Truth About Satan

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Satan is depicted as reptilian.

Isa 27:1 In that day the LORD with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea.
Rev 12:9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceives the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Rev 20:1-2
(1) And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
(2) And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

Why is that, why is the arch-enemy of God depicted in the Bible as reptilian? I have wondered about this, and maybe others have too. Well, it traces of course back to Eden, and the first input of an adversarial nature to beset mankind, the first as it happens of many more such inputs into mankind's sentience. From Genesis to Revelation, from the first book to the last book of the Bible it is fitting that the adversarial nature of the Satan be personified in the cunning, writhing, slithery, subtle, cold-blooded scaly, serpent/dragon epithet.

And then there's the theology of why God lets Satan input mankind for so long with his reptilian adversarial nature...(to be continued)

Last edited:
Reactions: Nancy

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 28:13 "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Ezekiel 28:14 "Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezekiel 28:15 "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

PICJAG

D

Dave L

Ezekiel 28:13 "Thou hast been in Eden the garden of God; every precious stone was thy covering, the sardius, topaz, and the diamond, the beryl, the onyx, and the jasper, the sapphire, the emerald, and the carbuncle, and gold: the workmanship of thy tabrets and of thy pipes was prepared in thee in the day that thou wast created.

Ezekiel 28:14 "Thou art the anointed cherub that covereth; and I have set thee so: thou wast upon the holy mountain of God; thou hast walked up and down in the midst of the stones of fire.
Ezekiel 28:15 "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

PICJAG
This is not about Satan. It is about the king of Tyrus.

“Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.” (Ezekiel 28:11–12) (KJV 1900)

Reactions: FHII

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not about Satan. It is about the king of Tyrus.

“Moreover the word of the Lord came unto me, saying, Son of man, take up a lamentation upon the king of Tyrus, and say unto him, Thus saith the Lord God; Thou sealest up the sum, full of wisdom, and perfect in beauty.” (Ezekiel 28:11–12) (KJV 1900)
ERROR the king of Tyrus was never in the Garden of Eden

lol....lol. metaphor, metaphor, metaphor, when will they learn.

my, my, my

D

Dave L

ERROR the king of Tyrus was never in the Garden of Eden

lol....lol. metaphor, metaphor, metaphor, when will they learn.

my, my, my
This is metaphor. Because in the end God reduces the King of Tyre to ashes. Satan is spirit = no ashes.

“Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.” (Ezekiel 28:18) (KJV 1900)

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is metaphor. Because in the end God reduces the King of Tyre to ashes. Satan is spirit = no ashes.

“Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick; therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.” (Ezekiel 28:18) (KJV 1900)
First ERROR, Hebrews 1:7 "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire". are you a flame of fire dave? .... nope, even speaking metaphorically. they are a creation, not immortal. listen, Ezekiel 28:15 "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

you don't know nothing do you?.

ashes is to show one to be abhor, frailty, useless, hence destroyed. he been reduce to "NOTHING", just like the king of Tyre.

PICJAG.

D

Dave L

First ERROR, Hebrews 1:7 "And of the angels he saith, Who maketh his angels spirits, and his ministers a flame of fire". are you a flame of fire dave? .... nope, even speaking metaphorically. they are a creation, not immortal. listen, Ezekiel 28:15 "Thou wast perfect in thy ways from the day that thou wast created, till iniquity was found in thee.

you don't know nothing do you?.

ashes is to show one to be abhor, frailty, useless, hence destroyed. he been reduce to "NOTHING", just like the king of Tyre.

PICJAG.
But this passage is about the King of Tyre. If it was about Satan, it would say so. You are twisting scripture again to fit an agenda.

Reactions: FHII

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

PICJAG

I was always told that it was Adam.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Interesting. Satan is Spirit= no ashes. So I ask how this applies to “I will give beauty for ashes.”

Isaiah 61:1-3
[1] The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; [2] To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord , and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; [3] To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord , that he might be glorified.

Glorified bodies for ashes? Out of the furnace of affliction?

D

Dave L

Interesting. Satan is Spirit= no ashes. So I ask how this applies to “I will give beauty for ashes.”

Isaiah 61:1-3
[1] The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; [2] To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord , and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; [3] To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord , that he might be glorified.

Glorified bodies for ashes?
Ezekiel addresses it to the King of Tyre, not Satan. Calling him Satan is nothing more than reverse engineering a passage to fit an agenda.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel addresses it to the King of Tyre, not Satan. Calling him Satan is nothing more than reverse engineering a passage to fit an agenda.

No. That is not what I meant to ask. I meant if Satan is spirit which as you pointed out equals no ashes. Then is what is spoken of there is flesh(not spirit) which, would you say equals ashes?

D

Dave L

No. That is not what I meant to ask. I meant if Satan is spirit which as you pointed out equals no ashes. Then is what is spoken of there is flesh(not spirit) which, would you say equals ashes?
I'm just saying the passage is about the King of Tyre and not Satan.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm just saying the passage is about the King of Tyre and not Satan.

Ok. I would agree.

Job 26:13
[13] By his spirit he hath garnished the heavens; his hand hath formed the crooked serpent.

Is this Satan?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not necessarily.

What do you mean? Is it or is it not? Or do you mean it is a body of more than one, which share one mind?

Isaiah 27:1-5
[1] In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea. [2] In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine. [3] I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day. [4] Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together. [5] Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

D

Dave L

What do you mean? Is it or is it not? Or do you mean it is a body of more than one, which share one mind?

Isaiah 27:1-5
[1] In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in the sea. [2] In that day sing ye unto her, A vineyard of red wine. [3] I the Lord do keep it; I will water it every moment: lest any hurt it, I will keep it night and day. [4] Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together. [5] Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.
It seems metaphoric and not literal.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the context allows for it....why not?

See a crooked path? Mark 1:3
[3] The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

God tells who made it crooked. “Consider the work of God” ...”Who can make straight, that which he made crooked?”

Ecclesiastes 1:14-15 I have seen all the works that are done under the sun; and, behold, all is vanity and vexation of spirit. [15] That which is crooked cannot be made straight: and that which is wanting cannot be numbered.

Isaiah 45:2-7
[2] I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron: [3] And I will give thee the treasures of darkness, and hidden riches of secret places, that thou mayest know that I, the Lord , which call thee by thy name, am the God of Israel. [4] For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me. [5] I am the Lord , and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me: [6] That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the Lord , and there is none else. [7] I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things .

Reactions: Dave L

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quite a many verses but necessary to share why we should consider what the word says concerning satan and the leviathan. Job 41:33-34Upon earth there is not his like, who is made without fear. [34] He beholdeth all high things : he is a king over all the children of pride.

Fully displayed in (Hebrews 1:3) is the one they mocked and ridiculed calling Him king of the Jews and that he should come down in his power and save himself. He IS our King who was a quick study and learned obedience to the Father through the things he suffered. Anyone that insist pride upon him and his full display of love for the world(the people)..maybe have missed the bightness of his glory and what we are clearly told are the fruits of the Spirit which are devoid of ‘pride’ but foster something entirely new.

God speaking of the leviathan: Job 41:11-14
[11] Who hath prevented me, that I should repay him? whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine. [12] I will not conceal his parts, nor his power, nor his comely proportion. [13] Who can discover the face of his garment? or who can come to him with his double bridle? [14] Who can open the doors of his face? his teeth are terrible round about.

Which gives an answer to Romans 9:19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will? —“who has prevented me...whatsoever is under the whole heaven is mine.”

A few more interesting verses in connection to the leviathan: the king of the children of pride. Commonalities they share: a heart of stone. Job 41:24-25 His heart is as firm as a stone; yea, as hard as a piece of the nether millstone . [25] When he raiseth up himself, the mighty are afraid: by reason of breakings they purify themselves.

Ezekiel 11:19
[19] And I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them an heart of flesh:

Revelation 18:21
[21] And a mighty angel took up a stone like a great millstone, and cast it into the sea, saying, Thus with violence shall that great city Babylon be thrown down, and shall be found no more at all.

Consider the image in Daniel. All the kingdoms that are thrown down. What does God tell us He can do to pride and the children of it? Daniel 4:37
[37] Now I Nebuchadnezzar praise and extol and honour the King of heaven, all whose works are truth, and his ways judgment: and those that walk in pride he is able to abase.

James 4:6-7
[6] But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble. [7] Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

the humble who inherits the earth. Understandably God told Paul His grace was sufficent so that by all the Revelations Paul would not be lifted above measure—that measure being Our King.

1 Peter 5:5-6
[5] Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble. [6] Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:—abase...those that walk in pride

Psalm 74:12-16
[12] For God is my King of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth. [13] Thou didst divide the sea by thy strength: thou brakest the heads of the dragons in the waters. [14] Thou brakest the heads of leviathan in pieces, and gavest him to be meat to the people inhabiting the wilderness. [15] Thou didst cleave the fountain and the flood: thou driedst up mighty rivers. [16] The day is thine, the night also is thine: thou hast prepared the light and the sun.

Psalm 110:5-6
[5] The Lord at thy right hand shall strike through kings in the day of his wrath. [6] He shall judge among the heathen, he shall fill the places with the dead bodies; he shall wound the heads over many countries.

the image in Daniel comes down. Broken to pieces. No way around it. But that doesn’t mean God can not abase pride and make that which is crooked straight. He did it with Paul.

The goodnews: Ephesians 2:8-10
[8] For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: [9] Not of works, lest any man should boast. [10] For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

He is King.
Scary that ‘election’ as become not what God does so no man can boast ...to a reason for boasting. As if we had anything to do with it. James 4:16 But now ye rejoice in your boastings: all such rejoicing is evil.

Last edited: