Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
318e6c6a7514f913c68cf8ff2bf68a5f.jpg
I guess you don't like tattoos, period...

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I suppose when you first did ink, as a first ink experience, it must have felt like a definitely good adult decision that you were really in control of, right?

Oh yeh. But my husband got one with me. It was the only way. He has four now.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
...Some do take time in feeling led, while others become certain swiftly. And sometimes age is not a factor in this...spiritual maturity is.
Without doubt, a lot of young people - including some Christians - do it at around 18, as a coming of age thing. Do you find this inherently problematic? or would it be wiser to embrace the idea that it's done at around this age so often and that young Christians can usefully be pointed to the idea of getting something specifically faith based rather than just any ink because it's coming of age time?

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how did you mean, 'the only way'?

I didnt want to get one by myself. I never had been to a tattoo parlor. He was my protection from the very nice people I imagined would be tough motorcycle giants. Bahaha

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Brighton is a tourist hot spot, so we get loads of visitors, and many people like to get tattoos when they are away- my son always gets something added to his arm when he is away on holiday, he very seldom goes to Brighton to get anything done now.
Also Brighton is such a cultural mix - quite arty and quirky , and possibly ' weird ' !!! Lol
So have the summer tourists started arriving at Brighton this year yet?

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I got a tattoo back in '08. It's a cross on my forearm with a banner that has my daughter's names in it. It's the only one I have and I don't plan to get another one. That tattoo was rather painful.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I got a tattoo back in '08. It's a cross on my forearm with a banner that has my daughter's names in it. It's the only one I have and I don't plan to get another one. That tattoo was rather painful.
Interesting; so do you find that it has eased faith based conversations as a result of you having gotten it?

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting; so do you find that it has eased faith based conversations as a result of you having gotten it?

No, not really. I get compliments on the coloring of my tattoo, though - the artist did a really nice job on that. I have a cousin, who is a militant atheist, that finds my tattoo completely disgusting. On the other hand, he's disgusted that I went from atheism to Christianity LOL

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PS: Maybe your daughter is still too young for a tattoo; but does either Mrs. MetalMike or your daughter show any interest in eventually getting ink also?

My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot as a tribute to her aunt who died of brain cancer at a young age. My youngest daughter has no desire to get a tattoo. Both of my daughters are adults, by the way.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot as a tribute to her aunt who died of brain cancer at a young age. My youngest daughter has no desire to get a tattoo. Both of my daughters are adults, by the way.
Oh so it sounds like tattooed women are very much part of your household.

(To think it used to be a man thing, years ago; it certainly isn't just a man thing now.)

The OP quote says:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It's what women do, now; and it's what a lot of Christian women do now, as well as Christian men.

Sounds then like your wife and daughter accordingly got into tattoos very much as adults doing their own thing, and not remotely waiting to take the lead from you, right?