Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes I do. ... Youth is wasted on the young. Lol

I'm sure you keep praying for your son and family members; being a prayer warrior is indeed a noble calling.

I guess it strikes me that for a person - a young person, whose first ink experience is linked to the Word of God that s/he is already rejoicing in, it can be a truly memorable and joyful time.

Like, when it's a coming of age thing, and not simply the enthusiasm of a boy or a girl, but something they are doing truly as an adult, as a man or as a woman, for the first time: for them to desire and duly receive inking in the very Scripture that they have learned to rejoice in, must be a deeply moving milestone experience for a young adult, or even older person.

(I'm sure you would agree, right?)

Your 'Youth is wasted on the young' comment also is amusing and interesting!

Last edited:
Reactions: Acolyte

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think I stole it from Mark Twain. As with most things, I remember what I read, just not where it came from. Still struggling with addresses in the bible. (sigh)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think I stole it from Mark Twain. As with most things, I remember what I read, just not where it came from. Still struggling with addresses in the bible. (sigh)
So, Mark Twain, then? :)

Anyway, I guess you would agree that for a young Christian man or woman getting inked up for the first time with a quote, a Scripture tattoo design would likely bring a lot more satisfaction than from any other source (Mark Twain, other writers, etc.).

If maybe you think of how much evident satisfaction your son received with all the tattoos he got one by one; and then you put it into the perspective of a young Christian man or woman going joyously to the parlor to be inked up with a Scripture that s/he has already learned to rejoice in, then the inking experience for them must seem to be truly one of unspeakable joy, right?

(You would probably have a bit more insight into his or her thinking than a lot of ppl would.)

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes he was very happy with them. Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness too. While I don't condone it, I see it a great tool for starting a conversation and planting seeds. :)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yes he was very happy with them. Those who get scripture must be overjoyed. The money and pain are outweighed by the message they witness too. While I don't condone it, I see it a great tool for starting a conversation and planting seeds. :)
Yes indeed! well put: the overjoyed outcome of inked Scripture outweighs the pain and cost, and it's a proven witness conversation-starter and seed planter (not unlike how nurses - a particularly proportionately well inked demographic nowadays - who often use conversations that may start with their patients about their wrist [etc.] tattoos, as an ice-breaker).

So what did you mean by 'I don't condone it'?

Acolyte

Oct 7, 2018
Midwest/usa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what did you mean by 'I don't condone it'?

I would never say to someone, you should get a tattoo.. but if they brought it up and wanted one, I would say they are forever on this body, so choose wisely. Lol

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would never say to someone, you should get a tattoo.. but if they brought it up and wanted one, I would say they are forever on this body, so choose wisely. Lol
Oh I see what you mean, yes. They need to take the initiative for what you called their overjoyed, seed planting pain experience when it's Scripture that is being injected.

But when they do, it kind of bodes well for the many witness opportunities, anticipation of which will surely have all been part of the original inking joy, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh yes. Bearing witness is joyfull. :)
Yes, indeed; and my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area who told us it was her favorite Bible verse (it is mine also, I told her); and it's easy to imagine her quiet, deep joy as she confidently went to the tattoo parlor as a Christian woman to be tattooed without regrets.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember when I was a kid, I made my first tatoo between my thum and finger
Fingers, hand, wrist areas are popular placements for tattoos now; maybe you've seen them.

tiny-cross-feminine-tattoo-on-wrist.jpg
tattoostime dot com

af7c86c157e29621b656854bedec8cd7.jpg
pinterest dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower So do you remember whether it was you who introduced tattooing to your husband or whether it was he who introduced it to you?

(Or maybe it wasn't that way at all...)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@GodsGrace Back, you said
I remember the first double ear piercings --- they looked kind of funny.
Now I think they look nice if the right earrings are worn.
I live in small town and many young girls have cute tattoos in visible places. I remember when they used to try to "hide" them because it was just starting to switch from male to female.
Yes, it's mainstream now.

Reactions: GodsGrace

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's interesting that in the same chapter it seems to say about not trimming one's beard; do preachers shave? If so, they are maybe backhandedly admitting that they are New Testament believers under the rule of the Gospel rather than Old Testament Jews in the land under the law. Pragmatically, many Christians find faith based/Bible verse tattoos to be very effective conversation-starters.

Reactions: WalterandDebbie

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @firstthings1st. I was mentioning earlier that my wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area who told us it was her favorite Bible verse (it is mine also, I told her); and it's easy to imagine her quiet, deep joy as she confidently went to the tattoo parlor as a Christian woman to be tattooed without regrets, in view of the highly likely witness opportunities her willingness to do it would bring.

(Everyone is different.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
No, not really. I get compliments on the coloring of my tattoo, though - the artist did a really nice job on that. I have a cousin, who is a militant atheist, that finds my tattoo completely disgusting. On the other hand, he's disgusted that I went from atheism to Christianity LOL
PS: @MetalMike: I guess your experience with your cousin goes to prove just how effective a faith based tattoo design can be as a witness conversation-starter. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; she told me it was her favorite Bible verse (it's mine also); and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to go to the tattoo parlor for it.

I saw a quote, which was put in the OP, about how widespread it has become in the Bible Belt.

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@firstthings1st. PS: It really used to be a man thing years ago; although now in North America more women do it than men; somewhere it said that 59%-70% or more of parlor clients are female. I suppose the urge to do it is a bit like smoking, that we were talking about; some ppl really strongly want it; others don't. (Otherwise maybe the comparison isn't so direct.)

From being a man thing years ago, it's definitely become now a very womanly thing as well.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Oh yes. Bearing witness is joyfull. :)
Do you think that as well as the sense of joy of getting inked with a witness Scripture design, there's these days also another aspect? While years ago it was very much a man thing relating to sailors and bikers, yet nowadays so many ppl from all walks of life - more women even than men, now that it's become a very womanly thing to do - seem to feel very comfortable about getting inked up. So do you think there's also a strong feel good factor anyway about having it done, that maybe wouldn't have applied so much years ago (especially when not so many women did it)?

Last edited: