More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The Apostles and men like Saint Patrick were Counter Cultural. They went into a foreign land and worked to spread the Gospel. Over the process of that, they changed the culture of the nations.

In 1960, someone may say that there was Christian Culture in the US. Americans had prayer in school, and they were brought up singing Christmas songs and celebrating Easter. The Counter Culture of the 1960's was a rebellion. It was a rebellion of wives from husbands. Children from parents. Men from God to other spiritualism and gurus. The Counter Culture was influenced by Marx and Crowley. The Counter Culture was known for a sexual revolution and debauchery. In the 1970's, the Counter Culture running counter to God and Christianity, was mainstreamed. It became part of mainstream culture. Has that been what someone was participating in?

In the 1960's, only Sailors had tattoos? Sailors known for going shore to shore and joining themselves with prostitutes. Is there something spiritual to that in retrospect?
@Man on Fire
My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to be injected with ink in this design.

(So her ink was frankly nothing to do with prostitution.)

Man on Fire

Jul 10, 2018
Durham
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Man on Fire
My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to be injected with ink in this design.

(So her ink was frankly nothing to do with prostitution.)

I was more talking about culture, and societies shift to where tattoos suddenly became cool or accepted, and some people have seemed to have something in their psyche where they are addicted to having them, and those type of people, at times, also have drifted into trans-humanism, like having technological upgrades implanted. That shows a spirit or spirits.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. (Matthew 6:5)

Someone fasting on the side of the road may have wanted attention for their fasting. They received their reward? Don't do things to be seen. Christians should be as plain as John the Baptist.

Some men go to the gym to be seen. They would like to be seen there working out thinking it gets them attention, and makes them look better in the eyes of their peers. Some men go to the gym because they need to get a work out in, and they are intrinsically motivated. They do not need outside approval. They are not working to please man. In being at the gym, they may be stoic looking, and impressive, and they tend to inspire others.

At the least, an 18 year old, or so girl, looking to get a tattoo, may have been looking for attention in the wrong ways.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm pretty sure a lot of Christian islanders such as Samoans, Tongans, etc. and there are a lot of devoted Christians from those races and parts of the world and a lot of them get tattoos, and I think if those people get Christian tattoos, they are the more likely the type of people that would take it pretty seriously.
@Josho Yes, it's good to take getting seriously tattooed with Christian designs. You're right.

Do you know ppl who have evidently gotten it done seriously with Christian designs?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They should. It needs to be part of their business setup, too, or their scruples will be "thrown under a bus" along the way.
I guess it also depends on the level of training and certification by APP - the Association of Professional Piercers. A piercing option can enhance a tattoo parlor's business, without doubt.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think the symbolism of your trumpeter picture in your media section has its idealistic side?
You are taking the concept of "idealism" in a different direction than what I meant. All fictional superheroes are idealized forms. When real people engage in idealism, their expectations don't always mesh with their reality. That is important for real people. Fictional characters live in fictional contexts.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
You are taking the concept of "idealism" in a different direction than what I meant. All fictional superheroes are idealized forms. When real people engage in idealism, their expectations don't always mesh with their reality. That is important for real people. Fictional characters live in fictional contexts.
@Sabertooth I do take your point, yes; the term idealism can be used in very different ways.

When my wife and I talked to the young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area, I guess I retained as sense of her idealism having likely driven her inking - however exactly her idealism might be defined; I do take your point about it having various definitions.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I thought of adding specifics, but it really does look complete just like I have it.
@Mayflower There is a time in the design and the subsequent process of being pumped with ink when a strong and wholesome sense of completeness, of wholeness, emerges. A design can progressively unfold in one's mind in stages for the future; there does come a time when there is that 100% - done it - really is me - moment.

For artist and client there is a very meaningful partnership in reaching the vantage point of that moment, isn't there?

Last edited:

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@shnarkle Anyway what you describe would these days probably be regarded as fairly unobtrusive, mainstream, womanly acquisitions for them to have, don't you think?
I guess so. Tattoos are becoming ubiquitous. I've seen teenage girls with sleeves, and that was almost twenty years ago.

Reactions: farouk