Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh so it sounds like tattooed women are very much part of your household.

(To think it used to be a man thing, years ago; it certainly isn't just a man thing now.)

The OP quote says:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

It's what women do, now; and it's what a lot of Christian women do now, as well as Christian men.

Sounds then like your wife and daughter accordingly got into tattoos very much as adults doing their own thing, and not remotely waiting to take the lead from you, right?

That's true - they had their tattoos before I ever got mine.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
That's true - they had their tattoos before I ever got mine.
Yes, I can understand the trend. Although years ago - especially among sailors, bikers, etc. - it used to be almost always a man thing to do; but this has changed hugely. It said somewhere that 55%-70% or more of parlor clients in North America are female; it's now also a very womanly thing to do; in fact, doing first ink for so many young women seems to be a lot to do with starting to express oneself as an adult woman. Whatever exactly it was about in your household, this is likely true for many, anyway, right?

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, I can understand the trend. Although years ago - especially among sailors, bikers, etc. - it used to be almost always a man thing to do; but this has changed hugely. It said somewhere that 55%-70% or more of parlor clients in North America are female; it's now also a very womanly thing to do; in fact, doing first ink for so many young women seems to be a lot to do with starting to express oneself as an adult woman. Whatever exactly it was about in your household, this is likely true for many, anyway, right?

In my oldest daughter's case, it was completely a matter of self-expression. My wife did hers as a tribute to her aunt since her aunt loved butterflies. They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine. I wasn't that interested in one at the time, and I wanted to do one that was meaningful and not one I would regret later.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I sure did! I just voted about 10 minutes ago.
Thanks for your vote! I see you prefer 26-40 as a sensible or more ideal age to do it for the first time. (Avoiding later regrets is indeed an issue which I'm sure a lot of 18 year old don't consider carefully enough.)

18 for first ink does seem to go with the idea of doing it as a coming of age thing.

Reactions: MetalMike

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your vote! I see you prefer 26-40 as a sensible or more ideal age to do it for the first time. (Avoiding later regrets is indeed an issue which I'm sure a lot of 18 year old don't consider carefully enough.)

18 for first ink does seem to go with the idea of doing it as a coming of age thing.

I was 37 when I got my first and only tattoo, so there may some bias in my vote LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In my oldest daughter's case, it was completely a matter of self-expression. My wife did hers as a tribute to her aunt since her aunt loved butterflies. They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine. I wasn't that interested in one at the time, and I wanted to do one that was meaningful and not one I would regret later.
Yes, now even more than with men, it seems that for women getting tattooed has long become established as an instinctively well preferred way of self-expression.

(In the final analysis, I suppose, not too different from ear piercing.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
If we close people out we have no opportunity to influence
Yes, for young women the tattoo parlor - not unlike a hairdresser's - is a natural environment now. An instinct for getting skin injected upon reaching adulthood seems to be natural and on the whole benign, so what your daughters wanted is hardly surprising or unusual.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no intention of getting another one. My cross tattoo will suffice. Besides that one hurt! LOL

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was 37 when I got my first and only tattoo, so there may some bias in my vote LOL
Maybe so!

Seems anyway that 18 has become an especially popular age to do it for the first (and sometimes the only) time.

I guess for those who do it then, it's all to do with coming of age.

Even though some states allow it at 16, it's probably far wiser to wait until 18, and I guess there is some merit in parents promoting the idea of any desired ink to soon-to-be-18-year olds as a coming of age thing, so that the young man or woman can spend serious time planning it, to avoid the possibility of later regrets.

(Thanks for participating in the vote, anyway!)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I have no intention of getting another one. My cross tattoo will suffice. Besides that one hurt! LOL
My wife and I talked to a young woman with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also. I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to endure the ink injecting needles. (I guess for faith based ink, the phrase: "No pain, no gain" can also apply...if this makes sense?)

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife and I talked to a young woman with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also. I'm sure that other conversations have also arisen as a result of her willingness to endure the ink injecting needles. (I guess for faith based ink, the phrase: "No pain, no gain" can also apply...if this makes sense?)

It makes sense. At this point in my life, though, I'm getting closer to 50 and getting another tattoo at this stage in my life isn't for me.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It makes sense. At this point in my life, though, I'm getting closer to 50 and getting another tattoo at this stage in my life isn't for me.
I take your word for it that your inking days are done now!

The young lady that my wife and I spoke to actually seemed quite shy; but as well there seemed to be a conviction there about the inked Scripture (John 3.16) she had clearly deliberately chosen to have pumped into her dermis. For a young person embarking on life, one can see how the planning and the carrying out of such a faith tattoo plan could be an immensely joyful experience, offering the opportunity for many times of witness to others.

My guess would be that for her the joy of doing it greatly exceeded the pain of it. (If this rings true?)