More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't have a theological problem with a benign or Godly tattoo.
@Sabertooth Some people with a hyperconservative mindset from decades ago might have claimed supposedly that 'nice young ladies don't get tattooed'.

Whereas actually in fact rather widely today, just with as earnest young men in the military nailing their colours to the mast - so to speak - by getting ink with something faith based/patriotic, so also using a tattoo parlor for faith based ink is exactly the sort of thing a Christian young lady wishing to witness to their friends, homeschooling moms, etc. are likely to receive.

B

brakelite

guess a Christian artist would expect to do a lot of ink at that placement, anyway.
The small of the back seems to negate the the whole professed reason for being tattooed... As a witness.... Unless of course parading half naked about is a part of that witness as well.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The small of the back seems to negate the the whole professed reason for being tattooed... As a witness.... Unless of course parading half naked about is a part of that witness as well.
@brakelite
My comment was partly driven by the fact that @CharismaticLady had remarked that it is a popular placement; also, @GodsGrace mentioned previously:

GodsGrace said:
I was at the beach area the other day, and girls are full of tattoos.
I never noticed so many before, and I would have noticed.
Some were pretty big too...on the back..

A while ago I read about a Hollywood producer who wanted to depict in a movie a typical beach scene from the 1950s, and was looking for film extras for the scene.

He couldn't do it because he couldn't find enough young women without tattoos.

I think it just has to be admitted that it's what people do now, especially young women; and to be admitted also that many young Christians, instead of fighting it, instead embrace the ink medium and try to get God glorifying, witness friendly inkings.

I do agree that arm - foot area - might be a preferable placement for a witness tattoo design.

B

brakelite

I am sure God is positively influenced by the popularity of tattoos. Sort of like sun worship. So long as it's done with the intention of glorifying Jesus it's okay.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I am sure God is positively influenced by the popularity of tattoos. Sort of like sun worship. So long as it's done with the intention of glorifying Jesus it's okay.
The witness point of a faith based design is not its value inherently, but from a pragmatic perspective its effectiveness in provoking Bible reflection; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to undergo the ink injections.

B

brakelite

The witness point of a faith based design is not its value inherently, but from a pragmatic perspective its effectiveness in provoking Bible reflection; my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to undergo the ink injections.
No doubt it will lead to conversations. And a mindset that enables compromise. Little different to when as a backslidden Christian I would describe the gospel to my friends and talk about the coming of Jesus while sharing a joint.
God calls for His people to be without blemish and without spot. To forsake the things if this world and not go along with the crowd simply to be 'pragmatic". We are called to be a peculiar people. Different. Unique. To stand out from the crowd, not to blend in with it.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No doubt it will lead to conversations. And a mindset that enables compromise. Little different to when as a backslidden Christian I would describe the gospel to my friends and talk about the coming of Jesus while sharing a joint.
God calls for His people to be without blemish and without spot. To forsake the things if this world and not go along with the crowd simply to be 'pragmatic". We are called to be a peculiar people. Different. Unique. To stand out from the crowd, not to blend in with it.
Wouldn't you prefer the idea that some ppl might be willing to talk about the meaning of a faith based tattoo, where they might otherwise never consider the claims of Scripture?

The point is not the inherent value of a tattoo; rather, the pragmatic effectiveness of a faith tattoo with some audiences.

Hence also the point of the poll, as regards the potentials of work in tattoo art.

B

brakelite

Wouldn't you prefer the idea that some ppl might be willing to talk about the meaning of a faith based tattoo, where they might otherwise never consider the claims of Scripture?
No.
KJV 1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The Bible doesn't ever suggest we impress others with our appearance but with our character. Life is not about what who we are, but what we are.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My skepticism is not woman-specific. In the past, men were wrong (and hypocritical), on the one hand, to deny women the use of tobacco, but tobacco is bad for everybody concerned.
@Sabertooth So would you have a problem 1) with vaping? 2) with women vaping?, 3) with tattooed women vaping?

(I'm not suggesting you do have a problem; I guess it's all covered by Romans 14 Christian liberty.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No.
KJV 1 Timothy 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

The Bible doesn't ever suggest we impress others with our appearance but with our character. Life is not about what who we are, but what we are.
@brakelite
I do strong agree with your general observation and it's an excellent verse you quoted; some Christians would also say that for example a small, faith based tattoo (such as a Bible ref. or a Christian fish symbol <>< on a wrist, etc.) would be in keeping with principles of modesty.

B

brakelite

@brakelite
I do strong agree with your general observation and it's an excellent verse you quoted; some Christians would also say that for example a small, faith based tattoo (such as a Bible ref. or a Christian fish symbol <>< on a wrist, etc.) would be in keeping with principles of modesty.
And some non Christians would ask why do you use the occult systems of the world, those systems that I as an atheist pagan cleave to, to propagate your message?

Reactions: amadeus

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess it's all covered by Romans 14 Christian liberty.
...and 1 Corinthians 10:23.

(Why are you including "tattooed [people]" in this question? We should be past believing that I oppose tattoos, by now. Have I become a proxy for the "fundamentalists?")

Regarding vaping, "bad" doesn't always mean "soul-damning." It can mean
  • unedifying,
  • unhealthful,
  • injurious,
  • destructive, etc.
without ever threatening one's Salvation. I don't judge Christians who do those things, but they certainly make me (and God?) wince.

"If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death.
  • There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin,
  • and there is sin not leading to death." 1 John 5:16-17 NKJV
They are still Heaven-bound, but are in for an avoidable share of painful consequences along the way.

Last edited:
B

brakelite

We are told to glorify God in everything we do. To glorify God means to represent Him... To display the same character... To accurately portray Him in all that we think, do, and say. I will leave it up to the reader to decide if the Jesus we are called to imitate would tattoo Himself, (as opposed to the Father giving Him a new name); vape; attend heavy metal concerts; have a nose ring; dye His hair purple; smoke tobacco and drink beer, all of which the writer of this thread seems to espouse and encourage Christians to partake in as practices that are harmless, edifying to others, a glory to God, and appropriate as an example of Christian freedom.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
@brakelite
farouk, you might want to check out where that fish symbol you speak of came from.
The term sanctification applies to the inner workings of a man/woman and the inner workings are reflected in the outer workings, in other words what we speak of and how we present ie, clean, upright and without reproach with no compromise acceptable.

Taking on the fashions and habits of the world by justifying them as being a witness however you turn the matter is none other than kowtowing to a system that opposes the Gospel of Jesus and the Kingdom of God.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We are told to glorify God in everything we do. To glorify God means to represent Him... To display the same character... To accurately portray Him in all that we think, do, and say. I will leave it up to the reader to decide if the Jesus we are called to imitate would tattoo Himself, (as opposed to the Father giving Him a new name); vape; attend heavy metal concerts; have a nose ring; dye His hair purple; smoke tobacco and drink beer, all of which the writer of this thread seems to espouse and encourage Christians to partake in as practices that are harmless, edifying to others, a glory to God, and appropriate as an example of Christian freedom.
See Ezekiel 16.12; indeed avoid the occult.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...and 1 Corinthians 10:23.

(Why are you including "tattooed [people]" in this question? We should be past believing that I oppose tattoos, by now. Have I become a proxy for the "fundamentalists?")

Regarding vaping, "bad" doesn't always mean "soul-damning." It can mean
  • unedifying,
  • unhealthful,
  • injurious,
  • destructive, etc.
without ever threatening one's Salvation. I don't judge Christians who do those things, but they certainly make me (and God?) wince.

"If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death.
  • There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. All unrighteousness is sin,
  • and there is sin not leading to death." 1 John 5:16-17 NKJV
They are still Heaven-bound, but are in for an avoidable share of painful consequences along the way.
Thanks for your comments; and no I don't find you obscurantist in your views at all, but rather - if I may say so - refreshing. Blessings.

Reactions: Sabertooth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know the cost and they struggle with finances.
@OzSpen PS: They can be expensive, although it all hinges on the amount of time that the artist needs to spend on it.

This is why for Christians a small first faith based tattoo - such as a Christian fish symbol <>< or a Bible reference - John 3.16, etc. - inked on a wrist is often attractive as an inexpensive option; 18 year olds are often not flush with a lot of cash.