2 Peter 1:10 - 'Calling' & 'Election'

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Wherefore the rather, brethren,
give diligence to make your calling and election sure:
for if ye do these things,
ye shall never fall:
... '
(2 Peter 1:10)

Hello there,

I would like to hear your understanding concerning the use of the words 'calling' and 'election' in the verse above particularly: but also their use in New Testament generally.

* The word, 'calling' is the Greek word, 'Klesis' (Str. No. G2821), found in Scripture eleven times in :- Romans 11:29; 1 Corinthians 1:26; 1 Corinthians 7:20; Ephesians 1:18; Ephesians 4:1; Ephesians 4:4; Philippians 3:14; 2 Thessalonians 1:11; 2 Timothy 1:9; Hebrews 3:1 and
2 Peter 1:10.

* Those who receive this 'calling' are denominated 'called' (Gr. kletos [Str. No. G2822]), and this is also used eleven times.

* 'Calling' is used doctrinally as in Romans 8:30, 'whom He called, them He also justified' and has a great place in the doctrine of grace. However, it is also used dispensationally to distinguish between the callings found in Scripture, that is,

- The calling of Israel. (Romans 11:29)
- The calling of the Church before Acts 28. (2 Thessalonians 1:11 and 1 Corinthians 1:26)
- The calling of the Church of the Mystery. (2 Timothy 1:9; Philippians 3:14; Ephesians 1:18; Ephesians 4:4; Ephesians 4:1)

-------------------------------------------------

* 'Election' - This word underlies the whole purpose of grace, and is mainly used doctrinally, but is also used dispensationally in Romans 9-11, as it pertains to that part of the purpose of God that relates to Israel. It's meaning is to choose or select ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13 & 1 Peter 1:2) . In both these passages the means as well as the goal is included.

* In both the Old Testament and New Testaments, and regarding members of the several different callings, the redeemed are called 'the elect':-

- 'Israel Mine elect' (Isaiah 45:4) - [H972]
- Those on the earth at the time of the Second coming (Matthew 24:31). [G1588]
- Those who come under the first ministry of the Apostle Paul (Romans 8:33)
- Those who come under the second (prison) ministry of the Apostle Paul (Colossians 3:12)
- Those called by the Apostles of the circumcision (1 Peter 1:2; 2 John 1).
- Also in contrast with the bulk of the nation of Israel at the time, Paul speaks of the 'remnant' as 'the election' (Romans 11:5 [G1589], Romans 11:7)

* 'Foreknowledge' and 'predestination' come into this subject, but I am simply laying out an outline of the usage of the word 'Election'.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: dev553344 and marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
ye shall never fall: ... '

Hello there,

Those to whom Peter wrote his epistle were believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, saved individuals. So what is the 'calling' and 'election' that they were to endeavour to make 'sure'?

Is this the 'calling' and 'election' that you identify with?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
* 'Calling' is used doctrinally as in Romans 8:30, 'whom He called, them He also justified' and has a great place in the doctrine of grace. However, it is also used dispensationally to distinguish between the callings found in Scripture, that is,

Hey Charity!

The above is the sense in which it is used in 2 Peter 1:10.
* 'Election' - This word underlies the whole purpose of grace, and is mainly used doctrinally, but is also used dispensationally in Romans 9-11, as it pertains to that part of the purpose of God that relates to Israel. It's meaning is to choose or select ( 2 Thessalonians 2:13 & 1 Peter 1:2) . In both these passages the means as well as the goal is included.

* In both the Old Testament and New Testaments, and regarding members of the several different callings, the redeemed are called 'the elect':-

- Those who come under the second (prison) ministry of the Apostle Paul (Colossians 3:12)
- Also in contrast with the bulk of the nation of Israel at the time, Paul speaks of the 'remnant' as 'the election' (Romans 11:5 [G1589], Romans 11:7)

The word simply refers to those chosen of God. "To make your selection sure" would maybe be a clearer translation, and it echoes back to how the children of God were chosen, i.e. "Israel mine elect" as you quoted, and in Romans. Not everyone was receiving the preaching of the gospel back then. The Holy Spirit was sending the apostles to specific cities and nations, and forbidding them from going to others. He was thus again choosing those who would hear it, though He ultimately intended it to be preached to the entire world. But He also chooses those upon whom He pours out His Spirit. It is a very personal thing. Today, salvation and the outpouring often get divided up into two different experiences, but it was usually not so in New Testament times. They were being chosen to have it preached to them, and then having it confirmed to them through the outpouring not long thereafter (sometimes almost instantaneously). Thus, they were chosen for both in a very real sense.

But to make both "sure," they had to do what the apostle said, which was to allow the Spirit to conform their behavior to Christ, and let Him produce the FRUIT of the Spirit through them. If not, they had not yet allowed the Spirit they were baptized in to manifest Himself out through them, and were thus still in danger of going "blind," taking on forgetfulness of the cleansing of their sins, and ending up walking away in failure from the Christian life and the Christian walk.

Hello there,

Those to whom Peter wrote his epistle were believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, saved individuals. So what is the 'calling' and 'election' that they were to endeavour to make 'sure'?

Is this the 'calling' and 'election' that you identify with?

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

In a sense, yes. I was chosen for the baptism. I didn't choose it. I hardly knew what was going on at the time. In fact, everything was new to me. I wasn't raised Christian at all, so just reading and trying to understand the Bible was new. But I was voracious, because I loved the word. Have I made my calling and election sure? ...

Virtue - yes, I think I have. The Greek word essentially equates to personal sacrifice, in the face of things like persecution or carrying the cross.

Knowledge - Most definitely. My whole life has been dedicated to the word.

Self-control - Iffy, LoL. Still working on this one. Not easy for me.

Endurance/ Patience - Yes, I'm getting better and better at this.

Godliness - Also one I am improving in, but not quite there yet like I would like to be. I am, mind you. But I could do better. Trying to consistently up my prayer life, which tends to wax and wane.

Brotherly kindness - As I understand the term, he is referring to physically assisting the brethren, such as with material warmth, hospitality, food, etc. I did this more at an earlier time in my walk, but I don't equate the passage as saying that we must walk in every one of these things all the time or we will not make it to Heaven.

Love - Yes. I do ok here. I'm quick to forgive, and look to love others in the ways God has given me to at every opportunity.

How do you think you are doing in these areas?
God bless, and thanks for the thread.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what is the 'calling' and 'election' that they were to endeavour to make 'sure'?
It's the exact same calling and election Jesus is referring to here......

Matthew 22:14
For many are called, but few are chosen.

We are to make sure we really have been called to the kingdom of God, and have been chosen for it by being properly adorned with the righteousness of Christ. We can tell if we have really been called and chosen to enter into the kingdom of God by if we are able to walk in the characteristics of the Spirit. Unsaved people ultimately can't. Truly saved people can. If we can't then we know we're not ready to meet Jesus when he comes back and we can make it right with God before it's too late. So many of Jesus' teachings are about being properly prepared ahead of time for his return. How we live is how we can tell if we're ready.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek word translated "sure" in 2Pet 1:10 is bebaian which actually
speaks of stability rather than certainty.

In other words: bebaian isn't talking about confidence, rather, it's talking
about resilience, i.e. immovable, unshakable, stubborn, rock solid, steadfast,
and firm.
_

Reactions: charity and marks

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Greek word translated "sure" in 2Pet 1:10 is bebaian which actually
speaks of stability rather than certainty.

In other words: bebaian isn't talking about confidence, rather, it's talking
about resilience, i.e. immovable, unshakable, stubborn, rock solid, steadfast,
and firm.
_
Makes sense since the context is not stumbling.

2 Peter 1:10
be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you; for as long as you practice these things, you will never stumble

The protection against stumbling is to practice the things he lists. That's how we become steadfast in our calling and election. Interesting.

Reactions: charity and marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:23 KJV
[23] If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Ferris Bueller,
@Hidden In Him,
@Webers_Home
@Waiting on him

Hello there,

Thank you for your input.

Looking at what preceded this verse and what follows it, it is clear that those to whom Peter wrote had, 'obtained like precious faith,' as Peter himself. How? 'through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ' (v.1).

* Peter desires, 'that grace and peace be multiplied' unto them. How was that to be achieved? - 'Through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord' (v.2). Even as, 'His divine power,' had given unto them, 'all things that pertain unto life and godliness.' How? 'Through the knowledge of Him,' that had called them, - 'to glory and virtue' (v.3).

* Yes, Through the knowledge 'of Him', they had been given 'exceeding great and precious promises', and it is by these promises that they would be enabled to partake of His divine nature, 'having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust' (v.4).

* So, it is by faith in the promises made to them in Christ, by the Divine power that they had received, that they would be enabled to partake of Christ's divine nature, Praise God!

* Then Peter says in 2 Peter 1:5-7:-

‘And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith
.. - virtue; and to virtue
.... - knowledge; And to knowledge
...... - temperance; and to temperance
........ - patience; and to patience
.......... - godliness;And to godliness
............ - brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness
.............. - charity.’

Why? (2 Peter 1:8-9)

'For if these things be in you, and abound,
.. they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful
.... in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.
But he that lacketh these things is blind,
.. and cannot see afar off,
.... and hath forgotten that he was purged from his old sins.
Wherefore the rather, brethren,
.. give diligence to make your calling and election sure:
.... for if ye do these things,
...... ye shall never fall:'

* These believers had been called unto 'glory and virtue' (v.3). That was the goal. Therefore the addition of these virtues to the faith that they already held, would ensure that they would attain unto that calling: would be fruitful and not 'fall'.

Praise God!

Thank you.
Within the love of Christ our Saviour
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Colossians 1:23 KJV
'And you, that were sometime alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works,
.. yet now hath He reconciled in the body of His flesh through death,
.... to present you holy and unblameable and unreproveable in His sight:

If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled,
.. and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard,
.... and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven;
...... whereof I Paul am made a minister; ... '

(Col 1:21-23)

Hello @Waiting on him,

Thank you for this lovely verse.

* Looking at the words, 'If ye continue', it appears that there could be an element of doubt expressed here as to whether Paul's hearers would indeed continue in the faith: but this is not so. For:-

* The word 'IF' when used in Scripture (as in Ephesians 3:2, Ephesians 4:21, 2 Corinthians 5:3, Galatians 3:4) needs careful consideration, for the following Greek particles are translated ‘IF’ in the New Testament and their distinctive meanings should be realized:-

Ean - ‘If haply’. This implies a condition, which only experience can determine. e.g., ‘If he come unto you, receive him’ (Col. 4:10).
Ei - ‘If’ putting the condition simply,
(a) With the indicative it assumes the hypothesis as a fact, eg., ‘If ye be dead with Christ’ (Col. 2:20).
(b) With the optative (the wishing) mood, it expresses mere assumption If the will of God be so’ (1 Pet. 3:17).​
Eige - ‘If at least— what is spoken of is taken for granted (as above).​

* Dr. Bullinger in his Lexicon illustrates the meaning of these words in this way:-
‘If this counsel or this work be of men ...' - (ean followed by the subjunctive, a point which the result will decide):
but if it be of God' - (ei with the indicative, a case which I put)’
(Acts 5:38,39).

If ye know these things - (ei with indicative, assuming the case as a fact),
happy are ye if ye do them' - (ean followed by the subjunctive, a result which remains to be seen)’
(John 13:17).

* No uncertainty therefore must be read into Ephesians 3:2, 4:21 or Colossians 1:23. ‘IF (or 'Assuming') would translate the apostle’s meaning for the word, 'IF' in both cases is the Greek 'eige', in which it is taken for granted that, as in Colossians 1:23, they would indeed 'continue in the faith'.

* No doubt expressed! Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never take time to read long posts punctuated with italics, bolding, and
multicolored fonts. Too messy, too tedious, and too tiresome on the eyes.

This next comment is off-topic, but I seriously think it's something that
needs saying from time to time.

Internet forums have given many of Christ's obscure followers a convenient
venue for sharing their time-won knowledge and experience with a
worldwide audience. For the world's sake, I highly recommend making an
effort to compose legible posts; neatly arranged, sensible, coherent, and
tidy.

Excessive bolding, underscoring, and italics, lack of adequate paragraphing,
twitter spelling, unnecessary emogies, horrible grammar, confusing mixtures
of fonts and colors, and/or shouting with caps and oversize letters, makes
for tiresome clutter and annoying graffiti that leave a bad impression.

Some people's posts resemble the obnoxious placards of worked-up
protesters and political activists; yelling, shrieking, and sometimes even
spraying spittle. They are beyond reason and objectivity in their desperation
to be taken seriously. Apparently they assume that if only they shout loud
enough, make themselves annoying enough, and hold out long enough;
maybe they'll get their point across and somebody will finally listen.

I rather suspect that some people regard forums as a canvas for painting
their comments instead of composing them. Well; that might be okay for
outsiders, they can be as messy and untidy as they want because their
comments don't matter anyway. But for those of us who honestly believe
ourselves to be representing God's son; it's unacceptable because it reflects
on Christ and makes him look like his followers are desperate kooks.

"Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." (Phil 1:27)
_

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

_

I'd call it personal preferrence. It helps me sometimes, it did on this thread.

Personally, I have more of a difficulty reading longer paragraphs on forum pages. I like things broken up into one or two sentence.

But that's just what words good for me.

Much love!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ye shall never fall:
... '

Hello there,

I would like to hear your understanding concerning the use of the words 'calling' and 'election' in the verse above particularly: but also their use in New Testament generally.

* The word, 'calling' is the Greek word, 'Klesis' (Str. No. G2821), found in Scripture eleven times in :- Romans 11:29; 1 Corinthians 1:26; 1 Corinthians 7:20; Ephesians 1:18; Ephesians 4:1; Ephesians 4:4; Philippians 3:14; 2 Thessalonians 1:11; 2 Timothy 1:9; Hebrews 3:1 and
2 Peter 1:10.

* Those who receive this 'calling' are denominated 'called' (Gr. kletos [Str. No. G2822]), and this is also used eleven times.

- The calling of Israel. (Romans 11:29)
- The calling of the Church before Acts 28. (2 Thessalonians 1:11 and 1 Corinthians 1:26)
- The calling of the Church of the Mystery. (2 Timothy 1:9; Philippians 3:14; Ephesians 1:18; Ephesians 4:4; Ephesians 4:1)

-------------------------------------------------

* 'Foreknowledge' and 'predestination' come into this subject, but I am simply laying out an outline of the usage of the word 'Election'.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
To me it simply means strive to be called and elected by the church to serve in some capacity. Distinct from chosen. Chosen is more special. Matthew 22:10-14

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

This next comment is off-topic, but I seriously think it's something that
needs saying from time to time.

Internet forums have given many of Christ's obscure followers a convenient
venue for sharing their time-won knowledge and experience with a
worldwide audience. For the world's sake, I highly recommend making an
effort to compose legible posts; neatly arranged, sensible, coherent, and
tidy.

Excessive bolding, underscoring, and italics, lack of adequate paragraphing,
twitter spelling, unnecessary emogies, horrible grammar, confusing mixtures
of fonts and colors, and/or shouting with caps and oversize letters, makes
for tiresome clutter and annoying graffiti that leave a bad impression.

Some people's posts resemble the obnoxious placards of worked-up
protesters and political activists; yelling, shrieking, and sometimes even
spraying spittle. They are beyond reason and objectivity in their desperation
to be taken seriously. Apparently they assume that if only they shout loud
enough, make themselves annoying enough, and hold out long enough;
maybe they'll get their point across and somebody will finally listen.

I rather suspect that some people regard forums as a canvas for painting
their comments instead of composing them. Well; that might be okay for
outsiders, they can be as messy and untidy as they want because their
comments don't matter anyway. But for those of us who honestly believe
ourselves to be representing God's son; it's unacceptable because it reflects
on Christ and makes him look like his followers are desperate kooks.H

"Conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ." (Phil 1:27)
Hello @Webers_Home,

I understand your aversion to these things.

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
To me it simply means strive to be called and elected by the church to serve in some capacity. Distinct from chosen. Chosen is more special. Matthew 22:10-14
'For many are called,
but few are chosen.'

(Mat 22:14)

Thank you for responding @Devin Wintch, and for your Scriptural reference. It took my mind to another:-

'These shall make war with the Lamb,
and the Lamb shall overcome them:
for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings:
and they that are with Him
are called, and chosen, and faithful.'

(Rev 17:14)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'For many are called,
but few are chosen.'

(Mat 22:14)

Thank you for responding @Devin Wintch, and for your Scriptural reference. It took my mind to another:-

'These shall make war with the Lamb,
and the Lamb shall overcome them:
for He is Lord of lords, and King of kings:
and they that are with Him
are called, and chosen, and faithful.'

(Rev 17:14)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Revelation 17:14 appears to spell out 3 types of followers, which is nice of God. Chosen, called and faithful. Although it's somewhat unclear if it's spelling out a distinction between the three or describing attributes of a specific type of follower. But it appears to be spelling out three types. So that the chosen are with him and them that serve and are called, and the faithful members of the churches. I like that because it includes them that desire to serve whether or not their chosen, and the faithful members who may not be able to serve in any capacity.

To further clarify my belief: In the OP surrounding passages of 2 Peter 1:10 it spells out them that have fell, and how not to become fallen, which it appears to me to be spelling out to serve in some capacity in church. And I would agree with that. Anyone can serve in their church in some capacity and be filled with the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) which it also spells out some of them previous to 2 Peter 1:10. I find the fruits in service to the Lord.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Charity!

The above is the sense in which it is used in 2 Peter 1:10.

The word simply refers to those chosen of God. "To make your selection sure" would maybe be a clearer translation, and it echoes back to how the children of God were chosen, i.e. "Israel mine elect" as you quoted, and in Romans. Not everyone was receiving the preaching of the gospel back then. The Holy Spirit was sending the apostles to specific cities and nations, and forbidding them from going to others. He was thus again choosing those who would hear it, though He ultimately intended it to be preached to the entire world. But He also chooses those upon whom He pours out His Spirit. It is a very personal thing. Today, salvation and the outpouring often get divided up into two different experiences, but it was usually not so in New Testament times. They were being chosen to have it preached to them, and then having it confirmed to them through the outpouring not long thereafter (sometimes almost instantaneously). Thus, they were chosen for both in a very real sense.

But to make both "sure," they had to do what the apostle said, which was to allow the Spirit to conform their behavior to Christ, and let Him produce the FRUIT of the Spirit through them. If not, they had not yet allowed the Spirit they were baptized in to manifest Himself out through them, and were thus still in danger of going "blind," taking on forgetfulness of the cleansing of their sins, and ending up walking away in failure from the Christian life and the Christian walk.
Hi @Hidden In Him,

I am sorry not to have answered straight away. I got thrown by the question you asked of me at the end concerning what I had added to my faith, for I don't tend to enter into self-examination, and did not know how to respond. o_O

I believe you are right that in 2 Peter 1:10 the words 'Calling' and 'Election' are being used doctrinally, as in Romans 8:30 (quoted in the OP). With this opening introduction and exhortation, Peter is seeking to secure his readers from the wickedness which he knew prophetically would seek to infiltrate their ranks (2 Peter 2:1-22 & 2 Peter 3:3-13).

What impressed me when reading this section was the emphasis on 'The knowledge of Him' (of God and of Christ), everything depended on that, and my thoughts went to a verse from one of Paul's epistles, in which he gave a similar warning, for the same reason:-

'That their hearts might be comforted,
.. being knit together in love,
.... unto all riches of the full assurance of understanding,
...... to the acknowledgement of the mystery of God, and of the Father, and of Christ;
........ In whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.
And this I say, lest any man should beguile you with enticing words.
For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit,
joying and beholding your order, and the steadfastness of your faith in Christ.'

(Colossians 2:2-5)

* These riches of the full assurance of understanding are vital to our spiritual health and welfare, and secures us against that infiltration of wickedness that is still seeking entry today.

Praise God!

Thank you again
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Hidden In Him

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Revelation 17:14 appears to spell out 3 types of followers, which is nice of God. Chosen, called and faithful. Although it's somewhat unclear if it's spelling out a distinction between the three or describing attributes of a specific type of follower. But it appears to be spelling out three types. So that the chosen are with him and them that serve and are called, and the faithful members of the churches. I like that because it includes them that desire to serve whether or not their chosen, and the faithful members who may not be able to serve in any capacity.

To further clarify my belief: In the OP surrounding passages of 2 Peter 1:10 it spells out them that have fell, and how not to become fallen, which it appears to me to be spelling out to serve in some capacity in church. And I would agree with that. Anyone can serve in their church in some capacity and be filled with the fruits of the Holy Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) which it also spells out some of them previous to 2 Peter 1:10. I find the fruits in service to the Lord.
Hi Devin,

This is an interlinear for this passage:

upload_2020-10-16_8-48-37.png

Called and chosen and faithful all share the same pronoun, all nominative plural masculine. The ones with the Lamb are called, and chosen, and faithful. Rather than, say, the ones with the Lamb are the called, and the chosen, and the faithful. If it were written that way, for instances, there may be 3 groups spoken of. But this way, these describe the same ones.

Much love!

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord,
beseech you that ye walk worthy
of the vocation wherewith ye are called,'

(Ephesians 4:1)

Hello again,

The calling of Ephesians 4:1 denotes a VOCATION: and is something that those so called are beseeched by Paul to walk worthy of. In other words what is 'professed' (as doctrine) and what is 'practiced' must be equal: they must balance like the measure on a scales. On the one side of the scale are the blessings, the riches, the glories of this calling, as revealed in Ephesians 1-3; on the other side the walk that should balance these blessings, these riches, these glories: is a walk that is worthy of them as outlined in Ephesians 4-6. To the glory of God, and of the Saviour our Lord Jesus Christ.

*Examples of Doctrine & Practice

D) 'The power of His might' and the 'principalities and powers' (1:19-23) - * This shows the doctrinal position and sphere of spiritual blessings.
P) 'The power of His might' and the evil 'principalities and powers' (6:10-17) - * This shows the corresponding conflict and spiritual forces.

D) The old walk, - 'the world' (2:2)
P) The old walk, -'vanity of mind' (4:17); 'uncleanness' (4:19); 'darkness' (5:8); 'as fools' (5:15).

D) The new walk, - 'a new creation' (2:10)
P) The new walk, - 'lowliness of mind' (4:2); 'in love' (4:2); 'as light' (5:8); 'circumspectly' (5:15).

D) The New Creation, - The New Man ( 2:10-15)
P) The Old Man, - 'put off,' and, The New Man, - 'put on' (4:22-32) - (The New Man is A New Creation)

D) The Temple - 'fitly framed together' (2:19-22).
P) The Body - 'fitly joined together' (4:7-16) - (it's present manifestation)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: