Understanding Daniel 9 and why the 70 years and 490 Years

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Just The Facts

Oct 23, 2008
HiIn Daniel 9: first we need to understand what Daniel is asking and what he wants to get an answer for.2: In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolation of Jerusalem. So the first question is why is it 70 years of punishment for Jerusalem?The Answer is the Covenant and the Blessings and Curse in Leviticus.The Covenant is messiah being born of the tribe of Judah and the land going to the House of Israel.Now the Covenant had terms and one of those terms was Sabbath year rest for the land. The Hebrews violated this part of the covenant for 70 Sabbath.So the punishment is 70 years of Rest for the land we read this in Leviticus 26:[34] Then shall the land enjoy her sabbaths, as long as it lieth desolate, and ye be in your enemies' land; even then shall the land rest, and enjoy her sabbaths.[35] As long as it lieth desolate it shall rest; because it did not rest in your sabbaths, when ye dwelt upon it.So they are dragged away and the land enjoys her Sabbaths In Daniel 9 we see Daniel state this.[11] Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.BUT what must they do in captivity to honour their end of the Covenant.[40] If they shall confess their iniquity, and the iniquity of their fathers, with their trespass which they trespassed against me, and that also they have walked contrary unto me;[41] And that I also have walked contrary unto them, and have brought them into the land of their enemies; if then their uncircumcised hearts be humbled, and they then accept of the punishment of their iniquity:[42] Then will I remember my covenant with Jacob, and also my covenant with Isaac, and also my covenant with Abraham will I remember; and I will remember the land.So do they honour their end of the bargain while in captivity.[7] Therefore at that time, when all the people heard the sound of the cornet, flute, harp, sackbut, psaltery, and all kinds of musick, all the people, the nations, and the languages, fell down and worshipped the golden image that Nebuchadnezzar the king had set up.In Fact only three Jews refused to bow down and worship the image. So they did not repent they do not honour the covenant………………..So what happens if they do not Honour the covenant when in Captivity. Leviticus 26 yells us[17] And I will set my face against you, and ye shall be slain before your enemies: they that hate you shall reign over you; and ye shall flee when none pursueth you. [18] And if ye will not yet for all this hearken unto me, then I will punish you seven times more for your sins.So there it is if they fail to repent then they will be punished seven times more beyond the original punishment.So original punishment is 70 years X 7 = 490 years of more punishment before the Covenant can be fulfilled.So now what is Daniel Asking in Daniel 9 what does he want to Well he wants to know what everyone wants to know. Has God forgot the Covenant or just when will the Covenant be fulfilled.Jer 33:[24] Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which the LORD hath chosen, he hath even cast them off? thus they have despised my people, that they should be no more a nation before them.[25] Thus saith the LORD; If my covenant be not with day and night, and if I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth;[26] Then will I cast away the seed of Jacob, and David my servant, so that I will not take any of his seed to be rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.So that is the question that the people are asking. Now Daniel knows the 70 years Of Jeremiah are almost over.[2] In the first year of his reign I Daniel understood by books the number of the years, whereof the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah the prophet, that he would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.[3] And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplication, with fasting, and sackcloth, and ashes:[4] And I prayed unto the LORD my God, and made my confession, and said, O Lord, the great and dreadful God, keeping the covenant and mercy to them that love him, and to them that keep his commandments;[11] Yea, all Israel have transgressed thy law, even by departing, that they might not obey thy voice; therefore the curse is poured upon us, and the oath that is written in the law of Moses the servant of God, because we have sinned against him.[12] And he hath confirmed his words, which he spake against us, and against our judges that judged us, by bringing upon us a great evil: for under the whole heaven hath not been done as hath been done upon Jerusalem..........................[18] O my God, incline thine ear, and hear; open thine eyes, and behold our desolations, and the city which is called by thy name: for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies.[19] O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.Daniel Fulfills the Covenant begs forgiveness and admits the peoples sins and in so asks when the Covenant will be fulfilled.[23] At the beginning of thy supplications the commandment came forth, and I am come to shew thee; for thou art greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, and consider the vision.So now that we understand WHAT the Covenant was .............................WHY the Punishment was 70 Years.......................... and WHAT the question on Daniel's and everyone else's mind is.................we Have what we need to Understand the Answer IN THE CONTEXT of the WHAT'S and WHY'S.[24] Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, to finish the transgression, and to make an end of sins, and to make reconciliation for iniquity, and to bring in everlasting righteousness, and to seal up the vision and prophecy, and to anoint the most Holy.So Daniel is told it is 490 years of more punishment. Look at this verse in Context ..............490 years Upon the people and the City (70 X 7 = 490 terms of the Curse)............To finish the Transgression (THAT IS THEIR TRANSGRESSION)..............To make and end of sins (THEIR SINS).............TO MAKE RECONCILIATION (under the terms of the covenant) to bring in everlasting Righteous (Then the Covenant is fulfilled Messiah comes) So Messiah does not come until the Punishment is fulfilled. Messiah does not come During the 490 years he comes after the punishment is Over as per the terms of the Covenant.

Wayne Murray

Jan 15, 2007
Sorry, it would take hours to answer properly.Maybe you could break the question up into parts.The answer to the first part is Daniel chapter nine.