Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Poll: Best age for first tattoo?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My wife had a few, and I had no problems with the ones that she had..
@michaelvpardo Do you think that in a general sense at least, these days it would be widely regarded as all part of the flourishing of a wife's personality?

Including with Christian wives.

(Leaving aside for a moment the difficulties you mentioned also.)[/QUOTE]

I avoid the reference myself, but some call a tattoo on women a "tramp stamp." I believe Christians are to attempt to live a life that is above reproach, but I also believe that we have no right to judge people for their choices "before the time" (of judgment). A decade ago I was far more concerned about my testimony than I am now. However, I believe that God is able to preserve a good testimony for what it is and preserve His name by bringing a "bad testimony" to an early conclusion. Societal standards of behavior have been rapidly deteriorating during my lifetime and while I wouldn't want to hasten such moral collapse, I certainly am in no position to stop it. Let our testimony be true and our behavior acceptable in Christ. Our primary concern should be to live with a clear conscience before God. If you can do that in day to day life, I believe that you're doing well, and if not, there remains confession and abounding grace from a loving Father.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@michaelvpardo Thanks; actually I've heard the term you mention only in reference to the lower back; rather than to the fact that women are tattooed at all (as 59%-70% of parlor clients at parlors in North America bear out, statistically.)

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@michaelvpardo Thanks; actually I've heard the term you mention only in reference to the lower back; rather than to the fact that women are tattooed at all (as 59%-70% of parlor clients at parlors in North America bear out, statistically.)
Its not really parlor statistics that matter, but public perception and discourse. I've heard the term used by people noticing any tattoo (and a business relying on creating tattoo art will always downplay the negative aspects of their work.)
Again, what people do in life, for good or for evil, remains a part of their testimony if they profess to be witnesses of God's grace, and while we are called to discern between good and evil and to choose the good, we are not called to judge our brothers (and sisters). That remains Christ's job.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wanted st. Benedict’s Cross because I am a Benedictine oblate and I’ve had some frighting experiences, which are hard to explain. The tattoo reminds me to focus on God

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The tattoo reminds me to focus on God
Some ppl say faith based tattoos are in order to speak to others; I guess for some ppl they are supposed to be a personal reminder.

(This is a general point, only; matters of doctrine are highly important; and people with faith related tattoos and without them may be in agreement/disagreement on points of doctrine.)

Reactions: aspen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I see a lot of women with sleeves now, saw a couple yesterday, how will they feel when they're about 50?
PS: My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse, and mine also. So many women do it now; and faith based ones certainly are effective in starting conversations, anyway. (Whether or not other Christians choose to get them themselves.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I thought God was dealing with her. I treaded lightly as I knew I could do more harm than good if I tried too hard. Every once in a while I’d say something. But I didn’t push things on her.
God bless you guys. Seems like you were quite encouraged to think that the Lord was working in her heart when you saw her desire to get ink in a faith based design.

Reactions: SovereignGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
So would you call it a tribal armband, or something like that?
Hmmmm.
I don't know enough about "tribal" armbands.
I'd say no, though.

My granddaughter just got her ears pierced.
Now she wants another one right near it.
We're all hoping that's the end of it.
She's 17 and every girl here has her ears pierced...as did she, as a baby.
But she didn't wear earrings for years and they closed.

You think some ink might be next?
I don't think so!
She's like me...afraid she'll regret it.

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hmmmm.
I don't know enough about "tribal" armbands.
I'd say no, though.

My granddaughter just got her ears pierced.
Now she wants another one right near it.
We're all hoping that's the end of it.
She's 17 and every girl here has her ears pierced...as did she, as a baby.
But she didn't wear earrings for years and they closed.

You think some ink might be next?
I don't think so!
She's like me...afraid she'll regret it.
You're right that single ear piercings are usually followed by double ear piercings among teen girls (and their moms!).

As regards ink, I don't know what the minimum age is in Italy; but it sounds like she's not at that stage yet (and may never want any).

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
You're right that single ear piercings are usually followed by double ear piercings among teen girls (and their moms!).

As regards ink, I don't know what the minimum age is in Italy; but it sounds like she's not at that stage yet (and may never want any).
Any age if the parent agrees.
And you're right...I doubt she'll ever want them.
She's very reserved and rather shy....like her grandma.
But you wouldn't believe it, would you?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Any age if the parent agrees.
And you're right...I doubt she'll ever want them.
She's very reserved and rather shy....like her grandma.
But you wouldn't believe it, would you?
Also, sometimes a young woman is less likely to want ink if none of the other women in her family have any.

(Of course, multiple ear piercings are often acquired, in the full knowledge that - unlike ink - the studs can soon be removed.)

Reactions: GodsGrace

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Also, sometimes a young woman is less likely to want ink if none of the other women in her family have any.

(Of course, multiple ear piercings are often acquired, in the full knowledge that - unlike ink - the studs can soon be removed.)
Good point.
Yeah. We're all scardy cats.

Reactions: farouk