Do People Still Need Weekly Rest?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20
8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Many of us use Bible software or websites that feature commentary by Adam Clarke. It is very popular among scholars. Regarding the necessity of a weekly day of rest, he said:

"The Sabbath was made for man - That he might have the seventh part of his whole time to devote to the purposes of bodily rest and spiritual exercises. And in these respects it is of infinite use to mankind. Where no Sabbath is observed, there disease, poverty, and profligacy, generally prevail. Had we no Sabbath, we should soon have no religion." Adam Clarke - Commentary on Mark 2:27 (Reads like a fulfilled prophecy, no?)

Another great man of God, Dwight L. Moody, had this to say:

"I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath." It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was--in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age. The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word "remember," showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding? I believe that the sabbath question to-day is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; if you give up the church the home goes; and if the home goes the nation goes. That is the direction in which we are traveling. The church of God is losing its power on account of so many people giving up the Sabbath, and using it to promote selfishness." Dwight L. Moody - Weighed And Wanting, pp. 43-44

Do people still need weekly rest? Or is the 4th of God's commandments really only a suggestion

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20
8Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: 10But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: 11For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Many of us use Bible software or websites that feature commentary by Adam Clarke. It is very popular among scholars. Regarding the necessity of a weekly day of rest, he said:

"The Sabbath was made for man - That he might have the seventh part of his whole time to devote to the purposes of bodily rest and spiritual exercises. And in these respects it is of infinite use to mankind. Where no Sabbath is observed, there disease, poverty, and profligacy, generally prevail. Had we no Sabbath, we should soon have no religion." Adam Clarke - Commentary on Mark 2:27 (Reads like a fulfilled prophecy, no?)

"I honestly believe that this commandment is just as binding today as it ever was. I have talked with men who have said that it has been abrogated, but they have never been able to point to any place in the Bible where God repealed it. When Christ was on earth, He did nothing to set it aside; He freed it from the traces under which the scribes and Pharisees had put it, and gave it its true place. "The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath." It is just as practicable and as necessary for men today as it ever was--in fact, more than ever, because we live in such an intense age. The Sabbath was binding in Eden, and it has been in force ever since. This fourth commandment begins with the word "remember," showing that the Sabbath already existed when God wrote this law on the tables of stone at Sinai. How can men claim that this one commandment has been done away with when they will admit that the other nine are still binding? I believe that the sabbath question to-day is a vital one for the whole country. It is the burning question of the present time. If you give up the Sabbath the church goes; if you give up the church the home goes; and if the home goes the nation goes. That is the direction in which we are traveling. The church of God is losing its power on account of so many people giving up the Sabbath, and using it to promote selfishness." Dwight L. Moody - Weighed And Wanting, pp. 43-44

Do people still need weekly rest? Or is the 4th of God's commandments really only a suggestion

Moody was not a theologian, but an evangelist. His theology here is bad. Paul did delegitimize Sabbath along with other elements of the Law in the matter of Christian *requirements.*

Col 2.16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

On the matter of health, I do not expect that Adam Clarke was an expert--his field was theological. Not being an expert in health, but being more knowledgeable in theology, I would conclude that rest is important, but that having that rest only on Saturdays is *not* necessary for health. ;)

Reactions: Nancy

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 20

Well this is an interesting question, and more intriguing than the typical debate over which day it should be.

I have to confess I have gone through periods where I observed it and periods where I have not. I remember looking forward to Sabbaths when I observed them, as well as New Moons and the Jewish holidays. It was not only fun but really also pleasant to think about the idea that no matter what needed to be done I would actually have some time off and no one could tell me otherwise, because they were Divinely set aside times for me and the Lord...

And I have to confess honestly: When I have not observed them (which is most of my Christian life) I have often become overwhelmed to the point that even the slightest tasks seemed to be too much, and I just wanted to run from life. So, yes. I would say we still need it, all of it, if we were wise. But then, I don't hold it to be an absolute law that can never be broken under any circumstances either. But that having been said, I think in my case I may have used my liberty as an opportunity to "sin," i.e. I've ended up wearing myself out, especially with spiritual work, when really I should have kept the pattern set forth in scripture for seeing that it didn't happen.

God bless, and this may have ministered to me. I'll have to go get in prayer and find out for sure, LoL : )

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well this is an interesting question, and more intriguing than the typical debate over which day it should be.

I have to confess I have gone through periods where I observed it and periods where I have not. I remember looking forward to Sabbaths when I observed them, as well as New Moons and the Jewish holidays. It was not only fun but really also pleasant to think about the idea that no matter what needed to be done I would actually have some time off and no one could tell me otherwise, because they were Divinely set aside times for me and the Lord...

And I have to confess honestly: When I have not observed them (which is most of my Christian life) I have often become overwhelmed to the point that even the slightest tasks seemed to be too much, and I just wanted to run from life. So, yes. I would say we still need it, all of it, if we were wise. But then, I don't hold it to be an absolute law that can never be broken under any circumstances either. But that having been said, I think in my case I may have used my liberty as an opportunity to "sin," i.e. I've ended up wearing myself out, especially with spiritual work, when really I should have kept the pattern set forth in scripture for seeing that it didn't happen.

God bless, and this may have ministered to me. I'll have to go get in prayer and find out for sure, LoL : )
What an incredibly thoughtful post. Thank you, HIH. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moody was not a theologian, but an evangelist. His theology here is bad. Paul did delegitimize Sabbath along with other elements of the Law in the matter of Christian *requirements.*

Col 2.16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

On the matter of health, I do not expect that Adam Clarke was an expert--his field was theological. Not being an expert in health, but being more knowledgeable in theology, I would conclude that rest is important, but that having that rest only on Saturdays is *not* necessary for health. ;)
Thank you for participating. ;)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do people still need weekly rest?
Daily rest for me!

:)

But that aside, I work while it is day, the night is coming in which no man can work. I don't really look at what day it is, or whether it's my rest schedule, rather, is there need to be met?

Him who serves, with the strength God gives.

I've found that even when I'm exhausted, then the need arises, and I choose to serve, and strength comes, sometimes just eradicating the previous exhaustion.

But I also believe that the Sabbath is intended to be permanent for the children of God, that we always rest in our reconciliation to God, and in so doing, our physical and mental strength is supplied by God. Sometimes by in taking a day off, and in eating right, and sometimes by just filling us up with strength.

Much love!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Daily rest for me!

:)

But that aside, I work while it is day, the night is coming in which no man can work. I don't really look at what day it is, or whether it's my rest schedule, rather, is there need to be met?

Him who serves, with the strength God gives.

I've found that even when I'm exhausted, then the need arises, and I choose to serve, and strength comes, sometimes just eradicating the previous exhaustion.

But I also believe that the Sabbath is intended to be permanent for the children of God, that we always rest in our reconciliation to God, and in so doing, our physical and mental strength is supplied by God. Sometimes by in taking a day off, and in eating right, and sometimes by just filling us up with strength.

Much love!
Sounds like it's strictly spiritual for you, then?

Reactions: marks

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think we need to remember the sabbath was given to Israel and not to everyone.

Deuteronomy 5:15 And remember that thou wast a servant in the land of Egypt, and that the Lord thy God brought thee out thence through a mighty hand and by a stretched out arm: therefore the Lord thy God commanded thee to keep the sabbath day.

It was a present, a gift.

Exodus 16:29 See, for that the Lord hath given you the sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.

It was also to be observed by people if they were servants, and by animals who were owned by Israelites. It didn't matter if other Gentiles kept it or not. So a rabbi told me -- I looked through the Bible found he was right.

Deuteronomy 5:14 ut the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, nor thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thine ox, nor thine ass, nor any of thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates; that thy manservant and thy maidservant may rest as well as thou.

I don't think it does much good for people not ready to enter the perpetual rest. Its purpose to teach people how to get their minds and emotions to come to rest. Israel could have found the eternal rest but did not want to. Nevertheless the sabbath was there to help get to keep trying.

95:7 For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand. To day if ye will hear his voice,
8 Harden not your heart, as in the provocation, and as in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my work.
10 Forty years long was I grieved with this generation, and said, It is a people that do err in their heart, and they have not known my ways:
11 Unto whom I sware in my wrath that they should not enter into my rest.

The seventh trump sounded for them, but it frightened them. It rattled them. It didn't frighten Moses. His mind understood what was happening.

Exodus 20:18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
19 And they said unto Moses, Speak thou with us, and we will hear: but let not God speak with us, lest we die.

The saint experiences it as a profound silence. All is at peace.

1 Kings 19:12 And after the earthquake a fire; but the Lord was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice.

Revelation 10:7 But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

Begin to sound? Yes, compare to:

Exodus 19:19 And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice.

The mystery has already been revealed to some of God's prophets. They like Moses and Elijah heard this trump. Angelic voices sound differently depending on who's hearing them. A saint can hear a spiritual whisper while other might not hear anything. If it's at high volume, the saint will hear something sensible while others get a threatening sound.

John 12:28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again.
29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him.
30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
31 Now is the judgment of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.

The saint should be ready to the seventh trump at any time. I think many people have heard it, at lower "volume" (if volume is the right word for silence). Things get quiet and peaceful; and that is God preparing them for a more profound entering into the eternal rest. I think that keeping the sabbath might be useful for some people and less so for others.

I think that avoiding the busy voices on television, movies and radio for at least one day a week would help too. Give your mind a break. Those voices add to the confusion already present in many people's minds. They have thoughts swirling around, left unfinished since they don't want to make a decision or it's something they don't want to confront. The voices from the world produce a false peace by distracting us from those unfinished thoughts we don't want to look at. Remove the voices from the world, and those unfinished thoughts will start popping up, asking to be resolved. The unfinished thoughts mean your mind is never at rest. They can produce mental illness. Then people take pills to suppress their thoughts -- but they're still there. You can see that by how people on those medications sometimes go berserk -- the pile of ideas gets so big, the pills can't suppress them anymore. Then the unfinished thoughts, many of them violent, break out. It's not an accident that pill meant to solve mental illness can lead to wild outbreaks of violence. I say it's better to relax, let the thoughts come and finish them when they pop up. Ideas are completely harmless unless you decide to act on them. Rejecting bad ideas is a good thing. Don't be afraid of having bad ideas. The sabbath is ideal for bringing the mind to rest, I think, but any day would do.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
People don't need a weekly rest today as much as they used to when the worked six long and full days. Our rest periods are more frequent and most of us can enjoy so much more free time than our ancestors did. We still need that quiet time with God to praise and worship, pray and listen but the Sabbath rest is today more about family - church or natural - than ceasing from our labours for a day.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think we need to remember the sabbath was given to Israel and not to everyone.
Yes it was given to Israel, but it is a general principle for mankind.

Furthermore the Lord's Day -- the first day of the week (the eighth day) -- also known as the Christian Sabbath, is based on the same principles as the 7th day Sabbath: (1) rest, (2) worship, (3) good works.

Even the secular world needs to practice this principle of Sabbath rest, since it is a necessity for both physical, mental, and emotional well-being. But from God's perspective it is for spiritual well-being.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it was given to Israel, but it is a general principle for mankind.

Furthermore the Lord's Day -- the first day of the week (the eighth day) -- also known as the Christian Sabbath, is based on the same principles as the 7th day Sabbath: (1) rest, (2) worship, (3) good works.

Even the secular world needs to practice this principle of Sabbath rest, since it is a necessity for both physical, mental, and emotional well-being. But from God's perspective it is for spiritual well-being.
How can be the "Christian Sabbath" when the sabbath is the seventh day of the week?

Why did some early Christians observe Saturday and others Sunday? We even see Paul observing the sabbath.

It was the unbaptized Emperor Constantine in 321 who decreed Sunday should be observed. A few years later a council forbade people from observing the sabbath. I don't care what day if any people observe, but let's be honest and admit Constantine imposed it and the Catholic Church adopted it because he wanted it.

It was a pagan thing, and I find it odd when I see "Easter sunrise services." I almost got out of my car once, wanting to go tell them, "He is not here for he is risen." He was not resurrected at sunrise. What an idea, yet people go to face the rising sun.

Ezekiel 8:16 And he brought me into the inner court of the Lord's house, and, behold, at the door of the temple of the Lord, between the porch and the altar, were about five and twenty men, with their backs toward the temple of the Lord, and their faces toward the east; and they worshipped the sun toward the east.

Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'd say that's just cultural custom. There's nothing in the Bible like that.
Keep digging. And don't expect everything to be stated EXPLICITLY. This is the modern malady among Christians today. If it is not explicit, it does not exist! "Show me where it says EXACTLY blah, blah, blah".

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Keep digging. And don't expect everything to be stated EXPLICITLY. This is the modern malady among Christians today. If it is not explicit, it does not exist! "Show me where it says EXACTLY blah, blah, blah".
Show me. It doesn't have to come out and say it, I know it doesn't. But make your best case!

I'll show you exactly where it says that our sabbath is to rest from our works by . . . well, you know. In Hebrews. I'm certain you already know what God explicitly says.

So show me where you think you see something that contradicts that.

And being as the Sabbath was covenantal between God and Israel, what is the associated covenant between gentile believers and God concerning the "Christian Sabbath"?

And since when is asking for a clear teaching "blah blah blah"?

Much love!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How can be the "Christian Sabbath" when the sabbath is the seventh day of the week?
The sabbath is technically a day of rest after six days of labor. For Jews today it is the 7th day of the week. For Christians it is the first day of the week. The principle remains. God is more concerned about the spiritual principles than unbelieving people holding to a 7th day sabbath while rejecting Christ.