More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Um. I'm not exactly sure how to say this, and I most certainly don't wish to hurt your feelings; never that. But...honestly, I'm just not sure why you keep tagging me into this thread. I think I've said more on tattoos etc than I've ever really had thought on, ever, and I'm honestly not sure what else to say. :oops:
You remind me now of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus: "Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one remains silent." :)

(I'll try to remember...)

Reactions: Naomi25

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't really have a spiritual problem with tattoos as an art form
When the Christian commissioner and recipient of a faith based design in an aesthetically pleasing style receives the inking, s/he may well derive both spiritual encouragement - to think that it will likely be used in witness - and a sense of aesthetic achievement.

Women have an especially well honed aesthetic sense; and since 59%-70% or more of parlor clients in North America are women, then for Christian women especially to receive aesthetically pleasing and faith based tattoo designs, it likely involves — over and over again — living through a particular sense of joy (and even ecstasy).

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the Christian commissioner and recipient of a faith based design in an aesthetically pleasing style receives the inking, s/he may well derive both spiritual encouragement - to think that it will likely be used in witness - and a sense of aesthetic achievement.
I find that to be a little idealistic for a "working" tattoo parlor.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Idealistic maybe; at it would apply more to individual perceptions — especially to the recipient — rather than to a working parlor, which is, of course, a business; I take your point, yes.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Holy Spirit has never condemned me in that process. He just throws a spotlight on the part that's off and it's usually all that I need.

*Some of my pieces get criticized for being form-fitting, especially with female figures.
I'll bet that some ppl "moralize" against your artwork - even as their daughters and granddaughters go to the beach in attire that is more revealing than what your artwork shows...

I guess more generally one can say that things such as tattoos, beachwear, etc., are part of life, and different Christians will find their own levels as to how they are convicted or not, as the case may be. I guess the same principle would apply to tattoo parlor workers (if this makes sense?)

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess the same principle would apply to tattoo parlor workers (if this makes sense?)
It applies to all Christians everywhere, but someone who is undergoing sanctification (or not) is easy to spot. And Jesus told us to be fruit inspectors [Matthew 7:18]. I believe in grace for ignorant (but saved) Christians --I know that I need it-- but I expect to see improvement as we converge on Christ-likeness [1 John 3:2].

And having grace doesn't mean that what we are doing is particularly good or edifying. It is just God suspending judgment as He does a work in our hearts. Grace covers sins. It doesn't endorse them. And there are still natural consequences to them. So much of deliverance is borne out of someone just dabbling in the occult, for example.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It applies to all Christians everywhere, but someone who is undergoing sanctification (or not) is easy to spot. And Jesus told us to be fruit inspectors [Matthew 7:18]. I believe in grace for ignorant (but saved) Christians --I know that I need it-- but I expect to see improvement as we converge on Christ-likeness [1 John 3:2].

And having grace doesn't mean that what we are doing is particularly good or edifying. It is just God suspending judgment as He does a work in our hearts. Grace covers sins. It doesn't endorse them. And there are still natural consequences to them. So much of deliverance is borne out of someone just dabbling in the occult, for example.
Obviously one would want to avoid the occult like the plague, so to speak.

Thanks for your comments. Sanctification is indeed a very important subject for the believer, theoretically and practically.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I did a woman soldier for my daughter, but I was going for a Schwarzenegger-like breastplate in my avatar (see beard).
So is the woman soldier that you mention the one in your avatar?

With so many women in the military, and with military spouses being particularly present among the demographics of the tattooed, yet some ppl still think of tattoos as supposedly all male phenomenon, don't they?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is the woman soldier that you mention the one in your avatar?
No. The Trumpeter is the only female soldier that I have on-line. My avatar has a bulked-up man-pec breastplate.

full

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: I suppose the design of the breastplates which you have uploaded would also be describable as in some ways idealistic.

I guess there will always be a combined element of the idealistic and aesthetic with the practical; and the same may be true of tattoo parlors and those who work there, right?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess there will always be a combined element of the idealistic and aesthetic with the practical; and the same may be true of tattoo parlors and those who work there, right?
My earlier use of "idealistic" wasn't in the sense of being highly embellished (which is common in art and can be benign). It was in the sense of believing that a Christian tattoo artist could open a parlor and stay in business while doing only benign or Christian designs. The bulk of tattoo demand is much darker.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My earlier use of "idealistic" wasn't in the sense of being highly embellished (which is common in art and can be benign). It was in the sense of believing that a Christian tattoo artist could open a parlor and stay in business while doing only benign or Christian designs. The bulk of tattoo demand is much darker.
I do take your point to an extent; I guess also that for some ppl for whom being a tattoo artist is a second job, they can sometimes take commissions from particular clients and work at their own pace; in theory, anyway.

Reactions: Sabertooth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... every place that I have seen has included occultic images in its gallery, even for a Christian tattoo artist that I know. (It seems to be a staple in the business.)
I guess this could also be looked at the other way: Would not a lot of the Christians who use tattoo services find it good to go to a parlor where the atmosphere is clearly Christian?

I guess I'm looking at this aspirationally; there are also the practicalities from other perspectives.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think just about everyone I see on a daily basis has, at the very least one tattoo. I do not see anything wrong with it ...
PS:

I think really to put it precisely, it's not that having it done is what people "are expected to do".

More likely, it's simply what people "expect to do", so often.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Waiting on him So do you think she has gotten more accustomed to the idea of your daughter in theory doing tattoos for a living? (I don't think @VictoryinJesus has posted on this thread yet...)

Farouk, only haven’t responded for not giving much thought to it. Our daughter’s tattoos do not bother me...what bothers me more is why when she is hurt by life circumstances she changes her hair color in a dramatic way or gets a new tattoo. She is an artist and I support her art in only recently she set up at a art and craft show to sell her creations. Was so happy for her interaction and maturity shown in connecting with others of all diversity. That is what I noticed most about her growth into a young woman and mother during those days...how anyone regardless of their interest could connect with her...and her openness to accept and engage in all conversation rather it be talking with a young gamers about comic-con or older couple where their topic interests were completely different. so happy for her. I only don’t encourage or overreact over her tattoos in they could cover her. As in where is the end...which would be the only reason I have for not urging her into being a tattoo artist; realizing she may be coming home with a new one everyday. But yeah, I would still support her and wouldn’t let what returns to dust define who she is...as I see much more in her than what is outward.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk, only haven’t responded for not giving much thought to it. Our daughter’s tattoos do not bother me...what bothers me more is why when she is hurt by life circumstances she changes her hair color in a dramatic way or gets a new tattoo. She is an artist and I support her art in only recently she set up at a art and craft show to sell her creations. Was so happy for her interaction and maturity shown in connecting with others of all diversity. That is what I noticed most about her growth into a young woman and mother during those days...how anyone regardless of their interest could connect with her...and her openness to accept and engage in all conversation rather it be talking with a young gamers about comic-con or older couple where their topic interests were completely different. so happy for her. I only don’t encourage or overreact over her tattoos in they could cover her. As in where is the end...which would be the only reason I have for not urging her into being a tattoo artist; realizing she may be coming home with a new one everyday. But yeah, I would still support her and wouldn’t let what returns to dust define who she is...as I see much more in her than what is outward.
@VictoryinJesus What a thoughtful and affectionate answer regarding your daughter! Thanks for posting! My wife is into arts and crafts somewhat also, although your daughter seems to have an especially creative flair, which you encourage. I'm sure you and dh continue to pray for her. Seems also that she has a knack of relating to ppl and putting them at their ease (I wish more ppl in church had that quality, sometimes.) As regards tattoos; well, it's what women do now, so often (it used to be almost exclusively a man thing years ago, but it's now a very womanly thing). Hence also the sheer demand for tattoo services, of which it seems your daughter has to some extent weighing the possibilities, in terms of her artistic flair.

Did you see / vote in the poll, above, BTW?

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Peacebewithoyou said:
I WISH the worst thing I've ever done was get a tattoo. ...OK - this is the Mom in me talking ... DON'T GET ONE!!!!!
@Peacebewithoyou Okay! so you don't like the idea of ppl getting tattooed; and you're a Mom; AND you have a tattoo!

Okay... :)