Many claim to be Christians, but what does the Bible say about it?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billions of people throughout the earth claim to be Christians. But they do not have all the same beliefs, or standards. so what is a Christian? Does the Bible give us insight on how to identify them?

The actual definition of Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. The name Christian was first bestowed on Jesus' disciples in Antioch in the first century as they were gaining in numbers Acts 11:26

Jesus stated that his disciples would really be his if they remained in his word Jn 8:31. In other words they would obey his teachings, as time progressed they would continue to obey the laws handed down through the apostles as well as recorded in the Bible Compare Luke 24:27

Jesus told his followers to Love one another as I have loved you. Not only did he give his life for them, but spent time with them, encouraged them, and helped them. True Christians show by their words and actions that they love one another., including their neighbors. Gal 6:10

True Christians were given an assignment that would continue to the end of this world. Jesus came primarily to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God. Luke 4:43 He sent his disciples out to do the same. Luke 9:2 So true Christians bear testimony of all the things he commanded until God is satisfied a witness is given to the entire earth. Mat 28:19,20; 24:14; Acts 1:8 They devote their time, talents, and treasures even going house to house Acts 5:42 sharing the Bible's message of hope and comfort to make disciples of anyone who desires to hear that message.

Reactions: shortangel

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Billions of people throughout the earth claim to be Christians.

The only proof that a person is a "christian" is to be born again.

Doing good works only proves you can do good works.
Serial Killers can do the occasion good works.

Trying to save yourself by works or commandments or water baptism, proves you are not a Christian, or you are a bad one, who has no faith in Christ, and exists as Paul teaches as : "in the Flesh" and "bewitched',... having become "fallen from Grace".

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Billions of people throughout the earth claim to be Christians. But they do not have all the same beliefs, or standards. so what is a Christian? Does the Bible give us insight on how to identify them?

The actual definition of Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ. The name Christian was first bestowed on Jesus' disciples in Antioch in the first century as they were gaining in numbers Acts 11:26

Jesus stated that his disciples would really be his if they remained in his word Jn 8:31. In other words they would obey his teachings, as time progressed they would continue to obey the laws handed down through the apostles as well as recorded in the Bible Compare Luke 24:27

Jesus told his followers to Love one another as I have loved you. Not only did he give his life for them, but spent time with them, encouraged them, and helped them. True Christians show by their words and actions that they love one another., including their neighbors. Gal 6:10

True Christians were given an assignment that would continue to the end of this world. Jesus came primarily to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God. Luke 4:43 He sent his disciples out to do the same. Luke 9:2 So true Christians bear testimony of all the things he commanded until God is satisfied a witness is given to the entire earth. Mat 28:19,20; 24:14; Acts 1:8 They devote their time, talents, and treasures even going house to house Acts 5:42 sharing the Bible's message of hope and comfort to make disciples of anyone who desires to hear that message.

Yes, the born-again will do these things! But WHY, Robert?

Do these things merit something with God, or is it done out of love for what Christ has done for us?

The OP could be taken as works for salvation. Not sure if this is the case or not.

What does obeying Christ mean to you? How do you obey Christ?

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All one has to say is that you believe Jesus and you are saved regardless ?
But what if they do not know Jesus is the Christ 100% what if one has doubts ?
A little faith is all one needs ? does faith save one ? Well Bible says this, Oh you of little faith ? so that's a problem right their ! but Bible says about a faith that can move mountains ? now that sounds like the faith that we need in fact, does it not ?

So we can see that ones Faith can grow ?

We can see in the parable of the sower of the seeds how faith can be strangled by the weeds or lost due to taking no root etc etc.

So has one ever seen people who went to your church who once had faith but then years ahead did not, not to mention bagged all such as rubbish, not to mention say you don't believe all that BS do you ! Now I say well yes I do believe in Jesus 10 fold from what I once did, not to mention a 1000 times more than I once did in fact. boy does That blows them away !

I have a bloke that I did not see for 30 years and he invites me over now for 3 years but lives 5hr away so once a year I see him, and talk a bit on the phone. now he has mentioned the 1970's that we were in Church, but he will be in for a big surprise when or if we talk fact to face seriously, I know where he is coming from with issues ? but I can not talk over the phone to truly deal with all such, if I want to be truly serious about such issues, that has to be done eye to eye. I am talking about Christ Jesus ! and not religious dribble. I am talking about ones Salvation not religion. because religion does not Save ! Only Christ Jesus Saves in fact.

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I think the world would have been far better off if the truth of God as/in Christ didn't get confined to a book.

If people would have spread the word,and The Word would work in those whom he chose as that word heralded a new age of redemption and salvation, so that God was The Word that spread across his kingdom on earth as in heaven,this world would be different.

Better? Worse?
We'll never know. But when those who are of a human nature believe they have ownership of God's identity , there's going to be a war. Possession is 9/10th's of man's law.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many claim to be Christians, but what does the Bible say about it?
OP ^

AGREE.
Non-FOLLOWERS of Jesus Christ CALLED people WHO were FOLLOWERS of Jesus Christ......CHRIST-IANS.

Jesus stated that his disciples would really be his if they remained in his word Jn 8:31.

AGREE... “IF” ... they REMAINED in his word.

In other words they would obey his teachings,

AGREE... “IF” ... they OBEYED his TEACHINGS.

as time progressed they would continue to obey the laws handed down through the apostles as well as recorded in the Bible Compare Luke 24:27

DISAGREE...The Teachings OF Jesus Christ is HE IS THE FULFILLMENT of OT LAW.

Jesus told his followers to Love one another as I have loved you. Not only did he give his life for them,

AGREE...
Jesus FULFILLED the LAW......LOVE ALL.
Jesus FULFILLED the LAW......GAVE HIS BODY FOR ALL.

Jesus’ TEACHING TO ALL....DO AS HE HAS DONE.
* Love the Lord God Above ALL things.
* Love ALL others.
* Give your Body unto DEATH FOR the Lord God.

* Give your Body unto DEATH FOR the Lord God, AND the Lord Gods POWER will ENTER “
IN” YOU.
His POWER “IN” you WILL KEEP YOU FOREVER WITH the Lord God.
* His POWER “IN” you WILL KEEP YOU “Loving the Lord God Above ALL things FOREVER.
* His POWER “IN” you WILL KEEP YOU “Loving the ALL others”.

True Christians
...( The Converted )... were given an assignment that would continue to the end of this world. [/QUOTE]

DISAGREE...
Jesus’ TEACHING is ANY TRUE HEARTFUL BELIEVING and CONFESSED and CONVERTED man ... HAS ACCOMPLISHED...
**WORKING the WORKS of God...........BELIEF (John 6:28-29)
**THE SERVICE of God.......HEARTFUL CONFESSION. (Rom 12:1)

Jesus came primarily to preach the good news of the Kingdom of God. Luke 4:43 He sent his disciples out to do the same. Luke 9:2

AGREE...

So true Christians ... (The CONVERTED IN CHRIST)... bear testimony of all the things he commanded ...
(OF TRUE CONFESSED BELIEF IN GOD AND CHRIST JESUS).

until God is satisfied a witness is given to the entire earth. Mat 28:19,20; 24:14; Acts 1:8 They devote their time, talents, and treasures even going house to house Acts 5:42 ...

A BIT SKETCHY...

Acts; 5:
[42] And daily in the temple, and in every house, they ceased not to teach and preach Jesus Christ.

* What Temple?
* They went to EVERY house?

The CONVERTED Apostles, the CONVERTED Disciples OF Jesus Christ...
ARE the TEMPLE of God.
* The Converted Apostles, the Converted Disciples DID share the Word of God....in random gatherings in the Streets, in pre-planned announced field gatherings, in Synagogue Buildings, in Church Buildings, in pre-planned invited Home visits....
* AND AT every Gathering, whereby PEOPLE were willing to HEAR...
* They PREACHED the GOOD NEWS of the GOSPEL of JESUS CHRIST.
* The WILLING Listened....The UNWILLING walked away.

It’s a BIT tricky...Entering a persons PROPERTY, without INVITATION or PERMISSION, which IS Called TRESPASSING.
* Even Jesus Himself, Arranged Permission WITH THE HOME/PROPERTY OWNER, BEFORE entering that persons PROPERTY.

* HOW DOES the UNWILLING to HEAR, walk away, when they are ON their own Property and a TRESPASSER enters?
* Their “property” does not begin and end in their Home building. It begins on their LAND.
* Does the general population NOT KNOW, entering another person’s LAND without Permission, IS Trespassing?

* Has the general public NOT SEEN their own corrupt Government unConstitutionally AUTHORIZE “THEMSELVES” Above the Law...to ENTER a persons private Property; Land and Home...and KILL THEM (man, woman, animal) AT WILL?
* Has the general public NOT SEEN their own corrupt Government ‘protect and reward’ their own Above the Law, Trespassing Murderers....?
* AND THOSE WHO sit in honored seats, Having VOWED to PROTECT citizens, ARE the MOST CORRUPT, GIVING THE ORDERS for men TO TRESPASS and MURDER!

Preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ in every home, IS Preaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ IN every home; without committing a Trespass.

sharing the Bible's message of hope and comfort to make disciples of anyone who desires to hear that message.

AGREE... First KNOWING...then SHARING the Gospel of Jesus Christ with Willing listeners....without committing a Trespass.

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think the world would have been far better off if the truth of God as/in Christ didn't get confined to a book.

If people would have spread the word,and The Word would work in those whom he chose as that word heralded a new age of redemption and salvation, so that God was The Word that spread across his kingdom on earth as in heaven,this world would be different.

Better? Worse?
We'll never know. But when those who are of a human nature believe they have ownership of God's identity , there's going to be a war. Possession is 9/10th's of man's law.

However...”THE BOOK”, is the ultimate SOURCE for VERIFICATION For that WHICH one HEARS preached.

(A man Converted IN Christ, has a “super gift, if you will”...
The Same BOOK...source for Verification
The (super gift) of the WORD of God “IN” them ... that God Himself GIVES the understanding OF His WORD...ie Gods Validation.)

* WITHOUT “THE BOOK”...Withholding “THE BOOK”...Substituting “THE BOOK”...
* LEAVES the Listener with mans words, mans philosophies, mans dictation, mans private interpretation, mans substitute writings....
Following After men...and NOT following after the Word of God.

WARNING...BEWARE...WARNING...HEED...pay close attention.

Col 2:
[8] Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Seriously, did Christ Jesus or His Apostles, TEACH...
* Praying TO; anyone other than the Lord God?
* Erecting Statues and bow down before them?
* Writing, Distributing, Companion Books to Teach the Understanding of Gods Word?
* Trust, Exalt, ANY man or woman AS equal with the Lord God?
* Teach ANY Earthly man or woman was naturally BORN Sinless?
* Teach HEARING a sermon, REPETITIOUS prayers, CARRYING/WEARING trinkets, MAKING cross gestures,
WATER baptisms, BOWING before statues, KISSING statues & rings,
JOINING a man-constructed Church Building, Scheduled PRAYING time- frames, Preaching man-made philosophies, men rewarding men for following man-made philosophies and traditions...
...REVEALS TO the LORD GOD and other men...YOU ARE Heartfully COMMITTED TO Lord God?

UH...no!

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

Romans 4.3 refers to the yardstick: "what saith the scripture?"

Didn’t see “yardstick” in Rom 4:3.
However other scriptures do reveal “MEASURES”...
Hearing comes before Reading.
Hearing bit by bit (a measure) of the Word of God is the beginning (by the measure of bit by bit) of one Receiving the Word of God.

FOR Hearing...a measure (bit)...
God GIVES Faith...a measure (bit)...

It’s a FREE gift, FROM God, TO a man FOR Hearing the Word of God.

Hear more....Receive more of Gods Gift of FAITH.
Stop Hearing...Stop Receiving...

Glory to God,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Didn’t see “yardstick” in Rom 4:3.
However other scriptures do reveal “MEASURES”...
Hearing comes before Reading.
Hearing bit by bit (a measure) of the Word of God is the beginning (by the measure of bit by bit) of one Receiving the Word of God.

FOR Hearing...a measure (bit)...
God GIVES Faith...a measure (bit)...

It’s a FREE gift, FROM God, TO a man FOR Hearing the Word of God.

Hear more....Receive more of Gods Gift of FAITH.
Stop Hearing...Stop Receiving...

Glory to God,
Taken
I guess I was using the word generally, as per the idea of measuring......

Reactions: Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do these things merit something with God, or is it done out of love for what Christ has done for us?

The OP could be taken as works for salvation. Not sure if this is the case or not.

Think you are going toward...questioning ... WHAT is A Works unto Salvation...

A Works unto Salvation IS singular....BELIEF.
A Service unto Salvation IS singular...Commitment via CONVERSION.

WORKS thereafter, of that CONVERTED person ... Has nothing to do with GAINING or KEEPING SALVATION, that is ALREADY given via Conversion.

WORKS thereafter...THAT Glorify God before men...are WORKS OF a converted man that GAIN THAT CONVERTED MAN.........REWARDS!

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Charlie24

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think you are going toward...questioning ... WHAT is A Works unto Salvation...

A Works unto Salvation IS singular....BELIEF.
A Service unto Salvation IS singular...Commitment via CONVERSION.

WORKS thereafter, of that CONVERTED person ... Has nothing to do with GAINING or KEEPING SALVATION, that is ALREADY given via Conversion.

WORKS thereafter...THAT Glorify God before men...are WORKS OF a converted man that GAIN THAT CONVERTED MAN.........REWARDS!

Glory to God,
Taken

We work because we are saved, not to get or stay saved.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only proof that a person is a "christian" is to be born again.

Doing good works only proves you can do good works.
Serial Killers can do the occasion good works.

Trying to save yourself by works or commandments or water baptism, proves you are not a Christian, or you are a bad one, who has no faith in Christ, and exists as Paul teaches as : "in the Flesh" and "bewitched',... having become "fallen from Grace".

Can anyone who does not worship Jehovah be born again Be? Just like claiming to be Jesus' followers but teaching not the teachings of the Christ, many claim to be born again, yet have no grasp on what that term actually means.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes sir, the born again have accepted the assignment and work diligently to complete it. All Christians obey God's commandments, and you asked why? The answer is found at 1 Jn 5:3 sir.

What does obeying Jesus mean to me? Living the law of Christ 24/7 sir. Am I able to live it perfectly? No! But I do my utmost to pull more than my own weight. I make sure that I give more than the average that my brothers and sisters give in avenues of service, which involves time, talents, and treasures. Our main assignment is found at Mat 28:19,20 and you observe me doing that almost every day here.

Charlie24

Feb 24, 2021
Monroe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes sir, the born again have accepted the assignment and work diligently to complete it. All Christians obey God's commandments, and you asked why? The answer is found at 1 Jn 5:3 sir.

What does obeying Jesus mean to me? Living the law of Christ 24/7 sir. Am I able to live it perfectly? No! But I do my utmost to pull more than my own weight. I make sure that I give more than the average that my brothers and sisters give in avenues of service, which involves time, talents, and treasures. Our main assignment is found at Mat 28:19,20 and you observe me doing that almost every day here.

So you are working because you are saved and not to be saved?

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It's easy to say, "I am a Christian." Is that all it takes to go to heaven? Does going to church regularly ensure your salvation?

Blue Dragonfly's

Jul 15, 2022
not this Christian parody site
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The men who wrote the book confirmed in their writing it was not to be questioned?

Where do they preach from?
At one time it was illegal to own a Bible.

However...”THE BOOK”, is the ultimate SOURCE for VERIFICATION For that WHICH one HEARS preached.

(A man Converted IN Christ, has a “super gift, if you will”...
The Same BOOK...source for Verification
The (super gift) of the WORD of God “IN” them ... that God Himself GIVES the understanding OF His WORD...ie Gods Validation.)

* WITHOUT “THE BOOK”...Withholding “THE BOOK”...Substituting “THE BOOK”...
* LEAVES the Listener with mans words, mans philosophies, mans dictation, mans private interpretation, mans substitute writings....
Following After men...and NOT following after the Word of God.

WARNING...BEWARE...WARNING...HEED...pay close attention.

Col 2:
[8] Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Seriously, did Christ Jesus or His Apostles, TEACH...
* Praying TO; anyone other than the Lord God?
* Erecting Statues and bow down before them?
* Writing, Distributing, Companion Books to Teach the Understanding of Gods Word?
* Trust, Exalt, ANY man or woman AS equal with the Lord God?
* Teach ANY Earthly man or woman was naturally BORN Sinless?
* Teach HEARING a sermon, REPETITIOUS prayers, CARRYING/WEARING trinkets, MAKING cross gestures,
WATER baptisms, BOWING before statues, KISSING statues & rings,
JOINING a man-constructed Church Building, Scheduled PRAYING time- frames, Preaching man-made philosophies, men rewarding men for following man-made philosophies and traditions...
...REVEALS TO the LORD GOD and other men...YOU ARE Heartfully COMMITTED TO Lord God?

UH...no!

Glory to God,
Taken

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The men who wrote the book confirmed in their writing it was not to be questioned?

God is the author.
Men did the writing, recording, book binding, copying, distributing.

Where do they preach from?

They...preach from? Written word of God, Word in their Heart, wherever they be standing and a man listening.

At one time it was illegal to own a Bible.

Some men abide by corrupt man-made laws, others ignore.
I’m not accountable for what others do.

God Bless,
Taken

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
God is the author.
Men did the writing, recording, book binding, copying, distributing.

They...preach from? Written word of God, Word in their Heart, wherever they be standing and a man listening.

Some men abide by corrupt man-made laws, others ignore.
I’m not accountable for what others do.

God Bless,
Taken
@Taken I am reminded of Anne Steele's hymn:

FATHER of mercies, in Thy Word
What endless glory shines!
For ever be Thy name adored
For these celestial lines.

2 Here may the blind and hungry come,
And light and food receive;
Here shall the lowliest guest have room,
And taste and see and live.

3 Here springs of consolation rise
To cheer the fainting mind,
And thirsting souls receive supplies,
And sweet refreshment find.

4 Here the Redeemer’s welcome voice
Spreads heavenly peace around;
And life and everlasting joys
Attend the blissful sound.

5 O may these heavenly pages be
My ever dear delight;
And still new beauties may I see,
And still increasing light.

6 Divine instructor, gracious Lord,
Be Thou for ever near:
Teach me to love Thy sacred Word,
And view my Saviour there.

Anne Steele, 1717-78

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

God is not confined to a book.
God is omnipresent.
....IN Christ...Christ IN you....you are not a book, the universe is not a book. :)

Books are written EVIDENCE.
EVIDENCE, is for validation, verification, judgement (ie. positive and negative) and sentencing (ie. Also positive and negative).

God Bless,
Taken

Reactions: Blue Dragonfly's