More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
..ear piercings, if it's a girl understandable, but I don't understand guys doing it ...
@Josho Think of it with a girl who is growing up and because she is growing up she fairly naturally wants to have her earlobes studded. It's the same with a young man, really: wanting it because he's growing up. Same with wanting ink at reaching 18 or thereabouts; it's all linked with the person growing up. (If any of this makes sense? I know you were saying you didn't quite understand.)

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower Would you yourself clearly, then, be quite a firm supporter of the tattoo industry, really?

mmmm in some regards. I do not like tattoos that are monsters/demons/etc. Then one time this person admitted to me they regretted getting so many. It was a reflecting a sad time in his life and he was covered in them.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
mmmm in some regards. I do not like tattoos that are monsters/demons/etc. Then one time this person admitted to me they regretted getting so many. It was a reflecting a sad time in his life and he was covered in them.
@Mayflower Good point! Indeed, this something to consider; some of them bring regret, yes.

I guess my question was more basically, So you do support tattoo services made available by the industry?

(The industry has been growing and progressing in recent years.)

Reactions: Mayflower

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Mayflower Good point! Indeed, this something to consider; some of them bring regret, yes.

I guess my question was more basically, So you do support tattoo services made available by the industry?

(The industry has been growing and progressing in recent years.)

Like I said, I have mixed feelings about it. I am grateful to have my tattoo, but I doubt too many get tattoos with meaning.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Do you happen to know if they commented at all about their motivation? because it's not unusual, even for older ppl now; and they might have simply thought it was the appropriate thing to do.
I don't recall exactly. I do no that part of it had to do with them advertising that they were hip for their age.

@shnarkle Seems maybe that they influenced each other to go do it together / round about the same time, perhaps. At 18 at any rate it's done substantially because it's the age to do it, while there may also be some peer pressure there also sometimes. I guess that the ppl you referred to showed that susceptibility to peer pressure (or maybe the term peer influence is more accurate?) can last a long time. But it really isn't unusual; it's done confidently.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
... one time this person admitted to me they regretted getting so many. It was a reflecting a sad time in his life and he was covered in them.
@Mayflower Well, losing control and doing too much brings regret; staying in control so that the inking is permanently what you're likely to feel good about is really crucial.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It is widespread for everyone anymore, immigrant or not! I think just about everyone I see on a daily basis has, at the very least one tattoo. I do not see anything wrong with it but, it's just not my thing...
Yes, so often and so widely, people seem to make sure they do it, and then firmly move on...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think they have prettier tats.
I think that many years ago when it was basically a man only practitioner industry, some of the tattoos were so basic and roughly designed that women so often shrank from having it done. Now with a much higher general quality of design, and with women participating in the industry as artists, a lot of artistic flair has been added to the industry, inking has been made womanly in a decisive way, and consequently many women are wholeheartedly confident to receive it at the hand of trusted inkers. As the ink documentaries prove.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@shnarkle Seems maybe that they influenced each other to go do it together / round about the same time, perhaps. At 18 at any rate it's done substantially because it's the age to do it, while there may also be some peer pressure there also sometimes. I guess that the ppl you referred to showed that susceptibility to peer pressure (or maybe the term peer influence is more accurate?) can last a long time. But it really isn't unusual; it's done confidently.

I think peer pressure is an apt description, but they see it as something that unites them, and solidifies them as a group, community, etc. It's a symbolic gesture with no real significance beyond the symbol itself. To the missionary working in some jungle building sanitation systems, digging wells, etc., the tattoo is a trivial reminder, whereas the Christian working to justify their own existence views it as something of merit in itself. The act of getting the tattoos and wearing them is what is important to them.

The thing to note here is that with the former it is no more than a trivial gesture, while the latter is viewing this as validating who they are. It is a blatant contradiction to Christ's own words. The only validation is the fruit produced, and tattoos are not fruit.

Let me give an example. A pastor I used to know was doing work on a roof. There were other people involved and someone flipped the latch on the extension ladder so that when the pastor stepped onto it, it began plummeting with him to the ground. He came down on his right hand which immediately sent that bone between the elbow and the hand out into the dirt. He had a tattoo placed over the scar that said something like "This too shall pass". I don't remember exactly what it was, but I think that might have been it. Anyways, it was a small reminder of what he had been through as he was serving others. it wasn't a badge of honor validating his life as a Christian. That's the difference.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that many years ago when it was basically a man only practitioner industry, some of the tattoos were so basic and roughly designed that women so often shrank from having it done. Now with a much higher general quality of design, and with women participating in the industry as artists, a lot of artistic flair has been added to the industry, inking has been made womanly in a decisive way, and consequently many women are wholeheartedly confident to receive it at the hand of trusted inkers. As the ink documentaries prove.

I've noticed on Ink Master that the judges do not accept unbordered tats. They want a line around the image like a coloring book. But I disagree. There was one artist that made tats look like a painting without bordering black lines. They were gorgeous - what an artist. The judges finally eliminated him because he wouldn't follow their rules about borders. Old tats all had very thick borders. That is what probably women didn't like.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've noticed on Ink Master that the judges do not accept unbordered tats. They want a line around the image like a coloring book. But I disagree. There was one artist that made tats look like a painting without bordering black lines. They were gorgeous - what an artist. The judges finally eliminated him because he wouldn't follow their rules about borders. Old tats all had very thick borders. That is what probably women didn't like.
@CharismaticLady Very interesting; so I guess what you are saying is that even today a male way of looking at things is still more prevalent in the industry that it should be. Although tattooing has been made thoroughly womanly, yet sometimes the attempt is still made to force artists to use thicker lines than is strictly warranted by the artist's aesthetic sense.

(I think it mirrors the debate among cosmeticians about two tone lipstick, i.e., whether outer, thicker lines are necessary; I could find a picture to illustrate, I suppose.)

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@CharismaticLady Very interesting; so I guess what you are saying is that even today a male way of looking at things is still more prevalent in the industry that it should be. Although tattooing has been made thoroughly womanly, yet sometimes the attempt is still made to force artists to use thicker lines than is strictly warranted by the artist's aesthetic sense.

(I think it mirrors the debate among cosmeticians about two tone lipstick, i.e., whether outer, thicker lines are necessary; I could find a picture to illustrate, I suppose.)

No need. I'm a woman so know all about outlining lips! :D

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No need. I'm a woman so know all about outlining lips! :D
Okay! but you see the point; not everyone feels it's necessary to have dark outlining for lips. So I see what you mean about tattoo artists being pressured to use thicker lines. Women artists need to be able to pursue their own vision of what womanly tattooing is, without men telling them what's necessary.