More Christian tattoo artists a positive development?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Is is a positive development for more Christians to train and work as tattoo artists?

• Yes; positive for more Christians - preferably men - to train and work and tattoo artists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
One of my favorite Bible verse:

Isaiah 55:10-11
"For just as rain and snow fall from heaven
and do not return there
without saturating the earth
and making it germinate and sprout,
and providing seed to sow
and food to eat,
so My word that comes from My mouth
will not return to Me empty,
but it will accomplish what I please
and will prosper in what I send it to do.”
@Prayer Warrior Yes! :) Many a young Christian man or woman will have endured what to them may be both the pain and joy of an inking in order to receive the wording of a Bible verse, in the knowledge that God does in one way or another indeed bless His Word.

One of my favorite Bible verses also!

Tattooed Bible verses can be very effective, can't they? (All part of the context of the growth of tattoo services.)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
This is how people advertise who they are so they do as well.
@shnarkle So what do you think of people "advertising" - so to speak - that they are Christians, by means of being inked with a faith based tattoo?

(Maybe none of the church ladies you mentioned was actually inked in a faith based design; I don't know.)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him So you would see this somewhat negatively? as far as a tattoo is concerned.

Meh... just taking a counter culture a bit too far, LoL. I'm honestly not that wild about the practice from a spiritual perspective, Farouk, as I sometimes wonder about the reports from deliverance ministers that tattoos can open a door for spirits to potentially enter. But I'm honestly not up on it enough to say either way, so I just hold my peace on that. I believe there are a number of people who have tattoos who are dear saints of God - former bikers turned Christians and such - and I certainly don't want them feeling condemned over something they can't rid themselves of. It's just a mark on the flesh for heaven's sake, and the Spirit of God is certainly powerful enough to counter something like that.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Meh... just taking a counter culture a bit too far, LoL. I'm honestly not that wild about the practice from a spiritual perspective, Farouk, as I sometimes wonder about the reports from deliverance ministers that tattoos can open a door for spirits to potentially enter. But I'm honestly not up on it enough to say either way, so I just hold my peace on that. I believe there are a number of people who have tattoos who are dear saints of God - former bikers turned Christians and such - and I certainly don't want them feeling condemned over something they can't rid themselves of. It's just a mark on the flesh for heaven's sake, and the Spirit of God is certainly powerful enough to counter something like that.
Thanks, @Hidden In Him ; I was really focusing I guess on the pain aspect; whether feeling pain is necessarily a bad thing during a tattoo (as some tattoo artists seem to think definitely that it's not a bad thing...? o_O)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Mayflower FYI, the discussion, above, has just turned to tattoo pain; I wonder if you have any thoughts or wisdom, as an experienced person?

(i.e., coping with tattoo pain, whether it's necessarily a bad thing, etc.)

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@shnarkle So what do you think of people "advertising" - so to speak - that they are Christians, by means of being inked with a faith based tattoo?

(Maybe none of the church ladies you mentioned was actually inked in a faith based design; I don't know.)

it's a feeble counterfeit to producing fruit which is the only evidence of one's faith. Those who produce fruit, will feel no need to advertise the fact that they're producing fruit, nor will they seek some other way to advertise the fact that their identity is in Christ because Christ would never do anything like that. Christ taught self denial, and self denial is incompatible with drawing attention to oneself, or self adornment.

Again, I would point out that the temple was adorned on the inside, not the outside. This is the pattern of our temple as well. The fruit produced is for God's glory, and praise, not humanity to notice us.

Years ago, I was in line to see a movie at the theatre. We were too young to see anything above a G rating, but it was a big theatre complex and they were showing a number of PG and R rated movies. The man in front of us was taking his daughter to see an R rated movie. She was younger than me, perhaps maybe no more than two or three years old. It was a horror movie.

As the man opened up his wallet to pay for his tickets, the cashier commented on a picture of Christ he had that flopped out with all the other pictures he had in those plastic picture/credit card holders wallets sometimes have. She asked him if he was religious, and he said that he was. I was only about 8 or 9 and was shocked that he was taking his daughter to see an R rated movie, but to then announce that he was religious seemed completely idiotic and contradictory to me.

Ultimately, tattoos are about drawing attention to oneself. They are antithetical to the gospel message.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
it's a feeble counterfeit to producing fruit which is the only evidence of one's faith. Those who produce fruit, will feel no need to advertise the fact that they're producing fruit, nor will they seek some other way to advertise the fact that their identity is in Christ because Christ would never do anything like that. Christ taught self denial, and self denial is incompatible with drawing attention to oneself, or self adornment.

Again, I would point out that the temple was adorned on the inside, not the outside. This is the pattern of our temple as well. The fruit produced is for God's glory, and praise, not humanity to notice us.

Years ago, I was in line to see a movie at the theatre. We were too young to see anything above a G rating, but it was a big theatre complex and they were showing a number of PG and R rated movies. The man in front of us was taking his daughter to see an R rated movie. She was younger than me, perhaps maybe no more than two or three years old. It was a horror movie.

As the man opened up his wallet to pay for his tickets, the cashier commented on a picture of Christ he had that flopped out with all the other pictures he had in those plastic picture/credit card holders wallets sometimes have. She asked him if he was religious, and he said that he was. I was only about 8 or 9 and was shocked that he was taking his daughter to see an R rated movie, but to then announce that he was religious seemed completely idiotic and contradictory to me.

Ultimately, tattoos are about drawing attention to oneself. They are antithetical to the gospel message.
@shnarkle Thanks for your comments. Do you see that motive can have something to do with the value of a faith based tattoo? e.g., a Bible verse design.

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@shnarkle Thanks for your comments. Do you see that motive can have something to do with the value of a faith based tattoo? e.g., a Bible verse design.

I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting that they do this for no reason at all?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I don't know what you mean. Are you suggesting that they do this for no reason at all?
@shnarkle What I meant was, You were strongly critical of faith based tattoos; I wondered about the possibility that some Christians actually do it because they are motivated to bear testimony, as with a Bible verse, for example?

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
@shnarkle What I meant was, You were strongly critical of faith based tattoos; I wondered about the possibility that some Christians actually do it because they are motivated to bear testimony, as with a Bible verse, for example?

I still don't see the point. They're decorating their body. Legalistic Jews strap scripture to their heads and their arms as well. Most Christians look upon that with a different view. See the double standard? More importantly, note that in both cases, it is advertising the fact.

At the other end of the spectrum we have someone like Paul who has stripes as a witness for his faith. See the difference?