Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
A couple are (crosses). One is a catamount (an Army mascot).
I see that you said you don't regret them, anyway (though you might not do them again).

Seems anyhow like it's become well established among many Christians for faith ink to be acquired apparently without regret, often as a witness tool that is proven effective; the OP quote might seem to indicate how widespread it has become, anyway:

QueenCat said:
Around here (Bible Belt), it is common, especially among evangelical Christians, for the girls under about 40 to have religious tattoos. More do than don't, especially when you get to the under 30 crowd. I hardly know any female at church that is under 30 that does not have a tattoo.
forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com

John Caldwell

Apr 12, 2019
North Augusta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see that you said you don't regret them, anyway (though you might not do them again).

Seems anyhow like it's become well established among many Christians for faith ink to be acquired apparently without regret, often as a witness tool that is proven effective; the OP quote might seem to indicate how widespread it has become, anyway:

forums dot thewelltrainedmind dot com
I was just young. They remind me of that.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Heart2Soul Kind of like a personal symphony, don't you think? :)

(Ppl have been discussing music on the other thread just recently.)
I haven't seen the other thread. I had to give the forum a break. Was getting too involved and spending too much time here instead of with God.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I haven't seen the other thread. I had to give the forum a break. Was getting too involved and spending too much time here instead of with God.
Great to concentrate on personal prayer and Scripture meditation indeed. :)

I was just referring to an analogy that came to mind between the idea and motivation and inspiration behind personal ink, and the nature of a musical symphony, that's all...(if you follow?)

Reactions: Heart2Soul

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The underlying issue is that we are no longer under the law but under grace.

On the other hand, we will be called least in the kingdom if we break the least of God's commandments in the OT and also teach men to do likewise....

But unless you are going to walk around wearing tzitzit and tallit and tefilin, there is no avoiding being called least in the kingdom, from my interpretation of that.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The underlying issue is that we are no longer under the law but under grace.

On the other hand, we will be called least in the kingdom if we break the least of God's commandments in the OT and also teach men to do likewise....

But unless you are going to walk around wearing tzitzit and tallit and tefilin, there is no avoiding being called least in the kingdom, from my interpretation of that.
Thank-you for your comment!

As per Leviticus 19, would owners and workers at barber shops be least in the kingdom because they shave people's beards?

As a dispensationalist I would say that it's the Gospel rather than the law that is the rule of the New Testament believer's life.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But would you not say that sin is defined by the law (Romans 3:20, 1 John 3:4 (kjv))?

It seems to me that we are exhorted not to sin in scripture (ex. 1 Corinthians 15:34).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
But would you not say that sin is defined by the law (Romans 3:20, 1 John 3:4)?

It seems to me that we are exhorted not to sin in scripture (ex. 1 Corinthians 15:34).
It needs to be with a balance of Old and New Testament precepts; there are many things in the Old that are not carried forward into the New.

I don't think I have ever said people ought to get a tattoo; it's just clear that many faith based designs are widely used by Christians as proven conversation-starters in witness.

PS: There is a sense that Christian barbers are going to shave ppl's beards; Christian tattoo artists are going to give tattoos, etc.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said that until heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law.

:eek:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Jesus said that until heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law.

:eek:
Indeed so.

The Epistle to the Hebrews also says that the law was changed and what we have now is better than the law. (Hebrews 7.12; Hebrews 7.19)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As a schoolmaster that leads men to Christ, as a definer of sin, and as a standard that all must live up to, the law has not changed (Matthew 5:17-20).

The only sense in which it has changed, is in that, for the believer, we now obey the spirit of what was written rather than being bound to the letter.

Also, now that we are in Christ, our relationship to the law has changed. We are no longer under it (Romans 6:14). We are dead to it (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19). And we have been delivered from it (Romans 7:6). See also Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14, Hebrews 7:18.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @justbyfaith : An interesting point was made by @Butterfly a while ago, in relation to these issues:
Butterfly said:

There is also the law that Farouk mentioned about beard cutting. I believe it is about understanding the culture then...
To me it's cultural - obviously I do sit on the other side because I have a tattoo , but I did look through scripture and reflect on it before I got one

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
As a schoolmaster that leads men to Christ, as a definer of sin, and as a standard that all must live up to, the law has not changed (Matthew 5:17-20).

The only sense in which it has changed, is in that, for the believer, we now obey the spirit of what was written rather than being bound to the letter.

Also, now that we are in Christ, our relationship to the law has changed. We are no longer under it (Romans 6:14). We are dead to it (Romans 7:4, Galatians 2:19). And we have been delivered from it (Romans 7:6). See also Ephesians 2:15-16, Colossians 2:14, Hebrews 7:18.
Good verses there that you quoted. I think it's also significant that the priesthood was changed and this must mean that the law was changed also. Also it is by a better covenant that we approach God now; we are now in an era where what we have is truly better than the law. Hebrews 7 seems very clear about this.

(As regards things like faith based tattoo designs (e.g, Christian fish signs <>< or Bible verses/quotes on wrist areas, etc.), many Christians use them in witness now.)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that those who have not come to faith yet are still under the OT law (Galatians 3:23); which has not changed for those who are putting their trust in their works to save them (Matthew 5:17-20; Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

The only sense in which the law has changed for that the priesthood has changed, is in that we are no longer married to the letter, we are now married to Christ; and walk in newness of spirit rather than in the oldness of the letter.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I would say that those who have not come to faith yet are still under the OT law (Galatians 3:23); which has not changed for those who are putting their trust in their works to save them (Matthew 5:17-20; Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48).

The only sense in which the law has changed for that the priesthood has changed, is in that we are no longer married to the letter, we are now married to Christ; and walk in newness of spirit rather than in the oldness of the letter.
I guess also I would say as a dispensationalist is that as per 1 Corinthians 10.32 I am not seeing the law as for the church. The law was strongly linked with Israel; whereas the promise to Abraham came before the giving of the law to Israel; and it's that promise which is still applicable now in the justification of sinners.

So maybe it's also a dispensational versus Reformed thing here.