Don't Unitarians deny that Jesus is God? What about eternal Hell?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does believing that Jesus is not God have to do with believing or not believing in 'eternal hell?' And what does 'eternal' and 'hell' , both as separate words with separate meanings, say to you? Please show some scripture support.

Back after sleep....

Reactions: amadeus

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does believing that Jesus is not God have to do with believing or not believing in 'eternal hell?' And what does 'eternal' and 'hell' , both as separate words with separate meanings, say to you? Please show some scripture support.

Back after sleep....
Maybe JW's can answer that, unScriptural of course.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Don't Unitarians deny that Jesus is God?
They are not the only ones who do not see Jesus as Almighty God.
There are those of us who see Jesus as a "divine" "Son of God".....but not as a "deity" or "God the Son" (which is nowhere mentioned in scripture.
Jesus is still the linchpin of the Christian faith, our Lord and Savior....but he is not worshipped, and he is not equal to his God and Father.

No scripture says so. (John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

What about eternal Hell?

What is "hell"? Is it what Christendom describes as a place for the wicked to suffer eternally in flames?
No! There are several words mistranslated as "hell" in many Bibles.

"Hades" is not a place of torture but a place of rest. Corresponding to the Hebrew "Sheol" it is simply the common grave of all mankind where they "Rest in Peace". No one is Sheol is conscious, (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) and hades is said to give up its dead which corresponds to the promised resurrection. (Revelation 20:13-14; John 5:28-29) Then death and hades are thrown into the "lake of fire" which symbolizes complete destruction. It is not a literal place.

"Gehenna" is another word translated as "hell", but nothing alive was ever cast into "Gehenna".
It was the city's garbage dump where the carcasses of dead animals and the bodies of executed criminals were cast for disposal. It was kept burning day and night with the addition of brimstone (sulfur) to consume the refuse....what the flames missed, the maggots finished off. That is the picture painted in the Bible. To be cast into fiery Gehenna was a symbol of being eternally destroyed, without hope of a resurrection. A parallel expression to that of Jesus is found at Isaiah 66:24, which shows that for those who rebel against God "their worm will never die, their fire will never go out"......

I am afraid that neither of these beliefs are backed up by scripture. They are a product of vivid imaginations IMO.

Last edited:

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't Unitarians deny that Jesus is God?
They are not the only ones who do not see Jesus as Almighty God.
There are those of us who see Jesus as a "divine" "Son of God".....but not as a "deity" or "God the Son" (which is nowhere mentioned in scripture.
Jesus is still the linchpin of the Christian faith, our Lord and Savior....but he is not worshipped, and he is not equal to his God and Father.

No scripture says so. (John 17:3; 1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

John 1 The Word was God.
What about eternal Hell?
What is "hell"? Is it what Christendom describes as a place for the wicked to suffer eternally in flames?
No! There are several word mistranslated as "hell" in many Bibles.
How are you qualified to rewrite our Bible?
"Hades" is not a place of torture but a place of rest.
"The rich man also died"
"being in torments"
"he cried"
"I am tormented in this flame"
"this place of torment"

Luke 16:22-28 (NKJV)
22 The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.' 27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
Corresponding to the Hebrew "Sheol" it is simply the common grave of all mankind where they "Rest in Peace". No one is Sheol is conscious, (Ecclesiastes 9:5, 10) and hades is said to give up its dead which corresponds to the promised resurrection. (Revelation 20:13-14; John 5:28-29) Then death and hades are thrown into the "lake of fire" which symbolizes complete destruction. It is not a literal place.

"Gehenna" is another word translated as "hell", but nothing alive was ever cast into "Gehenna".
It was the city's garbage dump where the carcasses of dead animals and the bodies of executed criminals were cast for disposal. It was kept burning day and night with the addition of brimstone (sulfur) to consume the refuse....what the flames missed, the maggots finished off. That is the picture painted in the Bible. To be cast into fiery Gehenna was a symbol of being eternally destroyed, without hope of a resurrection. A parallel expression to that of Jesus is found at Isaiah 66:24, which shows that for those who rebel against God "their worm will never die, their fire will never go out"......
I am afraid that neither of these beliefs are backed up by scripture. They are a product of vivid imaginations IMO.
You're a Hebrew and Greek expert? Really?

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't think you're qualified to rewrite our Bible, no matter what Kingdom Hall tells you.
Since Unitarians deny that Jesus is very God, they have no choice except to deny that there is an eternal Hell. The two denials go together and I am sure you can see why.

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
John 1 The Word was God.
That is not the way it reads in Greek.

How are you qualified to rewrite our Bible?
We have not rewritten the Bible at all, we just undid the misinterpretation that almost 2,000 years of apostasy had misconstrued.

"The rich man also died"
"being in torments"
"he cried"
"I am tormented in this flame"
"this place of torment"

Luke 16:22-28 (NKJV)
22 The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom. 24 Then he cried and said, 'Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.' 25 But Abraham said, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.' 27 Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house, 28 for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'

palm
You do realize that this is a parable? Not real people in a real situation. The rich man represents the Pharisees and the Beggar represents the "lost sheep" to whom Jesus was sent. Their situation changed and they swapped places when Jesus came and gave his life.
Jesus' preaching and condemnation created the torment for the Pharisees....but a single drop of water was never going to cool their tongue. And its hard to imagine that heaven and hell are within speaking distance to one another....

You're a Hebrew and Greek expert? Really?
No I'm not, but I rely on those who are. I regularly compare translations and refer to Strongs Concordance and Interlinear Bibles to get to the truth. Its not that hard really.

I don't think you're qualified to rewrite our Bible, no matter what Kingdom Hall tells you.
The Kingdom Hall is a building...it tells me nothing. All my info comes from a careful study of the scriptures....you should try it some time....

Reactions: Wrangler

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not the way it reads in Greek.
Who told you that? Kingdom Hall maybe?
We have not rewritten the Bible at all, we just undid the misinterpretation that almost 2,000 years of apostasy had misconstrued.
We? So only JW's are Christians?
palm
You do realize that this is a parable?
Says Kingdom Hall, again?
Not real people in a real situation.
Abraham, Moses and Lazarus aren't real people?
The rich man represents the Pharisees and the Beggar represents the "lost sheep" to whom Jesus was sent. Their situation changed and they swapped places when Jesus came and gave his life.
Jesus' preaching and condemnation created the torment for the Pharisees....but a single drop of water was never going to cool their tongue. And its hard to imagine that heaven and hell are within speaking distance to one another....
You're parroting Kingdom Hall!
No I'm not, but I rely on those who are. I regularly compare translations and refer to Strongs Concordance and Interlinear Bibles to get to the truth. Its not that hard really
Even YOUR NWT says you're wrong.
The Kingdom Hall is a building...it tells me nothing. All my info comes from a careful study of the scriptures....you should try it some time....
You don't go to Kingdom Hall? Sure you do! That's why you're doing the JW Bible TWIST!

Last edited:

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe JW's can answer that, unScriptural of course.
No, I believe you need to answer my post and not anyone else.

Your track record indicates you are quick to point out and plaster accusatory headlines in bold and large letters, tapped from the poisoned well of your denominational teachings and doctrine, and are very short or non-existent on its details as to why you keep blurting them out in the first place.

It will be very hard this time in causing the shutdown of another thread. Maybe you can get this one, of yours, shut down this time?

Reactions: Wrangler

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I believe you need to answer my post and not anyone else.
What didn't I answer? Don't you like Biblical answers?
Your track record indicates you are quick to point out and plaster accusatory headlines in bold and large letters, tapped from the poisoned well of your denominational teachings and doctrine, and are very short or non-existent on its details as to why you keep blurting them out in the first place.
Can you prove any of that or are you falsely accusing? I'm being kind.
It will be very hard this time in causing the shutdown of another thread. Maybe you can get this one, of yours, shut down this time?
Why don't you just stick to the Bible rather than falsely accusing?

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why not simply Google, what unitarians believe. Rather than ask that question when the rules here warn against discussing Unitarianism?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not the one trying to rewrite our Bible. Look in your mirror.

It's not about re-writing but ejecting trinitarianism interpretation onto unitarian text - which the whole Bible is. Funny thing, the Gospel of John is the most anti-trinitarian book of the entire New Testament.

kcnalp

Apr 5, 2020
Indianapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know I've answered this many, many times ... Not WHO, but WHAT. Words are WHAT's not WHO's. God's words are an attribute of his being, not another being.
Then why is the Word called He? lol
You're so JW!