“I Delight in the Law of God”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the "law of God" (Rom 7:22) to which Paul refereed was the will of God or the fulfilling of the OT law which, "was our schoolmaster" (for the Jew) to bring them "unto Christ"; also which they "are no longer under" (Gal 3:24, 25). The "law" which the old testament saints "delighted in" (i.e. Psa 119:47) was that part which pointed to God's ultimate will and is summed up in, "he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law" (Rom 13:8).

The grace Christ brought allows us to have unconditional forgiveness (through the Spirit) in loving others "as I have loved you" (John 15:12). This is what requires regeneration because it is, "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another" (John 13:34). This was similar but unlike the old commandment which involved conditional love, which was to love others the way you loved yourself or as yourself (Lev 19:18).

Another reason I believe Paul was referring to "the will of God" when he referenced "the law of God" is because at this time of writing, the OT law was "taken away" to "establish the second" (Heb 10:8); which is the NT or "the everlasting covenant" that is "through" His "blood" (Heb 13:20) or "in" His "blood" (Matt 26:28; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20).

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
JB_Reformed Baptist said:
Nope. Same law in both testaments.
The OT law of Moses involved judgement and all were still under the curse of "the law of sin and death" (the souls that sins shall die), which Adam incurred. This was why the repetitious sin offering, until Christ nullified it in His atonement.

It went from a conditional love to others, to an unconditional love to others (as I have loved you).

mjrhealth said:
I just love Jesus, everything else I leave to Him.

In all His Love
Good answer!

JB_Reformed Baptist

Many are called but few are chosen.
Feb 23, 2013
AUSTRALIA
NetChaplain said:
The OT law of Moses involved judgement and all were still under the curse of "the law of sin and death" (the souls that sins shall die), which Adam incurred. This was why the repetitious sin offering, until Christ nullified it in His atonement.

It went from a conditional love to others, to an unconditional love to others (as I have loved you).

Good answer!
The LAW that was given at Mt Sinai is the same law written in our hearts and given life by virtue of the Holy spirit.

Where it once resulted in poor deeds/death due to the failing of the flesh-inability internally and hence externally to be kept perfectly- but now results in good works, due to the holy spirit, thanks be to the LORD JESUS CHRIST.

I don't think I need to quote the scriptures? :)

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
The law is but a shadow of Christ. When we obey the law of Christ (abide in the Spirit) we are no longer under the shadow its objective is fulfilled in us.

In regards to regulating the conduct of a man the mechanical observance of a set of rules (the law) is but a shadow of a love flowing from a pure heart. Hence the shadow points to the source which is Christ. The righteous man is not in need of any external law for the righteousness of the external law is established within by a faith that works by love, hence it is the righteous who walk by faith.

There is no such thing as "unconditional forgiveness" for there is only no condemnation for those who are IN Christ and being IN Christ is a ACTUAL STATE not a FORENSIC POSITION.

What Satan has been able to do is twist the simplicity of the doctrine of Christ, which is the doctrine according to godliness, into an abstract provision whereby it is erroneously taught that a tree IS NOT known by its fruits. Thus "manifest wickedness" is not connected to an "inward defilement" and presto you have the modern "Saved IN Sins" message.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
There is no such thing as "unconditional forgiveness" for there is only no condemnation for those who are IN Christ and being IN Christ is a ACTUAL STATE not a FORENSIC POSITION.
There is no such thing as "conditional forgiveness" in Christ. Those who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ via a forensic directive. The unconditional forgiveness abides continually. If we abide it is there; if we sin the spirit will work to turn us to our advocate with the father to restore us to the fellowship of that abiding unconditional forgiveness.

Simple. Your philosophy makes no sense.

ScottAU

Feb 27, 2013
ChristRoseFromTheDead said:
There is no such thing as "conditional forgiveness" in Christ. Those who have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ via a forensic directive. The unconditional forgiveness abides continually. If we abide it is there; if we sin the spirit will work to turn us to our advocate with the father to restore us to the fellowship of that abiding unconditional forgiveness.

Simple. Your philosophy makes no sense.
It's not that my philosophy does nto make sense, the issue is that you don't believe what the Bible teaches.

Being IN Christ is not a "forensic directive." If it was a "forensic directive" then the warnings of Scripture would be emtpy of meaning.

God won't be mocked and the Scripture means what it says and it does not matter how much rhetoric people use to deny the plain truth.

YOU WILL reap what you sow.

Gal 6:7 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
Gal 6:8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting.
Gal 6:9 And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not.

You teach that you can sow to the flesh and still reap eternal life because you are have "forensically" put on Christ. This "loss of fellowship" while "remaining justified" is a message of death to those whom buy into it.

Why on earth would Paul give this warning????

Eph 5:3 But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;
Eph 5:4 Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.
Eph 5:5 For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.
Eph 5:6 Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.
Eph 5:7 Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

Or this one by Peter???

2Pe 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
2Pe 3:10 But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
2Pe 3:11 Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
2Pe 3:12 Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
2Pe 3:13 Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.
2Pe 3:14 Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

What would be the point of Peter making that statement?

Then why would he go on and give this warning about those who twist Paul's writings?

2Pe 3:15 And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17 Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2Pe 3:18 But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

You have bought into the "error of the wicked" and your words attempt to allure others into following you.

Why would Peter warn believers to "beware lest they be led astray and fall" ?????

Why would the writer of thr Hebrews say this????

Heb 3:8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
Heb 3:9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
Heb 3:10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
Heb 3:11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
Heb 3:12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
Heb 3:14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;

It is not a done deal. IF is a conditional statement.

Why would Paul give this warning???

Rom 11:20 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear:
Rom 11:21 For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee.
Rom 11:22 Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.

What do you do with that?

Come on, wake up! You are deceiving yourself.

If God cut off the natural branches due to rebellion do you honestly think He won't do that to a professing Christian???

Selected proof texting of scriptures will not work at the judgment. You might be able to soothe your mind and conscience here in this life but you won't fool God.

God will not be mocked.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
ScottAU said:
Scott said blah, blah, blah...
Your philosophy makes no sense and has no practical value. It is only dire warnings and fear mongering with so many contradictions it is mind-boggling.

So typical of cults.

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2013
The laws and commandments of Torah, including The Ten Commandments, were never intended as a means of attaining righteousness. Instead, they were intended as the means whereby a people who were little more than a mob when Moses found them could form a cohesive society. Even the promise which we find in Torah as the reward for keeping the laws and commandments was a purely societal reward, rather than its being a reward benefiting any individual:

If you pay attention to these laws and are careful to follow them, then the Lord your God will keep his covenant of love with you, as he swore to your forefathers. He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land - your grain, new wine and oil - the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you. You will be blessed more than any other people; none of your men or women will be childless, nor any of your livestock without young. The Lord will keep you free from every disease. He will not inflict on you the horrible diseases you knew in Egypt, but he will inflict them on all who hate you. (Deuteronomy 7:12-15,NIV)

There's the contract. In exchange for the people's obeying his laws and commandments in this life, God would increase their prosperity in this life. But there it ended. To them death was to be seen as a wall where all life stopped, rather than its being a doorway to another life beyond this one:

"By the sweat of yuor brow you will eat your food until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you will return." (Genesis 3:19,NIV)

So how did laws and commandments which were originally intended to be purely societal become salvific at the time of Christ? Insofar as the Sadducees were concerned, they didn't. the role of man was to live, to die, and then return to the dust from whence he came. But some Jewish sects, such as the Pharisees, who believed in a resurrection, added other laws to them via subsets attached to each commandment. They believed that even though by themselves they were purely societal, through the extra laws added to them they could be converted to being salvific. The Sabbath commandment alone had over 1,000 laws in a subset attached to it, and in order to obey that one commandment in a way that would ensure righteousness all 1,000+ laws in that subset had to be obeyed. The other commandments had similar subsets, containing a similar number of laws, so in order to obey the laws and commandments of Torah in a way that would ensure righteousness the people had to obey literally thousands of laws.

This is why St. Paul told them that the law was a schoolmaster, but it could never be a means of salvation:

Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be declared righteous in his sight by observing the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of sin.

But now a righteousness from God, apart from law, has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness from God comes through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement, through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished - he did it to demonstrate his justice at the present time, so as to be just and the one who justifies those who have faith in Jesus. (Romans 3:19-26,NIV)