Pence's VP?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I've been contemplating this, and want to know what you all think. In the event the unthinkable happened to DJT and Pence was forced to be elevated to the presidency, this would lead to a vacancy in the position of the vice presidency. Constitutionally, Mike Pence would then be able to nominate someone who would then require confirmation by both houses of Congress.

I'm actually really torn if he would actually take this step or not. On one hand, it's so close to the election anyhow that it might seem like a totally moot point, and would make quick confirmation of a prospective VP quite difficult in such a short time. On the other hand, if he opted not to do so, it would leave Nancy Pelosi as next in line for the presidency, and I don't see anyone in the GOP being able to stomach that notion for even just a moment.

Any thoughts about what could happen in such a scenario?

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've been contemplating this, and want to know what you all think. In the event the unthinkable happened to DJT and Pence was forced to be elevated to the presidency, this would lead to a vacancy in the position of the vice presidency. Constitutionally, Mike Pence would then be able to nominate someone who would then require confirmation by both houses of Congress.

I'm actually really torn if he would actually take this step or not. On one hand, it's so close to the election anyhow that it might seem like a totally moot point, and would make quick confirmation of a prospective VP quite difficult in such a short time. On the other hand, if he opted not to do so, it would leave Nancy Pelosi as next in line for the presidency, and I don't see anyone in the GOP being able to stomach that notion for even just a moment.

If Pence became President before the election, the Republican Party would modify their ticket -- probably with Pence as their candidate for President and someone else for VP.

Something similar happened in 1972 when Tom Eagleton had been nominated by the Democrats. Then the news came out about his depression which had been so severe he had electroshock therapy.

Thomas Eagleton - Wikipedia

On July 25, 1972, just over two weeks after the 1972 Democratic Convention, Eagleton admitted the truth of news reports that he had received electroshock therapy for clinical depression during the 1960s. McGovern initially said he would back Eagleton "1000 percent". Subsequently, McGovern consulted confidentially with preeminent psychiatrists, including Eagleton's own doctors, who advised him that a recurrence of Eagleton's depression was possible and could endanger the country should Eagleton become president. On August 1, nineteen days after being nominated, Eagleton withdrew at McGovern's request and, after a new search by McGovern, Thomas Eagleton was replaced by Sargent Shriver, former U.S. Ambassador to France, and former (founding) Director of the Peace Corps and the Office of Economic Opportunity.

A Time poll taken at the time found that 77 percent of the respondents said "Eagleton's medical record would not affect their vote." Nonetheless, the press made frequent references to his 'shock therapy', and McGovern feared that this would detract from his campaign platform.

McGovern's failure to thoroughly vet Eagleton and his subsequent handling of the controversy gave occasion for the Republican campaign to raise serious questions about his judgment. In the general election, the Democratic ticket won only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia.
The situation would be different now since over a million people have already voted; and lots of ballots have already been mailed out. While it would be nice to be able to change the ballots, strictly speaking it wouldn't be necessary since we aren't actually voting for President but for the electors that represent the parties so if you already voted for Trump and Pence replaced him, your vote would automatically go to Pence and whoever the Republican Party replaced Pence with.

The scenario you described would be what would happen if Pence became President after the election.

It may be something Republicans should think about. I think Pence would stand a better chance of winning against Biden; and if Trump needs to be replaced, better for the Republicans to do it before the election when they would get to decide who the VP would be than wait because the House will likely be controlled by Democrats and the Senate could go either way.

Seven of Nine

Sep 28, 2020
North Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a political Independent, I think I could live with a President Pence. I can't stand the thought of four more years of Trump. That's one of the reasons why I'll probably vote for Biden, despite the fact that I normally vote Republican in a presidential election. I'm still undecided.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a political Independent, I think I could live with a President Pence. I can't stand the thought of four more years of Trump. That's one of the reasons why I'll probably vote for Biden, despite the fact that I normally vote Republican in a presidential election. I'm still undecided.
I can't see how Trump can win; I think Pence would have a much better shot since he's more believable.

I'm dawdling -- still haven't checked out the platform the Libertarian candidate is running on. She seems to have trouble making the news -- the biggest news so far was when she was bitten by a bat back in August. It sounds like she has a good sense of humor -- that would be a plus.

'I'm not Batman': Libertarian presidential candidate makes light of bat bite

How Jorgensen came into contact with the bat remains unknown, but that didn’t stop the Clemson University psychology lecturer from making light of the encounter.

Jorgensen relished Twitter’s comments on the incident referring to her as the DC Comics’ superhero Batgirl, replying directly to users’ quips with GIFs, wit and one-liners.

“You're supposed to get bitten by a radioactive spider, to gain super powers. Batman wasn't bitten by a bat,” one user said to Jorgensen.

“I'm not Batman,” Jorgensen replied with a winking face emoji.

Michael1985

Sep 30, 2020
British Columbia
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If Pence became President before the election, the Republican Party would modify their ticket -- probably with Pence as their candidate for President and someone else for VP.

Something similar happened in 1972 when Tom Eagleton had been nominated by the Democrats. Then the news came out about his depression which had been so severe he had electroshock therapy.

On July 25, 1972, just over two weeks after the 1972 Democratic Convention, Eagleton admitted the truth of news reports that he had received electroshock therapy for clinical depression during the 1960s. McGovern initially said he would back Eagleton "1000 percent". Subsequently, McGovern consulted confidentially with preeminent psychiatrists, including Eagleton's own doctors, who advised him that a recurrence of Eagleton's depression was possible and could endanger the country should Eagleton become president. On August 1, nineteen days after being nominated, Eagleton withdrew at McGovern's request and, after a new search by McGovern, Thomas Eagleton was replaced by Sargent Shriver, former U.S. Ambassador to France, and former (founding) Director of the Peace Corps and the Office of Economic Opportunity.

A Time poll taken at the time found that 77 percent of the respondents said "Eagleton's medical record would not affect their vote." Nonetheless, the press made frequent references to his 'shock therapy', and McGovern feared that this would detract from his campaign platform.

McGovern's failure to thoroughly vet Eagleton and his subsequent handling of the controversy gave occasion for the Republican campaign to raise serious questions about his judgment. In the general election, the Democratic ticket won only Massachusetts and the District of Columbia.
The situation would be different now since over a million people have already voted; and lots of ballots have already been mailed out. While it would be nice to be able to change the ballots, strictly speaking it wouldn't be necessary since we aren't actually voting for President but for the electors that represent the parties so if you already voted for Trump and Pence replaced him, your vote would automatically go to Pence and whoever the Republican Party replaced Pence with.

The scenario you described would be what would happen if Pence became President after the election.

It may be something Republicans should think about. I think Pence would stand a better chance of winning against Biden; and if Trump needs to be replaced, better for the Republicans to do it before the election when they would get to decide who the VP would be than wait because the House will likely be controlled by Democrats and the Senate could go either way.

Nothing in your post at all attempts to answer my question about whether Pence would nominate someone as a lame duck VP for the balance of the presidential term.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nothing in your post at all attempts to answer my question about whether Pence would nominate someone as a lame duck VP for the balance of the presidential term.
I didn't realize that was your major concern. I doubt Trump will resign or leave office first of all. Your question is highly theoretically. Secondly, I doubt Pence would be interested in nominating a VP to serve out a month or two -- it would be easier to let the office vacant. If he did nominate someone, it would be whoever the RNC nominated to run as Pence's replacement on the Republican ticket. It would probably not matter if he nominated anyone or if Congress voted on it. By the time they did that, the election would likely be over.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hilary? Then she can be blamed much more conveniently.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I hope he doesn't choose Hillary Clinton as his VP because I wouldn't politically support him if he did.

I really had to face my resistance to Hillary Clinton. I realized it was a product of the media and my double standard towards women running for office. Honestly, it was hard to face and admit to myself, but now I recognize it and, although she would not be my first or second choice, I would vote for Hillary.