God commands disobedience to his word

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I chronically hear Christians say that God would never command people to go against his word... I really can't believe people that know scripture hold on to that belief... it's easily proven False yet the myth remains strangely prevalent.

God says thou shall not kill and then orders the Israelites to kill many people including women, children, and babies that were without sin.

Here is an example:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

Numbers 21:9
So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.

God commanded Moses to do the exact opposite of what he formerly commanded.
download (20).jpg
Not to mention, it looks a bit satanic.

God can do whatever he wants to.

God can and has had people do the opposite of what scripture says. The first Christians did the opposite of what the Mosaic law commands. Yet Jesus said he came not to abolish the law or remove one word from the law. God changes his mind a lot ;)

So, if the a church does something that the Bible says not to do, who knows if it was actually inspired by God? Since God has a reputation for commanding people to go against his word, I wouldn't put it past him to be responsible for the decisions of church councils ;)

The Bible alone Doctrine is built on a premise that blows itself up! The Bible alone is all that is needed to prove that the Bible alone is not the sole rule of sacred theology! Ouch!

I love you all it's just I constantly hear Christians calling other Christians pagan based on a "Bible alone" premise, and I seek unity and tolerance among Christians. That's all! :)

Reactions: Helen

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you worship an unethical God and you see no problem with that.....yikes
I worship God and hope he changes his mind on some issues. Moses got God to "repent of the evil he planned to do to Israel".

So yes, I love and worship a God who I disagree with...so did Moses

Last edited:
Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I worship God and hope he changes his mind on some issues. Moses got God to "repent of the evil he planned to do to Israel".
So yes, I love and worship a God who I disagree with...so did Moses
You're not just a pretty face, I see...you've got something between your ears !
I don't have an opinion in this thread...but, I appreciate a good retort.

Reactions: Trump0101

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I chronically hear Christians say that God would never command people to go against his word... I really can't believe people that know scripture hold on to that belief... it's easily proven False yet the myth remains strangely prevalent.

God says thou shall not kill and then orders the Israelites to kill many people including women, children, and babies that were without sin.

Here is an example:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth:

So Moses made a bronze snake and put it up on a pole. Then when anyone was bitten by a snake and looked at the bronze snake, they lived.

View attachment 1589

God can and has had people do the opposite of what scripture says. The first Christians did the opposite of what the Mosaic law commands. Yet Jesus said he came not to abolish the law or remove one word from the law. God changes his mind a lot ;)

So, if the a church does something that the Bible says not to do, who knows if it was actually inspired by God? Since God has a reputation for commanding people to go against his word, I wouldn't put it past him to be responsible for the decisions of church councils ;)

The Bible alone Doctrine is built on a premise that blows itself up! The Bible alone is all that is needed to prove that the Bible alone is not the sole rule of sacred theology! Ouch!

I love you all it's just I constantly hear Christians calling other Christians pagan based on a "Bible alone" premise, and I seek unity and tolerance among Christians. That's all! :)

A few things wrong with your assumptions. In the two examples you gave, God clearly says why he allowed the Israelites to drive out the inhabitants (clue: it's just the opposite of what you stated about the women and children). "Thou shalt not kill" is addressing murder. Someone taking a life into their own hands. But God is allowed to use death as a punishment given that we all already have that sentence pronounced on us due to sin. Thru Christ, God makes this right again by raising everyone good and wicked alike.

As for the serpent, the NT explains that by Christ Himself. The serpent was not to be used other than that one time and that was to LOOK at it, not worship it as an idol. However, because of the healing, it later became a snare to the Israelites and they did just that (worship it) and had to be destroyed. Likewise, we are to look to Christ one time for salvation, but not to hang crucifixes all over the place. I don't even have a picture of Jesus hanging anywhere as nobody knows what he looked like an such a picture would then become a form of idolatry. The Old Testament has types and shadow of things to come which was the case in this incident. Context is important.

Reactions: Truth

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God commanded that we should not 'murder' other people. He also commanded his people to act as his excutioners and excute his judgement on nations he had judged.
There was no contradition or changing of Gods mind in this.
By the way the whole bible teches that no one is with out sin.

Yes God commanded that we should not worship any made object, or person, or thing. We are to worship only God.

Moses was commanded to make the bronze snake so that those who looked at it would be healed . Later when Israelite started to worship it, it was destroyed.

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A few things wrong with your assumptions. In the two examples you gave, God clearly says why he allowed the Israelites to drive out the inhabitants (clue: it's just the opposite of what you stated about the women and children). "Thou shalt not kill" is addressing murder. Someone taking a life into their own hands. But God is allowed to use death as a punishment given that we all already have that sentence pronounced on us due to sin. Thru Christ, God makes this right again by raising everyone good and wicked alike.

As for the serpent, the NT explains that by Christ Himself. The serpent was not to be used other than that one time and that was to LOOK at it, not worship it as an idol. However, because of the healing, it later became a snare to the Israelites and they did just that (worship it) and had to be destroyed. Likewise, we are to look to Christ one time for salvation, but not to hang crucifixes all over the place. I don't even have a picture of Jesus hanging anywhere as nobody knows what he looked like an such a picture would then become a form of idolatry. The Old Testament has types and shadow of things to come which was the case in this incident. Context is important.
My point is God can command people to do the opposite of what he previously commanded.

Where does Scripture say to test everything with scripture to find out if it's true?

Nothing in the New Testament condemns statues or crucifixes. Must not be too important.

If God heals through a bronze snake why can't he keep such methods and give grace through a crucifix?

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Where does Scripture say to test everything with scripture to find out if it's true?

Test all things; hold fast what is good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21

How to get the criteria for the test:

Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

Acts 17:10-11

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Test all things; hold fast what is good.
1 Thessalonians 5:21

How to get the criteria for the test:

Then the brethren immediately sent Paul and Silas away by night to Berea. When they arrived, they went into the synagogue of the Jews. 11 These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so.

Acts 17:10-11
Their decision in Acts 15 went against the scriptures

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
King David broke "the law" when he acquired the Holy Shew bread from the Holy Place in the tabernacle for his starving men! Against the Law..God loved him for knowing God's true heart.

Jesus healed and plucked corn on the Sabbath...against the Law...Jesus saw and knew God true heart and will.

The law was for man, not man for the law...

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Here is an example:

View attachment 1589

Hi,

It is true, God forbids making graven images for the purpose of idolatry.

He did not command Moses to make a graven image (representation of a god used as an object of worship).

IHS....Mary

liafailrock

Jul 4, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure there's seemingly times when the Law was broken, but again, the context (spirit) of the Law and the action should be considered. Perhaps the title to this thread should be "obedience to God despite what it looks like". So what I am saying is that perhaps all these examples they were not breaking the Law. It's that the Law is interpreted more severely and legalistically. I am bothered by the supposition just because God told them not to make a graven image to worship, if God then turns around and tells them to make a serpent that this is idolatry, and thus he is telling them to break the second commandment. That's an exponential extrapolation to say the least, because he did not tell them to worship it. Likewise, what David did was not commanded, so that really does not fit the borders of this argument. If that was sin, he was forgiven. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath, and explained the intent. Thus, in a few short hours from now I can keep the Sabbath, worship, praise and sing and not worry about turning on my stove which legalism does. Not kindling fires vs allowing them is likened to the circumcision argument.

So now let's hear the reconciliation of Acts 15 (in which Paul advocates faith and freedom from the Law) and Romans 3:31? Contradiction? No, me thinks not. That's where I am coming from. The OP has a valid point for Law-keeping Christians who want to be overly legalistic instead of seeing the intent of God's commands. However, the examples given are poor because we can't so much as accuse God of breaking his own commands using the OT. The premise would stand better with different examples.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Trump0101

Jan 7, 2018
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi,

It is true, God forbids making graven images for the purpose of idolatry.

He did not command Moses to make a graven image (representation of a god used as an object of worship).

IHS....Mary
How do you know the Council of Ephesus, which decided Marian devotion was okay, was not inspired by God?

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Loving Mary or talking to her is not idolatry to me, personally.
But to others it sure seems it..especially if they were not brought up loving her
as Jesus' beloved Mother.
I think for girls she became someone to want to emulate...her love, obedience, purity seemed palpable.