Vegetarianism?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stitch

Mar 9, 2024
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Are there arguments in favour of Christian vegetarianism or pescatarianism?

Some monastics followed diets that forbad eating four-legged beasts.

What do you think?

O'Darby

Feb 17, 2024
Arizona
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there arguments in favour of Christian vegetarianism or pescatarianism?

Some monastics followed diets that forbad eating four-legged beasts.

What do you think?
I think it's strictly a matter of conscience. The only rigid vegetarians I know - and they are fanatics - are my golf buddy and his wife, who are also militant, in-your-face atheists. I'm not merely an animal-lover but almost a nutcase, to the point I'd probably make a good Jain. When everyone else wants to kill a spider, I will go to great lengths to capture him in a styrofoam cup and turn him loose. The notion of killing any animal for "sport" is so alien to me that the thought almost makes me ill. These "respect for life" sensibilities have only increased with the passing years. Nevertheless, we do eat meat without a whole lot of qualms, and it seems entirely biblical to me. I will feel a bit uneasy if I stop and think "This was once a living creature," but I don't allow myself to obsess over it. If someone thinks vegetarianism is a spiritual practice that draws them nearer to God, I see no objection (and can I have that beef chimichanga, if you're not going to eat it?).

Reactions: Aunty Jane

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We were originally designed to be vegetarians.....all creatures were if you read Genesis 1:29-30, but after the flood of Noah's day, humans were given permission to eat the flesh of other creatures. Perhaps this is also when animals began to prey on other animals for food. God does not tell us why things were altered in this way, but there must have been an atmospheric change with the flood. The water canopy that was above the earth was used in the deluge which would probably have drastically altered earth's climate. This may have increased the need for protein in certain creatures because some remained vegetarians, and others became flesh eaters.

Gen 1:6-7....."Then God said, “Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters.”
God made the expanse, and separated the waters that were below the expanse from the waters that were above the expanse; and it was so."

So a there was a dividing of the waters above the expanse (earth's atmosphere) from the waters below the expanse. Was this the reason why we became omnivores? All we can do is wonder..... :IDK:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Seeing as I am not a monastic and that Jesus definitely wasn't a vegetarian neither am I. Jesus made them and he ate them too.