More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I still don't see the point. They're decorating their body. Legalistic Jews strap scripture to their heads and their arms as well. Most Christians look upon that with a different view. See the double standard? More importantly, note that in both cases, it is advertising the fact.

At the other end of the spectrum we have someone like Paul who has stripes as a witness for his faith. See the difference?

I can't imagine Paul having any tattoos. Just think what a tattoo of some scripture or Christ crucified on his back would look like after being given 40 lashes. What a waste of money, time, artistic talent, etc.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I'm honestly not up on it enough to say either way, so I just hold my peace on that. I believe there are a number of people who have tattoos who are dear saints of God - former bikers turned Christians and such - and I certainly don't want them feeling condemned over something they can't rid themselves of.
@Hidden In Him Thanks for your comment. Some ppl are actually motivated to get ink because they know they are likely to be effective in starting witness conversations. My wife and I talked to a young lady with the whole of John 3.16 tattooed on her wrist area; it was her favorite Bible verse and mine also; and I'm sure other conversations have arisen as a result of her willingness to use the tattoo parlor.

(It must have hurt. But for her also it must have seemed worth it, right?)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him Do you think it's actually become rather mainstream now?

(A bit like double pierced ears did, 40 years ago? a bit edgy at first but now everyone's grandmother and great-grandmother has it done...)

Yeah. The novelty has worn off in my book. And I've seen girls - beautiful girls tattoo themselves lavishly. Kinda takes a beautiful piece of artwork that God has made and writes graffiti all over it. On some - especially guys with a tough life or a very warlike demeanor - it can pass for being a complimentary thing to do to one's appearance. For many... it makes matter worse, not better, and doesn't seem to serve much purpose where identity is concerned, other than to fall in line with a fad (unfortunately).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah. The novelty has worn off in my book. And I've seen girls - beautiful girls tattoo themselves lavishly. Kinda takes a beautiful piece of artwork that God has made and writes graffiti all over it. On some - especially guys with a tough life or a very warlike demeanor - it can pass for being a complimentary thing to do to one's appearance. For many... it makes matter worse, not better, and doesn't seem to serve much purpose where identity is concerned, other than to fall in line with a fad (unfortunately).
@Hidden In Him Well, a lot of ppl would indeed agree that it sure has become mainstream; and that it's certainly become a rather natural development to do at around 18; first ink as a young adult rite of passage, I suppose. That being said, a lot of Christians seem to think that it's not merely a 'Oh this feels good' thing that is done; it seems to be a chosen means to express a faith witness message, which actually is proven to work very effectively. (Even for Christian tattooees and potential Christian tattooees who might otherwise be so-so / 50/50 about the actual procedure, yet because as you say it's so often done so lavishly, then nowadays Christian young ppl know perfectly well that it won't look remotely unusual if they have something done - small or otherwise. And since this seems thoroughly to be the case, then it's a wide open and effective witness opportunity. (Thus seems to be the thinking, anyway, if you follow?)

Hence also the poll question...

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
My oldest daughter has multiple tattoos. My wife has a butterfly on the top of her foot ...
@MetalMike Yes, well, although many years ago getting tattooed was almost always a man thing, yet once it became really mainstream for women to have it done, it seems very widespread indeed for female relatives to get inked confidently. Many Christian women seem to get faith and family themed designs inked in. Seems that many tattoo parlors would go out of business if having it done had not so very widely become so mainstream and womanly.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Curious @ farouk , what is your opinion on other body mods?
@marks Well, earrings for men now are pretty mainstream (as are tattoos for women); in fact at the very conservative small local church that my wife and I attend a majority of the young men and boys that come also, would probably wear earrings most of the time: it's so mainstream and widespread.

soul man

Jan 6, 2018
Fletcher
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@soul man Hoping the wedding goes well. And there are plenty of parlors in Vegas; so did any of your family ever use one there yet?

Wedding went really well, thanks. There was no time for tats :-( We traveled on to California to visit family.

Reactions: farouk