Overstimulation

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heb 13:8

Nov 2, 2016
USA
How does one control their zeal for Christ and the Gospel, via preaching/teaching/worshiping.

Reactions: Nancy

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am watching this space. :)

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember when Moses smote the rock instead of simply speaking to it?

"Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink." Num 20:8

"And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also." Num 20:11

Psa 78:20 Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?

Moses was excluded from the Promised Land because in his zeal he went ahead of or beyond God's Word.

Should we lead God or should we follow Him obediently?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember when Moses smote the rock instead of simply speaking to it?

"Take the rod, and gather thou the assembly together, thou, and Aaron thy brother, and speak ye unto the rock before their eyes; and it shall give forth his water, and thou shalt bring forth to them water out of the rock: so thou shalt give the congregation and their beasts drink." Num 20:8

"And Moses lifted up his hand, and with his rod he smote the rock twice: and the water came out abundantly, and the congregation drank, and their beasts also." Num 20:11

Psa 78:20 Behold, he smote the rock, that the waters gushed out, and the streams overflowed; can he give bread also? can he provide flesh for his people?

Moses was excluded from the Promised Land because in his zeal he went ahead of or beyond God's Word.

Should we lead God or should we follow Him obediently?

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God: for with God all things are possible." Mark 10:27

I suppose. I think yours and Nancy's posts blend together in this: That all things must be led by the Spirit. When the Spirit of God wells up within us, what He would have us do cannot be contained. Yet we must be careful to make sure we are not actually being driven by the passions and desires of the flesh, especially anger, for if these are motivating us rather than God we will be sinning.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
By actually "loving" those you are speaking with more than you love preaching. (Think about it. It is kind of profound and ties in with the post above this one.)

Amen...
All the post here are really good..great reading...and nice refreshing Thread
@Heb 13:8

I think the same can even go for prayer too. How many wasted hours to people spend in "prayer meetings" talking to the walls and not lead at all by the Holy Spirit? When He anoints and leads, prayers get answers.
I remember a long while back now..being in a dead 'prayer meeting'.
After 30 mins of people rambling on about auntie's cousin's daughters mother in laws big toe ache. I stood up and said- " Well I am bored to death, and I am sure the Holy Spirit left ages ago, because no one has bothered to WAIT for Him to lead us or anoint us to pray...why don't we just have 15 mins of real worship and go home!!"
Needless to say, even my husband was looking at the floor. :oops:
The lead pastor came up to me chuckling, and I told him that I honestly did not plan that...I was up and out of my seat before I even knew it myself!!

As has already been said in the posts here...without the leading of God's Spirit, in ALL that we do, we are left with nothing more than dead religion! .

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen...
All the post here are really good..great reading...and nice refreshing Thread
@Heb 13:8

I think the same can even go for prayer too. How many wasted hours to people spend in "prayer meetings" talking to the walls and not lead at all by the Holy Spirit? When He anoints and leads, prayers get answers.
I remember a long while back now..being in a dead 'prayer meeting'.
After 30 mins of people rambling on about auntie's cousin's daughters mother in laws big toe ache. I stood up and said- " Well I am bored to death, and I am sure the Holy Spirit left ages ago, because no one has bothered to WAIT for Him to lead us or anoint us to pray...why don't we just have 15 mins of real worship and go home!!"
Needless to say, even my husband was looking at the floor. :oops:
The lead pastor came up to me chuckling, and I told him that I honestly did not plan that...I was up and out of my seat before I even knew it myself!!

As has already been said in the posts here...without the leading of God's Spirit, in ALL that we do, we are left with nothing more than dead religion! .

"- " Well I am bored to death, and I am sure the Holy Spirit left ages ago, because no one has bothered to WAIT for Him to lead us or anoint us to pray...why don't we just have 15 mins of real worship and go home!!"
Hahahaha,good for you!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yeah. "Hyped" prayer meetings can be a very good example of what the OP is talking about. I've attended a Hispanic church for some time off and on with my wife, and they can have some tremendous prayer meetings when the Spirit of God is present and moving. But boy is it a loud, bellowing mess when He is not. Just a lot of caterwauling and shouting, with no power in it at all. Volume is not necessarily synonymous with power.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But a ban on even female ANIMALS? Are these sick monks overly fascinated with animal's mating process?

Like our old pastor used to say..God took the children of Israel out of Egypt but He could not take the 'Egypt' out of Israel...they brought it with them, in them.

Back in the 70's we joined a movement which taught "getting out of Babylon" along with other stuff ...we were very enthusiastic. We "jumped in" with both feet. We sold everything ( really) and we moved north to the wilderness of Canada into community. It didn't take long to learn to use an outhouse -40 was really fun!!!!
It didn't take long to get used to no machinery. But we soon learned ...cutting off all outside influence, no TV, Radio, entertainment , pretty clothes , etc etc..did not make us any more holy...the lusts for the 'leeks and garlic' is still there....because we were still there.
There was backbiting, bitterness, craziness, ( afterward we also heard that the same old stuff was there...child molestation, even rape, !!!!!) it was still there.
Yet it was the most legalistic group that we ever came in contact with.
We lasted one year, then left them.

Try as they may, those priest given the opportunity, are no different than the man in the street. Cutting off the physical does not change the inside.
That is the work of The Holy Spirit..total yielding to the power of His life...for our life won't cut it.
But you know this...lol

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Like our old pastor used to say..God took the children of Israel out of Egypt but He could not take the 'Egypt' out of Israel...they brought it with them, in them.

Back in the 70's we joined a movement which taught "getting out of Babylon" along with other stuff ...we were very enthusiastic. We "jumped in" with both feet. We sold everything ( really) and we moved north to the wilderness of Canada into community. It didn't take long to learn to use an outhouse -40 was really fun!!!!
It didn't take long to get used to no machinery. But we soon learned ...cutting off all outside influence, no TV, Radio, entertainment , pretty clothes , etc etc..did not make us any more holy...the lusts for the 'leeks and garlic' is still there....because we were still there.
There was backbiting, bitterness, craziness, ( afterward we also heard that the same old stuff was there...child molestation, even rape, !!!!!) it was still there.
Yet it was the most legalistic group that we ever came in contact with.
We lasted one year, then left them.

Try as they may, those priest given the opportunity, are no different than the man in the street. Cutting off the physical does not change the inside.
That is the work of The Holy Spirit..total yielding to the power of His life...for our life won't cut it.
But you know this...lol
Were you a Brighton Millerite? :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Were you a Brighton Millerite? :)

I had to look that up...I'd never heard of it!! :D
Maybe you didn't come across "the wave" of community living in the 70's.
'Opt out of the rat race of life...' "Get away from the beast system."
...and all that stuff...
Trouble is, those at the top of the heap were all dominant legalists.
They almost dictated what type of toilet paper people had!!!

As you can guess, I was a trouble maker and in the end I told them that their god was not my God. So we packed and left....but they hated people leaving.
Oh well, I can now say I was in a cult. ..I have never been one to 'toe the party line'.. a person needs to be so if they are going to buckle down under the cult mentality.
I have no regrets, ...in God, all experiences are for our learning something and growing in the Lord. :)