More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Andy Griffith was said to be a Christian --and I can believe that he was-- but his character in Spy Hard (1996) had to utter G*D*, at least, once.

I can justify vulgarities in certain settings (like in the military), but I could never find a justification for taking God's Name in vain under any circumstances. That would be a conflict for me.

Similarly, I can acknowledge the names of the constellations (even those in the Zodiac), but I will not promote astrology. Astrology is a mainstay for tattoo artists.
So who does your avatar represent? :)

And do you know if a similar design has made it to being a tattoo for someone?

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So who does your avatar represent?
It is supposed to be a Spiritual representative of me. The Ephesian arms/armor are standard to the point of being a uniform, but I believe that the concept of "many members, but one Body" can be represented in what is currently known as Military Occupational Specialties. In Biblical times, one might, additionally, be an archer, stone-slinger, etc.

My MOS is "sharpshooter" and I carry a rifle-level blowgun. Sabertooth is my nom de guerre. Instead of toxic darts (used with natural blowguns), I frequently have the gift of Word of Wisdom (and I am not talking about my own wisdom).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is supposed to be a Spiritual representative of me. The Ephesian arms/armor are standard to the point of being a uniform, but I believe that the concept of "many members, but one Body" can be represented in what is currently known as Military Occupational Specialties. In Biblical times, one might, additionally, be an archer, stone-slinger, etc.

My MOS is "sharpshooter" and I carry a rifle-level blowgun. Sabertooth is my nom de guerre. Instead of toxic darts (used with natural blowguns), I frequently have the gift of Word of Wisdom (and I am not talking about my own wisdom).
I do indeed love the passage about the whole armour of God (Ephesians 6).

So the figure in the avatar is a guy, then? I wondered at first if it was of a warrior woman, but maybe I was mistaken.

I think it would make a good tattoo design, anyway...

Reactions: Sabertooth

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
She moved out of the area. She might have a tattoo. I think she has a nose ring, too.
Well, it's what women do now.

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

As regards the sheer prevalence of the demand for tattoo services, this is the reason for the poll, really, if you see the logic.

Sabertooth

Sep 17, 2019
Northern Wisconsin
transcendiary.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: Tattoos don't grow on trees, so to speak; someone has to ink them in.
I agree, but I think that tattoo artists will run into the same dilemma that actors run into. They have to ask themselves, "Do I compromise my content in order to stay in business, or do I keep a clear conscience at the expense of steady work?" I am skeptical that a tattoo artist who refuses to do occult, morbid or lewd images will be able to stay in business.

I imagine they could diversify into other bodily services, like manicures, pedicures, body hair removal, piercings, etc. or other graphic arts endeavors, but conscientious tattoo art, alone, will be self-limiting.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
it really does look complete just like I have it. .. So glad I got it.
@Mayflower Thinking also of the picture of the guy in church that you uploaded, it's also way beyond ppl who are or have been rock musicians or bikers that have it done: conservative, God fearing, churchgoing people (especially women).

While I suppose an old fashioned view of tattoos is that their purpose is to shock and disturb, yet so widely now having it done is viewed also as something gracious and enhancing. I guess this is why the poll investigates whether ppl think there's such a potential for Christians working in the tattoo industry.

aa4a1e4f537f14bc1c9ee64b231e7aa6--psalms--tattoo-fall-tattoo.jpg
pinterest dot com

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I can see how a tattoo of some deeply religious symbol or image might be an effective reminder of one's commitment to Christ ...
One of the churches I go to has three quite elderly women, all widows, who recently went out and got themselves tattoos.
@shnarkle It used to be a man thing but now it's also become such a womanly thing to do and so many Christian women have it done and age is no barrier.

grinnurse said:
I have 4. .. They are usually great conversation starters with old and young alike. If I have a patient with tattoos I always comment and then they want to see .. In the hospital that I work at you would be hard pressed to find employees without tattoos.. We even have significantly older nurses that .. have tattoos.
allnurses dot com

Although it used to be such a man thing - and still is - it's also especially identified with demographics of women such as nurses, members of military families, etc.

GillDouglas said:
My wife has talked about this possibility, but she has said she'd have a hard time deciding what to put permanently on her body. She has been urged by other military spouses to get one.
christianforums dot com

Because it's such a womanly thing to do now and age is truly no barrier, in some areas tattoo artists report that most clients are actually older people. FYI, I saw this report in Huffington Post:

' "...Most of my clients are in the older bracket," Gallo-Kohlas told The Huffington Post. "We see a lot of women in their sixties and seventies getting their first tattoos." Gallo-Kohlas recalls a woman in her sixties who got a tattoo because everyone in the golf clique at her gated community had one. It seemed like the thing to do in order to fit in.'
Many Women Get Tattoos Post 50 ? And Don't Regret It Later huffington post

Such is the demand for tattoo services, I guess this is part of the rationale for the poll, for consideration whether it's an industry with a scope for a lot of work including for faith based designs (if you follow the logic?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I imagine they could diversify into other bodily services, like manicures, pedicures, body hair removal, piercings, etc. or other graphic arts endeavors...
@Sabertooth Yes, a lot of parlors offer piercing services as well. One option would be for someone with artistic skill in tattooing to train also for APP piercing certification and do both piercing and take some tattoo commissions, whether 50/50 or as a sideline.

Often the heavy demand for inking goes hand in hand with a heavy demand for piercing services....

I think she has a nose ring, too.
... like you said.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Re.
SovereignGrace said:
last year she got two tats the same day. One is ‘faith’ and ‘believe’.
@SovereignGrace Some ppl's pain tolerance is pretty well developed. Many women are rather tough when it comes to pain tolerance, not least when with something that's now very womanly to do.

Hence also the poll discussion about the sheer scope for work in this area, anticipating the sort of tattoo themes that really interested your wife.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes. She had a heart with butterfly wings on her left leg before we started dating.
@SovereignGrace Not unusual any more; if a guy is determined to date only the inkless, he might have a long wait in many cases...! In so many cases, these days the presence of ink is simply all part of being a woman now.

(Hence the poll and discussion about the potentials for work in the industry, amidst expectations of interest in faith designs.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Honestly I really dislike a lot of tattoos on people. I saw a women today that had tattoos all the way down both legs
@aspen I guess this is all quite subjective, right? For example, would you have disliked the same ink if it was on a man in the same placement?

(I guess it goes to show just how prevalent the demand for ink services is; hence the poll and discussion, maybe...)