers but also, to keep them all safe, those He sent out. There many who hated them (as they did Jesus) and could possibly pretend to be a Christ follower, invite them in their homes or wherever and give them something poisoned to drink, seems reasonable. How simple would it have been for satan to have stopped the gospel in it's tracks? God protected the trailblazers! Opened the Red Sea, and gave many a victory over Israel, and He did it again with His disciples.

But why would Jesus identify bizarre phenomena like poison-drinking and snake-handling as "signs" of the true believer in His only statement in Mark's only resurrection appearance, when He might have mentioned transformational signs like ,say, the fruit of the Spirit, a Spirit-led life or Spirit-anointed preaching? The way it's worded, Mark 16:17 makes Jesus sound like a kook! So when we consider the evidence that Mark 16-9-20 was added later, the inauthenticity of 16:17 becomes apparent.

Most modern Bible scholars consider these 3 points decisive for the ending's inauthenticity:
(1) Mark 16:9-20 is missing from some early NT manuscripts. The best explanation of this is that scribes were offended by the depressing ending of Mark: "But they told no one because they were afraid (16:8).
(2) Bible scholars recognize that the literary style and unique Greek vocabulary betrays a different hand from Mark.
(3) One ancient manuscript actually identifies the forger as Aristo of Pella (c. 165 AD). Pella was the place to which the Jerusalem church fled in the early 60s AD, when Roman armies were closing in on Jerusalem. So Pella becomes a center for Jewish Christian outreach and for collecting early Gospel materials. Too bad Aristo felt the need to forge Mark's ending.

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Christ4Me: "And only One Holy Spirit in us to teach us and not men. Just saying, I hoped you discerned with the Lord Jesus Christ everything you had been taught and especially when you translate because I have seen Greek scholars contend over the meaning of verses like John 6:63 & 2 Corinthians 3:6 That should prove to you that wisdom still has to come from the Lord, right?

Berserk: The Bible becomes the Word of God for the believer only when its reading is made alive and applicable by the Holy Spirit.[/QUOTE]

C4M: Basically the Lord confirms the written word in the KJV for me to know the truth of His messages for me to abide in Him as His disciples.
~~~~
C4M: "Did Origin said that is why he had changed the text? Not sure he can change all those manuscripts though but it is a valid question."

Berserk: Origen was the bishop of Caesarea in Palestine in the early 200s and he went looking for the historical sites from the life of Jesus. The important point is that Origen wrote long before our earliest extant NT manuscript (apart from a few small papyrus fragments that are irrelevant to this issue) and Origen says these earlier manuscripts read "Bethay beyond the Jordan," not "Bethabara." Case settled and Enoch refuted!

C4M: No. That part about when the earliest manuscripts was written is an assumption by historical scholars. Paul gave an account of the apostle John and the Book of Revelation which had happened 14 years before Paul had written the second epistle to the Corinthians.

2 Corinthians 12:1It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord. 2 I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven. 3 And I knew such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) 4 How that he was caught up into paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.
~~~~~~~~~
Berserk: The devastating point about Mark 16:17 says nothing about accidentally picking up a poisonous snake (as does Acts 28:1-4), but implies that this is a deliberate act to put God to the test: "They shall pick up serpents." The same is true of the poison-drinking.

Berserk: Some Pentecostals make much of the identification of "new tongues" (16:17) as a sign of the true believer and that has prompted some to embrace the error that speaking in tongues is a necessary condition for salvation. That problem vanishes once it is recognized that Mark's KJV ending is bogus.

C4M : Like I said; I think you should start a thread on that to prevent Pentecostals & Charismatics from doing that. Expose it as fraudulent. I am however, not convinced yet.
~~~~~~~~
Christ4Me: "Another example that signs are not for believers to follow but those signs follow."

Berserk: But the series in 16:17 is intended as just such "signs." We are to heal the sick and cast out demons. In fact, Jesus identifies casting out demons by the Spirit of God as a sign that "the kingdom of God has come upon you (Luke 11:20)."

C4M: Now you have me confused. Either you believe it to be some bogus addition that could get Christians killed and it has, or you are saying it is legit.

~~~~~~~

C4M: "I have noticed that not all manuscripts of the N.T. are the same"

Berserk: Remember. there are 400,000 variant readings in these Greek manuscripts and the KJV is based and the latest and therefore the most erroneous manuscripts, though of course the earlier manuscripts also contain errors that need to be identified.

C4M The manuscripts from the Alexandrian area are more than circumspect being a hot bed for poetic licensing and Gnosticism. So you will pardon me if I go with the ones from Antioch where the disciples studied the word of God for a year;

Acts 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. KJV

~~~~~~~

C4M: "and I do not believe every translation from the Greek to English has been fully conveyed like those examples of Revelation 3:5 & Luke 17:37."

Berserk: Yes, the KJV contains translation errors, but those mistakes are minor compared to the corrupt manuscripts that were the basis for this translation.

C4M: The KJV does not have corrupt manuscripts. I did not say the KJV contain translation errors but that the message can be better translated in English in regards to Revelation 3:5 where it is a double negative meaning He would never remove any body's name out of the Book of Life thus proving OSAS with verse 39 in John 6:37-40

C4M: And in how Luke 17:37 can be translated better is where the Greek word "sunago" is how those gathered are being received with hospitality to resort in to be entertained and the Greek word "aetos" is wing like flight for how they translated that into eagles in English.

C4M: So switching that body with corpse and eagles with vultures would not have been done in modern Bibles if they all paid attention to that Greek word "sunago" because it is not the bad guys being removed from the earth, but the believers in meeting Christ in the air. Luke 17:26-37

Christ4Me

Jan 6, 2022
Pennsylvania / Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Christ4Me,

I enjoyed your post!

Thank you for sharing. It is good to see the Lord is still having me here in using me here. I give Him all the credit & glory.

1 Corinthians 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom ye believed, even as the Lord gave to every man? 6 I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase. 7 So then neither is he that planteth any thing, neither he that watereth; but God that giveth the increase.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
(.

Typical of a deceptive person, who is pretending to be an authority, you are stating claims as if they are true.
No evidence is presented, just the stated claims. And if i push you for evidence, you'll list "scholarship evidence", as if there isn't the same amount of this on the other side of your argument.

The reality is, you would try to instill DOUBT about a bible version, based on what some would argue, but other's would not.

Look at your #(1)..You say the earliest and best known manuscripts prove.......... and Yet the Authorized is created from many of exactly these..
And you can never prove that just because something is an "earlier manuscript", that makes it better....yet that is your argument..which is a fail.
See, "eariler" does not mean its better or more accurate......its just means it an older copy...nothing more.

And again you state something isnt true in your #(2) ""And do you really think that the risen Lord would identify "poison-drinking and snake-handling"""

And your evidence is that you say something is "invented".
Well, what you are saying is "invented", as you inventing it.

And its apparent that you've never studied a bible, as you said something ignorant about "snake handling", when in fact Paul was bitten by a Viper, and it had no effect....So Mark, 16:17......is a prophecy, that Paul fulfilled, deceiver.

So, your ignorance of the bible, of the context of words in the NT , is already proven by you, and no amount of cut and paste devilment that you can post here, is going to work.

And let me guess.......lets see if im right.....you are water baptized, and think you are become a Christian?
Is that true?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
This is something a friend on FB shared. I knew there was a difference between the 2 different versions but did not realize there were this many. The KJV is my go to as it is what I started on and seem to remember verses better in the language of old English.

"ANSWERING KJV ONLY PEOPLE
Consider this to start with; if one must have all the words of the original and only the words of the original, in one book, to be able to call that book the word of God, what shall we say to the fact that not only do no two hand-written Greek or Hebrew manuscripts agree with each other 100% (including no two editions of the Textus Receptus), no two editions of the King James Version agree perfectly either? The first edition of the KJV appeared in 1611. However, the KJV used widely today is the 1769 Benjamin Blayney revision. The fact is, unless your KJV contains the Apocrypha and spells Jew as ‘Iewe’ and cattle as ‘cattell’, you do not have a 1611 KJV! As for the italics, in Matthew’s Gospel alone, the 1769 KJV has 315 more uses of italics than the 1611 edition. Did you know that the 1769 KJV differs from the 1611 edition in a total of 75,000 details, 421 of which are noticeable to the ear when read aloud? It is true that most of these involve adjustments to archaic spelling, the correction of printing errors and the more regular use of italics — and about 72% of the noticeable textual changes had been made by 1638, only 27 years after the KJV was first published. However, the following are examples of corrections that were not made until 1762, over 150 years after the KJV was first published. These do not involve corrections of spelling or printing errors
Whew! It's good thing my translation of 'how ya goin' mate' is taken as a general greeting and not an interrogation. :p:)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But why would Jesus identify bizarre phenomena like poison-drinking and snake-handling as "signs" of the true believer in His only statement in Mark's only resurrection appearance, when He might have mentioned transformational signs like ,say, the fruit of the Spirit, a Spirit-led life or Spirit-anointed preaching? The way it's worded, Mark 16:17 makes Jesus sound like a kook! So when we consider the evidence that Mark 16-9-20 was added later, the inauthenticity of 16:17 becomes apparent.

Most modern Bible scholars consider these 3 points decisive for the ending's inauthenticity:
(1) Mark 16:9-20 is missing from some early NT manuscripts. The best explanation of this is that scribes were offended by the depressing ending of Mark: "But they told no one because they were afraid (16:8).
(2) Bible scholars recognize that the literary style and unique Greek vocabulary betrays a different hand from Mark.
(3) One ancient manuscript actually identifies the forger as Aristo of Pella (c. 165 AD). Pella was the place to which the Jerusalem church fled in the early 60s AD, when Roman armies were closing in on Jerusalem. So Pella becomes a center for Jewish Christian outreach and for collecting early Gospel materials. Too bad Aristo felt the need to forge Mark's ending.

Well, since we really do not know for sure, we better be very cautious. It does align with other scripture though.

Luke 10:19-20
"Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Nevertheless do not rejoice in this, that the spirits are subject to you, but rather rejoice because your names are written in heaven."

The laying on of hands to heal the sick:

Mark 8:25
"Then again He laid His hands on his eyes; and he looked intently and was restored, and began to see everything clearly."

Luke 4:40
"While the sun was setting, all those who had any who were sick with various diseases brought them to Him; and laying His hands on each one of them, He was healing them."

Several more too.

I'm not too concerned here as, He has brought myself and many I know, to where we should be to be right with Him.

Reactions: BarneyFife