Pagan Tongues VS God's Real Gift of Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sharing a couple of excerpts from this link:

The Pagan Origins of Modern “Speaking in Tongues”

"His story reminded me of the fact that unintelligible babbling known as “speaking in tongues” in the modern Pentecostal movement is widely practiced in cults and even in non-Christian and pagan religions."

Scriptural proof for that is Isaiah 8:19.

Isaiah 8:19 And when they shall say unto you, Seek unto them that have familiar spirits, and unto wizards that peep, and that mutter: should not a people seek unto their God? for the living to the dead? KJV

So that means there was a supernatural tongue that was just babbling nonsense before God's gift of tongues came at Pentecost of other men's lips to speak unto the people in their native tongues.

More excerpts below from the link;

"Richard Ganz, in 20 Controversies that Almost Killed a Church (p 212) says that this kind of babbling is practiced by Mormons, The Way International, Hindus, Muslims and many others.

But this practice is not only a recent phenomenon, but was common in pagan worship long before Christ came. Robert G. Gromacki, in The Modern Tongues Movement (pp 5-10), documents the history of “speaking in tongues” in antiquity. Some of these ecstatic babbling were reported in the “Report of Wenamon” (about 1100 BC), Plato’s Dialogues (5th century BC), and Virgil’s Aeneid (1st century BC). The Graeco-Roman mystery religions before and after the Christian era most probably practiced these babbling utterances."

So this is what the apostle John was talking about in how the world speaks in their tongues for why we are to not only test the spirits but the tongues they bring too.

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. 2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

So there is a pagan supernatural tongue that is gibberish nonsense, and then there is God's gift of tongues for speaking unto the people in their native tongues which the written law says for why we should not doubt what the real God's gift of tongues are for.

1 Corinthians 14:20 Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. 21 In the law it is written, With men of other tongues and other lips will I speak unto this people; and yet for all that, will they not hear me, saith the Lord.

The problem here is that this tongue has been identified with the apostasy of believing the lie that they can receive the Holy Spirit again after a sign of tongues or evidence of tongues. As some tongue speakers do not believe that the holy laughter movement is of God, and yet they fail to see that is how they got that tongue by what they believe was the Holy Spirit falling on them apart from salvation as later in life as a saved believer. They failed to test the spirits by knowing He has been in us since salvation to know that was not the Holy Spirit falling on them again. And so they should not assume just because it comes with no interpretation, that it has to be for private use when it mimics the pagan tongues.

1 Thessalonians 5:21 Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. 22 Abstain from all appearance of evil.

Ask yourself how can God call these pagans to repent from that kind of tongue and their spirits if He copy cats Satan in switching the mode of His gifts of tongues for private use?

How can the sinners know that they are not speaking that supernatural tongue by those spirits if the Holy Spirit supposedly does the same thing? They can't, for why God's gift of tongues cannot be for private use as anything like pagan tongues as found in the world.

Believers that have a hard time believing that tongue for private use is not of Him, should ask Jesus for help to prove that for them.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Those not involved in modern day tongues but see the error in the holy laughter movement, pray for modern day tongue speakers that they may discern pagan tongues from God's gift.

1 Thessalonians 5:25 Brethren, pray for us.

Reactions: Mike Waters

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan always counterfeits the real thing so fools will scoff at the real thing and not be benefited. Besides Christian 'speaking in tongues' are languages created by God, not chirping and muttering. Just because we don't understand the language doesn't mean that God doesn't. I don't understand Chinese, but the Chinese can.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I checked ! Boy, was I ever surprised to find out that not one single person on this forum was present at Pentecost, to know WHAT "tongues" is supposed to sound like.

It's funny that some on the forum believe Paul was over 1300 years old.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan always counterfeits the real thing so fools will scoff at the real thing and not be benefited. Besides Christian 'speaking in tongues' are languages created by God, not chirping and muttering. Just because we don't understand the language doesn't mean that God doesn't. I don't understand Chinese, but the Chinese can.

God's gift of tongues is a foreign language. That is why it will come with interpretation in the assembly for that to be fruitful to edify others by.

Pagans' tongues is just gibberish nonsense. Since this was before Pentecost, then God would never copy cat Satan's tongue of gibberish nonsense.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I checked ! Boy, was I ever surprised to find out that not one single person on this forum was present at Pentecost, to know WHAT "tongues" is supposed to sound like.

Fortunately Luke had written about it in the Book of Acts for us to know that God's gift of tongues is a foreign language to speak to people as it had occurred on Pentecost when the disciples were officially saved & the church of believers began.

Acts 2:4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance. 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God's gift of tongues is a foreign language. That is why it will come with interpretation in the assembly for that to be fruitful to edify others by.

Pagans' tongues is just gibberish nonsense. Since this was before Pentecost, then God would never copy cat Satan's tongue of gibberish nonsense.

Don't you know that to me Chinese sounds like gibberish nonsense. So does Russian and African dialects. Why, because it doesn't sound like a language to me. I can't understand it. And most of them can't understand me. But God says, NO MAN can understand tongues. That is why the supernatural gift of interpretation was given to the church. Those that have that gift can even interpret the tongues of angels. Mark 16 has no mention of interpretation. Why? Because those are authorities that are given to all who believe, individually - to be used outside the congregation. 1 Cor. 12 gifts are to be used for the profit of all in the church as ministries.

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
because that every man heard them speak in his own language. 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

"every man (singular) heard them (plural)"

This is where most people get hung up; they are not reading what is written, but are interpreting what is written by what they believe. Granted, it is not as clear as it could be, but the speaking in tongues sounded like a choir (them) to each man there. So what amazed them? It was how could each man hear the choir speaking in their language, when another of a different language heard the choir in their own language. Read it again, slowly this time.

It is not mentioned, but the only way the devout Jews could understand them was through the drawing of the Spirit by giving each man the gift of interpretation of tongues - a legitimate gift of the Spirit. But the Spirit didn't give every man this gift. Those that were not DEVOUT Jews only heard gibberish.

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is correct. Had the KJV translators simply used the word "language" for glossa, the whole issue of tongues would have been moot.

Furthermore, Paul made it very clear that the gift of supernatural languages spoken miraculously would cease (along with prophecies and supernatural knowledge). Genuine prophecies ceased after the book of Revelation was completed c 96 AD. The Apostolic Fathers never claimed to be either apostles or prophets.

The modern tongues movement began in the early 20th century, when Pentecostalism also came into existence. This was followed by the Charismatic Movement. In both of them tongues and healing were promoted to the exclusion of other spiritual gifts.

But pagan babblings (ecstatic utterances) have existed for much longer, and go back to the Greeks and Romans, and possibly further back to the Babylonians.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Furthermore, Paul made it very clear that the gift of supernatural languages spoken miraculously would cease (along with prophecies and supernatural knowledge). Genuine prophecies ceased after the book of Revelation was completed c 96 AD. The Apostolic Fathers never claimed to be either apostles or prophets.

This is what Paul says about any of the gifts ceasing:

1 Corinthians 13:8-13--Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.​

Paul says "when the perfect comes," but he doesn't say when that is specifically. To say this means when the canon of scripture is completed is such a reach as to be silly, IMO. Obviously, in heaven we won't need gifts like tongues or prophecy...or possibly when we live in the new heaven and earth. THEN, we will know fully even as we are fully known. But for now, while we live in this imperfect world, "we see as in a mirror dimly," so we need all of the spiritual gifts given by God and listed in His Word.

WADR, Enoch, I have seen these gifts used scripturally in churches, and the body of Christ has benefitted.

Last edited:

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Richard Ganz, in 20 Controversies that Almost Killed a Church (p 212) says that this kind of babbling is practiced by Mormons
We already went over how that's inaccurate, so don't need to repeat that discussion.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"every man (singular) heard them (plural)"

This is where most people get hung up; they are not reading what is written, but are interpreting what is written by what they believe. Granted, it is not as clear as it could be, but the speaking in tongues sounded like a choir (them) to each man there. So what amazed them? It was how could each man hear the choir speaking in their language, when another of a different language heard the choir in their own language. Read it again, slowly this time.

It is not mentioned, but the only way the devout Jews could understand them was through the drawing of the Spirit by giving each man the gift of interpretation of tongues - a legitimate gift of the Spirit. But the Spirit didn't give every man this gift. Those that were not DEVOUT Jews only heard gibberish.

I thank you for sharing but there are a few contentions in your post. You try to explain how each & every man heard them in their own language as if say the Medes heard them all speak to them in Medes, and another all speak Parthians to them in Parthians at the same time, but that can't be so, because they listed other languages to know how they were speaking in other languages rather than just their own language. Otherwise, they would not have known they were speaking in other languages too.

Acts 2: 5 And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven. 6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.

They went on to acknowledge that they know that these Galileans spoke their own language and were mystified how they were speaking all those other languages too. So they were not just hearing one language at a time by only their respective group, but various languages as spoken by the new born again disciples.

Acts 2: 7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans? 8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born? 9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, 10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, 11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

So when you acknowledged why some did not understand what they were saying, that undermined how you applied His words to mean because then, they would have all heard it too in their native tongue. It was because some doubted in an atmosphere where they were hearing the disciples speak all those languages in their native tongue to those devout Jews from all nations was why some jested that they were drunk.

Anyway, it is an actual foreign language of men speaking to the foreign Jews in their respective native tongue of the wonderful works of God.

God's gift of tongues is not going to sound like gibberish to one person and yet an actual foreign language to another. No one should be guessing to interpret any tongue by feeling the tone or gist of what is being said by that babbling tongue. It will not sound gibberish to one Parthian and then hear it in their native tongue by another Parthian. 1 Corinthians 14:21-22 testify that even as a sign to unbelievers, not all will believe in Him.

Unless I misunderstood you in how you were applying it, that is the contention as I see it for why it cannot be.

God would call those sinners away from that kind of tongues that are gibberish nonsense and those spirits that bring it, to a personal reconciled relationship with God the Father thru the Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. That is why no invitations points to the Spirit, but still pointing to the Son even afterwards in coming to God the Father for anything in fellowship, prayer, and worship.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is correct. Had the KJV translators simply used the word "language" for glossa, the whole issue of tongues would have been moot.

Not when modern day tongue speakers claim that the gibberish is a language of angels or the Holy Spirit is speaking in a secret language so the devil cannot thwart His prayers due to errant Bible versions of Romans 8:26-27 where it implies that sounds are being heard when the Holy Spirit is supposedly making these intercessions directly Himself when in fact KJV has it as not even His groanings can be uttered for why "itself" is being used when His mind serves as a means for how His silent intercessions are known by "he" that searches our hearts ( Hebrews 4:12-16 ) is the same "he" that knows the mind of the Spirit, the Lord Jesus Christ at that throne of grace. If modern tongue speakers look at John 16:13 in that same modern Bible they are using, they would see scripture opposing Romans 8:26-27 because the Spirit cannot use tongues to utter His own intercessions since He cannot speak for Himself but speak only what HE hears.

So you would still have problems even if the KJV translators had changed that out to language.

The modern tongues movement began in the early 20th century, when Pentecostalism also came into existence. This was followed by the Charismatic Movement. In both of them tongues and healing were promoted to the exclusion of other spiritual gifts.

Some will say in the early Catholic Church because they used tongues as proof of keeping the doctrines within as they do teach Catholics to seek gifts from the Holy Spirit Himself in prayer... which was why it was not coming with interpretation then because that is not Who they are to ask; 1 Timothy 2:5 & Hebrews 4:12-16 One could say Vatican is mystery Babylon in Revelation whereas the other Babylon is USA in Revelations.

But pagan babblings (ecstatic utterances) have existed for much longer, and go back to the Greeks and Romans, and possibly further back to the Babylonians.

I suspect with Catholic "prophesy" when the Vatican gets blown up and their headquarters is at Jerusalem, a one world church will come out of it during the great tribulation where supernatural babbling tongues will unite everyone along with holy laughter; and anything phenomenal that unites them as one.

I am hoping in Him to keep me from falling and to present me faultless to His glory in getting me out of here when the Bridegroom comes.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is what Paul says about any of the gifts ceasing:

1 Corinthians 13:8-13--Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away. When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.​

Paul says "when the perfect comes," but he doesn't say when that is specifically. To say this means when the canon of scripture is completed is such a reach as to be silly, IMO. Obviously, in heaven we won't need gifts like tongues or prophecy...or possibly when we live in the new heaven and earth. THEN, we will know fully even as we are fully known. But for now, while we live in this imperfect world, "we see as in a mirror dimly," so we need all of the spiritual gifts given by God and listed in His Word.

WADR, Enoch, I have see these gifts used scripturally in churches, and the body of Christ has benefitted.

You mean like 2 or 3 speak in tongues while another interpret? 2 or 3 prophesy while another judge it? Or do you know why 2 or 3 witnesses is needed to establish a testimony for why one interprets and another judge the prophesies?

2 Corinthians 13:1This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

I caution you for the simple reason that a church believed they had God's gift of tongues and they had hired a linguist to record it and translate the tongues on it, but found that it was just gibberish nonsense and not a foreign language at all. So were the interpreters lying? Hold on before you judge that because Joyce Meyers ( not a member of that church ) testified how she interprets tongues by getting the feel or the gist of what is being said so I can see how the interpreters in that church believed they were interpreting that tongue sincerely.. hence guess work is still guess work.

When every one is speaking the same language in a church and the whole point of speaking in tongues with interpretation is edification as Paul did tell believers that were zealous for spiritual gifts to seek the gift of prophesy over all spiritual gifts because tongues is not a stand alone gifts that it needs another for interpretation even for the tongue speaker to understand and be edified and thus fruitful to himself as a tongue speaker, then the Holy Spirit would just manifest the gift of prophesy to edify every one... but since the written scripture has been provided and nothing new has ever been shared with all the churches in these latter days per these use of gifts, He will lead us to our edification in the scripture as kept in the KJV for the meat of His words to discern good and evil with the help of Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd thru the Holy Spirit in us.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Paul says "when the perfect comes," but he doesn't say when that is specifically.
Actually he did. In the context of those three gifts, there is only one reasonable explanation -- the completion of Scripture. And had the KJV translators used the word "complete" (which is totally legitimate) we would not even be having this discussion. Also, he mentioned only three gifts (out of about 20), which is further proof that it is Scripture.

New International Version
but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
International Standard Version
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will be done away with.
New Heart English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, that which is partial will be done away with.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used.
World English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.

People try to apply this to Christ or meeting with Christ, which would be absurd. If all the gifts has been mentioned that could have been a possiblity. But not is this context.

Reactions: Enow

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You mean like 2 or 3 speak in tongues while another interpret? 2 or 3 prophesy while another judge it? Or do you know why 2 or 3 witnesses is needed to establish a testimony for why one interprets and another judge the prophesies?

2 Corinthians 13:1This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.

I caution you for the simple reason that a church believed they had God's gift of tongues and they had hired a linguist to record it and translate the tongues on it, but found that it was just gibberish nonsense and not a foreign language at all. So were the interpreters lying? Hold on before you judge that because Joyce Meyers ( not a member of that church ) testified how she interprets tongues by getting the feel or the gist of what is being said so I can see how the interpreters in that church believed they were interpreting that tongue sincerely.. hence guess work is still guess work.

When every one is speaking the same language in a church and the whole point of speaking in tongues with interpretation is edification as Paul did tell believers that were zealous for spiritual gifts to seek the gift of prophesy over all spiritual gifts because tongues is not a stand alone gifts that it needs another for interpretation even for the tongue speaker to understand and be edified and thus fruitful to himself as a tongue speaker, then the Holy Spirit would just manifest the gift of prophesy to edify every one... but since the written scripture has been provided and nothing new has ever been shared with all the churches in these latter days per these use of gifts, He will lead us to our edification in the scripture as kept in the KJV for the meat of His words to discern good and evil with the help of Jesus Christ as our Good Shepherd thru the Holy Spirit in us.
You don’t need to explain these gifts to me, and you shouldn’t judge all uses of the gifts based on misuses. There will be counterfeits until the gifts are no longer needed.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't you know that to me Chinese sounds like gibberish nonsense. So does Russian and African dialects. Why, because it doesn't sound like a language to me. I can't understand it. And most of them can't understand me. But God says, NO MAN can understand tongues.

The believer that the Holy Spirit is manifesting tongues thru will not understand it, but the foreigner will. That is what had happened at Pentecost.

That is why the supernatural gift of interpretation was given to the church. Those that have that gift can even interpret the tongues of angels.

No. That was a hyperbole used by Paul. Did he give his body up to be burned? No. Paul was using exaggerations to show how doing all those things and have not love, profits nothing.

Mark 16 has no mention of interpretation. Why? Because those are authorities that are given to all who believe, individually - to be used outside the congregation. 1 Cor. 12 gifts are to be used for the profit of all in the church as ministries.

In ministry outreach, new tongues is referring to foreign language to speak unto foreigners in their native tongue to serve as a sign towards unbelievers.

Mark 16:15 And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. 17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

When believers seek to use those things listed as a sign like drinking poison or letting a venomous snake bite them, to prove themselves as believers, they die. You cannot use tongues as a sign or proof for anything.

And yet that what is being promoted in these latter days in giving another calling to saved believers in seeking to receive the Holy Spirit "again" apart from salvation by a sign of tongues. That is why God permits the strong delusion to occur because they believed the lie they can receive Him again.

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually he did. In the context of those three gifts, there is only one reasonable explanation -- the completion of Scripture. And had the KJV translators used the word "complete" (which is totally legitimate) we would not even be having this discussion. Also, he mentioned only three gifts (out of about 20), which is further proof that it is Scripture.

New International Version
but when completeness comes, what is in part disappears.
International Standard Version
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will be done away with.
New Heart English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, that which is partial will be done away with.
GOD'S WORD® Translation
But when what is complete comes, then what is incomplete will no longer be used.
World English Bible
but when that which is complete has come, then that which is partial will be done away with.

People try to apply this to Christ or meeting with Christ, which would be absurd. If all the gifts has been mentioned that could have been a possiblity. But not is this context.

What you're saying is not making sense. If Paul was saying "what IS complete," the canon was not complete in his lifetime. If Paul had meant completion of the scriptures, he would have said as much.

Can you honestly say that you know God fully through the scriptures as He fully knows you? I believe that He shows us what we need to know about Himself and generally about the Christian life through His written Word, but it's not all that we need to know specifically. That's one of the reasons the spiritual gifts are given, so that we can have the guidance of the Holy Spirit in our daily lives pertaining to specific situations. I know I need this, so I treasure the gifts.

Reactions: Paul Christensen

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We already went over how that's inaccurate, so don't need to repeat that discussion.

It seems we do. The author had written the book having done research in modern times after Joseph Smith had died. Even though Joseph Smith acknowledged that there were Mormons doing fake tongues, and gave instructions not to do that, somehow today, that researcher came across some Mormons doing otherwise. So you may not be among them, but I find it odd that the Mormon churches that do are not making it a point to go after other Mormon churches that don't do tongues the right way.

Then you have to wonder if any of them actually has God's gift of tongues today if they claim they got it by receiving what they believed was the Holy Spirit falling over them apart from salvation in bringing that tongue.

A church thought they had God's gift of tongues until they had hired a linguist to record and translate it only to find it was all gibberish nonsense. the clue as to what may have happened in that church that had actually believed they were interpreting tongues goes to another source where Joyce Meyers testified that she interprets tongues by getting the feel or gist of what was being said. That explains how those believers actually believed they were interpreting tongues as they were winging it as Joyce Meyers was.

And Joyce Meyers got tongues later on in life as a saved believer and she took it as a sign that God was calling her into the ministry.

Whereas my former neighbor across the street took it as a sign that was when she was saved.

So, no. Mormon Churches are not exempt from the responsibility of making sure Mormons are using tongues the right way and even to discern how they got that tongue the wrong way for why they see some using "fake tongues" or as Joseph Smith pointed out "the devil's tongue".

That author shows that something is off within the Morrnon churches in these latter days so although a general reference to Mormons does not mean they are all doing it just as a general reference to Hindu does not mean they are all doing it, but it is happening and all Mormons need to be on their toes when Visiting Mormons come to their church that are not doing tongues right... let alone how they got that tongue for why it is not God's gift of tongues. We are to test the spirits and the tongues they bring per the apostle John's warning in 1 John 4:1-6

1 John 4:1Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: 3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world. 4 Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world. 5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them. 6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

This can happen to any believer at any time for why the warning is for Mormons & Catholics & Christians. Even you and me.