What does dying to sin mean?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“so also ye, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to the sin, and living to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not then the sin reign in your mortal body, to obey it in its desires; neither present ye your members instruments of unrighteousness to the sin, but present yourselves to God as living out of the dead, and your members instruments of righteousness to God; for sin over you shall not have Lordship, for ye are not under law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? let it not be!”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭6:11-15‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

Paul also explains his battle with Sin.

“That which is good then, to me hath it become death? let it not be! but the sin, that it might appear sin, through the good, working death to me, that the sin might become exceeding sinful through the command, for we have known that the law is spiritual, and I am fleshly, sold by the sin;”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭7:13-14‬ ‭YLT98‬‬

anyone have any thoughts on these things?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
When a person lies in the grave, nothing on earth can attract him. He is dead to sin and everything else. He is indifferent to everything. So being dead to sin means being indifferent to sinful things and sinful ways.

Reactions: MatthewG

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The first thing that came to mind was "doubt"

Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

That's heavy.

Hugs

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When a person lies in the grave, nothing on earth can attract him. He is dead to sin and everything else. He is indifferent to everything. So being dead to sin means being indifferent to sinful things and sinful ways.

That is very insightful thank you, Enoch.

The first thing that came to mind was "doubt"

Rom 14:23 And he that doubteth is damned if he eat, because he eateth not of faith: for whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

That's heavy.

Hugs

That is heavy Ziggy, thank you for sharing.

The key to being dead is to be alive.

Hello backlit, thank you for commenting. What does it mean to you to be dead is to be alive?

n2thelight

Dec 24, 2006
Atlanta,Ga
There are two types of sinners; there are sinners and there are habitual sinners. Many times Christians grow confused between the two types of sinners. This confusion between the two could even cause Christians to turn from the Word of God, thinking that they are not worthy.

A sinner is one that falls short of the glory of God, and we all do if you are honest with yourself, and it is nothing to be proud of. Even when we fall short, within ourselves we strive to do better, and when we do fall short we repent immediately and ask forgiveness from our Heavenly Father.

The other type of sinner could care less if there is a God in heaven, or a Satan to drive you away from God. They just don't care because their entire life revolves around themselves. This type of a person is what the Greek word calls "a fool", and Christ said, don't ever call a man "a fool". However our English word for fool has so deluded this word, to the point of just being a simple slang word. Today the word fool does not refer to the habitual sinner, but to one that acts before thinking, or his reasoning is not what normal people think is reasonable.

With the habitual sinner, there is a closed mind to receiving the seed of the Word of God. However, we do not know the mind of any person, so an effort must be made on our part as a Christian to given them the gospel of Christ.

In any case, we must attempt to remove all them that call themselves Christians from a self accusing guilt trip, for when we place guilt back on ourselves after we have asked forgiveness, we are denying the price that Christ paid on the cross to bring forgiveness for our sin.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hello backlit, thank you for commenting. What does it mean to you to be dead is to be alive?
KJV Galatians 2:20
20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me

KJV 2 Corinthians 5:17
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new

KJV Romans 6:3-14
3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
8 Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.
14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Reactions: Ziggy

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“so also ye, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to the sin, and living to God in Jesus Christ our Lord. Let not then the sin reign in your mortal body, to obey it in its desires; neither present ye your members instruments of unrighteousness to the sin, but present yourselves to God as living out of the dead, and your members instruments of righteousness to God; for sin over you shall not have Lordship, for ye are not under law, but under grace. What then? shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? let it not be!”

“That which is good then, to me hath it become death? let it not be! but the sin, that it might appear sin, through the good, working death to me, that the sin might become exceeding sinful through the command, for we have known that the law is spiritual, and I am fleshly, sold by the sin;”

I gather it means to do your utmost not to sin. The Bible assures us that Jehovah will make the way out for us, and not let us be tempted beyond what we can bear. It isn't easy, but I am sure that most of us would admit that we do not have to commit serious sins, especially after we have done them. Since I became a dedicated Christian I have sinned seriously once, and I know for a fact I didn't have to, I simply wanted to, now I have years of regret.

We have always been taught that if we become tempted to quickly put it out of our minds, occupying it with something different, and pray for strength to abstain. Interestingly however a few yrs back an elder gave a quite opposite talk, he said to play the fantasy to the end, think about the consequences that could come about if you decide to go through with the sin, I found this to be wonderful advice. Do you think that is sound advice Matt?

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You need to keep reading. Paul explains his state prior to being saved.

Romans 8:1-4, "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit."

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah, read it in the KJV translation which stays closer to the actual Greek New Testament texts. Paul was contrasting our spirit with our flesh. It is our fleshy members that Paul taught is condemned in sin. Our flesh causes most of our sins. And it wars against our 'inner man' which desires to follow God's laws.

In Galatians 5, Paul showed this difference between our spirit and our flesh again. He showed that IF... we walk by The Spirit, then WE are 'dead' to the law, simply because walking by The Holy Spirit means we won't be breaking any of God's laws.

Now those who instead reverse that idea, and say stupid things like God's laws are all dead now since Jesus died on the cross, they actually REVERSE what Paul showed about sin and walking according to the flesh, even as a Christian.

Walking by our flesh means placing ourselves back under God's laws.

The part of God's law which Lord Jesus fulfilled upon His cross involved the 'ordinances' in the law, particularly the blood ordinances, like animal sacrifice, the priesthood and ritual, ceremonials, various washings (except not water baptism), etc. God's laws against murder, manslaughter, rape, theft, perjury, etc., are STILL on the books today! (see below Scripture for Paul's lists).

See also 1 Timothy 1 where Paul showed this difference again, and also 1 Corinthians 6.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah, read it in the KJV translation which stays closer to the actual Greek New Testament texts. Paul was contrasting our spirit with our flesh. It is our fleshy members that Paul taught is condemned in sin. Our flesh causes most of our sins. And it wars against our 'inner man' which desires to follow God's laws.

In Galatians 5, Paul showed this difference between our spirit and our flesh again. He showed that IF... we walk by The Spirit, then WE are 'dead' to the law, simply because walking by The Holy Spirit means we won't be breaking any of God's laws.

Now those who instead reverse that idea, and say stupid things like God's laws are all dead now since Jesus died on the cross, they actually REVERSE what Paul showed about sin and walking according to the flesh, even as a Christian.

Walking by our flesh means placing ourselves back under God's laws.

The part of God's law which Lord Jesus fulfilled upon His cross involved the 'ordinances' in the law, particularly the blood ordinances, like animal sacrifice, the priesthood and ritual, ceremonials, various washings (except not water baptism), etc. God's laws against murder, manslaughter, rape, theft, perjury, etc., are STILL on the books today! (see below Scripture for Paul's lists).

See also 1 Timothy 1 where Paul showed this difference again, and also 1 Corinthians 6.

"Yeah, read it in the KJV translation which stays closer to the actual Greek New Testament texts" is not true. It's probably the reason that you don't understand that all God's laws are dead since Jesus died on the cross. Paul clearly wrote "So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God." It doesn't say part of the Law!

Galatians 2:15, “We who are Jews by birth and not sinful Gentiles know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified" makes this abundantly clear.

And in Galatians 2:19-21 he says this: " “For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I now live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!”

If you adhere to any of the law you deny Christ. It's that simple.

P.S. Try a better translation than the KJV if you're still having difficulty understanding.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Paul explains it using the illustration of marriage in Romans 7:1-6. Just as a woman no longer has to submit to the lordship of a husband who has died, so the believer no longer has to submit to the lordship of the body of flesh that has perished with Christ on the cross.

The law of Moses acted like a marriage license that bound you to your flesh and made you submit to it's demands (Romans 7:5). But, just like in marriage, when the partner you are bound to by law dies you are released from having to submit to that partner's demands. So when the flesh died with Christ on the cross the believer was released from the demands of the flesh and is now freed to be bound to and obey the lordship of a new husband, Jesus, and bear fruit to him.

Reactions: Jim B

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It means sin no longer has authority over you.
Like a dead husband, the flesh that has been put to death through the indwelling Spirit no longer has the authority by strength of law (like a marriage license) to make you do what it desires.

Reactions: Ziggy and Jim B

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, Paul is sharing his spiritual walk and Christian experiences with his audience.

As Paul is saying as he is one, only a true believer can die spiritually due to sin. They can know and experience this as the spirit of life takes up residence, and they are now in Christ. An unbeliever is also spiritually dead from birth although cannot experience or know of any difference as he/she will die the same way as he/she lived - in sin.

And because we have truly experienced within our bones, our heart our being of knowing we have died to sin spiritually, this should not now be a license to continue in sin and especially in Paul's time as he was released from under the Mosaic Law and into the Law of Christ, as any believer today.

Paul is telling us as a true believer, we must have experienced what he did at conversion or soon afterwards, within us, at some time....it is a sign of true conversion into Christ. It is a key experience for EVERY true/ genuine believer in Christ.

And believe me, Paul as well as any believer today still struggle/struggled with this new knowledge of 'dying to sin,' and then to be in the spirit of Christ to avoid sin and learn of it SIN) in a NEW LIGHT. It is a powerful message for all believers and how to live a sinless life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Yeah, read it in the KJV translation which stays closer to the actual Greek New Testament texts" is not true. It's probably the reason that you don't understand that all God's laws are dead since Jesus died on the cross.

You sound just like an ATHEIST-COMMUNIST. Only a Communist-subversive would think that God's laws against murder, theft, rape, perjury, i.e., the sins Apostle Paul listed in 1 Timothy 1, were done away with by Jesus on His cross!

1 Tim 1:8-11
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.
KJV

The KJV Bible is a very close English translation to the Greek Received Texts, which are the Majority of Greek texts proven to be used by the early Christian Church.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are doing your utmost not to sin, you have already failed. It may be a noble cause, but is guaranteed to fail. Why? Because righteousness comes by faith. Not by your strength, regardless how hard you try.

You are correct sir, we all fail, not one of us is sinless, however the Bible does not excuse us from trying simply because we will fail. No doubt it makes Jehovah's heart very happy when we succeed, giving him the opportunity to: (Proverbs 27:11) . . .make my heart rejoice, that I may make a reply to him that is taunting me.