Poll: "ear piercings are fully accepted for both genders"

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Ear piercings are fully accepted for both genders"; true?

• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have my view but would rather not say

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ear rings, nose rings, nipple piercing, whole body tattoos, cosmetics, fashionable clothing, all manner of jewelry, rock music, tobacco, cannabis, wine and beer, of course a young man or young woman can entertain all these things and remain a Godly person. Yeah, it's only the religious who believe Christians should be different from those of the world. Let's all be the same!!! Yay! Preach it Farouk!!!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Ear rings, nose rings, nipple piercing, whole body tattoos, cosmetics, fashionable clothing, all manner of jewelry, rock music, tobacco, cannabis, wine and beer, of course a young man or young woman can entertain all these things and remain a Godly person. Yeah, it's only the religious who believe Christians should be different from those of the world. Let's all be the same!!! Yay! Preach it Farouk!!!
I guess this thread is about earrings, rather than the other long list that you made; but fine...

@Helen pointed out, above:

'Israel men and women wore gold ear rings ...when Moses was taking gifts of gold and precious things for the building of the tabernacle and the vessels...they all took out their gold to give as offerings

EX 35 “And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD.”

Numbers 31 "We have therefore brought an oblation for the LORD, what every man hath gotten, of jewels of gold, chains, and bracelets, rings, earrings, and tablets, to make an atonement for our souls before the LORD.” '

So I suppose also in order to try to discredit what Helen has pointed out, namely that men of Israel in the Bible did, as it happen, wear earrings, some ppl would then say that although they clearly did, they supposedly ought not to have, and that therefore this supposedly proves that it's unbiblical.

(And so it goes...)

But I'm not putting words into your mouth. Thanks for your comment.

Reactions: Josho

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I guess this thread is about earrings, rather than the other long list that you made; but fine...

'Israel men and women wore gold ear rings ...when Moses was taking gifts of gold and precious things for the building of the tabernacle and the vessels...they all took out their gold to give as offerings

EX 35 “And they came, both men and women, as many as were willing hearted, and brought bracelets, and earrings, and rings, and tablets, all jewels of gold: and every man that offered offered an offering of gold unto the LORD.”

Numbers 31 "We have therefore brought an oblation for the LORD, what every man hath gotten, of jewels of gold, chains, and bracelets, rings, earrings, and tablets, to make an atonement for our souls before the LORD.” '

So I suppose also in order to try to discredit what Helen has pointed out, namely that men of Israel in the Bible did, as it happen, wear earrings, some ppl would then say that although they clearly did, they supposedly ought not to have, and that therefore this supposedly proves that it's unbiblical.

(And so it goes...)

Wow, good spotting their mate. Haha

Reactions: farouk

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How about wedding rings? That was a pagan custom.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

(And so it goes...)

I guess it's just coincidence that a few months after being released from captivity and bondage, Israel was released also from those things that captivity had imposed upon them. Loving not the things of this world was not just a NT maxim it seems.

And I guess this thread is about earrings, rather than the other long list that you made; was merely a quick off the cuff rehash of all the threads you have created since your arrival a year or two ago, and your unabashed promotion of all the above.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since it's "necessary" to give people a hard time, I even heard of ppl who are "against" wedding rings and use James 2.2.
I've never heard that interpretation of James 2. Interesting. I'd say misguided but interesting.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I've never heard that interpretation of James 2. Interesting. I'd say misguided but interesting.
I agree it's marginal and bizarre. But the dogged vehemence with which some ppl pursue it is frankly ghastly. I have even heard of invited preachers arriving to preach and being told by hosts that they can't preach as invited unless they removed their wedding rings. (I would be inclined to turn around and go home.)

Reactions: Giuliano

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree it's marginal and bizarre. But the dogged vehemence with which some ppl pursue it is frankly ghastly. I have even heard of invited preachers arriving to preach and being told by hosts that they can't preach as invited unless they removed their wedding rings. (I would be inclined to turn around and go home.)
I wouldn't hang around. They sound extremely legalistic and judgmental. Haven't they read Romans 14 where Paul says not to argue over such things like what food is acceptable, what day of the week to keep, etc.?

Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

Reactions: Josho

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I wouldn't hang around. They sound extremely legalistic and judgmental. Haven't they read Romans 14 where Paul says not to argue over such things like what food is acceptable, what day of the week to keep, etc.?

Romans 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
I would personally take the line — in keeping with the spirit of Romans 14 — that publicly repudiating my wife's gift of a wedding ring in order to appease such mindless legalism would itself be a gross act of stumbling and misleading young and weak believers.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would personally take the line — in keeping with the spirit of Romans 14 — that publicly repudiating my wife's gift of a wedding ring in order to appease such mindless legalism would itself be a gross act of stumbling and misleading young and weak believers.
I think most people use wedding rings as signs of love. The custom may have started off as pagan, but it isn't that anymore. For a man to remove a wedding ring to placate legalists seems to me like an offense against his wife. Perhaps it would be a symbolic offense, but I still don't approve. A man might also remove his ring in a bar -- that may sound harmless, but it might lead to picking up women who don't know he's married.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think most people use wedding rings as signs of love. The custom may have started off as pagan, but it isn't that anymore. For a man to remove a wedding ring to placate legalists seems to me like an offense against his wife. Perhaps it would be a symbolic offense, but I still don't approve. A man might also remove his ring in a bar -- that may sound harmless, but it might lead to picking up women who don't know he's married.
It would be sobering for the legalists to reflect - in that connection - that they would be really behaving like strange women in a bar (if 'sober' is really the word for those who are 'drunk' on legalism and eisegesis - reading into Scripture things that are not there).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Renniks Studding one's earlobes on the part of either gender - whether through peer pressure or personal initiative - may be the work of a moment in town on a busy Saturday; and - like you said - bears scant relation to one's long term spiritual and eternal state.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Was it mindless legalism that promoted the apostle John to say,
KJV 1 John 2
15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

All inspired writer once said...
1 John 2:16
If all who profess to be followers of Christ were truly sanctified, their means, instead of being spent for needless and even hurtful indulgences, would be turned into the Lord's treasury, and Christians would set an example of temperance, self-denial, and self-sacrifice. Then they would be the light of the world. The world is given up to self-indulgence. "The lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life" control the masses of the people. But Christ's followers have a holier calling.

Reactions: amadeus