Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
They had their tattoos for a few years before I got mine.
Well, this is maybe not surprising, is it? While it used to be overwhelmingly a man thing to do (sailors, bikers), yet apparently now 55%-70% or more of parlor clients in North America are female, and it's evidently become a very womanly thing that women naturally do, so I guess the way it went in your family was not surprising, was it?

Laish

Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Laish PS: Did you vote in this poll? :)
Yes I voted . I would suggest that a person should wait until they are mature enough to realize that for the most part a tat is permanent. So I will guess that most folks should be around 30 when life’s wisdom kicks in. So I voted 26-40 .
Blessings
Bill

Laish

Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks to all who voted so far in the poll!

If you have not yet voted in the poll, please vote now! :)
Yep do it the Chicago style. Vote early and often. LOL
Blessings
Bill

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I voted . I would suggest that a person should wait until they are mature enough to realize that for the most part a tat is permanent. So I will guess that most folks should be around 30 when life’s wisdom kicks in. So I voted 26-40 .
Blessings
Bill
Thanks for your vote and comment! I guess you might say that age was a factor in your own tattoo regret. And I can understand your reasoning, in your post. But I guess also for a young Christian who is already a believer at around 18, the first tattoo in a faith based design can also make sense. (My wife and I talked to a young lady of around 18-20 with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm guessing it has led to many conversations. I'm guessing also that she has not regretted it one bit. If this makes sense?)

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A design I got on my arm years ago soon faded; wasn't a success. But when ppl use careful discretion for a faith based one (Bible text, Christian fish sign <><, etc.) it can prove to be a conversation-starting success.

Yes I did. God has various ways to draw His elect to Himself. Now, they are all centered and grounded upon scripture, but He does have ways that are way beyond our comprehension

FYI...I voted 26-40. I FINALLY voted!!!

#Yaaaaaay

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I did. God has various ways to draw His elect to Himself. Now, they are all centered and grounded upon scripture, but He does have ways that are way beyond our comprehension

FYI...I voted 26-40. I FINALLY voted!!!

#Yaaaaaay
A lot of younger people do it now; I saw this quote - also in the OP - :

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

Although it was once a man thing (sailors, bikers), it's clearly now become also a highly womanly thing to do, hasn't it?

(Thanks for your vote also!)

Reactions: SovereignGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes. She had a heart with butterfly wings on her left leg before we started dating.
Seems like she had already made it a personal means of expression even before you arrived on the scene, so to speak; and the fact that you said she received more ink recently shows very much that, whereas it was once nearly always a man thing, it's for a long time now been very much a widely sought after means of expression by women when they are both young adults and more mature adults.

In some ways I wish more Christians worked as tattoo artists; there's such a demand and potential for faith based designs, which are proven effective in conversation. (Does this seem logical?)

Last edited:
Reactions: SovereignGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes. :) I still think extensive tattooing is pretty ugly, though. Not a spiritual objection--merely an aesthetic one. LOL
A lot of Christians with tattoos might well agree; sometimes the tattooing among Christians is not extensive; but simply one among various witness tools. (I expect you saw the OP quote also?)

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I know many girls about the ago of 18 that are having this done.
Little hearts, flowers, initials -- stuff like that.

The big change I DO see is that PARENTS are more open to it.
When the generation after me was growing up, their parents (my generation) were not too thrilled to hear that a girl or a boy wanted a tattoo,,,especially a girl.
Today it's accepted - even at a younger age than 18. The parents see nothing particularly wrong with it.
GodGrace:

Yes, now at 18 both young men and young women do it, and their parents virtually anticipate that they will do it also (for young women as well, parents would now tend to recognize it as a womanly coming of age thing).

One big spin-off from this is the huge potential for faith based designs.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well aren't Christians supposed to be the most broadminded of people?
Quite the opposite. "The strait gate and the narrow way are for Christians. I am simply amazed that there are over 2700 views about this tattoos thread (which in my narrow-minded opinion should have simply been ignored).

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Quite the opposite. "The strait gate and the narrow way are for Christians. I am simply amazed that there are over 2700 views about this tattoos thread (which in my narrow-minded opinion should have simply been ignored).
I'm sorry I disagree. I believe as Christians we should be tolerant of people who do not believe as we do. We aren't supposed to judge but we are supposed to love our neighbours as ourselves. As a Christian I have high standards for myself but I can't expect unbelievers to have those same standards and so I must, like Jesus did, meet them where they're at right now, and in whatever circumstances they happen to be living. Just as Jesus would have done. He didn't expect people to clean up their act before he would have anything to do with them. It's that sort of attitude that is so wrong in today's church.