Did Speaking In Tongues Pass Away With The Early Church ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
Some people think that speaking in tongues passed away with the early Church, some people think it's of the devil, and some believe it is a gift from God to be used today to build up our most Holy faith. What do you think about it ?

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
I've never atended a church where people speak in tongues so I've never seen it happen and yet I've known so many people who are filled with the Holy Spirit and have never spoken in tongues. Neither have I

There are those who say that you have not recieved the Holy Spirit if you can't speak in tongues but they forget that there are other gifts of the spirit. There are chruches where people who don't speak in tongues are made to feel inadequate and lacking because they don't ahve that gift and as a result many fake it

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never seen it done correctly - it has always sounded like made up language rather than different real languages - also I've never seen a person translate it.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Some people think that speaking in tongues passed away with the early Church, some people think it's of the devil, and some believe it is a gift from God to be used today to build up our most Holy faith. What do you think about it ?

If you are talking about the tongues of Acts, they are still being used in churches. My son attends a church that speaks Spanish. I know people that speak Danish in their church, some speak Swedish or German. Those are the types of tongues spoken about in Acts. They were not unknown languages. It was just that Peter did not understand them.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I was first introduced to speaking in tongues in the Baptist Church. Speaking in tongues is not an unusual gift when attending or frequenting Spirit filled Churches.

"All Praise and Glory to God" ^_^

Blessings!!!

Reactions: Pisteuo

Templar81

Apr 14, 2010
UK
But my point is that a church where no-one speaks in tongues can be just as spirit filled because there are other gifts liek knowledge, wisdom and piety for exampl, even the fear of God is a gift of the Spirit.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Templar!

I am only referring to this gift because of the OP...

Blessings!!!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine as taught by Smith Wigglesworth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oUM6WphESo

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The doctrine of the Baptism of the Holy Ghost as William Seymour would teach it. To me the speaking in tongues is not nearly as important as bearing the spiritual fruit and communion with God. The tongues are suppose to help us 'make intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.' Praying in the heavenly language is letting the Spirit pray prayers for us, as the Spirit does a better job in communicating with the Heavenly Father.

Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. - Romans 8:26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfOoN5Q6Jmc

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
I've never seen it done correctly - it has always sounded like made up language rather than different real languages - also I've never seen a person translate it.

-- You yourself said you are Catholic. That implies that there have not been very many opportunities for you to actually see it done, "correctly" or otherwise.

Speaking in tongues is real. Over the last 2000 years over 10,000 different languages and local dialects have disappeared from the face of the earth.

So that means that just because a person hearing someone else speaking in tongues doesn't recognize the language, that doesn't mean it isn't (or wasn't) an actual language. This is true regardless of how strange the utterings sound to a person.

The first time I was in Saudi Arabia years ago and heard Arabic being spoken rapidly (an argument between two merchants). It sounded so unusual that I thought they were making it up as they went. And this was AFTER I had taken an introductory Arabic course.

I have been present a number of times when a person has translated what someone said "in an unknown tongue."
Sometimes it is simply a message from God encouraging his people or voicing a concern, and sometimes it is a specific prediction.
And yes, those predictions have come to pass.

Someone shared with me the story that their father witnessed when he was a boy.
A church had members who because speaking in tongues and seeking spiritual gifts.
The practice was not something normally affiliated with that denomination.
The leadership of that denomination became concerned and dispatched someone to that church to see for themselves what was transpiring.

What that person witnessed blew him away, but the kicker was a 10 year old girl that walked up to him and told him that God says he should look favorably on this and not have an issue, and then walked away......what stunned him was that this little girl said it to him in ancient Greek, a language be first began studying in Seminary and that a 10 year old midwestern girl would not likely speak.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Seems like I read something about tongues of angels also. If I did not know how to pray correctly about something then God could give me this so I could pray what he wanted to be prayed? I have never prayed in tongues or been around people who do but I have asked God to give me this. I sure hope he does! It would be so awesome to have God use my voice in this way!

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- You yourself said you are Catholic. That implies that there have not been very many opportunities for you to actually see it done, "correctly" or otherwise.

Speaking in tongues is real. Over the last 2000 years over 10,000 different languages and local dialects have disappeared from the face of the earth.

So that means that just because a person hearing someone else speaking in tongues doesn't recognize the language, that doesn't mean it isn't (or wasn't) an actual language. This is true regardless of how strange the utterings sound to a person.

The first time I was in Saudi Arabia years ago and heard Arabic being spoken rapidly (an argument between two merchants). It sounded so unusual that I thought they were making it up as they went. And this was AFTER I had taken an introductory Arabic course.

I have been present a number of times when a person has translated what someone said "in an unknown tongue."
Sometimes it is simply a message from God encouraging his people or voicing a concern, and sometimes it is a specific prediction.
And yes, those predictions have come to pass.

Someone shared with me the story that their father witnessed when he was a boy.
A church had members who because speaking in tongues and seeking spiritual gifts.
The practice was not something normally affiliated with that denomination.
The leadership of that denomination became concerned and dispatched someone to that church to see for themselves what was transpiring.

What that person witnessed blew him away, but the kicker was a 10 year old girl that walked up to him and told him that God says he should look favorably on this and not have an issue, and then walked away......what stunned him was that this little girl said it to him in ancient Greek, a language be first began studying in Seminary and that a 10 year old midwestern girl would not likely speak.

I became Catholic when I was 30. I graduated from an Assembles of God HS. I have had plenty of experience.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Unfortunately, there is no such things as an "Assemblies of God High School" in the United States.

And you forget that you mentioned a completely different denomination you said you grew up with.

Please try again.

goodshepard55

Feb 27, 2011
Australian
Seems like I read something about tongues of angels also. If I did not know how to pray correctly about something then God could give me this so I could pray what he wanted to be prayed? I have never prayed in tongues or been around people who do but I have asked God to give me this. I sure hope he does! It would be so awesome to have God use my voice in this way!

Shirley, me being from the Bible Belt of the USA, when God gave me tongues...I was absolutely terrified...I was raised that tongues were of satan these days, because it only happened at Pentecost and then not again...Boy was I taught wrong..tongues started at Pentecost for the rest of the gentiles...Keep seeking and asking cause you never know when it will happen, btw..I only pray in tongues now, I just let the Holy Spirit go with them and enjoy the results...Love you and hope everyone has a Merry Christmas...

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Unfortunately, there is no such things as an "Assemblies of God High School" in the United States.

And you forget that you mentioned a completely different denomination you said you grew up with.

Please try again.

Capital Christian High School, Rancho Cordova, CA

'Assemblies of God' is no the name of the high school it is it's affiliation.

I accept your apology.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you are talking about the tongues of Acts, they are still being used in churches. My son attends a church that speaks Spanish. I know people that speak Danish in their church, some speak Swedish or German. Those are the types of tongues spoken about in Acts. They were not unknown languages. It was just that Peter did not understand them.
Not exactly Tom.... The Bible doesn't say Peter didn't understand it. I think he did.... At least he understood what was being said, and he even interpreted it! Others mocked because they didn't understand it.

Have a look at 1 Cor 14:2. There is unknown tongues, but that's not the experience in Acts 2 as others have pointed out. It is a gift, though not one that any man can appreciate. Being a good preacher can be appreciated by others. Tim Tebow's gifts can be appreciated by others. This is a gift that can only be appreciated by God. And it has limitations. I don't fully understand it, but I understand it ain't Acts 2, which I do understand.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Capital Christian High School, Rancho Cordova, CA

'Assemblies of God' is no the name of the high school it is it's affiliation.

I accept your apology.

-- You yourself just admitted there is no "Assemblies of God High School."
Thank you for admitting your error.

And if you went to one high school, affiliated with one church, you ended up with ONE church's experience.
If it was a good church or a bad church that alone was the extent.

Hardly supports the "I I graduated from an Assembles of God HS. I have had plenty of experience" statement.

I have lived in many places. Have regularly attended churches that were on fire and churches that were as cold as ice and didn't even know it.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- You yourself just admitted there is no "Assemblies of God High School."
Thank you for admitting your error.

And if you went to one high school, affiliated with one church, you ended up with ONE church's experience.
If it was a good church or a bad church that alone was the extent.

Hardly supports the "I I graduated from an Assembles of God HS. I have had plenty of experience" statement.

I have lived in many places. Have regularly attended churches that were on fire and churches that were as cold as ice and didn't even know it.

Here is a page from the Capital Christian High School Student Handbook:

PHILOSOPHY AND OBJECTIVES
Mission Statement
It is the mission of Capital Christian School to prepare our students to deal with the issues and
realities of life by developing their spiritual, academic, social and physical potential, all from the
foundation of biblical truth.
Expected Schoolwide Learning Results (ESLRs)
1. A CCS graduate will demonstrate an understanding of Biblical knowledge and truth with the
purpose of developing a Christian World View resulting in a personal, defendable relationship
with Jesus Christ.
2. A CCS graduate will develop the interpersonal and organizational skills needed to function
effectively in life.
3. A CCS graduate will be a learner who demonstrates a solid acquisition of the academic
disciplines needed to allow them to fulfill God=s plan for their life.
4. A CCS graduate will be an effective communicator.
5. A CCS graduate will be a critical thinker.
Philosophy
Capital Christian School has high spiritual and academic standards, and includes the development of
the whole person spiritually, mentally, socially, physically, and emotionally. Emphasis is placed on
learning about God and the truths of God's Word in relationship to man and his world, recognizing
that the way to God comes through personal faith in Jesus Christ, and Christian maturity comes by
application of the truths of the Bible in all areas of life. In its approach to spiritual matters, the
school shall be consistent with Capital Christian Center and the General Council of the Assemblies
of God, but shall also be respectful of and sensitive to the teachings of other evangelical
denominations.

This is hardly the limit of my experience in the presence of congregations who speak in tongues. Sorry Foreigner - just admit you underestimated my experience - it's okay, I am not going to treat you poorly for being humble - I think it is a good thing!!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
Not exactly Tom.... The Bible doesn't say Peter didn't understand it. I think he did.... At least he understood what was being said, and he even interpreted it! Others mocked because they didn't understand it.

Have a look at 1 Cor 14:2. There is unknown tongues, but that's not the experience in Acts 2 as others have pointed out. It is a gift, though not one that any man can appreciate. Being a good preacher can be appreciated by others. Tim Tebow's gifts can be appreciated by others. This is a gift that can only be appreciated by God. And it has limitations. I don't fully understand it, but I understand it ain't Acts 2, which I do understand.

Of course Peter knew what he was saying, I never said he didn’t. Peter did not speak all of the languages spoken by all the different people in town that day. Somewhere between Peter’s mouth and the hearer’s ear the language changed so that the hearer heard what was being said, exactly, right down to their very dialect. The word “unknown” is not in the text in Acts or 1 Cor 14:2, 4, 14, 19