Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I guess I meant 'skin's pain tolerance'...

Did you try clicking on 'change your vote', above? (Multiple votes are possible.)
Yeah F, I know what you mean!

Let me try again...
Wait. Why should I change my vote?
I voted the right way the first time???

Reactions: farouk

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have any of your friends ever explained to you the motivation to use ink in this way in witness? because it's very widespread among Christians now.
At least it is widespread among people who call themselves Christians, but how many bearing that label have really put first things first in the order that God would prescribe them?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

No matter what a person has printed by any means on the outside of his/her body, if God in not first in his/her heart on the inside, the whole imprinted mess is in vain, is it not?

At least in part because I abused my skin by not properly protecting a lack of protection from the sun and further abused it with heavy saturation of cement [in my employment], I have already suffered from a serious skin cancer [melanoma] requiring minor surgery.

Can we be certain that the purposeful introduction of a foreign substance such as ink will not eventually do something just as bad or worse to our bodies of flesh?

We are not our own [we are only stewards of our bodies on behalf of the owner: God], so should we take it upon ourselves to unnecessarily corrupt the natural covering God has provided?

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." I Cor 3:16-17

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" I Cor 6:19

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
At least it is widespread among people who call themselves Christians, but how many bearing that label have really put first things first in the order that God would prescribe them?

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matt 6:33

No matter what a person has printed by any means on the outside of his/her body, if God in not first in his/her heart on the inside, the whole imprinted mess is in vain, is it not?

At least in part because I abused my skin by not properly protecting a lack of protection from the sun and further abused it with heavy saturation of cement [in my employment], I have already suffered from a serious skin cancer [melanoma] requiring minor surgery.

Can we be certain that the purposeful introduction of a foreign substance such as ink will not eventually do something just as bad or worse to our bodies of flesh?

We are not our own [we are only stewards of our bodies on behalf of the owner: God], so should we take it upon ourselves to unnecessarily corrupt the natural covering God has provided?

"Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?
If any man defile the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is holy, which temple ye are." I Cor 3:16-17

"What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?" I Cor 6:19
Thank-you for your comments; there is also the question of motive and effectiveness, which would factor into the thinking of the many young ppl who get faith based tattoos which are very effective bridge building conversation-starters with other young ppl.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank-you for your comments; there is also the question of motive and effectiveness, which would factor into the thinking of the many young ppl who get faith based tattoos which are very effective bridge building conversation-starters with other young ppl.
In what was the motive of the people here?

"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." Gen 11:4

They failed to do something that is always important... check with God first:

"And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." Gen 11:6

Do we imagine that it will please God to defile our flesh without knowledge that it is His will for us to do so?
What is the will of God?

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:40

Would we presume to mark our bodies as if we knew it were God's will to do so? Where does God give His approval to such presumption?

What's done is done, but when we already know God and know we need to be following His lead, is it not best to first know which Way He is leading us?

Jesus would have walked on alone if none were willing to do things God's Way:

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" John 6:66-67

If we doubt our ability to attract people to Jesus by our lives, why do we presume that corrupting the physical body needlessly which God gave us to take care of without His consent will do it better? If you must display something write it on your clothing or on a sign made from paper. Leave the temple of God alone!

We could also choose to go into the nearest barroom and get drunk with ones gathered there in order to make conversation with about God easier, but would that be God's will?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
obviously I do sit on the other side because I have a tattoo , but I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one- and it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos.
This is only my opinion on the matter, thank goodness for grace.
Rita xx
Butterfly: PS: I think you said when your sons did it at 18 you weren't yet inked yourself. After you did it also, did you feel you a little better understood your sons' wish to do it when they were 18?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
In what was the motive of the people here?

"And they said, Go to, let us build us a city and a tower, whose top may reach unto heaven; and let us make us a name, lest we be scattered abroad upon the face of the whole earth." Gen 11:4

They failed to do something that is always important... check with God first:

"And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do." Gen 11:6

Do we imagine that it will please God to defile our flesh without knowledge that it is His will for us to do so?
What is the will of God?

"And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day." John 6:40

Would we presume to mark our bodies as if we knew it were God's will to do so? Where does God give His approval to such presumption?

What's done is done, but when we already know God and know we need to be following His lead, is it not best to first know which Way He is leading us?

Jesus would have walked on alone if none were willing to do things God's Way:

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" John 6:66-67

If we doubt our ability to attract people to Jesus by our lives, why do we presume that corrupting the physical body needlessly which God gave us to take care of without His consent will do it better? If you must display something write it on your clothing or on a sign made from paper. Leave the temple of God alone!

We could also choose to go into the nearest barroom and get drunk with ones gathered there in order to make conversation with about God easier, but would that be God's will?
Thank-you for your comments; I do think some of the comparisons are somewhat wide.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Honestly, this sounds ridiculous, but peer pressure played a big part in mine. At 46 mind you. Hopefully those who get them do it for themselves. :rolleyes:
Acolyte:

This is why ppl who don't like tattoos ought not to be too hard on young men and women at 18 who do it; it is so widespread that in so many cases it really is the expected thing for them to do, isn't it?

So I guess you can empathize especially.

Reactions: Acolyte

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@marks BTW, I don't think you're into this discussion, right? (including on any faith based aspects that seem to motivate Christian young ppl).
Hi farouk,

That's right, I really have no regard for tattoos one way or the other.

Much love!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@farouk Are you a tatoo artist, or?...
PS: No I'm not, but it seems compelling to acknowledge the witness potential of faith based tattoos, as do a lot of Christian young people.

Do you think it would be good if more Christian young men and women were prepared to make careers of being tattoo artists, for all the potential there?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
PS: Yes, there can be a lot of wisdom if the person waits a few years after the age of 18 so that there's less chance of regret; the way you voted first time round has its very sensible aspect, right?
Yes sir!
I considered that.
I think 18 is too young, TTYTT.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think 18 is too young, TTYTT.
So many young men and women do get first ink at 18, though, of course. Seems to be a lot of peer pressure there.

I think it's probably sensible for parents of 16-17 year olds who are likely to get first ink at 18, to take the time to talk them through the aspects and possibilities, so that they can do it with regrets minimized.

(Seems that today many parents of 18 year old sons and daughters now expect that they will have it done at 18.)

If this makes sense?