Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I do sit on the other side because I have a tattoo , but I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one- and it was also something I had to deal with as my sons reached 18 and got tattoos.
Well, it's something that is done often as a rite of passage at around 18; and it's something you yourself weighed doing and did it deliberately and your sons did it deliberately also, and from your different perspectives you all managed to relish doing it, didn't you?

For them as young men and for you as a woman now I guess you would strongly say it's part of your culture; it's part of you; part of who you are.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I feel that this is sort of an odd question for a poll and just outright. First...it sort of implies that there WILL be an age for a first tattoo, and for many people this question just isn't part of their life. Then you have people who feel that they are being led by scripture to avoid ink, and that would be a matter of conscious, I believe, and their right, just as those who choose to exercise their freedom in Christ have that right as well.
I suppose I'm saying that getting a tattoo is always an individual choice; one made after that individual has weighed all the factors. And that's not really something you can put an age to, I think.
Do I feel, personally, that teenagers should wait? Sure...cause teenagers can be impulsive and dumb and often regret their decisions. After all, their brains are still forming. But, on the flip side of that...some people never grow out of stupid, or impulsive. And some teenagers are born serious thinkers. So...again...I'm just not sure you can put an age boundary on something like this.
Thanks for your comments.

I guess what we are talking about is weighing the strength of competing arguments, especially among the Christian adult who wish to do it, whether to exercise caution and wait for several years before one is really sure about a particular design, or else being strongly convicted that a faith based design will indeed prove a desired gateway for testimony conversations among other young ppl: so I guess that these two views would correspond with the 'between 26 and 40' category (wait until really sure) or with the 'between 18 and 25' (their conversation-starting likelihood among young ppl is compelling) categories.

So I guess that these two different viewpoints about the appropriate age (if desired at all; good point of yours also) are likely to endure among Christians. (If this makes sense?)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I thought maybe something like that is what you would be looking for if you did it, like you say, only a lot smaller.

Maybe your son would be surprised at first? but he would likely get used to it, just as you got used to his.
I definitely won't be getting a tattoo of any description but I may try to find another pendant or pin.

B

Butterfly

Well, it's something that is done often as a rite of passage at around 18; and it's something you yourself weighed doing and did it deliberately and your sons did it deliberately also, and from your different perspectives you all managed to relish doing it, didn't you?

For them as young men and for you as a woman now I guess you would strongly say it's part of your culture; it's part of you; part of who you are.
For my sons it was more ' yes, I am 18, I can make my own decisions - so let's get a tattoo ' . It's part of our culture , but that doesn't mean it is totally part of our Christian culture as there are so many mixed views on the subject. Some would argue that we have crossed a line and allowed ' worldly culture ' in - but in all honesty we are doing that all the time within the Christian realm. Can you imagine a few generations ago having ' drums and guitars ' in church !!!
Can I ask why you are so interested in tattoos yourself ?
Rita

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
For my sons it was more ' yes, I am 18, I can make my own decisions - so let's get a tattoo ' . It's part of our culture , but that doesn't mean it is totally part of our Christian culture as there are so many mixed views on the subject. Some would argue that we have crossed a line and allowed ' worldly culture ' in - but in all honesty we are doing that all the time within the Christian realm. Can you imagine a few generations ago having ' drums and guitars ' in church !!!
Can I ask why you are so interested in tattoos yourself ?
Rita
It's a very topical subject, isn't it?

With the prevalence of tattooing, the opportunities for faith based designs have risen enormously, even as in various ways society in the West is more secularized. So in a sense it's an off-spin that provides lots of opportunities that weren't there before.

@Pearl was asking about the existence of Christian tattoo parlors; and it's clear from a North American perspective (e.g., from the quote in the OP) that many tattoo artists depend to some extent on a Christian clientele; and so it may be incumbent on them to make parlor environments such that Christians instead of being repulsed, being such that they want to be there, are comfortable there.

So in a sense I'm sure you don't regret that it's part of your culture now, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I definitely won't be getting a tattoo of any description but I may try to find another pendant or pin.
I hope you can find a replacement to the one which was lost.

Clearly from what you say you don't want to become a tattooed woman but also it's probably true to say that you now understand a lot more why your son has wanted to do it, compared with the way you thought before, right?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I hope you can find a replacement to the one which was lost.

Clearly from what you say you don't want to become a tattooed woman but also it's probably true to say that you now understand a lot more why your son has wanted to do it, compared with the way you thought before, right?
To be honest farouk I have never given it much thought and still don't. It was such a long time ago I hardly even notice them today.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
To be honest farouk I have never given it much thought and still don't. It was such a long time ago I hardly even notice them today.
I guess it's become so naturally part of the way he is, and for so long.

And I guess it's beneficial that you're not shocked by them, even if once you were, right?

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I guess it's become so naturally part of the way he is, and for so long.

And I guess it's beneficial that you're not shocked by them, even if once you were, right?
Never shocked farouk, I'm not that sort of mum.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul FYI...new poll, focusing particularly on the age of the recipient...(I was informed an older one had expired).
When they have matured enough to understand the purpose for getting one.....and for some that may never happen...lol.....and my point of reference is young servicemen who get tattos because their buddy did....or they got drunk and on the spur of the moment got one.
Also that the person is properly educated about sterile techniques, licensing of the artist, after care.

Reactions: Pearl and farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When they have matured enough to understand the purpose for getting one.....and for some that may never happen...lol.....and my point of reference is young servicemen who get tattos because their buddy did....or they got drunk and on the spur of the moment got one.
Also that the person is properly educated about sterile techniques, licensing of the artist, after care.
Thanks for your comments! and you are indeed right about the importance of sterile techniques, licensing and aftercare (seems like you have read a bit about these subjects).

(Did you vote in the poll, BTW? :))

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks for your comments! and you are indeed right about the importance of sterile techniques, licensing and aftercare (seems like you have read a bit about these subjects).

(Did you vote in the poll, BTW? :))
I am a nurse ....seen a few badly infected ones....and others contracting a communicable disease such as Hep B, Hep C....

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I didnt vote because maturity can happen at any age.
Excellent point! and it's certainly true that many an 18 year old is by then very much ready for his, or these days probably even more likely her, first inking, right?

On the other hand, the capacity to rush into later regretted ink does not stop at a certain age.

(I wonder how the set of poll questions could be amended to take this into account?)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Excellent point! and it's certainly true that many an 18 year old is by then very much ready for his, or these days probably even more likely her, first inking, right?

On the other hand, the capacity to rush into later regretted ink does not stop at a certain age.

(I wonder how the set of poll questions could be amended to take this into account?)
I just checked them all.