men hear themselves

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
men hear themselves, but who hears the Lord? there may be those who say the bible is it, but there are many that read it and still don't hear, because they listen to themselves when they read it. so who listens to the Word of the Lord God of Israel?

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
men hear themselves, but who hears the Lord? there may be those who say the bible is it, but there are many that read it and still don't hear, because they listen to themselves when they read it. so who listens to the Word of the Lord God of Israel?

Yes if one isn't expecting to hear God one won't, but if one isn't even going through the motion of reading the bible or listening to sermons then one is even more unlikely to hear God.

We have to be humble, expecting God's word to challenge us.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes if one isn't expecting to hear God one won't, but if one isn't even going through the motion of reading the bible or listening to sermons then one is even more unlikely to hear God.

We have to be humble, expecting God's word to challenge us.

you can read the bible, you can hear sermons, many do, and never know anything but their own thoughts on the matter, but God doesn't speak to those who don't listen to Him. simple as that.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
i have only heard Word like maybe twice--or at least less than 5 times, for sure--in my life, and being a poor listener, i guess i can witness that what you say is true, regardless of whether we define Word the same or not right now

Reactions: Helen

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My experience is...when God speaks directly to you...you are so awed and humble
any bozo would pretty much fall over in shock and then reverence.

Now why God spoke to, say, Noah...or me...or the guy next to me and not
someone else might be another subject....why do certain people get picked ?
Are they more pathetic and only God speaking to them could help them? Ha!
Or do they have such good hearts God just loves to help them come even
closer to Him?
There may be 100 reasons we can't fathom.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
you can read the bible, you can hear sermons, many do, and never know anything but their own thoughts on the matter, but God doesn't speak to those who don't listen to Him. simple as that.

Yes and no, to those who have no desire to hear God, he doesn,t speak.

But he does speak to those who have no interest, it is part of the process by which he saves souls.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
men hear themselves, but who hears the Lord? there may be those who say the bible is it, but there are many that read it and still don't hear, because they listen to themselves when they read it.

God speaks to us all differently and who are you to say that God hasn't spoken to them?

Reactions: bbyrd009

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God speaks to us all differently and who are you to say that God hasn't spoken to them?

really? God is the same yesterday today and tomorrow, and there is only One Way to know Him which through Jesus Christ. so tell us how many different ways it is for you.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes and no, to those who have no desire to hear God, he doesn,t speak.

But he does speak to those who have no interest, it is part of the process by which he saves souls.

well faith comes by hearing correct?

Rom_10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

but if you notice since Jesus came in to the world, in the case of the Word going through out the world, its been through men, and not some execution of power like bringing millions of souls out of Egypt in Moses' day. He speaks to the world constantly but only the believer hears, and the rest hear themselves and judge the Word of God for themselves. hence the message or Gospel has been put where men hear and listen.

but when Jesus returns that message of men to men will be over.

Last edited:

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I believe that God speaks all the time.
Well more like...He spoke... and what we hear, when we hear...is what He has spoken outside of time.

I believe that He is always calling His Bride...and then, an ear gets 'opened' and the person can hear.
It is God which opens the ear. The same as it is God who opens the eyes.
We can take the story of Dothan...Elisha says " Lord open the young mans eyes that he may see.." Elisha could obviously 'see' in and through the Spirit..he didn't need to see more that what he could already see
'by faith' . I believe it is similar with hearing. We hear when we get quiet enough to hear the whisper of The Spirit. ( much like Elisha's seeing)
Yet we all know that there are also times when God seems to jump right onto our life and speaks quickened amazing things directly to us. Those times are not as frequent and seem to be a time of a special anointing.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
really? God is the same yesterday today and tomorrow, and there is only One Way to know Him which through Jesus Christ. so tell us how many different ways it is for you.

There is only one way and that way is through Jesus.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
well faith comes by hearing correct?

but if you notice since Jesus came in to the world, in the case of the Word going through out the world, its been through men, and not some execution of power like bringing millions of souls out of Egypt in Moses' day. He speaks to the world constantly but only the believer hears, and the rest hear themselves and judge the Word of God for themselves. hence the message or Gospel has been put where men hear and listen.

but when Jesus returns that message of men to men will be over.

Untill then we have to be salt and light to a corupt and dark society.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Is there any point to an athiest reading the bible?

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
If it brings them to saving faith then yes, there is every point.

But will it ever happen?, does reading it as part of religious studies or to prove something about yourself ever actually lead to saving faith?

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My experience is...when God speaks directly to you...you are so awed and humble
any bozo would pretty much fall over in shock and then reverence.

Now why God spoke to, say, Noah...or me...or the guy next to me and not
someone else might be another subject....why do certain people get picked ?
Are they more pathetic and only God speaking to them could help them? Ha!
Or do they have such good hearts God just loves to help them come even
closer to Him?
There may be 100 reasons we can't fathom.

I tend to think the answer is found within the listener

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Hepburn

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But will it ever happen?, does reading it as part of religious studies or to prove something about yourself ever actually lead to saving faith?

no different then hearing some one preach on the street corner every day on his way to work.

if one reads the bible the Lord can reveal, if one hears Billy Gramm the Lord can reveal. if the Lord don't reveal, the soul never really hears no matter how much he reads or hears. its as in the Lord Jesus' description of see without seeing, and hear without hearing.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
no different then hearing some one preach on the street corner every day on his way to work.

if one reads the bible the Lord can reveal, if one hears Billy Gramm the Lord can reveal. if the Lord don't reveal, the soul never really hears no matter how much he reads or hears. its as in the Lord Jesus' description of see without seeing, and hear without hearing.

In this case I don't think encouraging an athiest to read the whole bible is any benefit to them. It would be better to keep the subjects of discussion focused on salvation. And to focus on bible verses that challange erroneous preconceptions. This way you do not add to confusion.

Reactions: GodsGrace

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In this case I don't think encouraging an athiest to read the whole bible is any benefit to them. It would be better to keep the subjects of discussion focused on salvation. And to focus on bible verses that challange erroneous preconceptions. This way you do not add to confusion.

that depends on what it is they want to know, scripture has been used for many things by those that have no interest in salvation.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

If you mean will someone be saved by only reading the scripture. I think not, but how many people with an interest in spiritual things, only read the bible.
Most if they are interested talk to people, read other books, blogs etc and attend church services.