Is the Good News actual news? - No longer news to most

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote this recently on a topic.

St. SteVen said:
For the most part, the Good News is no longer news.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In areas where the gospel has not been preached before, or is unknown, the Gospel is indeed Good News.
With the emphasis on NEWS.

But does the gospel lose its newsworthiness if known by the hearer?

- To whom is the Gospel not news at all?
- Is there good news for those already familiar?
- Can the Gospel be attractive to those who are SICK of hearing it?
- Is the Gospel a general message, or can it be personalized?

/ @ChristisGod @quietthinker

Hillsage

Feb 20, 2023
Western Kansas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wrote this recently on a topic.

St. SteVen said:
For the most part, the Good News is no longer news.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In areas where the gospel has not been preached before, or is unknown, the Gospel is indeed Good News.
With the emphasis on NEWS.

But does the gospel lose its newsworthiness if known by the hearer?

- To whom is the Gospel not news at all?
- Is there good news for those already familiar?
- Can the Gospel be attractive to those who are SICK of hearing it?
- Is the Gospel a general message, or can it be personalized?

/ @ChristisGod @quietthinker
Not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I believe it was Billy Graham who I heard say; "If you listen for the questions of a man's heart, God will give you the words to speak into his life." And I'm going to assume, they will hear 'good words'.

Reactions: St. SteVen

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only great news! The total victory over all things by the Lord Yeshua.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To me the gospel means God wants us to be reconciled with him.
That he wants to live with us and take care of us and he wants us to take care of each other.
I think a lot of people hear a lot about, If you don't believe in God you will go to hell, or die in your sins.
And that's as far as it gets. Just do it because God said so.

I think what gets forgotten is the why.

You look around today and you see most kids are raising themselves. Or they have mixed families. Don't matter if they are the same gender or race, they still being neglected in many ways.
The figure of the father head has gone by the wayside for a long time now. Kids have no respect for their parents, parents have no respect for their kids. Everybody just doing their thing.

Then you bring God into the picture and people are like, I don't need anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do.
It truly is a rebellious spirit that rules the world today.
And when a man comes around and tries to take the reigns in the family, or assert himself as provider and law maker,
Then everybody becomes defensive and lashes out.
Some mock saying, what's the matter with you, you have daddy issues?
It's this authority any authority that challenges their own that makes them rebellious.

So how do you bring the good news that God wants to be reconciled to his children, when the children don't want reconciliation because they don't want to be under ANY authority whatsoever?

Some people out there, lost and lonely, looking for love and direction.. these ones NEED the gospel.
God loves you. He wants to take care of you, he wants to be your friend and provider, and he wants you to lean on him.

How do you get the ones who say they need nothing, realize they need God more than they know?

I don't know.
Hugs

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is only great news! The total victory over all things by the Lord Yeshua.
Only if we reject the Christian Bible like you do.

Matthew 25:41 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels':

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure I'm remembering this correctly, but I believe it was Billy Graham who I heard say; "If you listen for the questions of a man's heart, God will give you the words to speak into his life." And I'm going to assume, they will hear 'good words'.
That's good.
There's a difference between viewing someone as a person and viewing them as a project.

/

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That he wants to live with us and take care of us and he wants us to take care of each other.
Agree.
That should be the focus.

I think a lot of people hear a lot about, If you don't believe in God you will go to hell, or die in your sins.
Right.
That is spiritual extortion in my view.

"Receive the free gift of eternal life. Or if you prefer, you will be incinerated."

Agree.

Some people out there, lost and lonely, looking for love and direction.. these ones NEED the gospel.
God loves you. He wants to take care of you, he wants to be your friend and provider, and he wants you to lean on him.
That's good.
We need to have eyes for those in need.

How do you get the ones who say they need nothing, realize they need God more than they know?
That's a great question.

/

Reactions: Ziggy

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

That hits the nail right on the head! But don’t we first have to know what the “good news” is exactly?
So many speak about “the gospel” (good news) without knowing what it is in a nutshell. What is the NEWS, and what is good about it?
You look around today and you see most kids are raising themselves. Or they have mixed families. Don't matter if they are the same gender or race, they still being neglected in many ways.
The figure of the father head has gone by the wayside for a long time now. Kids have no respect for their parents, parents have no respect for their kids. Everybody just doing their thing.
It was the devil who first told humans that they would be better off deciding what is good and bad for themselves, and he has been promoting that idea ever since. We can clearly see where that has led the human race....down a very dark path to self destruction.
Then you bring God into the picture and people are like, I don't need anyone telling me what I should or shouldn't do.
It truly is a rebellious spirit that rules the world today.
The ruler of this world is also its god. (2 Cor 4:3-4) He has the power to “blind the minds” of those who reveal a rebellious spirit...the ones who don’t want to be held accountable to anyone for what they do. But he can only do that to “unbelievers”....those who like his way of thinking. What quality is God seeking in us?....humility and an obedient heart that puts God's will before our own.
And when a man comes around and tries to take the reigns in the family, or assert himself as provider and law maker,
Then everybody becomes defensive and lashes out.
Some mock saying, what's the matter with you, you have daddy issues?
It's this authority any authority that challenges their own that makes them rebellious.
Who do they take their advice from? It’s like they are completely unaware of the fact that their lives are so unhappy and unsatisfying because they have no direction from someone wiser than themselves. They keep stumbling into the same gaping holes and wondering why they keep ending up the there, hurt and bleeding.
So how do you bring the good news that God wants to be reconciled to his children, when the children don't want reconciliation because they don't want to be under ANY authority whatsoever?
You do what Jesus commanded his disciples to do....you take the message out to the people and like Jesus, you allow their own hearts to respond as they will. (Matt 10:11-14: Matt 28:19-20)

Jesus said that he would be “with” his followers in this work, that he said would be carried out right up until “the end”. (Matt 24:14)
Who are out in the world preaching the same message in every nation? Not the divided churches of Christendom because they do not know what “the gospel” actually is, so therefore they have no specific message but.... “Jesus loves you” and “you can be with him in heaven when you die”. Is that really what he told us to preach? Is that what people need to hear?

Jesus never ran after anyone pleading with them to listen to him...he told his truth, and honest and humble hearts responded to it and came to him. He did not need to bribe them or threaten them, but simply told them that their choices had consequences.....they could choose as their heart dictated...because God's will is going to take place...with us or without us.
This give Jesus a basis for his coming judgment.....those who want what God wants...and those who only want what they want from God.
The truth is that these people see no evidence of God’s existence in Christendom....all they see is a multitude of differing views and doctrines and are left to wonder how you can possibly make a choice?

Who is teaching the truth?...because they cannot all be right.....Jesus taught one truth and the devil came in and did what he does best...he planted seeds of doubt and led men off in a multitude of different directions....yet Christendom claims to be “Christianity”.....however, there is no resemblance to what Jesus and his apostles began.......but this was foretold. Why are we surprised that the “weeds”' sown by the devil' grow so well in a large "field" with so much ‘fertilizer’?
You don't. You go out to the people with the message of the Kingdom...the one that explains what the Kingdom of God truly is and what it will do for mankind now and in the future. But you can't go out to the people with no real message of hope for their lives NOW....not only after they die!
I don't know.
Thankfully Jesus does...he has been sending his disciples out to the people for almost 2000 years, despite stiff opposition....but the people were swayed by the ones who took the power of God and turned it into a threat, rather than a promise. Fear is a powerful weapon in the wrong hands....fear of death, particularly if people have swallowed the lie about a hell of eternal damnation. (Hebrews 2:15; Matt 16:26) There is no such place.

Is God really interested in those who are not interested in him? Does he care what these people want, if it is in opposition to his will and purpose? How has he treated those kinds of people in the past to show us what he thinks of them? Why would he not continue to do so now? He is actually allowing humans the freedom they demanded, and took for themselves......to judge their worthiness for citizenship in his Kingdom. We are telling God every day, who we really are, and that in itself will determine our eternal future. It is our humility and willingness to obey God and his Christ, even when it is difficult, or even if it means losing our life.....this is the example of the martyrs who have lost their lives rather than compromise with an evil religious or political system.

The truth is there, right under our noses...but some are so blind that they can never see it. Only God can open our eyes to his truth. (John 6:65)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That hits the nail right on the head! But don’t we first have to know what the “good news” is exactly?
So many speak about “the gospel” (good news) without knowing what it is in a nutshell. What is the NEWS, and what is good about it?

It was the devil who first told humans that they would be better off deciding what is good and bad for themselves, and he has been promoting that idea ever since. We can clearly see where that has led the human race....down a very dark path to self destruction.

The ruler of this world is also its god. (2 Cor 4:3-4) He has the power to “blind the minds” of those who reveal a rebellious spirit...the ones who don’t want to be held accountable to anyone for what they do. But he can only do that to “unbelievers”....those who like his way of thinking. What quality is God seeking in us?....humility and an obedient heart that puts God's will before our own.

Who do they take their advice from? It’s like they are completely unaware of the fact that their lives are so unhappy and unsatisfying because they have no direction from someone wiser than themselves. They keep stumbling into the same gaping holes and wondering why they keep ending up the there, hurt and bleeding.

You do what Jesus commanded his disciples to do....you take the message out to the people and like Jesus, you allow their own hearts to respond as they will. (Matt 10:11-14: Matt 28:19-20)

Jesus said that he would be “with” his followers in this work, that he said would be carried out right up until “the end”. (Matt 24:14)
Who are out in the world preaching the same message in every nation? Not the divided churches of Christendom because they do not know what “the gospel” actually is, so therefore they have no specific message but.... “Jesus loves you” and “you can be with him in heaven when you die”. Is that really what he told us to preach? Is that what people need to hear?

Jesus never ran after anyone pleading with them to listen to him...he told his truth, and honest and humble hearts responded to it and came to him. He did not need to bribe them or threaten them, but simply told them that their choices had consequences.....they could choose as their heart dictated...because God's will is going to take place...with us or without us.
This give Jesus a basis for his coming judgment.....those who want what God wants...and those who only want what they want from God.

The truth is that these people see no evidence of God’s existence in Christendom....all they see is a multitude of differing views and doctrines and are left to wonder how you can possibly make a choice?

Who is teaching the truth?...because they cannot all be right.....Jesus taught one truth and the devil came in and did what he does best...he planted seeds of doubt and led men off in a multitude of different directions....yet Christendom claims to be “Christianity”.....however, there is no resemblance to what Jesus and his apostles began.......but this was foretold. Why are we surprised that the “weeds”' sown by the devil' grow so well in a large "field" with so much ‘fertilizer’?

You don't. You go out to the people with the message of the Kingdom...the one that explains what the Kingdom of God truly is and what it will do for mankind now and in the future. But you can't go out to the people with no real message of hope for their lives NOW....not only after they die!

Thankfully Jesus does...he has been sending his disciples out to the people for almost 2000 years, despite stiff opposition....but the people were swayed by the ones who took the power of God and turned it into a threat, rather than a promise. Fear is a powerful weapon in the wrong hands....fear of death, particularly if people have swallowed the lie about a hell of eternal damnation. (Hebrews 2:15; Matt 16:26) There is no such place.

Is God really interested in those who are not interested in him? Does he care what these people want, if it is in opposition to his will and purpose? How has he treated those kinds of people in the past to show us what he thinks of them? Why would he not continue to do so now? He is actually allowing humans the freedom they demanded, and took for themselves......to judge their worthiness for citizenship in his Kingdom. We are telling God every day, who we really are, and that in itself will determine our eternal future. It is our humility and willingness to obey God and his Christ, even when it is difficult, or even if it means losing our life.....this is the example of the martyrs who have lost their lives rather than compromise with an evil religious or political system.

The truth is there, right under our noses...but some are so blind that they can never see it. Only God can open our eyes to his truth. (John 6:65)
I figure if you can't tell them then show them.

The Pharisees were always looking for something to catch Jesus doing that was against the "law" .
On one occasion he said:
Jhn 10:32
Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?

Well they couldn't argue with the works because they are good. Healing, feeding, freeing people from their demons, forgiving.
What they were opposed to was Jesus saying that he was doing the works of God, making himself God.
But isn't that what God said: Be ye perfect as I am perfect.
It's not about trying to be the authority, it's about showing others how God treats us and cares for us.
And when Jesus went about doing in the carnal world what God has always done for us in the spiritual, they got offended.
Offended because they made an oath and promised they would do what he told them to do, but they didn't listen, they did it their way.
Their own guilt convicted them and then they turned the finger on Jesus.
Jesus said: If I do the works of my Father then the finger of God has come unto you.
And then they pointed their finger, their authority over Jesus.

I think Jesus balanced teaching and doing throughout his ministry.
Today I hear a lot of talking, but I don't see a lot of doing.

And maybe that's what the world needs. To See.

Hugs

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let go of what you know, which is really belief, and ‘meet them where they’re at’. Help them realize God & nothing are synonymous. You may have to realize that first to be able to understand what they’re saying.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let go of what you know, which is really belief, and ‘meet them where they’re at’. Help them realize God & nothing are synonymous. You may have to realize that first to be able to understand what they’re saying.
But it's so empty and cold. There is nothing to hope for, nothing to reach for, no goal.
The best you can get is what the world has to offer and when you die you can't take it with you.
The world has very little comfort to offer and most times you have to negotiate to find it.
You don't have to negotiate with God, he has already provided us with everything we need.
All he asks is that we believe in Him and accept his love and his provisions.
Then all he requires is that we do for others as he does for us.
Pay it forward if you will.

The world is selfish and greedy. Everything is about what can I get. God is, what can I give.
And there a lot of good atheists out there that don't believe there is a God, but they do the works that God does by sharing and giving to others.
Why are they opposed to believing that God does the same for them?
Because then they would have to accept grace rather than be the author of it.
Humility maybe?
Just thinking..
Thank you for your reply
Hugs

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it's so empty and cold. There is nothing to hope for, nothing to reach for, no goal.
That’s what’s known which is actually a belief. That’s how beliefs work though, the belief doesn’t seem like a belief, as it seems known, or true. That’s how you’re ’getting in your own way’ in this regard, unwilling to truly ‘meet em where he’s at’. The secondary belief is that it’s his, or her, or their… beliefs. But there is no experience whatsoever of his, or her, or their beliefs.

“He is agnostic”, is a belief. Even if that’s what it seems he says - for you, it’s still a belief.

The world is not selfish and greedy, the world is a belief.

There are no good or bad atheist’s… you’re just eating the forbidden fruit.

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s what’s known which is actually a belief. That’s how beliefs work though, the belief doesn’t seem like a belief, as it seems known, or true. That’s how you’re ’getting in your own way’ in this regard, unwilling to truly ‘meet em where he’s at’. The secondary belief is that it’s his, or her, or their… beliefs. But there is no experience whatsoever of his, or her, or their beliefs.

“He is agnostic”, is a belief. Even if that’s what it seems he says - for you, it’s still a belief.

Ah it's the all is relative theory.

Well, I can't meet someone where their at if I don't know where to find them.
They will just have to find me. And if they don't know where I am, then they are stuck where they are.

I suppose belief happens the day your born and you believe that if you cry enough your mother will come and change your diaper.
And guess what? It actually happens. So your belief is reinforced by action.

The world is a physical manifestation of a spiritual truth.
You can see the world, touch it taste it smell it, but it's still only an image of that which can't be seen with worldy eyes.
We can demonstrate the motions in the world by our actions.

Do you believe in yourself? Are you here, wherever here is?
If not then how are you able to communicate and articulate anything that has any characteristics whatsoever.
Are you just a figment of my imagination?

This kind of thinking makes my head hurt.
No offence, it's just I can't get my mind around the concept of no thing.
Because you have to believe that a thing is to begin with, whatever that thing is.
I just can't conceptualize no thing.

I feel like I been here before.. de ja vu.
oops that dont exist its just a belief and beliefs dont exist so, whatever I say is no thing.

yup, I'm trying friend, but that road aint for me.
Thank you though
interesting ride..
hugs

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I'm afraid that your posts do not make a lot of sense to me, especially as you identify as a "Christian"....we know that Jesus said we had two commands in the Law that we must follow......
Matt 22:36-40...one of the Pharisees asked Jesus.....
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” 37 He said to him: “‘You must love Jehovah your God with your whole heart and with your whole soul and with your whole mind.38 This is the greatest and first commandment. 39 The second, like it, is this:You must love your neighbor as yourself.40 On these two commandments the whole Law hangs, and the Prophets.”

If there is no obedience to the first commandment, then the second is not motivated by the first....
Atheists have no love for God, even though they might be "good" people from the world's perspective.....God never said he was going to save "good" people...his going to save those who love him and obey him in all things. These will be the ones treating their neighbors well and being separate from the world, they will not be involved with its conflicts, attitudes or bloodshed.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ah it's the all is relative theory.
No, there’s no relative. That’s what general & special relativity proved, and that’s a deflection as well. A way to not hear what was said. Which is totally fine. :)

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, there’s no relative. That’s what general & special relativity proved, and that’s a deflection as well. A way to not hear what was said. Which is totally fine. :)
It's not that I'm not listening. I just can't understand the concept.
that's funny..lol
Nevermind
I appreciate your effort.
Hugs

• Love

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
1 Cor 14:8-11....
"For if the trumpet sounds an indistinct call, who will get ready for battle? 9 In the same way, unless you with the tongue use speech that is easily understood, how will anyone know what is being said? You will, in fact, be speaking into the air. 10 It may be that there are many kinds of speech in the world, and yet no kind is without meaning. 11 For if I do not understand the sense of the speech, I will be a foreigner to the one speaking, and the one speaking will be a foreigner to me."

You are a foreigner to me Phil....:no reply:
....and there is no one to interpret....

• Love

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you believe in yourself? Are you here, wherever here is?
If not then how are you able to communicate and articulate anything that has any characteristics whatsoever.
Are you just a figment of my imagination?
A waiter says ‘chicken or steak’. The thought arises and is vocalized, ‘steak’. Then a second thought arises, ‘I chose steak’. That second thought is like a clown taking a bow after a show it wasn’t present for. The chooser is assumed in hindsight, but wasn’t there when the “choice was made” (it wasn’t). Communication happens apparently, there’s just no one doing it.

This kind of thinking makes my head hurt.
No offence, it's just I can't get my mind around the concept of no thing.
The thought arises, “I can’t get my mind….” and is believed. Where is it though?
Same for “my head” - where exactly is that?

Because you have to believe that a thing is to begin with, whatever that thing is.
The thought arises “you have to believe”, and is believed. Where is a you which has to believe though?

I just can't conceptualize no thing.
It’s the I which is conceptual.

I feel like I been here before.. de ja vu.
oops that dont exist its just a belief and beliefs dont exist so, whatever I say is no thing.
“I been here before” is a thought, not how you feel.