Doctrine as a god - bow down before the one you serve...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A bit short to be able to comment, because I could easily misunderstand. But as I understand it, I agree.

Religious form can become an idol. Statements of doctrinal belief can become a cover for corruption. Spirituality is something on the "inside of the cup," and not pure externality.

Observance of the Law of Moses, for example, would be to trust in the performance of sinful human beings, believers or not. And that would be utter futility or utter vanity. We cannot be justified as anything other than what we are--sinners!

We cannot rest our laurels on religious performance or perfunctory obligations. Instead, we must rely on the operations of faith, which require our conscious choice to follow the living word of God to our heart. That's where I agree that "spirituality is an individualized journey."

It is in our heart that we relate to God. Only then can we express that faith outwardly in word and in deed.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I agree.

So these questions below are not meant to be answered, but just to provoke thought about the answers.

I agree with your first statement. It is God who saves.

But what happens if someone rejects the God who saves or His method of salvation (saving?).

Would they reject the religious scripture that tells about God and how He saves?

What happens if YOUR doctrine is the false doctrine regarding Universalism? Will it be your way or the highway?

BIG QUESTION: Why is it so important to you or me or anyone else that everyone must understand scripture my way or your way or anyone else's way?

I'll tell you what makes any doctrine false: It's the doctrine that is not cemented in what Jesus and His apostles believed and said, because what Jesus believed and said is what God knows, and what His apostles believed and said is what Jesus first taught them, and then appointed then to establish in His churches.

So what happens if YOUR way of interpreting parts of what Jesus and His apostles believed and taught is the one that's not the same as what they meant? Would it be your way or the highway?

Why is it so important to you or me or anyone else that everyone must understand scripture your way or my way or anyone else's way?

Why is it so important to us that many don't understand it our way?

Evidence that humans are fallible and each one believes he isn't, is contained in every thread in these boards in this forum. So I don't stand out as an exception, neither do you. The only human who ever stood out, and stands out as an exception, is Jesus.

Last edited:

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree 100% that "There is no salvation in doctrine. Only God can save."

Reactions: St. SteVen

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no salvation in doctrine. Only God can save.

--- Agree or disagree? ---

]