The Impotent Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, I am old enough now and laugh at myself that I do not consider what I hear on contemporary radio as actually being “music” by any stretch of the imagination. As my father called my choice of music to be nothing but “noise,” I have become my father! Yes, there is a Culture Clash!

There are topics on the Forum about tattoos and man-buns that are designed to seek out a cultural divide. While some of this is “culture,” it goes way beyond that discussion down to sociological and anthropological issues. Not to use big words, but to summarize that the issue is much more than Old Farts vs. Youth and their cultural divide.

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” This would include being under the power of popular culture. Can a Christian have tattoos and man-buns? Sure! But the better question would be “Is it profitable”?

In popular culture, Masculinity is now something evil and “Toxic.” The knee-jerk reaction of the cultural Feminism is to denounce anyone that will not yield, to be “mentally ill” “phobic” a “Homophobe”… as if that were a real answer! Yet, for those who are driven by Culture, it has the positive effect of whipping men into being more feminine.

Is this a good thing for society, men in general, and especially… the Church?

Anthropologically, men are defined by their differences from women. When the lines are blurred and minimized, humanity becomes more robotic and asexual. Being less distinct leads to being less of an individual.

It is natural for men and women to be distinct. Yet Culture now is moving towards unisex bathrooms, and open locker rooms. The move is to close the gap between the sexes by feminizing men, and not by making women more masculine. In modern sociology, masculinity is the devil!

In the beginning, God made man and woman. He gave each certain functions and responsibilities. The bible retains these distinctions. Men and women by nature, feel and accept these distinctions, that is, unless Culture trumps Scripture and nature. People do not naturally arrive at minimizing these distinctions, they are educated into believing that such distinctions are evil. Because of this, modern Culture is not attracted to the Church and Scriptural Christianity.

How is the Church dealing with it? I would say BADLY! It seeks to conform to the world by feminizing the Church! Especially in the past 50 years, the Church has slowly (if you call 50 years slow!) become more feminine. We are removing the masculine parts: Many Churches have taken out all the hymns that speak of the Church militant; the “fight” songs. Some have even neutered the Hymnbook to make God neutral or gender-fluid. In many Protestant Churches, there are currently more women in Seminary preparing for the Pastorate than men. If this trend remains, within a generation the clergy will be considered a feminine occupation like nursing and Children’s Daycare.

Because Christianity is not seen as masculine by many men today, the Church is attended by women more than men. The men that find the feminized Church to be attractive, have their masculinity in doubt (I do not speak of Homosexuality only, but Feminized men). Because of this, unfeminized men view Church and Christianity in a negative way. It is viewed as an impotent Church, attended by impotent men. Religion makes you look weak and unmanly. No self-respecting male would subject themselves to it! In fact, look at the women who drag their unbelieving husbands to Church. Most look like they are hostages that scan their eyes to find the exits, as if they are planning a jailbreak!

Biblically, and historically speaking, the Church has not been feminine; but masculine. There is a Biblical order that cannot be breached and not bring negative fruit. As long as the Church becomes more feminine, the more we will see that real men have less interest in it. Culture can drive the direction of feminism, but you cannot always defeat nature and the Biblical design of men and women being different.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure, I am old enough now and laugh at myself that I do not consider what I hear on contemporary radio as actually being “music” by any stretch of the imagination. As my father called my choice of music to be nothing but “noise,” I have become my father! Yes, there is a Culture Clash!

There are topics on the Forum about tattoos and man-buns that are designed to seek out a cultural divide. While some of this is “culture,” it goes way beyond that discussion down to sociological and anthropological issues. Not to use big words, but to summarize that the issue is much more than Old Farts vs. Youth and their cultural divide.

"All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any.” This would include being under the power of popular culture. Can a Christian have tattoos and man-buns? Sure! But the better question would be “Is it profitable”?

In popular culture, Masculinity is now something evil and “Toxic.” The knee-jerk reaction of the cultural Feminism is to denounce anyone that will not yield, to be “mentally ill” “phobic” a “Homophobe”… as if that were a real answer! Yet, for those who are driven by Culture, it has the positive effect of whipping men into being more feminine.

Anthropologically, men are defined by their differences from women. When the lines are blurred and minimized, humanity becomes more robotic and asexual. Being less distinct leads to being less of an individual.

It is natural for men and women to be distinct. Yet Culture now is moving towards unisex bathrooms, and open locker rooms. The move is to close the gap between the sexes by feminizing men, and not by making women more masculine. In modern sociology, masculinity is the devil!

In the beginning, God made man and woman. He gave each certain functions and responsibilities. The bible retains these distinctions. Men and women by nature, feel and accept these distinctions, that is, unless Culture trumps Scripture and nature. People do not naturally arrive at minimizing these distinctions, they are educated into believing that such distinctions are evil. Because of this, modern Culture is not attracted to the Church and Scriptural Christianity.

How is the Church dealing with it? I would say BADLY! It seeks to conform to the world by feminizing the Church! Especially in the past 50 years, the Church has slowly (if you call 50 years slow!) become more feminine. We are removing the masculine parts: Many Churches have taken out all the hymns that speak of the Church militant; the “fight” songs. Some have even neutered the Hymnbook to make God neutral or gender-fluid. In many Protestant Churches, there are currently more women in Seminary preparing for the Pastorate than men. If this trend remains, within a generation the clergy will be considered a feminine occupation like nursing and Children’s Daycare.

Because Christianity is not seen as masculine by many men today, the Church is attended by women more than men. The men that find the feminized Church to be attractive, have their masculinity in doubt (I do not speak of Homosexuality only, but Feminized men). Because of this, unfeminized men view Church and Christianity in a negative way. It is viewed as an impotent Church, attended by impotent men. Religion makes you look weak and unmanly. No self-respecting male would subject themselves to it! In fact, look at the women who drag their unbelieving husbands to Church. Most look like they are hostages that scan their eyes to find the exits, as if they are planning a jailbreak!

Biblically, and historically speaking, the Church has not been feminine; but masculine. There is a Biblical order that cannot be breached and not bring negative fruit. As long as the Church becomes more feminine, the more we will see that real men have less interest in it. Culture can drive the direction of feminism, but you cannot always defeat nature and the Biblical design of men and women being different.

If I have understood you correctly...you are saying the church has been neutered? And “As long as the Church becomes more feminine, the more we will see that real men have less interest in it.”?

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If I have understood you correctly...you are saying the church has been neutered? And “As long as the Church becomes more feminine, the more we will see that real men have less interest in it.”?

Yes, but perhaps I am saying a bit more. The trend of being more feminized has been going on a lot longer than just the past 50 years, but it is accelerating. The trend is going in that direction in society, so obviously, many people see this as a good thing. We can ponder what damage it does to society in the long run, yet I believe that it will have a bigger impact on Churches and Church attendance, mostly males and a lot of females. The modern Church is weaker for it today.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but perhaps I am saying a bit more. The trend of being more feminized has been going on a lot longer than just the past 50 years, but it is accelerating. The trend is going in that direction in society, so obviously, many people see this as a good thing. We can ponder what damage it does to society in the long run, yet I believe that it will have a bigger impact on Churches and Church attendance, mostly males and a lot of females. The modern Church is weaker for it today.

Maybe it is our definition of church. if He is the Head and her (His body) is in submission to the Head being her strength...then how is the body with Christ set as the Head and lead...impotent?

Agree something is going on but maybe why are many weak and sickly among you, and many sleep? 1 Corinthians 11:29-30 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

“not discerning the Lord’s body” ...what is “for this cause”?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When the flesh is weak (impotent), the Spirit is strong producing fruit (seed) and bears children and is multiplied. All attributed to the Head which is 1 John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

Matthew 19:11-12 But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given. [12] For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it is our definition of church. if He is the Head and her (His body) is in submission to the Head being her strength...then how is the body with Christ set as the Head and lead...impotent?

Agree something is going on but maybe why are many weak and sickly among you, and many sleep? 1 Corinthians 11:29-30 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body. [30] For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

“not discerning the Lord’s body” ...what is “for this cause”?

There is Church, the Organism we call the Body of believers, and there is the Church, the Organization where people gather for fellowship, and are under the oversight of a pastor.

There is no argument that the true Church is the spiritual Body; there is no doubt that physical organizations are also known as "Churches" in the English language.

Reactions: Nancy and Helen

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's pretty accurate. I doubt the man Jesus would have much to do with most of today's churches.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The trend of being more feminized has been going on a lot longer than just the past 50 years, but it is accelerating.
But the church is female. like Christs bride, She is female, it is why mens churches are called daughters of the harlot, and

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.

we do get to choose
you know what happens when you sleep with a harlot.

Rev_18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Only in the context of the divine Bridegroom and the redeemed Bride. But Christians are designated as soldiers engage in spiritual warfare. And until very recently, women were not sent into battle. That too was a huge mistake, and an accommodation to Feminists.
I guess you missed it too,

Rev_17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

The church is a woman. Why simply because only a women can be WED to Christ, and mens churches are the counterfeit.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you missed it too,

Rev_17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

The church is a woman. Why simply because only a women can be WED to Christ, and mens churches are the counterfeit.

A couple of things about the issue of the Bible being masculine, and not Feminine as we have it today, is not that the Bible is devoid of the Feminine; that is not what I am saying. In what way is the Church, the Bride of Christ- Feminine?

The Bride is the image of the chaste virgin~ purity. Faithfully waiting on her future Bridegroom.
As the woman is to be in submission to the man, so is the Church, the Bride, to be in submission to the Bridegroom~ Jesus Christ.
From the Bridegroom or Husbands standpoint, God is faithful to His Bride, he cares for her, and provides every need. He protects her, takes spiritual Leadership over her, and gives His life for her~ Masculinity.

The Church, the Body of Christ is to be in submission to God, as a woman is to be in submission to her husband. The issue or image of the Church as feminine on the outside, is actually a statement of masculinity in many ways. Instead of stating equality of men and women, Scripture consistently establishes the superiority of men and the submission of women. When I say "superiority" of men, I am not saying "morally" but "positionally" as God has determined the obligations, roles and responsibilities that each have.

The point is, the Bible established the position of man to be over the woman, just as, the Church is positionally under God. Just as the man has that role, he also has great responsibility because of that position. While the woman is to be in submission to her husband, the husband has the responsibility to be the spiritual leader and provider, taking responsibility to care for, and love his wife as Christ loved the Church.

We cannot avoid the fact that the Bible says that God created man in His image. That man came first. That the woman is under the man. This is repeated throughout all of Scripture.

Abraham the Patriarch. After the Fall, God established the Patriarchy where man was responsible for the woman's welfare. Her safety, her provisions, and her spirituality. The Patriarch was the spiritual leader of the household and responsible to lead his family into truth.

Then came Moses and the Law. God then established the Priesthood. A Priest is a mediator between man and God. A Priest is a representative of God on earth. A masculine position above all Israel. There is no such thing as a female priest by God's choice.

God came as a man in the form of Jesus Christ; a Male, a Second Adam. Jesus chose the Twelve; every one of them a male. When the Church was established, Paul writes that as one of the qualifications to be a pastor was to be a male. The Early Church only had male pastoral leadership. The point I am making is, the reference to the Church being the Bride does not change the masculinity of the Biblical order that God has established. Nothing changed in the New Testament concerning the Biblical order of things, but God corrected the abuse of women, and showed that they are valued by Him, that the approach to God is not limited through the husband, both can be equally saved and submit themselves to God.

Submission is not the same as "insignificance," or lack of value. God sees us all as having value that He gave His life for us. Women are of equal value to men in God's eyes. Yet, we can no more take a feminine anthropomorphic illustration and run with it to extremes in defiance of everything that God has already set in stone. The Church is Feminine in her reliance on God, its responsibility to be chaste and pure, faithful to God. And as God is Superior to all humanity, we are to submit completely to Him as a faithful wife. In this, the Church is feminine.

Where the Church is not feminine, is how it operates and functions. It reflects what we know of Biblical order. Man was created first, then woman. Eve was placed in submission to man. God chose a male figure for His representatives and spiritual leadership. God tells us that the Church is the same as a marriage relationship where the woman submits to the man, and the man loves and cares for the woman. As believers we submit to God in the Biblical order, as a woman is supposed to submit to her husband. But that is as far as God shows this relationship to be Feminine. The operation and function of the Church is still Masculine as God intended, and because of this, it is not designed to be predominately Feminine.

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this is why ive never like the label of "Church" for going to a congregation once or twice a week; that is not "Church" i dont think

It is a matter of accepted English to call the assembly of Believers or the building, the "Church." You are correct that according to the Bible, the "Church" is the corporate Body of believers. We ARE the Church, we really do no go TO Church. Yet we have "the Church at _______" in the Bible.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It is a matter of accepted English to call the assembly of Believers, the "Church." You are correct that according to the Bible, the "Church" are the corporate Body of believers. We ARE the Church, we really do no go TO Church. Yet we have "the Church at _______" in the Bible.
yeh, which surely now evokes images of some little stone or wood chapel rather than the souls at that location right

Reactions: Candidus

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yeh, which surely now evokes images of some little stone or wood chapel rather than the souls at that location right

People call the building the "Church"... whether there has ever been a genuine believer that entered that building. I think that many out of convenience shortened "Church Building" to just "Church." I can see people envisioning a building where "the Church" meets, and calling it the "Church Building," but later on convoluting the term "Church" with the building itself. In English it is proper now to call the building a "Church," but I am confident that when the Lord returns, the building will not be resurrected! :rolleyes:

Reactions: rockytopva

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I guess I would like to see some concrete examples here beyond mere cosmetics. The church I currently attend has lots of men present and I'm just not sure what it is you think makes a congregation feminine? Is it music that speaks of a loving God? Maybe it's just my corner of the world, but I haven't seen any feminine churches and I attended several. In fact, the worse one was the one dominated by a rather overbearing male pastor. I'm just an old redneck, and I get along good with manly men being around farmers and men who work with thier hands all my life. But I have had no problems with female pastors. Usually they are quite good. Just my experience.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I do think popular culture is and will effect the modern church; the increasing affirmation of homosexuality by many churches is a prime example of this, which we can expect to continue, leading to even more things going on in the typical church environment that are distasteful to masculine sensibilities.

The good news is this: Persecution and sufferings in standing for the truth are coming, and they will be allowed by God for precisely this reason. They will separate the men from the girls, and by that I mean spiritually, not in the natural. They will separate cowards from those who, having done all to stand, will stand against the onslaughts of the enemy and refuse to back down, even if it costs them their livelihoods, their families or their lives.

These will be the true solders God has promised to raise up during the end-times (Joel 2), and they will be the most fearsome and disciplined army this earth has ever seen.

Reactions: Candidus

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess I would like to see some concrete examples here beyond mere cosmetics. The church I currently attend has lots of men present and I'm just not sure what it is you think makes a congregation feminine? Is it music that speaks of a loving God? Maybe it's just my corner of the world, but I haven't seen any feminine churches and I attended several. In fact, the worse one was the one dominated by a rather overbearing male pastor. I'm just an old redneck, and I get along good with manly men being around farmers and men who work with thier hands all my life. But I have had no problems with female pastors. Usually they are quite good. Just my experience.

In the Roman Catholic Church it has been the increasing emphasis on Mary as Co-Redeemer, and in Protestant Churches more emphasis on "feelings" and neutering the Hymnbook. Modern Western Culture is trending to the "soy boy" the "pajama boy" that they used to promote Obamacare. The attitude that Masculinity is not Christian. Churches spoke more about strength, power, fighting the good fight more than most do today. When was the last time you heard a fiery sermon on Hell? You may not have experienced much of the change where you are, but the changes are widespread and common. Many Churches have become soft on homosexuality and appeasing feminine acting men. Female preachers are also part of the problem in my opinion. You may not have an issue with them, but in my opinion, it is unnatural and unbiblical. As female pastors become more and more dominant, we will see fewer and fewer men attending Church services.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It seems I heard of some of this going on in the Methodist Church. Some people in my family use to do ministry in Methodist churches. We were fortunately in the old style services where they sang the hymns and the pastor was not afraid to call homosexuality a sin. Sadly, those churches are dying.
I'm not opposed to more modern forms of music and worship, but we still call God " him" and " Father" and Lord, and believe all the traditional orthodoxy, in the more modern setting I'm in now.
There's definitely a pendulum that can swing too far one way or too far the other. Have seen the churches who more or less worship the man pastor too, which is all too common. Church should be a true fellowship where no one but God is lifted up.