Why can't God count?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Jude 14) says Enoch is 7th from Adam. But he is not. What is the deal? Error, mistake, what? I know...spiritualize it. Make it say whatever you want.

Stranger

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer may lie in gen 4:25 and Luke 3:37-38.

Gen 4:25
And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel....

Luke 3:37 lists Enoch in the geneology as the 7th. Tell me what is missing in verse 38:

Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Did you see who's missing? Abel isn't listed! Going back to the verse in Genesis, Eve said that Seth was appointed as another son instead of Abel.... A replacement, if you will.

Why a replacement instead of their 3rd son? Don't know. But there is your (possible) answer without having to spiritualize it.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ScottA

I know God seldom uses women in the genealogy's. But even in using the men, Enoch is not the 7th from Adam.

Stranger

Reactions: FHII

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The answer may lie in gen 4:25 and Luke 3:37-38.

Gen 4:25
And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel....

Luke 3:37 lists Enoch in the geneology as the 7th. Tell me what is missing in verse 38:

Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

Did you see who's missing? Abel isn't listed! Going back to the verse in Genesis, Eve said that Seth was appointed as another son instead of Abel.... A replacement, if you will.

Why a replacement instead of their 3rd son? Don't know. But there is your (possible) answer without having to spiritualize it.

Abel could not be listed in (Luke 3:38) as he did not begat anyone. I believe you are right concerning (Gen.4:25). It has to do with the line of Seth.

Still, there is Cain and his line. Cains sons would be born during the same times as Seth's sons. And if you just count Cain alone, then Enoch is not the 7th from Adam.

God definitely said Enoch is the 7th from Adam. Apparently it has to do with God's method of counting.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, this is an interesting question, but the bible don't LIE. here Jude is speaking of GENERATIONS that existed, seventh "FROM" not seventh "OF". for the book of 1 Chronicles 1:1 makes the same case "Adam, Sheth, Enosh, 2 Kenan, Mahalaleel, Jered, 3 Henoch, Methuselah, Lamech". here unto Henoch/Enoch is six LIVING GENERATIONS. but "FROM" Adam loins is 7 Generation. the first generation was cut off, Able by his own brother Cain, and Cain was cut off by God in the flood.

Luke 3:37 "Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,Luke 3:38 "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

hoped that helped.

SonofAdam

Jun 3, 2017
Louisville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
According to Genesis 5 (the first geneological list in the Hebrew Scriptures) and 1 Chronicles 1:1-3 (the last book and genealogical list in the Hebrew Scriptures), Enoch is counted as the 7th generation from Adam. Jude's account is consistent with the OT. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Greg Merrill

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude is accurate in his "math" concerning that Enoch is "the 7th one in line from Adam".(Jude 14; see also Luke 3:37) Here it is (1) Adam, (2) Seth, (3) Enosh, (4) Kenan, (5) Mahalalel, (6) Jared, (7) Enoch.(Gen 5:3-21) Enoch's is counted as the 7th one in line from Adam. And by Enoch's words, as found at Jude 14, 15, it is evident that there was rampant disrespect for God in his day.

This rampant disrespect and wickedness was ratcheted up extensively by the rebel angels and their offspring, the Nephilim (meaning "Fellers; those who cause others to fall down" in death), sons of the rebel angels who materialized and fathered children with "the daughters of men".(Gen 6:2, 4) As a result, Jehovah God said in the year 2490 B.C.E.: "My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely, because he is only flesh. Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years".(Gen 6:3)

Jude explains at verses 6 and 7 that "the angels who did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place (in the spirit realm), he (God) has reserved with eternal bonds in dense darkness for the judgment of the great day (their destruction at the end of Jesus millennial reign). In the same manner, Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them also gave themselves over to gross sexual immorality (as did certain ones of the rebel angels) and pursued unnatural fleshly desires (Gen 19:4, 5); they are placed before us as a warning example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire (or destruction, never to live again)".

ptomw

May 10, 2017
New Hope, MN
Country
United States
(Jude 14) says Enoch is 7th from Adam. But he is not. What is the deal? Error, mistake, what? I know...spiritualize it. Make it say whatever you want.

Stranger

Very simple, Stranger, very simple

1 - Adam, 2 - Seth, 3 - Enos, 4 - Cainan, 5 - Mahaleel, 6 - Jared, 7 - Enoch

Able did not have any children so does not count in a genealogy. Cain was not Adam's son so he does not count in Adam's genealogy. That's right, Cain was not the son of Adam, Satan was Cain's father. You might need someone to help you understand Scripture to discover the sin in the garden.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. (1) In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
Gen 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth (2) were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
Gen 5:6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: (3)
Gen 5:7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
Gen 5:9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: (4)
Gen 5:10 And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
Gen 5:12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: (5)
Gen 5:13 And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
Gen 5:15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: (6)
Gen 5:16 And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
Gen 5:18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: (7)

Reactions: 2404 and Helen

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that Enoch is the seventh from Adam just as the Laodicean church age is the seventh from Ephesus. Enoch is the seventh generation, Laodicea is the seventh church age.
Picture2.png

Picture1.png

Reactions: 2404

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger

no, you can't count

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
Gen 5:3 And Adam 1
Gen 5:7 And Seth 2
Gen 5:9 And Enos 3
Gen 5:12 And Cainan 4
Gen 5:15 And Mahalaleel 5
Gen 5:18 And Jared 6
Gen 5:21 And Enoch 7
Gen 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

and the generations counted are the ones that not only survived to procreate, but also chosen by God. though Cain is mentioned as a son of Adam, note that Cain is disregarded in the case of Adam to Noah (10 Gen) and Noah to Abraham (10 gen). its God's choice and that is the only choice that counts.

it seems maybe you don't know scripture well enough to understand what counts.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all who responded, Cain was the first born. And Cain had children also. Enoch was not numerically the 7th from Adam. So, why does God call him the 7th from Adam? (Jude 14)

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no, you can't count

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:3 And Adam 1
Gen 5:7 And Seth 2
Gen 5:9 And Enos 3
Gen 5:12 And Cainan 4
Gen 5:15 And Mahalaleel 5
Gen 5:18 And Jared 6
Gen 5:21 And Enoch 7
Gen 5:24 And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.

and the generations counted are the ones that not only survived to procreate, but also chosen by God. though Cain is mentioned as a son of Adam, note that Cain is disregarded in the case of Adam to Noah (10 Gen) and Noah to Abraham (10 gen). its God's choice and that is the only choice that counts.

it seems maybe you don't know scripture well enough to understand what counts.

I can count. (Jude 14) says the 7th 'from' Adam. That means don't count Adam. And you need to include Abel But, you also need to include Cain and his line.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very simple, Stranger, very simple

Able did not have any children so does not count in a genealogy. Cain was not Adam's son so he does not count in Adam's genealogy. That's right, Cain was not the son of Adam, Satan was Cain's father. You might need someone to help you understand Scripture to discover the sin in the garden.

Gen 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. (1) In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
Gen 5:4 And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth (2) were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:5 And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.
Gen 5:6 And Seth lived an hundred and five years, and begat Enos: (3)
Gen 5:7 And Seth lived after he begat Enos eight hundred and seven years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:8 And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died.
Gen 5:9 And Enos lived ninety years, and begat Cainan: (4)
Gen 5:10 And Enos lived after he begat Cainan eight hundred and fifteen years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:11 And all the days of Enos were nine hundred and five years: and he died.
Gen 5:12 And Cainan lived seventy years, and begat Mahalaleel: (5)
Gen 5:13 And Cainan lived after he begat Mahalaleel eight hundred and forty years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:14 And all the days of Cainan were nine hundred and ten years: and he died.
Gen 5:15 And Mahalaleel lived sixty and five years, and begat Jared: (6)
Gen 5:16 And Mahalaleel lived after he begat Jared eight hundred and thirty years, and begat sons and daughters:
Gen 5:17 And all the days of Mahalaleel were eight hundred ninety and five years: and he died.
Gen 5:18 And Jared lived an hundred sixty and two years, and he begat Enoch: (7)

Well, again, you don't include Adam. (Jude 14) says the 7th from Adam. And you ignore Abel and Cain. Genealogy is not the subject. The 7th from Adam is.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude is accurate in his "math" concerning that Enoch is "the 7th one in line from Adam".(Jude 14; see also Luke 3:37) Here it is (1) Adam, (2) Seth, (3) Enosh, (4) Kenan, (5) Mahalalel, (6) Jared, (7) Enoch.(Gen 5:3-21) Enoch's is counted as the 7th one in line from Adam. And by Enoch's words, as found at Jude 14, 15, it is evident that there was rampant disrespect for God in his day.

This rampant disrespect and wickedness was ratcheted up extensively by the rebel angels and their offspring, the Nephilim (meaning "Fellers; those who cause others to fall down" in death), sons of the rebel angels who materialized and fathered children with "the daughters of men".(Gen 6:2, 4) As a result, Jehovah God said in the year 2490 B.C.E.: "My spirit will not tolerate man indefinitely, because he is only flesh. Accordingly, his days will amount to 120 years".(Gen 6:3)

Jude explains at verses 6 and 7 that "the angels who did not keep their original position but forsook their own proper dwelling place (in the spirit realm), he (God) has reserved with eternal bonds in dense darkness for the judgment of the great day (their destruction at the end of Jesus millennial reign). In the same manner, Sodom and Gomorrah and the cities around them also gave themselves over to gross sexual immorality (as did certain ones of the rebel angels) and pursued unnatural fleshly desires (Gen 19:4, 5); they are placed before us as a warning example by undergoing the judicial punishment of everlasting fire (or destruction, never to live again)".

Again, you don't include Adam in the count. It is the 7th 'from' Adam. And you ignore Abel and Cain and his descendants.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, this is an interesting question, but the bible don't LIE. here Jude is speaking of GENERATIONS that existed, seventh "FROM" not seventh "OF". for the book of 1 Chronicles 1:1 makes the same case "Adam, Sheth, Enosh, 2 Kenan, Mahalaleel, Jered, 3 Henoch, Methuselah, Lamech". here unto Henoch/Enoch is six LIVING GENERATIONS. but "FROM" Adam loins is 7 Generation. the first generation was cut off, Able by his own brother Cain, and Cain was cut off by God in the flood.

Luke 3:37 "Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,Luke 3:38 "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.

hoped that helped.

Jude didn't say anything about the 'generations of Adam'. That is important in Genesis, yes. But Jude says the 7th from Adam. And how is Enoch the 7th from Adam, when numerically he is not?

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jude didn't say anything about the 'generations of Adam'. That is important in Genesis, yes. But Jude says the 7th from Adam. And how is Enoch the 7th from Adam, when numerically he is not?

Stranger
did not cain and Abel the twins come from Adam loins?. but I will not argue, 1 Timothy 1:4 "Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do".

Good day.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are just arguing the same point with yourself.....but like the old bard said..( of a she) "Me thinks thou does protest too much.." You just go in circles.
We are happy...7 generations.
Adam (generation 1) is created.
Adam and Eve receive a son, Seth (generation 2) ( Cain was of the same generation, Abel was dead)
Enosh is born (generation 3)
Kenan is born (generation 4)
Mahalaleel is born (generation 5)
Jared is born (generation 6)
Enoch is born (generation 7)
Obviously that is how GOD see it!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God definitely said Enoch is the 7th from Adam. Apparently it has to do with God's method of counting.

This is what you replied to me and I agree. It does have to do with God's method, which by your latter posts is different from yours. You want to include Abel and Cain (as a sidenote, i understand where ptomw is coming from in regards to Cain), but God didn't count them because neither of them had anything to do with Enoch.

It isn't talked about, but Adam an Eve had other children besides Cain, Abel and Seth. Should they be included? If so, Enoch might be the 12th from Adam or the 50th.

I like the conversation, but I am not following your reasoning.

Enoch was not the 7th coming from Adam. He was from Adam. Appearently, God is saying that in the line Adam was number one and Enoch number seven.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what you replied to me and I agree. It does have to do with God's method, which by your latter posts is different from yours. You want to include Abel and Cain (as a sidenote, i understand where ptomw is coming from in regards to Cain), but God didn't count them because neither of them had anything to do with Enoch.

It isn't talked about, but Adam an Eve had other children besides Cain, Abel and Seth. Should they be included? If so, Enoch might be the 12th from Adam or the 50th.

I like the conversation, but I am not following your reasoning.

Enoch was not the 7th coming from Adam. He was from Adam. Appearently, God is saying that in the line Adam was number one and Enoch number seven.

I agree with your last statement. Which brings me to the question, why is God counting this way?

Stranger