A Biblical View of the Refugee Crisis

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
I was so glad to hear that it’s not just European churches who have heard what the Bible has to tell us about the treatment of refugees, that I’d like to share this sermon with you:

Reactions: aspen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe he is saying that refugees should serve the master of the land where they go, just as Joseph did, thereby finding favor in the master's sight for all his people.

Reactions: Marymog and Helen

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
a synopsis might be nice, if you would? ty
Agree...it is 43 mins long...who has that much time on their hands. :(
Yes, 43min is long, but I find that listening to sermons or listening-books while you're at them makes boring tasks such as scrubbing floors and peeling potatoes much more enjoyable. :)
However, I see your point. So here’s my attempt at a summary:

In his opening words David Platt, President of the Southern Baptist Convention's International Mission Board, points to the enormity of the global refugee crisis as one of the greatest humanitarian crisis in modern history with 60 million people being displaced, put in danger or forced from their homes. Half the population of Syria have either been displaced or killed. He bemoans that most Christians in the USA are paying little or no attention to this crisis, and if they do it’s through the lense of political punditry. “If there is any response it seems to be coming from a foundation of fear rather than of faith, flowing from a view of the world that is far more American than it is Biblical,far more concerned with the preservation of this country than it is with the accomplishment of the great commission.” He says that the church cannot sit still and not stay silent and that we need to know how the Bible informs us how we view crisis like this in the world and then act accordingly:

He then goes to what he sees as five Biblical truth’s concerning the refugee crisis starting with

Point 1: Acts 17:24, which tells us that God created all mankind and that God reigns sovereign over all things. We can find comfort in knowing that the world is not run by various dictators or politicians and that – pointing to Job, the almighty God is even sovereign over suffering.

Point 2: God oversees the movement of all people and uses the scattering of people for his own purpose, to be sought and found by all people.

Point 3: God generally establishes government for the protection of all people (Romans 13). Thus government, particular representative governments such as ours, have the responsibility to promote good and restrain evil.

Point 4: God commands the church to provide for His people especially and to do good to everyone whenever the opportunity arises (Galatians 6:10). We are to love all our neighbours as ourselves and Christ is suffering with our brothers and sisters in crisis (Matthew 25:31-46), so we must not turn a dead ear to them.

Point 5: care for refugees is right and even required because of the character of God. “God seeks, shelters, serves and showers the refugee with his grace”. Book of Ruth – a Moabite woman - in which Boas mirrors God giving refuge: We are compelled to reflect our redeemer likewise.

Summary: The good news of the gospel is that God is not detached from our suffering and familiar with our pain. Christ Himself was a refugee. The greatest news is that Christ turned suffering into victory over sin to give us eternal life. Refugees need to hear this gospel, but they won’t unless we preach it. The refugee crisis gives us an unprecedented opportunity to do just that. We should go to refugees, hear their stories and meet their needs, both their material need and their need for the gospel. Sure there are risks involved in that, but referring to Matthew 16:24: “where in the world did we get the idea that Christianity is devoid of risk. Self is no longer our God, therefore safety is no longer our concern.” We ought to pray for Gods mercy “with our kids for kids like them, who sit in a boat right now or sleeping outside waiting at some Hungarian border” and act with mercy, justice and faithfulness (Mathew 23:23). Love even strangers sacrificially (Good Samaritan). We don’t want to sit idly by when God is calling us to act.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
nice! i doubt the thread will be very popular, except to the choir lol, but then that's the same as it ever was too, i guess.
i note Christians moaning about "the immigrant problem" in threads that go on for a year lol, i guess we'll see

Reactions: amadeus

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Few understand that the "refugee crises" is a punishment of the nations of the world who attempted to "heal Babylon" INSTEAD OF DESTROYING IT as God required of the fifth segment of the Statue prophecy that entered into the Land of the Chaldeans. The following passage tells us this is so: -

Jeremiah 51:1-14: -

51:
1 Thus says the Lord:
"Behold, I will raise up against Babylon,
Against those who dwell in Leb Kamai,
A destroying wind.
2 And I will send winnowers to Babylon,
Who shall winnow her and empty her land.
For in the day of doom
They shall be against her all around.
3 Against her let the archer bend his bow,
And lift himself up against her in his armor.
Do not spare her young men;
Utterly destroy all her army.
4 Thus the slain shall fall in the land of the Chaldeans,
And those thrust through in her streets.
5 For Israel is not forsaken, nor Judah,
By his God, the Lord of hosts,
Though their land was filled with sin against the Holy One of Israel."

6 Flee from the midst of Babylon,
And every one save his life!
Do not be cut off in her iniquity,
For this is the time of the Lord's vengeance;
He shall recompense her.
7 Babylon was a golden cup in the Lord's hand,
That made all the earth drunk.
The nations drank her wine;
Therefore the nations are deranged.
8 Babylon has suddenly fallen and been destroyed.
Wail for her!
Take balm for her pain;
Perhaps she may be healed.

9 We would have healed Babylon,
But she is not healed.
Forsake her, and let us go everyone to his own country;
For her judgment reaches to heaven and is lifted up to the skies.
10 The Lord has revealed our righteousness.
Come and let us declare in Zion the work of the Lord our God.

11 Make the arrows bright!
Gather the shields!
The Lord has raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes.
For His plan is against Babylon to destroy it,
Because it is the vengeance of the Lord,
The vengeance for His temple.
12 Set up the standard on the walls of Babylon;
Make the guard strong,
Set up the watchmen,
Prepare the ambushes.
For the Lord has both devised and done
What He spoke against the inhabitants of Babylon.
13 O you who dwell by many waters,
Abundant in treasures,
Your end has come,
The measure of your covetousness.
14 The Lord of hosts has sworn by Himself:
"Surely I will fill you with men, as with locusts,
And they shall lift up a shout against you."

Yes their is an apparent refugee problem, but the other issue is the influence of the Little Horn "Beast" over the people of the nations in the Middle East that is raising up people to destroy the People of the Book and to force them to deny their God.

Shalom

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@junobet

Thank you very much...a very well laid out overview.

All the post here are 'food for deep thought' indeed.

Bless you....H

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, 43min is long, but I find that listening to sermons or listening-books while you're at them makes boring tasks such as scrubbing floors and peeling potatoes much more enjoyable. :)
However, I see your point. So here’s my attempt at a summary:

In his opening words David Platt, President of the Southern Baptist Convention's International Mission Board, points to the enormity of the global refugee crisis as one of the greatest humanitarian crisis in modern history with 60 million people being displaced, put in danger or forced from their homes. Half the population of Syria have either been displaced or killed. He bemoans that most Christians in the USA are paying little or no attention to this crisis, and if they do it’s through the lense of political punditry. “If there is any response it seems to be coming from a foundation of fear rather than of faith, flowing from a view of the world that is far more American than it is Biblical,far more concerned with the preservation of this country than it is with the accomplishment of the great commission.” He says that the church cannot sit still and not stay silent and that we need to know how the Bible informs us how we view crisis like this in the world and then act accordingly:

He then goes to what he sees as five Biblical truth’s concerning the refugee crisis starting with

Point 1: Acts 17:24, which tells us that God created all mankind and that God reigns sovereign over all things. We can find comfort in knowing that the world is not run by various dictators or politicians and that – pointing to Job, the almighty God is even sovereign over suffering.

Point 2: God oversees the movement of all people and uses the scattering of people for his own purpose, to be sought and found by all people.

Point 3: God generally establishes government for the protection of all people (Romans 13). Thus government, particular representative governments such as ours, have the responsibility to promote good and restrain evil.

Point 4: God commands the church to provide for His people especially and to do good to everyone whenever the opportunity arises (Galatians 6:10). We are to love all our neighbours as ourselves and Christ is suffering with our brothers and sisters in crisis (Matthew 25:31-46), so we must not turn a dead ear to them.

Point 5: care for refugees is right and even required because of the character of God. “God seeks, shelters, serves and showers the refugee with his grace”. Book of Ruth – a Moabite woman - in which Boas mirrors God giving refuge: We are compelled to reflect our redeemer likewise.

Summary: The good news of the gospel is that God is not detached from our suffering and familiar with our pain. Christ Himself was a refugee. The greatest news is that Christ turned suffering into victory over sin to give us eternal life. Refugees need to hear this gospel, but they won’t unless we preach it. The refugee crisis gives us an unprecedented opportunity to do just that. We should go to refugees, hear their stories and meet their needs, both their material need and their need for the gospel. Sure there are risks involved in that, but referring to Matthew 16:24: “where in the world did we get the idea that Christianity is devoid of risk. Self is no longer our God, therefore safety is no longer our concern.” We ought to pray for Gods mercy “with our kids for kids like them, who sit in a boat right now or sleeping outside waiting at some Hungarian border” and act with mercy, justice and faithfulness (Mathew 23:23). Love even strangers sacrificially (Good Samaritan). We don’t want to sit idly by when God is calling us to act.

As German women have to gather in protected 'safe zones' at public events due to the blessing of 'refugees'. You just can't get more spiritual than that. How do you like your safe zone?

You say, 'from a view that is far more American than Biblical', 'more concerned with the country than the Great commission'. That is the country's business. The country doesn't run on the Great commission. The country does what is best for it and the protection of its citizens. And bringing in untold number of muslim refugees is not safe.

Again, Christ was not a refugee. No country knew of their reason for being there. No country was waiting with open arms to help and protect them. God sent them there for their protection. The country they went to provided nothing for them. And, Joseph and Mary were children of God. The refugees you want us to take in are not children of God. They are muslims. Thus your women huddle in their safe zones.

If you don't want to sit idly by, then go over there to Syrian or Afghanistan, or wherever you can find muslims to preach to. Go and give them the gospel. But of course, you don't have a safe zone over there. And while they are raping you and killing you, you can just love them to death. Literally.

Your point 5 is a laugh. Ruth was accepted because of her marriage. Not because she was a refugee. My how we love to twist our Scriptures to fit our political belief.

Stranger

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Few understand that the "refugee crises" is a punishment of the nations of the world who attempted to "heal Babylon" INSTEAD OF DESTROYING IT as God required of the fifth segment of the Statue prophecy that entered into the Land of the Chaldeans. The following passage tells us this is so: -

Jeremiah 51:1-14: -

51:
1 Thus says the Lord:
"Behold, I will raise up against Babylon,
Against those who dwell in Leb Kamai,
A destroying wind.
2 And I will send winnowers to Babylon,
Who shall winnow her and empty her land.
For in the day of doom
They shall be against her all around.
3 Against her let the archer bend his bow,
And lift himself up against her in his armor.
Do not spare her young men;
Utterly destroy all her army.
4 Thus the slain shall fall in the land of the Chaldeans,
And those thrust through in her streets.
5 For Israel is not forsaken, nor Judah,
By his God, the Lord of hosts,
Though their land was filled with sin against the Holy One of Israel."

6 Flee from the midst of Babylon,
And every one save his life!
Do not be cut off in her iniquity,
For this is the time of the Lord's vengeance;
He shall recompense her.
7 Babylon was a golden cup in the Lord's hand,
That made all the earth drunk.
The nations drank her wine;
Therefore the nations are deranged.
8 Babylon has suddenly fallen and been destroyed.
Wail for her!
Take balm for her pain;
Perhaps she may be healed.

9 We would have healed Babylon,
But she is not healed.
Forsake her, and let us go everyone to his own country;
For her judgment reaches to heaven and is lifted up to the skies.
10 The Lord has revealed our righteousness.
Come and let us declare in Zion the work of the Lord our God.

11 Make the arrows bright!
Gather the shields!
The Lord has raised up the spirit of the kings of the Medes.
For His plan is against Babylon to destroy it,
Because it is the vengeance of the Lord,
The vengeance for His temple.
12 Set up the standard on the walls of Babylon;
Make the guard strong,
Set up the watchmen,
Prepare the ambushes.
For the Lord has both devised and done
What He spoke against the inhabitants of Babylon.
13 O you who dwell by many waters,
Abundant in treasures,
Your end has come,
The measure of your covetousness.
14 The Lord of hosts has sworn by Himself:
"Surely I will fill you with men, as with locusts,
And they shall lift up a shout against you."

Yes their is an apparent refugee problem, but the other issue is the influence of the Little Horn "Beast" over the people of the nations in the Middle East that is raising up people to destroy the People of the Book and to force them to deny their God.

Shalom
First of all: We do good to remember Luke 6:34 before we light-heartedly declare anybody else’s catastrophes a punishment from God or anybody’s good fortune a reward.

That said: Babylon in its biblical sense is whichever state is the superpower of the day. These days that would certainly not have been Syria, but the USA – and by association the West in general. And just like Babylon and the people of Judah we in the wealthy West often worship other God’s, mainly Mammon or Self.

Jeremiah tells us what kind of behaviour God wants a righteous nation and government to Display:

“ This is what the Lord of the Heavenly Armies, the God of Israel, says:

“Change[a] your ways and your deeds, and I’ll let you live in this place. 4 Don’t trust deceptive words like these, and say, ‘The Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord,’ 5 but rather, truly change[b] your ways and your deeds. If you truly practice justice between each person and his neighbor, 6 and if you don’t oppress the alien, the orphan, and the widow, and don’t shed an innocent person’s blood in this place, and if you don’t follow other gods to your own harm,[c] 7 then I’ll let you dwell in this land, the land that I gave to your ancestors forever and ever.” (Jeremiah 7:3-7)

13 “How terrible for him who builds his house
without righteousness,
and its upper rooms without justice,
who makes his neighbor work for nothing,
and does not pay him his wage.
14 How terrible for[i] him who says, ‘I’ll build a large
house for myself with spacious upper rooms,
who cuts out windows for it,
paneling it with cedar and painting it red.’
15 Are you a king because you try to outdo
everyone with cedar?
Your father ate and drank and upheld
justice and righteousness, did he not?
And then it went well for him.
16 He judged the case of the poor and needy.
Isn’t this what it means to know me?

17 But your eyes and heart are on nothing but
your dishonest gain,
shedding the blood of innocent people,
and practicing oppression and extortion.”

(Jeremiah 22:13-17)

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
nice! i doubt the thread will be very popular, except to the choir lol, but then that's the same as it ever was too, i guess.
i note Christians moaning about "the immigrant problem" in threads that go on for a year lol, i guess we'll see
Well, it certainly didn’t take long for stranger to enter this thread with his far-right bile and being applauded for it.

Over here in Europe, where all major churches help refugees, such positions are mostly held by atheists and I wouldn’t necessarily expect an atheist to know any better. But to hear somebody who claims to know and love Christ bashing His great commandment is – how shall I put it – especially sickening. Christians should be the salt of the earth, those who start living according to the rules of the Kingdom right here and now so that we may shine His light into the darkness of this world.

I know of many refugees who’ve turned to Christ because they saw Him mirrored in His follower’s acts of love and compassion. Would they have turned to Christ if the Christians they had met had greeted them with indifference or fear, envy and hate? Probably not.

Reactions: bbyrd009

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Christianity is in pretty bad shape over here right now i guess, ya.
i live in S Florida right now, and know several functionally insane Boomers, but i guess the guilt load of the world's current condition weighs pretty heavy on them, so i guess history will comment better than i could there.

It might help to understand that these phobic-type people were praised and applauded for generations, and "Greed is Good" was their mantra until '09; and now they can't even abuse women anymore. We're talking about ppl who look up to Trump lol, should tell one all they need to know i guess.

Jesus comes way back in their pack, as you have noted.
Professing Atheists here are often much more spiritual now tbh

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
pretty good description of the US over there, i guess.
The locals aren't confused, i'll put it that way lol

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
pretty good description of the US over there, i guess.
The locals aren't confused, i'll put it that way lol

I am thinking of the song from My Fair lady, "My God, I think she/he has got it."

Others are not understanding what has been writ.

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
First of all: We do good to remember Luke 6:34 before we light-heartedly declare anybody else’s catastrophes a punishment from God or anybody’s good fortune a reward.

That said: Babylon in its biblical sense is whichever state is the superpower of the day. These days that would certainly not have been Syria, but the USA – and by association the West in general. And just like Babylon and the people of Judah we in the wealthy West often worship other God’s, mainly Mammon or Self.

Jeremiah tells us what kind of behaviour God wants a righteous nation and government to Display:

“ This is what the Lord of the Heavenly Armies, the God of Israel, says:

“Change[a] your ways and your deeds, and I’ll let you live in this place. 4 Don’t trust deceptive words like these, and say, ‘The Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord, the Temple of the Lord,’ 5 but rather, truly change[b] your ways and your deeds. If you truly practice justice between each person and his neighbor, 6 and if you don’t oppress the alien, the orphan, and the widow, and don’t shed an innocent person’s blood in this place, and if you don’t follow other gods to your own harm,[c] 7 then I’ll let you dwell in this land, the land that I gave to your ancestors forever and ever.” (Jeremiah 7:3-7)

13 “How terrible for him who builds his house
without righteousness,
and its upper rooms without justice,
who makes his neighbor work for nothing,
and does not pay him his wage.
14 How terrible for[i] him who says, ‘I’ll build a large
house for myself with spacious upper rooms,
who cuts out windows for it,
paneling it with cedar and painting it red.’
15 Are you a king because you try to outdo
everyone with cedar?
Your father ate and drank and upheld
justice and righteousness, did he not?
16 He judged the case of the poor and needy.
Isn’t this what it means to know me?
But your eyes and heart are on nothing but
your dishonest gain,
shedding the blood of innocent people,
and practicing oppression and extortion.”

(Jeremiah 22:13-17)

Revelation 16:17-21 tells us that Babylon will be remembered after the WW1 turmoil. So your statement that Babylon is any super power is a little off, in my book.

Which country today is the dominate super power? America? Russia? China? North Korea?

See what I mean.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am thinking of the song from My Fair lady, "My God she/he has got it."

Others are not understanding what has been writ.

:D
And at the moment I understand little or nothing of anything! :eek: :)

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
there really should be no problem if tackled properly - knowing and accepting that one cannot and should not be forced to love - the dream is being denied to build a world power that cannot and will not dominate or dictate - there are vast areas of uninhabited land available and empty that could be built on by a joint effort etc and the deserts made to bloom again etc - imho - twinc

Reactions: Jay Ross and Helen

junobet

May 20, 2016
Germany
Revelation 16:17-21 tells us that Babylon will be remembered after the WW1 turmoil. So your statement that Babylon is any super power is a little off, in my book.

Which country today is the dominate super power? America? Russia? China? North Korea?

See what I mean.

You see Jay Ross, I have a rather down to earth approach to the Book of Revelation in that I don’t mistreat it as a crystal ball. It doesn’t say anything about WWI other than by the stretch of your imagination. When it talks about Babylon the Babylon it speaks about is the superpower of its day: the Roman Empire. And the answer to the question to who’s today’s superpower is still obvious. Of course the US will fall like all other worldly empires before it and other empires will take its place. One doesn’t need to be a prophet to predict that the fall of the US isn’t too far off. All it takes is having taken lessons from history and watching how the US is dismantling itself these days. Which is a shame really: had the US stuck to its own ideals – religious tolerance and human rights - it could indeed have stepped in the footsteps of Cyrus The Great and have been “a city upon a hill”.

The Bible tells us that societies are judged by the way they treat their weakest members and strangers. The Book of Revelation is addressed to Christians who suffered in an unjust society- It also gives comfort to those who suffer today: all will be good in the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus and aspen

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You see Jay Ross, I have a rather down to earth approach to the Book of Revelation in that I don’t mistreat it as a crystal ball. It doesn’t say anything about WWI other than by the stretch of your imagination. When it talks about Babylon the Babylon it speaks about is the superpower of its day: the Roman Empire. And the answer to the question to who’s today’s superpower is still obvious. Of course the US will fall like all other worldly empires before it and other empires will take its place. One doesn’t need to be a prophet to predict that the fall of the US isn’t too far off. All it takes is having taken lessons from history and watching how the US is dismantling itself these days. Which is a shame really: had the US stuck to its own ideals – religious tolerance and human rights - it could indeed have stepped in the footsteps of Cyrus The Great and have been “a city upon a hill”.

The Bible tells us that societies are judged by the way they treat their weakest members and strangers. The Book of Revelation is addressed to Christians who suffered in an unjust society- It also gives comfort to those who suffer today: all will be good in the end.

Well there in lies you problem. Holding on to the tradition of the reformation fathers with their demonization of the Roman Catholic Church with the connection to the Roman Empire being the link.

Revelation 16:17 - 21 does describe WW1 and the events that happened around that time concerning Jerusalem and the neighbouring nations . The English translation has an error in that it speaks of an earthquake rather than of the turmoil/war when it translated the Greek word σεισμὸς. This Greek word is found 8 times in the following verses: - Matthew 8:24, 28:2, Acts 16:26, Revelation 6:12, 11:13, 11:19, 16:18, 16:18 and in each case, it is better understood when it is translated as turmoil associated with people being slain by others.

That for me describes war. After WW1, Jerusalem was divided into three distinct areas and the control of each area was given to different nations and groups. The cites of the nations around Jerusalem also fell during WW1. And, after WW1, the Land of the Chaldeans was revived because of the oil in the Land and it came back to life after around 2,000 years of having been devastated and desolated by the Eastern Greek Empire.

I wonder how down to earth the above view is? It matches history against prophecy when looking back at the events that have already unfolded around 100 years ago. No crystal ball gazing required.

Shalom