Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because it is permanent it is a very personal thing to do. Lots of people in and around the Manchester area had the Manchester bee tattoos after the Manchester Arena bombing to show support for the victims and also to make a statement that they were proud to be Mancunians. I wonder how many now regret getting drawn in to that.
Sounds as if they need a preacher.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They can become addictive and grossly overdone. When my son got his first one it upset me but I accepted it and now he has four. We used to drink in the local pub with a guy whose face, head and neck were covered with them but he was good company and it's not my place to judge the choices other people make.
Thanks for your interesting comments.

Seems like you can on consideration accept a moderate element of tattooing.

Seems like, as opposed to your personal preference, you think it can in some ways make a man or a woman feel good as long as it's not driven by addictive impulse, right?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for your interesting comments.

Seems like you can on consideration accept a moderate element of tattooing.

Seems like, as opposed to your personal preference, you think it can in some ways make a man or a woman feel good as long as it's not driven by addictive impulse, right?
People have their own reasons for getting tattoos, and while I quite like some small discreet pretty ones I would never spend so much money on it. And to be honest I don't think they are particularly attractive. Plus the bible says not to do it.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What an opportunity, right? :)

Young Christians who get faith based tattoos, for example, are often convinced beforehand that they will be effective conversation-starters, if this makes sense?
But what about how the bible tells us not to put tattoos on our bodies?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But what about how the bible tells us not to put tattoos on our bodies?
The Leviticus passage also seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard. Do preachers shave? if they do, they are maybe at least backhandedly admitting that they are New Testament believers under grace, for whom the Gospel rather than the law is the rule of life, rather than Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (if this makes sense?)

The many young Christians in North America who receive faith based tattoos with a view to using them as conversation-starting witness tools would in all probability cite a New Testament Gospel perspective on their parlor trips.

Reactions: Pearl

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hopefully they do. And hopefully he's on his way.
Indeed, we trust so.

I'm sure also a lot of prayer goes up from young Christians with Bible verse/ faith based tattoos that they will indeed be used in blessing to those with whom they come into contact, whether in conversation or in silent witness.

(I hope this all makes some sense?)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The Leviticus passage also seems to say about not trimming the corners of one's beard. Do preachers shave? if they do, they are maybe at least backhandedly admitting that they are New Testament believers under grace, for whom the Gospel rather than the law is the rule of life, rather than Old Testament Jews in the land under the law (if this makes sense?)

The many young Christians in North America who receive faith based tattoos with a view to using them as conversation-starting witness tools would in all probability cite a New Testament Gospel perspective on their parlor trips.
Are there Christian tattoo parlours?

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
People have their own reasons for getting tattoos, and while I quite like some small discreet pretty ones I would never spend so much money on it.
I know you don't intend to do it, but you would be surprised at how cost-effective a small tattoo can be, when suitable quotes from parlor artists have been obtained.

This also is why for many young Christians ink seems to them to be a viable witness option that pays dividends, so to speak.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I know you don't intend to do it, but you would be surprised at how cost-effective a small tattoo can be, when suitable quotes from parlor artists have been obtained.

This also is why for many young Christians ink seems to them to be a viable witness option that pays dividends, so to speak.
Hypothetically speaking, I suppose if I did have a small 'religious' tattoo I would choose a cross and a dove together. I once had a pendant like that but it got stolen.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Are there Christian tattoo parlours?
A very good question; I think you would find living in North America very interesting, where there is often a different perspective on things in some ways among Christians, compared with the UK, probably.

As regards parlors, the ethos of a parlor depends on the person or people who work in them.

The OP's quote is a strong indication that there are many tattoo artists who cater for a significant Christian clientele; I'm sure you would agree with that extrapolation:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

I'm sure you would find it interesting if you even visited North America and maybe had the opportunity (maybe in the company of other Christian women) to visit some parlors - without obligation; this is what the portfolios are for, for ppl simply to consult. It's considered unethical for artists to do a hard sell on people who visit parlors purely for information purposes. I just think you'd find it interesting, anyway, to hear the perspective of other Christian women.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
A very good question; I think you would find living in North America very interesting, where there is often a different perspective on things in some ways among Christians, compared with the UK, probably.

As regards parlors, the ethos of a parlor depends on the person or people who work in them.

The OP's quote is a strong indication that there are many tattoo artists who cater for a significant Christian clientele; I'm sure you would agree with that extrapolation:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

I'm sure you would find it interesting if you even visited North America and maybe had the opportunity (maybe in the company of other Christian women) to visit some parlors - without obligation; this is what the portfolios are for, for ppl simply to consult. It's considered unethical for artists to do a hard sell on people who visit parlors purely for information purposes. I just think you'd find it interesting, anyway, to hear the perspective of other Christian women.
We have a tattoo parlour here in my town but judging from the window displays it's not somewhere I would go in.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
We have a tattoo parlour here in my town but judging from the window displays it's not somewhere I would go in.
Maybe then you would take the point that if the window display were in fact nicer you might indeed be inclined to go in to look at the portfolios non-committally?

This also perhaps shows that there is awareness in North America among tattoo artists of the very large clientele among Christians.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hypothetically speaking, I suppose if I did have a small 'religious' tattoo I would choose a cross and a dove together. I once had a pendant like that but it got stolen.
Sorry about the theft that happened to you.

Something like this, maybe (but maybe much smaller?)

e192bd1d3e03917b7ad8007d9ac90146--dove-tattoos-cross-tattoos.jpg
pinterest dot com

I guess it could be said that being willing to receive the ink injectings is not really about feeling good as an adult - as a woman - as much as it would in theory anyway be about strongly and clearly communicating what you stand for - what one stands for.

(In any case, maybe your son's motives would have been distinct.)

Last edited: